HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Isles' Fans Venting Thread: "Somebody hit somebody!"

Old
11-22-2011, 09:04 AM
bossys4cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
I'm being serious here. Why do we give a **** anymore? I personally don't for one reason. Because the owner doesn't care. Most upper management doesn't care. And now, the team on the ice doesn't care. So my question to you guys is... if they don't care (and it's obvious now), why do us fans even give them the time of day anymore? What's the point?

I see posts on here from people who are obviously affected by this team... who let their failures affect their everyday life. I feel bad for those people. I used to be one of those people. I would take every loss personally and it would ruin my night. I look back on those days and I am thankful I am not in that boat any longer. But too many of you still are and I ask why? I get that you are fans. I get it. But if ANY team is NOT worth your anger/frustration, it's THIS team. They simply don't care. Don't waste your time on something that couldn't give a **** about you.

There are TWO guys in this organization that care. Cappy and Tavares. That's it. That's not enough. This team is an absolute embarrassment. I could accept it if they were this bad while at least giving an effort. But even the effort isn't there anymore. And once the effort is gone, so am I. You don't want to play for your fans?... then a big **** off from me to you.

I think maybe a lot of us are just sports masochists. I agree with you 100%, it's pretty much a big slap in the face now that its coming from the players. We're used it to from Wang and likes of those a-holes in the front office, but to have our players basically turn their back on us? yeah, it's about time to say piss off

bossys4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:52 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Dude... don't let them do that to you. That used to be me. Not anymore. And let me tell you, it's a great feeling. Don't let this team get you down. They aren't worth it.
This comes with age. You juts have more things to worry about than a crappy hockey team. It becomes less and less important as you get older. And they get crappier.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:08 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Capuano is horrible. The teams got no balls, except for a few guys. The toughness they lack is on BPT, but the genius behind the bench keeps Rolston/Pandolfo/Reasoner out there bc they're "leaders". HA. Doing a great job leading this team to crap. Crapuano has no idea what he's doing. The team gelled last year bc of guys like Konopka & Haley sticking up for everyone. This team is softer than a girls HS bowling team. Absolute disgrace.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Capuano is horrible. The teams got no balls, except for a few guys. The toughness they lack is on BPT, but the genius behind the bench keeps Rolston/Pandolfo/Reasoner out there bc they're "leaders". HA. Doing a great job leading this team to crap. Crapuano has no idea what he's doing. The team gelled last year bc of guys like Konopka & Haley sticking up for everyone. This team is softer than a girls HS bowling team. Absolute disgrace.
Capuano doesn't know what he's doing. I called him clueless Jack last year when he came on board. But you can tell the guy cares. You can tell he's taking this hard... unlike the players. Cappy has to go, but even when he does, this team doesn't have the horses or the heart.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:13 AM
frozen wombat

Oh how glorious it would have been to wake up this morning and read all over NHL.com how Crosby was stifled during his first game back. How the Islanders held him to two shots and banged him around all game. Imagine seeing on ESPN how the Islanders were determined and successful at spoiling Crosby's return, how he didn't look rusty but would take a few games to click it into gear.

But instead I'm hoping to hear news about heads rolling in the Isles organization.

frozen wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Macch

Garth has a plan. The Islanders are staying the course.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:30 AM
stranger34

Quote:

Something tells me the presence of those 3 in the lineup has more to do with Snow than Capuano

Capuano likes team toughness. Gun to my head I bet he wants Gillies and Haley up here while Snow wants Nino, and the aforementioned 3.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:36 AM
luki here

Quote:
I wish we could have seen Konopka and Haley in the team, cause then this endless: "with them everything woulda been fine" stuff would end. I believe we would be in exactly the same situation as now. Konopka brought very little to this team and haley apparently hasnt earned his time with the islanders.

Would I prefer a 2nd tough player next to martin? definetly. But perhaps one who can also play nhl level hockey...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:43 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Something tells me the presence of those 3 in the lineup has more to do with Snow than Capuano
Capuano likes team toughness. Gun to my head I bet he wants Gillies and Haley up here while Snow wants Nino, and the aforementioned 3.
I'm getting a very similar vibe.

Up until this last loss, I've been one of Snow's more vocal defenders....not anymore. Capuano's frustration earn some respect as he's not mailing it in, but this roster and front office both need blown up, from Wang all the way down. I still see the origin of this mess to undoubtedly be Wang, but it's finally spilled over to Snow enough for me to just want the front office and half the players to get washed out. Just build around Tavares and 6 or 7 other players and get the rest the hell off of Long Island. No more Wang, no more Snow, and Capuano & Weight can be re-united in Bridgeport as reward for showing emotion. Maybe in 3 years after an owner that gives a damn and a GM who gets a little more respect around the league, you can re-enter the bench when the Isles actually have a winning environment.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:00 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
I wish we could have seen Konopka and Haley in the team, cause then this endless: "with them everything woulda been fine" stuff would end. I believe we would be in exactly the same situation as now. Konopka brought very little to this team and haley apparently hasnt earned his time with the islanders.

Would I prefer a 2nd tough player next to martin? definetly. But perhaps one who can also play nhl level hockey...
Haley has sure earned a place on the islanders over Rolston and Pandalfo. What have either of them done? Won cups how many years ago? On other teams? Screw them. Haley is our heart. He never gave up like this team has. I'm not even saying we would be different with Haley, but we certainly couldn't be worse, and at least he'd be out there trying, and smacking somebody in the mouth when needed.

Instead we have Comeau standing there wtaching when JT is getting crosschecked over and over on the ground by the Aves. we are paying to watch. Show some fire!!

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:15 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post

I believe this has more to do with Weight, who I believe has more power than Snow and Capuano at this point.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:16 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post

Maybe not 'fine,' but I'd bet $50 that they wouldn't be giving up so quickly/easily. Same record? Very possible, as they still have things to learn, but the response to losing 6-0 & 5-0 in consecutive games would be far more akin to the kind of aggression that helps you stop a streak, opposed to the kind of resignation that precludes doing anything about it. I'd rather see them ticked off, hitting everything that moves and reminding the other team they they're still at least playing men rather than mail it in. For 10 weeks last year, they weren't mailing it in. Konopka was a part of that, and a fairly big one judging from lack of extra effort the team is showing so far.

Regardless, the problems are to numerous for me to know them all; I just know playing like you have a pair is a good starting point. Even if he did nothing else to endear himself to ownership, management or various parts of the fanbase, he inspired that from a lifeless team.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:30 AM
TheOneArmedMan

Leaf fan coming in peace. I feel your pain guys. Our team has sucked since 1967 and most recently for the last 7 years without any playoffs. I have a feeling we won't make the playoffs in 2012 either because we started sucking again recently. We just have no consistency.

Last edited by TheOneArmedMan: 11-22-2011 at 07:01 PM.
TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Satan'sIsland81

What does he do?

I am going to make this a very simple question. Despite what I or anybody else on here thinks about Capuano, when he comes to work he is clearly doing SOMETHING -- running practice, coach the team, etc. -- whether he does it the right or wrong way is not the point of this post.

Everybody already knows my opinion on Garth Snow so I am not going to waste my time with another long rant. I simply want an answer to this question, can someone please explain to me, when Garth Snow wakes up in the morning and reports to work, what exactly he does? He does not make trades, he does not get in the bidding for any top free agents and he is clearly not responsible for traveling around to do consistent scouting. So again, I ask what does he do each day of the work week to earn a paycheck that most of us would dream about getting?

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:39 AM
StrongIslanders90

We need to Occupy Nassau Coliseum!!!! I feel like im watching my favorite sports franchise get closer and closer to relocation.....ATL had no time table....We know when our lease runs out.....We need to come together as fans and really do somthing drastic.....There is no reason in a salary cap era that a team should suck as much as we do.......

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
I am going to make this a very simple question. Despite what I or anybody else on here thinks about Capuano, when he comes to work he is clearly doing SOMETHING -- running practice, coach the team, etc. -- whether he does it the right or wrong way is not the point of this post.

Everybody already knows my opinion on Garth Snow so I am not going to waste my time with another long rant. I simply want an answer to this question, can someone please explain to me, when Garth Snow wakes up in the morning and reports to work, what exactly he does? He does not make trades, he does not get in the bidding for any top free agents and he is clearly not responsible for traveling around to do consistent scouting. So again, I ask what does he do each day of the work week to earn a paycheck that most of us would dream about getting?
Probably the same thing most GMs do during a normal work day... the proficiency at which he does it compared to other GM's may be different however...

I feel as if this should be in the rant thread *someone beat me to it haha*

Last edited by Noreaster96: 11-22-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: done
Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:57 AM
scott99

For those who are letting it bother you mentally and physically, you need to take a step back, it's not that important, it's just sports. One of my favorite things on earth is watching hockey. If you're like me, don't let it ruin your love of the sport, there are other games to watch, other teams to watch. College Hockey, Junior Hockey, the WJHC. I'm not saying I stop watching the Islanders, I still try to catch as many games as possible. BUT, I realize they aren't a playoff team, I realized that this summer when they did nothing to help the team. The reasons I watch is to watch the young guys progress.

I love watching Tavares play, he's such an intense young guy, who puts in the effort to get better, sometimes from year to year, and sometimes from game to game. I like watching Hamonic and Grabner, I love seeing Martin progress into one of the better checking forwards in the league. I enjoyed watching Montoya play, and I hope he gets a chance when he comes back. I love watching Niederreiter's style of play.

What everyone has to understand is, this is rock bottom. The future of this team is very bright. This team has NEVER had the sheer amount of quality prospects plying their trade in Junior, College, and International hockey. I agree that the present sucks big time, with no immediate aleviation of the pain we are going through, unless Snow just grows a pair and deletes what's not working. BUT, the future is very bright. The large amount of great prospects we have in the pipeline is mind boggling. Do I think they will all work out ? No I don't, but even if half of them work out, this will be a very dangerous team in 2 years.

We as fans need to weather the storm, basically understand it's not going to get better immediately. Trades are coming, I can feel it (Bailey and Comeau's day's are numbered I'm sure), a coaching change will come. It may get worse than better this season, but I never felt this was a good team as is, so I didn't expect much. I think we just have to be rational and realistic. Hopefully some of those who are struggling come around, and make this season a bit more interesting.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:14 PM
rollin109

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
For those who are letting it bother you mentally and physically, you need to take a step back, it's not that important, it's just sports. One of my favorite things on earth is watching hockey. If you're like me, don't let it ruin your love of the sport, there are other games to watch, other teams to watch. College Hockey, Junior Hockey, the WJHC. I'm not saying I stop watching the Islanders, I still try to catch as many games as possible. BUT, I realize they aren't a playoff team, I realized that this summer when they did nothing to help the team. The reasons I watch is to watch the young guys progress.

I love watching Tavares play, he's such an intense young guy, who puts in the effort to get better, sometimes from year to year, and sometimes from game to game. I like watching Hamonic and Grabner, I love seeing Martin progress into one of the better checking forwards in the league. I enjoyed watching Montoya play, and I hope he gets a chance when he comes back. I love watching Niederreiter's style of play.

What everyone has to understand is, this is rock bottom. The future of this team is very bright. This team has NEVER had the sheer amount of quality prospects plying their trade in Junior, College, and International hockey. I agree that the present sucks big time, with no immediate aleviation of the pain we are going through, unless Snow just grows a pair and deletes what's not working. BUT, the future is very bright. The large amount of great prospects we have in the pipeline is mind boggling. Do I think they will all work out ? No I don't, but even if half of them work out, this will be a very dangerous team in 2 years.

We as fans need to weather the storm, basically understand it's not going to get better immediately. Trades are coming, I can feel it (Bailey and Comeau's day's are numbered I'm sure), a coaching change will come. It may get worse than better this season, but I never felt this was a good team as is, so I didn't expect much. I think we just have to be rational and realistic. Hopefully some of those who are struggling come around, and make this season a bit more interesting.

Personally the problem for me is not that they are losing. I can take a loss. Im sure many on these boards didnt even expect playoffs this year but still stick with the team because of all the promise that you have mentioned.

The problem is the way they are losing, THEY DONT CARE! why should we? I like many others are just completely numb to it at this point. I just doesnt matter to me anymore. I feel like as long as Wang has a hold on this team there is no future. Honestly if I found out today that he sold and they were moving to Quebec I would be happy.

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
What everyone has to understand is, this is rock bottom.
Is it though?

Haven't we hit "rock bottom" every year the past few years? I figured the 20 game losing streak last year was "rock bottom".

Point being... with this team, every time you think you hit rock bottom, it can, and most probably will always get worse. So I hope you're right. I hope this rock bottom is the last because I don't know how many more rock bottoms this franchise can handle.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:48 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Is it though?

Haven't we hit "rock bottom" every year the past few years? I figured the 20 game losing streak last year was "rock bottom".

Point being... with this team, every time you think you hit rock bottom, it can, and most probably will always get worse. So I hope you're right. I hope this rock bottom is the last because I don't know how many more rock bottoms this franchise can handle.
I used to think that Jerry Springer was rock-bottom television programming....but then I found Maury Povich, and a NEW BOTTOM...and just when I thought we were at bottom, Jersey Shore came along.

Bottom has lost it's meaning at this point. maybe the Kardashians can shed some light? Or those women that put their 6 year old daughters in beauty contests - now that's bottom. Or is it?

Anyway, I'm not convinced this is bottom for the NYIslanders. They got shelled 6-0 and 5-0 to (arguably) the two best teams in the NHL. It was a spanking and a reality check (for those who didn't understand the reality check from last season, or the year before, or the year before, or the year before.....

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:20 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
Haley has sure earned a place on the islanders over Rolston and Pandalfo. What have either of them done? Won cups how many years ago? On other teams? Screw them. Haley is our heart. He never gave up like this team has. I'm not even saying we would be different with Haley, but we certainly couldn't be worse, and at least he'd be out there trying, and smacking somebody in the mouth when needed.
But we want haley to improve, so best for him to have to earn his time on the islanders. While rolston, reasoner and pandolfo arent getting any better anyways. If we send haley up without him having earned it (he has apparently started playing better in the ahl, so perhaps he will be called up in the near future), that wont help him or anyone else in bridgeport.

I think haley has a future on this team, I like how many things he could bring to the island. But judging him on last year is nonsense.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:24 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Maybe not 'fine,' but I'd bet $50 that they wouldn't be giving up so quickly/easily. Same record? Very possible, as they still have things to learn, but the response to losing 6-0 & 5-0 in consecutive games would be far more akin to the kind of aggression that helps you stop a streak, opposed to the kind of resignation that precludes doing anything about it. I'd rather see them ticked off, hitting everything that moves and reminding the other team they they're still at least playing men rather than mail it in. For 10 weeks last year, they weren't mailing it in. Konopka was a part of that, and a fairly big one judging from lack of extra effort the team is showing so far.

Regardless, the problems are to numerous for me to know them all; I just know playing like you have a pair is a good starting point. Even if he did nothing else to endear himself to ownership, management or various parts of the fanbase, he inspired that from a lifeless team.
But he can be more than just a enforcer/leader figure. I agree with most of the things you said, but I would like haley to get a chance to feel self-confident and on a good roll when he does come up to the nhl. We expect a lot from him anyways, so I believe we need him to show that he is ready to shoulder the responsibility.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:25 PM
bossys4cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneArmedMan View Post
Leaf fan coming in peace. I feel your pain guys. Our team has sucked for the last 7 years without any playoffs. I have a feeling we won't make the playoffs in 2012 either because we started sucking again recently. We just have no consistency.

You don't quite understand this kind of pain at least your team is not really going anywhere soon (we have 2015 to look forward to), but thank you for your sympathy.

bossys4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
Quote:
Is it though?

No, no, no you got it all wrong man. Every year we think we hit rock bottom, the next season they show us there is somehow a level lower!

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:32 PM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

Here is my official realization:

-- I will no longer support Wang/Snow... Meaning I will not attend anymore home games, not that I get to much being in DC. If I attend a home game, I will go through stubhub and not buy anything from the NVMC (Concessions and Merchandise)

-- I will still watch and root for my Isles with the realization that they SUCK and I will just watch for enjoyment of hockey. When the current game is out of hand I will turn off and watch something else.

-- I will no longer have unrealistic expectations for this team... Meaning if hockey publications have us in the playoff hunt, I will no longer buy in and make expectations based on my opinion. If Snow/Wang says they will be active in Free Agency, I will not buy in and just expect nothing or over-the-hill garbage.

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote