HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News From Around the League Part XX: One more X and we're all banned

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
News From Around the League Part XX: One more X and we're all banned

Raffi Torres isn't being called a racist by anyone in hockey circles, just that he shouldn't have colored his skin because of the stigma attached to blackface, that's all.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Tao Jones

The first Native in the NHL was Fred Sasakamoose, whom played for the Chicago Blackhawks. Although his career in the NHL was short, his contributions were insurmountable.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:19 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Raffi Torres isn't being called a racist by anyone in hockey circles, just that he shouldn't have colored his skin because of the stigma attached to blackface, that's all.
So he should dress as Jay-Z with a white face. That's some fail.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:25 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

No more racism talk. PLEASE!

Old
11-01-2011, 11:29 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
The first Native in the NHL was Fred Sasakamoose, whom played for the Chicago Blackhawks. Although his career in the NHL was short, his contributions were insurmountable.
There's still those Native Americans who feel any logo with the portrayal of an indian is spitting in the face of native americans because of how they were violently overtaken when the English came along.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Oops, didn't see there was a new thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Zachy Poo View Post
Sup with Calgary? They havent had the best start ever and now they are getting pounded by the Canucks.

Oh, wait, they have the exact same record as we do.
The Canucks are cursed in October. Flames were just unlucky to be scheduled on game 1 of their turnaround.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:10 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
So he should dress as Jay-Z with a white face. That's some fail.
It's ****ing Halloween for crying out loud and yeah, was Raffi supposed to dress as Jay-Z with a white face? The guy would've had to explain his ****ing costume to every single person he'd meet

It's not as if he did it on december 3rd when grocery shoping, it's october 31st people, relax.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:27 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Holy crap. The Wings were tackling Harding tonight!

Old
11-02-2011, 04:02 AM
HeliDevil
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Devil 23 View Post
There's still those Native Americans who feel any logo with the portrayal of an indian is spitting in the face of native americans because of how they were violently overtaken when the English came along.
it was more than just the english though. another thing on this topic..every helicopter (to my knowledge) in use by the u.s. army has been designated the name of a certain native american tribe (i.e. kiowa, apache, blackhawk, chinook, etc.) so i'm not sure of the gripe especially when these very machines are being used to kill people, while the sports teams representing the tribes are just playing a game. (see und fighting sioux).

anyway, i don't have a problem with the costume torres decided to use. blackface is not the same, and there are major differences. let's not mistake this for what it was. he was not any african-american, he was a specific one. and except for the skin part, he was not attempting anything more (as most blackface acts were).

i remember a specific case when my friend who goes to school in ct dressed up as tiger woods and dyed his skin black. my other friend (an african-american), had no problem with it. i don't see how anyone else has a beef with it. mind you it is only the hf viewers as far as i have read so far.

Last edited by HeliDevil: 11-02-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old
11-02-2011, 05:01 AM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

To end the racism talk in all directions

Dwayne Wade painted his face white to be Justin Timberlake. There was no outrage over this so since Torres was (as been pointed out) a specific person, end the conversation.

Old
11-02-2011, 05:18 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post

Dwayne Wade painted his face white to be Justin Timberlake. There was no outrage over this so since Torres was (as been pointed out) a specific person, end the conversation.
Stupid double standards.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Kessel, Lehtonen and Khabibulin named NHL players of the month for October.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post

It doesn't end it at all. Good thing you stuck to science, because history is clearly not your thing. whiteface was never used en masse to degrade white people. It's not the same thing at all.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:30 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Neither has dressing up as Jay-Z. Note how I didn't say "blackface" because the two should not be confused.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

vCash: 369
putting on dark paint to impersonate a person of color is not going blackface.

THIS IS

It is easy for a person without an agenda to see the difference. It is easier for a person with inside knowledge of who Torres is and the fact he is a fan of JayZ too.

Looking to be offended is so 2000, we've moved onto the decade of entitlement.

Q: How do you think the unthinkable?
A: With an itheberg.
Old
11-02-2011, 09:42 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
It doesn't end it at all. Good thing you stuck to science, because history is clearly not your thing. whiteface was never used en masse to degrade white people. It's not the same thing at all.
It's a freaking costume for halloween. Like I said, it's not like he did it on the 3rd of december, where it would be freaking awkward. Would people say the same thing if he bought a Jay-Z mask instead of painting his face?

I really don't know how people can be offended by it to be honest. It's not as if he dressed as a slave or degraded the black community. He was dressed as his favorite hip-hop artist and his gf was dressed as Beyonce.

I just don't get the hate

Old
11-02-2011, 09:44 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
This is getting really annoying now...seriously shut up already.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
It's a freaking costume for halloween. I really don't know how people can be offended by it to be honest. It's not as if he dressed as a slave or degraded the black community. He was dressed as his favorite hip-hop artist and his gf was dressed as Beyonce.

I just don't get the hate
It's because people don't get why it COULD be interpreted as such that is the problem. Everyone saying I don't get the big deal, probably don't know why it could be a big deal. RG is NOT one of those people, he knows what blackface is/was. If everyone was like him, then it wouldn't be a problem for anyone, but they aren't, so it is.

I don't think Raffi is racist at all.

But that's it.

What's Taylor Hall eating for dinner and why isn't it on twitter?

Old
11-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

just because it was once considered degrading to black people to be in black face doesnt mean what Torres did was disrespectful. this isnt 1900.

I'm sure there are tons of things done nowadays that could have been taken as disrespectful towards some group of people many years ago, too.

Old
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

If Torres showed up in that costume where I was Sunday night, he still wouldn't have been the most controversial.

Some idiot server dressed up like a terrorist. Head wrap, black outfit, even a toy AK-47 slung over his shoulder.

Yeah - that's a great outfit to wear in a town that has one of the largest Air Force bases in it. I'm sure nobody's son/brother might have been killed fighting in Iraq of Afghanistan.

He even scared a little girl when he came to their table and she started crying and later kept saying "go away" every time he came near.

Old
cj225
Work in Progress...

Enough already...not for nothing, but the white folks aren't the ones that keep going on about it.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:48 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Only people who are offended by it are those who want the conflict to be sustained or oversensitive gits who ran out of things to moan about.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:50 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
It's because people don't get why it COULD be interpreted as such that is the problem. Everyone saying I don't get the big deal, probably don't know why it could be a big deal. RG is NOT one of those people, he knows what blackface is/was. If everyone was like him, then it wouldn't be a problem for anyone, but they aren't, so it is.

I don't think Raffi is racist at all.

But that's it.

What's Taylor Hall eating for dinner and why isn't it on twitter?
It might not be the best decision but it was for Halloween. If there was a Jay-Z mask that was available to him, he would've bought one IMO... but there isn't.

I get what you are saying but for it to get so much attention, on a day where people dress any wich way they want, is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Like CJ said... moving on.

Edit: Hey CJ, did you get any news from JVB for your Winnipeg trip?

Old
11-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

Quote:
RG is NOT one of those people, he knows what blackface is/was. If everyone was like him, then it wouldn't be a problem for anyone, but they aren't, so it is.
If everyone was like me - the world would be awesome.

4 day work weeks, common sense would be used to combat idiots in everyday life - and win, bourbon would be an acceptable gift for any occasion, and expected on Christmas. NHL playoffs would be permissible as personal emergency leave of absence, texting while driving would be a felony, everyone's license plate would be their phone number so hookups and tell-offs would be easier, and you'd never get a point for losing a game in a shootout.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:58 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Edit: Hey CJ, did you get any news from JVB for your Winnipeg trip?
No, I haven't heard anything. Honestly, I'm not really expecting anything so if it happens it'll be a shock.

Closed Thread