HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#17 - 11/16/11 - Your New Jersey Devils @ Buffalo Sabres 7:30 PM ET

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
There must be something in the locker room or during practice or something like that we just don't know about it.

We can clearly see the on-ice ups and downs, but there's probably more to this then just his lack of back-checking power.
I don't know about that. Teddy got absolutely TRUCKED by Seidenberg last night, and was neutralized a few other times, and maybe DeBoer is seeing more of that than his dangling that goes nowhere.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
He has left A LOT to be desired in the defensive zone. That's pretty much the only reason I can think of for sitting him. It's a good reason, though I wonder how effective Palmieri can be on that line. Tedenby was the motor that made that line go the past couple games.
It`s a good reason when you`re NJ Devil, that`s true. Hey, I`m not saying we should let him play like Semin, nor suggesting we should give him as much freedom as we give to our star/vet players. But if you want to bench him and send the message, do it after a game where he struggled.

There must be something we just don`t know, like Cowbell said. Or they are overly tough on him. One way or the other, I think he deserved to play tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I don't know about that. Teddy got absolutely TRUCKED by Seidenberg last night, and was neutralized a few other times, and maybe DeBoer is seeing more of that than his dangling that goes nowhere.
1) now that`s a good reason. I believe it was Krejci (or Corvo) though.
2) sure it goes nowhere when your linemates stand still.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:02 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
If his linemates could could only get open...

Old
11-16-2011, 11:04 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
It`s a good reason when you`re NJ Devil, that`s true. Hey, I`m not saying we should let him play like Semin, nor suggesting we should give him as much freedom as we give to our star/vet players. But if you want to bench him and send the message, do it after a game where he struggled.

There must be something we just don`t know, like Cowbell said. Or they are overly tough on him. One way or the other, I think he deserved to play tonight.
I agree more or less, but I would say he did struggle defensively last night. A lot. It just didn't stand out as much because everyone struggled. A lot. The difference is the other guys have shown in the past that they can play well defensively while Tedenby has not.

This is just my guess. It's about the only thing I think of to justify this move. I do wish he was playing tonight, but it is what it is. Learn from it, get better. That's all he can do, and all we can hope he does.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Tedenby does tend to do a lot of flashy dangling that doesn't turn into a scoring chance. It's great for getting offensive pressure, but it needs to turn into shots on goal.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:08 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

When you dangle like that, it just makes it easier for the opposition to contain you. When you are going "globetrotters" for 5 or 10 seconds, you don't have your head up and you are just making your linemates waste energy for nothing.

Maybe that's what DeBoer asked him not to do and he did it anyways. I realise he has quick hands but this isn't the WJC, it's the NHL and you can't be going solo all the time... unless your name is IK.

I think that's why DeBoer is leaving him out of the lineup but I might be wrong.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
In all fairness, it would've been real weird if Palmieri got scratched tonight after scoring 2 goals yesterday.
That's a pretty good point as well.

Quote:
1) now that`s a good reason. I believe it was Krejci (or Corvo) though.
2) sure it goes nowhere when your linemates stand still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
If his linemates could could only get open...
Yeah, that's where playing Carter and Clarkson starts to look like a huge drain on his abilities. At least playing with Josefson and Henrique, Tedenby had someone else with the smarts to look for a scoring chance instead of waiting for Tedenby to do it all himself.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:15 AM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
There must be something in the locker room or during practice or something like that we just don't know about it.

We can clearly see the on-ice ups and downs, but there's probably more to this then just his lack of back-checking power.
So Teddy's such a good and proven player that there has to be another reason he's scratched?!

Let's face it, we like Teddy cause he's a fun kid, flashy and he competes. Coaches don't like him as much because his mind wanders defensively and he just doesn't produce enough offensively (in terms of actually putting up points) to offset that yet.

Old
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Tedenby almost squeezed that shot through on that 2 on 1, but Thomas made a very good save.

Once he gets one, the goals will come more and more.

Old
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Tedenby does tend to do a lot of flashy dangling that doesn't turn into a scoring chance. It's great for getting offensive pressure, but it needs to turn into shots on goal.
That's not just on him. That's on who he is playing with too. You can only do so much yourself, eventually a teammate has to get open.

And in terms of it being something we don't know about, I doubt it. He has a great personality in the locker room and it has sounded like he has been working hard in practice.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

He was always playing well with Clarkson, and when Henrique and Zubrus were the centres on that line it didn't seem to be a problem. Maybe the lack of centre depth is hurting that line right now.

In any case, I'm ok with the decision to bench Teddy for a game. This isn't MacLean benching Kovalchuk for no reason. This is DeBoer benching a young player who still has a lot to learn.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

MacLean benching Kovalchuk was actually the highlight of his terrible career as a HC.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
MacLean benching Kovalchuk was actually the highlight of his terrible career as a HC.
That... and his legendary post game press conferences... y'a know

Old
11-16-2011, 11:35 AM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Agreed, I don't think it's a bad thing at all to hold your highest paid player accountable.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:38 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Agreed, I don't think it's a bad thing at all to hold your highest paid player accountable.
True... but when you are a no name coach like MacLean, it's real hard to do. If Lemaire would've done it, I'm certain IK would've been pissed but would've responded in a much different way.

It was a big gamble on the part of MacLean and it backfired... and that's being generous.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Bondys Champagne
Who dey

That's just not the right time. Tedenby was good offensively and NOT a liability in the defensive zone the last two games, he really improved there in my eyes, and NOW you bench him? Don't know ... At least he tried to create something, give him some good defensive and better all around players to play with on a line and see how it works, but give him the chance instead of bench him. I think he's the only one of the younger players who didn't get a chance to play on a top line yet. DeBoer tried so much, why not Tedenby together with Parise? Now you bench him and one of the few players on our team who create something are out. I don't like it at all, especially now ...

Old
11-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Yeah, I liked the move itself, shows the players that no matter what name you have on your back, if you don`t play the way this game is supposed to be played you`re gonna get benched. The decision had no ground though. Simply because Kovalchuk was not nearly the only/the biggest reason why we sucked.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:45 AM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
True... but when you are a no name coach like MacLean, it's real hard to do. If Lemaire would've done it, I'm certain IK would've been pissed but would've responded in a much different way.

It was a big gamble on the part of MacLean and it backfired... and that's being generous.
So he's supposed to let Kovy walk all over him and let everyone knows he has no authority right off the bat? That's a real great way to get respect.

Where the Devils botched that was PR wise, not coming clean about the reason initially and letting themselves get mocked worldwide for healthy scratching the guy they spent a summer trying to sign.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:49 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Tedenby is scratched and I'm not angry. He's a good player who could be a great player, but he's at the mercy of the LW surplus. DeBoer is grooming him for the future

Old
11-16-2011, 11:50 AM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Yeah, I liked the move itself, shows the players that no matter what name you have on your back, if you don`t play the way this game is supposed to be played you`re gonna get benched. The decision had no ground though. Simply because Kovalchuk was not nearly the only/the biggest reason why we sucked.
He got scratched for missing and being late to meetings, plural. Had nothing to do with scapegoating him.

This is what I meant by the Devils screwing it up PR wise. People still think it was about finding a scapegoat. They only leaked the truth after getting ridiculed all over the place.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

teddy had some good shifts last night, and a lot where he was nonexistent. he needs to understand he is not a Ďgivení every night, like ZP or kovy. if teddy is the type of player that can learn from this, then good. if not, then I donít want him out there anyway. i have a feeling he'll bounce back just fine

Old
11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
So he's supposed to let Kovy walk all over him and let everyone knows he has no authority right off the bat? That's a real great way to get respect.

Where the Devils botched that was PR wise, not coming clean about the reason initially and letting themselves get mocked worldwide for healthy scratching the guy they spent a summer trying to sign.
When you have zero experience behind the bench, like MacLean had, you don't bench a guy that just got awarded a life time contract because he missed a meeting. You bench him for a period or half the game but you don't act like your Scotty Bowman when your name is John MacLean and you have zero background.

It makes the coach look like a fool, it makes the organisation look like idiots, it makes the players scratch their heads when we needed him more then ever at the time and it brings, like you said, negative media attention when we had more then our share of it because of the signing in the 1st place.

The fact that we had to dress 15 or 16 players cause of our cap issues, that was caused by the IK signing, didn't help as well.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Tedenby is a resilient and coachable kid. He'll come back from this having learned something and improved.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:06 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
When you have zero experience behind the bench, like MacLean had, you don't bench a guy that just got awarded a life time contract because he missed a meeting. You bench him for a period or half the game but you don't act like your Scotty Bowman when your name is John MacLean and you have zero background.

It makes the coach look like a fool, it makes the organisation look like idiots, it makes the players scratch their heads when we needed him more then ever at the time and it brings, like you said, negative media attention when we had more then our share of it because of the signing in the 1st place. The fact that we had to dress 15 or 16 players didn't help as well.
Another misconception, the Devils had a full roster by then, after the Rolston injury a week or so before that.

If it was about 'one' meeting, I'd agree...that would have been shooting a mosquito with a bazooka. It wasn't the first time it happened, though.

Mac did a lot worse by Hedberg, pulling him after 80 seconds. To me, that was a lot more uncalled for and probably when the team lost all respect for him.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:09 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Another misconception, the Devils had a full roster by then, after the Rolston injury a week or so before that.

If it was about 'one' meeting, I'd agree...that would have been shooting a mosquito with a bazooka. It wasn't the first time it happened, though.

Mac did a lot worse by Hedberg, pulling him after 80 seconds. To me, that was a lot more uncalled for and probably when the team lost all respect for him.
Whatever... he's gone and that's all that matters really.

Closed Thread