HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs rookie game #2 vs Florida

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2004, 07:27 PM
F. Duchemin

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
Habs rookie game #2 vs Florida

Ok I was at the game.

First of all, Kostitsyn played good but not great. He was in front of the goalie on the first goal ( a defenseman maybe Petit ) on the habs in the first period and did 2 really nice setup play on which his teammates should have scored in second period. In first period, he felt on ice often and did maybe 2-3 great attack in the game with stickhandling move and strong acceleration. My point of view is that a lots of players there, were there to impress and they werent all skilled so they had to check everything in order to impress but it is not Kostitsyn game to bang everything so he must have been a little "disgusted" by the way the game was played.

I didnt really liked what i have seen of locke. His setup werent accurate and is shot was weak. Today he wasnt really good, i dont think he helped the team.

Chipchura was strong and great today. Leading attack on his line, played great PK and good in the battle for the puck.

Despite the score, Halak impressed me. He was really quick. At one time in the game it was 3-2 and he had 2 goal between the legs, 1 from the blue line and the others was a rebound by Stewart i think. I just think that when the put went in he couldnt make anything else than watch it on the 3 other goals. He made 3-4 impressive save with quick reflexe.

Bonneau really ripped someone at the beginning of the game, dont know who it was but i guess he learned who bonneau was. Bonneau landed maybe 5 severe punch in the face.

Saw a little of lambert and he didnt do much on offense and again...this type of gang bang game wasnt maybe his type too.

Flood had a nice goal when Ferland or Chipchura were in front of the goalie in PP, i think. It was a hard accurate shot and went throuth the legs of the man in front of the goalie who jumped a little to let the puck go into the net.

I didnt take note throught the game so...i dont remember everything right now. Maybe some others poster can comments the game.

Oh by the way, the game finished 5-2. But it wasnt a blowout...the canadiens were near in the score almost all the game and they even lead maybe 28 min.

Old
09-12-2004, 07:42 PM
CH74

Thanks a lot for your resume of the game.

Old
09-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Dragon

I went to the game too.

Halak is the best player in the Habs team. He is quick and he read the play well.
Mark Flood skates well and lay out some good hits.
Chipchura did not have a good game. He lost almost all the faceoff. He is slow comparing to other prospects. His skill level is limited. However one has to keep in mind that he maybe one of the youngest player in that game.
Kosts showed a lot of speed and skill. He is not weak but he has to get stronger to make the team.
I am quite impressed with Locke. He is not slow. His skating is much better than I expect. He has good skills and he is not as weak as Ribs. I like him better than Ribs.

Old
09-12-2004, 08:00 PM
toughstuff

I was at the first game and did not leave disappointed by Locke. He certainly is not a bad skater. He looks stronger than last year. His work ethic is good.

He is simply someone who will need to get accustomed to this level of competition.

Those who say that Locke will never make it are simply very impatient. He will come around. He will never be a great player but should be decent.

Old
09-12-2004, 08:05 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Who won?

Old
09-12-2004, 08:25 PM
rocketlives

Thanks for the reports guys, but did you all watch the same game?

Old
09-12-2004, 09:27 PM
montreal25m

I disagree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
I went to the game too.

Halak is the best player in the Habs team. He is quick and he read the play well.
Mark Flood skates well and lay out some good hits.
Chipchura did not have a good game. He lost almost all the faceoff. He is slow comparing to other prospects. His skill level is limited. However one has to keep in mind that he maybe one of the youngest player in that game.
Kosts showed a lot of speed and skill. He is not weak but he has to get stronger to make the team.
I am quite impressed with Locke. He is not slow. His skating is much better than I expect. He has good skills and he is not as weak as Ribs. I like him better than Ribs.

I was there too. I think Locke was horrible. He did nothing out there. For someone who has led the OHL in scoring the last couple of years, I expected more. Kost set him up beautifully a couple of times and just couldn't finish.

Chipchura impressed me actually. He just does everything so well. He was on the first PK unit, second powerplay usually. His hockey sense is incredible, reads the play well and has some good offensive skills. Within two years, I really see this guy in a Habs uniform. Just seems so much more complete than anyone on the ice.

Flood is another guy that caught my attention. Very mobile, good shot and he didn't seem out of place in terms physically either. It was a physical game also and he did well.

Kost, well he has flashes where you are like WHOA! You can see the skill level for sure. Other times, well you just see him float around there.

Halak, he played really well.

Old
09-12-2004, 09:44 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
haha, 2 guys loved Locke, and 2 thought he was horrible. Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde over here.

Old
09-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Shabutie

Locke had 3 times the game Chipchura had. He had at least 5 turnovers and setup a few scoring chances. I don't know what you're talking about Kost was nearly invisible this game. Locke has good offensive and defensive awarness, from what I have seen (not just at the tournament but from the ohl). Chipchura did have a bad line, I'll give him that. Our defence was looking hella weak out there today which seemed to please the moronic Florida fans sitting in front of me. God the whole game I spent standing up (after a 2 hour drive might I add) and had these fat goofs in front of me cheering the panthers on. Why was the game in the Smallest possible arena with the seating capacity of like 300 people? Probably the least fun I've had at a hockey game ever

Old
09-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
These reports sucks because everyone is contradicting each other because of their bias towards players

Old
09-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Shabutie

I have no biased opinions. I think Locke played a better game then anyone else (though the only players who played a half decent game were Kost and Chipchura...). Kostitsyn had no really great chances cuz the defence shut him down time after time. Every time he pulled a move they'd lock him down. One thing that did really annoy the crap out of me was Shantz (florida's goalie), he kept slashing our players as they went by, and never got called for any of it.

Old
09-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

So who won the Game?

Old
09-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
These reports sucks because everyone is contradicting each other because of their bias towards players
I dont think its Bias, its has more to do with the way we individually interpret players. We all have different expectations, and see the game differently. Too add to that, non of us are close to being pro scouts, so.......opinions will differ.

As for the reports, thanks guys!!!!!!!!

Old
09-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan
So who won the Game?
Florida, our D was horrible, we didn't stand a chance. Final score was 5-2.

Edit: How many of you people who where at the game got the chance to sit down?

Old
09-12-2004, 11:12 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
It's more that not everyone likes the same kind of players/play and see the game the same way.

Old
09-12-2004, 11:34 PM
F. Duchemin

Quote:
Well i really think locke didnt do much to help. He was really good when i saw him at the prospect camp sooner in the summer. Also thanks supporting us...the posters who try to give their opinion cause not many of us have been able to see the game so we share what we have seen only so other know. It also help making the board alive...which is one of the reason why this board is appreciated.

Old
09-12-2004, 11:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

No one is forcing you to read them. The problem I have with these kinds of posts is that you bring nothing to the thread but yet you put down people that took the time to post what their opinions. This can also prevent others from posting their opinions, as they don't want to hear crap from someone cause they said something another poster didn't agree with.

With prospects, most of it is not cut and dry, so different people will see different things based on different views of the game and different expectations. What readers can do based off their own knowledge is to read it all and take it all in, reading between the lines and forming their own opinions. Most of these prospects are 18-21, and while they are at different levels of development, they all still likely have a few more years or more to continue to develop and progress, so what they do or dont' do at this tournament isn't something to base their future on, it's just a tournament and we'll see what happens over the years.

Old
09-13-2004, 12:15 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin
Well i really think locke didnt do much to help. He was really good when i saw him at the prospect camp sooner in the summer. Also thanks supporting us...the posters who try to give their opinion cause not many of us have been able to see the game so we share what we have seen only so other know. It also help making the board alive...which is one of the reason why this board is appreciated.
I have to agree with Shabutie on this one, Locke played a great game, and was as fast as most of the players on the ice. Created turnovers, got a couple of good shot, set up a couple plays, was by far the one who tryed the hardest. Well Chipchura was pretty good too. That damn Florida goalie wouldnt stop hacking away at players.

Old
09-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin
Ok I was at the game.
great job, I appreicate the ananlysis

Old
09-13-2004, 12:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Good read from the Canadiens site, The team was missing Archer, Urquhart and Labelle to injury, and only had 5 defensemen. Also Jarvis said Danis will fight for the #1 job in Hamilton with the goalie Dallas sends.

Shorthanded rookies fall to Cats
Missing help on the blue line, Canadiens can’t handle Panthers
(09/12/2004)

Alex Dulac-Lemelin was one of three Canadiens who spent time in the penalty box during what ended as a critical stretch of Sunday's game.
PIERREFONDS – Despite being just Day 2 of official play in the 2004 Rookie Tournament, the effect of injuries was felt all too well by the Canadiens.

With only 19 players and five defensemen dressed for Montreal’s Sunday meeting with the Panthers, a strong early effort eventually dissolved in what ended a 5-2 loss to Florida.

Try-out winger Keven Petit provided the lone lead for the Canadiens when he directed a Corey Locke feed past goalie David Shantz 9:04 into the game. Yet he who gave was also he who helped give it away, as Petit was in the penalty box for slashing when Dany Roussin finally beat backstop Jaroslav Halak at the 14:33 mark of the second frame.

Tournament STANDINGS | CANADIENS STATS | SCORING LEADERS (all in French only)
Petit’s infraction had come on the heels of a hooking call on Alex Dulac-Lemelin and a holding call on Francois Caron. The latter pair, both defensemen, signaled the beginning of the fatigue felt by a Montreal squad that proceeded to yield four goals in the third.

The backbreaker was delivered courtesy of Panthers forward Eric Sonnenberg, whose tally at 6:21 of the final stanza came a scant 39 seconds after Canadiens rearguard Mark Flood had tied the game at 2. Flood’s goal had provided a momentary spark for Doug Jarvis’ young charges, who had fallen behind for the first time when Martin Tuma got lucky at the 4:00 mark.

“The second goal was bad,” said Halak, shaking his head. “I wanted to kick the puck to the corner but it went between my legs. That quick score that came later to make it 3-2 really changed the game.”

Though not looking to make excuses, the likely starter for the QMJHL’s Lewiston Maniacs in 2004-05 did admit that after his years playing in Slovakia, he’s still growing used to the North-American sized rinks.

“You see more shots on the smaller ice,” he revealed. “It’s not easy adapting, because everything comes at you quicker than in the international arenas.”

Jarvis, for his part, had a pretty good idea of when things had started to head south.

“We took those three penalties in a row and they eventually scored, which gave them a lift and deflated our team,” he said. “That was probably the turning point in the game. The penalties were the kind of thing we wanted to avoid because we were down to five defensemen, and the penalty-killing took a lot out of them.”

The coach also confirmed that a lack of balance on his roster – think high-flying forwards coupled with developing blue liners – has provided some growing pains thus far.

“You see some of the breakdowns that start to happen [because of that],” he said. “It’s always a coordinated effort – your defense working with your forwards back in your end, and then up the ice – and I thought that in the second half of the game we seemed to lose some steam.”

One of the forwards with an apparent endless reserve of energy, Locke did see a bright spot in his continued development alongside Andrei Kostitsyn on what has emerged thus far as the team’s most exciting line.

“We seem to be getting better every game,” he said with a grin. “A couple times you think he’s going to be in a different spot and I’m sure he thinks the same about me, but those are just adjustments we’ll make as we go along. He’s a great hockey player. A lot of skill, a lot of speed, and if you give him the puck, he’ll do some things. It’s been fun playing with him.”

Both clubs will resume play on Monday, when the Canadiens play the Maple Leafs at 7:30 and the Panthers face the Senators at 4:00.

NOTES: Florida’s Roussin was the linemate of QMJHL sensation Sidney Crosby on the Rimouski Oceanic throughout the 2003-04 season… Shantz stopped 40 of 42 Montreal shots… LW Jimmy Bonneau engaged in some extracurricular activity for the second time in as many games, sparring with D Evan Schafer in the game’s first period… LW Greg Stewart, the 246th overall selection this past June, saw his first action of the rookie camp after missing the first three days with a pulled groin. Two other Stewarts were featured in the teams’ lineups, the Canadiens’ Danny and the Panthers’ Anthony… Try-out D Jonathan Jolette also suited up for the first time in the tournament… C Cory Urquhart missed his second straight game with back spasms. He was joined by D Andrew Archer and RW Olivier Labelle, who were both injured in Saturday’s matchup with the Senators. Archer is expected back on Monday… G Yann Danis and D James Sanford were both healthy scratches. On the topic of Danis, Jarvis confirmed the netminder would battle for the No. 1 spot in Hamilton for the upcoming season. His competition for the spot will come from within the Dallas Stars organization, which is bound as per an agreement between the clubs to provide the Bulldogs with an additional goalie

Old
09-13-2004, 01:17 AM
Bileur

Who did Bonneau fight?

Old
09-13-2004, 01:22 AM
F. Duchemin

LW Jimmy Bonneau engaged in some extracurricular activity for the second time in as many games, sparring with D Evan Schafer in the game’s first period

Old
09-13-2004, 01:23 AM
SuperUnknown

I'm with the others, the more opinions and reviews on the games, the happier I am.

Old
09-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
I'm with the others, the more opinions and reviews on the games, the happier I am.
Me too. I certainly look forward to this stuff.

It's not unusual for people to have differing opinions. Two people can watch the exact same thing happen, and have totally different perspectives.

As for watching prospects, different people appreciate different things. Some like offense; others defense. Some notice gritty play, while others appreciate skating ability. It can be as simple as what side of the rink you're watching from, to see something others have missed. If you like a particular player, you'll focus more on his contributions.

I hope people aren't discouraged from offering their insights. They're all honest appraisals from that person's point of view.

Old
09-13-2004, 12:53 PM

I was at the game as well...me and my friends got there quite early, we left for a bit and when we came back, all the seats were taken, we had to stand/sit on the railings, but it was well worth it...we were standing behind a Florida Panthers scout and George McPhee, the GM of the Caps? both of them were quite busy all game looking over the Habs players on their prospect sheets they had, I managed to sneak a few peaks and they had individual write ups on every player, I wonder what the Caps GM was doing there...I also met Nathan Horton, quite a nice guy, he's actually pretty huge, I met and spoke to Anthony Stewart's dad, I told him that like him, I wished the Habs had traded up to pick his son in that draft, and he replied him too and that we needed more players like his son...spoke with Claude Julien and Trevor Timmins briefly and I also spoke to a Blues scout, don't remember what his name was, but he told me there were only a few prospects who stand out here...he had quite a few nice things to say about A. Stewart, Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Hubbaeur a Leafs prospect or tryout...

As for the game, I tried to follow all the players, but it was quite hard to do from where I was standing, here's a few players that I took quick notes on...

Alexandre Dulac-I thought he was horrible, yet he received alot of icetime it seemed, he was very slow, the only thing I liked about him was his size, but he seemed a step behing everyone, he tries to play physical, but can't seem to locate his man half the time.

Mark Flood-Good skater, good first pass, plays chippy in his own zone, but he's easily overpowered, he's got to put on more strength, seems very wiry on the ice, he's got some offensive potential, and showed a nice shot on his goal.

Didn't pay much attention to the try outs...sorry

G. Stwewart- He was IMO, the most physical forward during this game for the Habs, especially during the 1st and 2nd periods, he hit everything that move, especially during 1 shift where he absolutely layed out some guy, didn't see much of him in the 3rd, he has good size, good skating and seemed to like to stir up things.

D. Stewart-good skater, threw his body around, but missed alot of checks, he seems a little tentative with the puck, he's got some nice moves though, is a small player though and gets easily knocked off the puck.

M. Lambert-One of the better skaters on the ice IMO, has a very nice shot, good size, though he dosen't use it too much, he's got good moves but he likes to stay on the perimeter too much, if he can learn to drive to the net more, he could be a keeper.

M. Lapierre-Always around the puck it seems, he's very physical, he's got good size, though he seems a little skinny, his offensive game has improved since i've seen him last year, but he's still rough around the edges in that regard. I love the chippiness though.

J. Bonneau-When I went to last years tournament, I thought he was horrible, well, he improved alot, though he's still got a ways to go, he crushed the guy he fought against, and he looks huge on the ice, he was a crowd favorite too, his skating is still very choppy, he hit hard and didn't look out of place playing with Chipchura, he fanned on a beautiful pass by Chipchura once, but aprt from that he played his role to a tee.

Now here's a few players I keyed on most of the night...

A.Kostitsyn-Now I know what Kyle Woodlief meant when he said that he becomes alive when he has the puck on his stick, sometimes you'll look at him and he isin't doing anything, but as soon as he gets the puck, he's gone!His skating, shot, passing, stickhandling are all top notch. He likes to start out with the puck in his own end gather up some speed and burst through the neutral zone, he tried a few moves on defenseman, but it seemed like he would always do 1 move too many, I remember once, he got the puck in his own zone, circled back, deked one guy out of his skates, then took on the 2 d-men 1 vs. 2 made a few moves and out a weak backhand on net, but at one point during that move, he had the d-man leaning the other way and could of let go of one of his wrist shots but he decided against it. What surprised me the most about him is his passing, on a couple of occasions, he fed Cory Locke with a few very nice passes but he couldn't do anything with them, Kostitsyn could easily have had 2 or 3 assist. He didn't mind the physical game either as he went into the corners and only 1 did i notice him ending up on the ice as a result...defensively he wasn't great, but he wasn't as bad as I expected, on a few occasions I saw him hanging around the blueline but that's it, he helped his defenseman on a few occasions as well...All in all, when Kostitsyn has the puck on his stick he's very dangerous, in that occasion, he does make me think of Marian Hossa, the way he just attacks the d-man and forces him to back off and he tries to cut through, get around the d-man as well, you can tell when he has the puck that he wants to do something with it...I know some of you were saying he was invisible, but I thought he was everything but, he didn't have a great game, but there were moments where I was just speecheless, and so were my friends who have been hearing me talk about this guy for a while, easily the most talented player on the ice along with Anthony Stewart, he's going to have to improve his play without the puck though, offensively and defensively.

K. Chipchura-Has an NHL body already, he's physical, and a leader on the ice, is a pretty good playmaker, needs to work on his skating, it's not horrible but I think it's the difference between him becoming an effective shutdown center or a good 2 way 2nd line centerman...had a few chances, especially in the 2nd, when he danced his way into the slot but I think he fanned on his shot or something as I was getting ready to start cheering but nothing happened? His shot is weak, he'll also need to work on that, he was a very safe pick, he's got everything he needs to succeed, what kind of role will depend on him, and if he improves some of the things in his game;skating and shooting...he's also a pretty good stickhandler...the 1st player I thought of when I saw him play was Trevor Linden, he plays exactly like him IMO, only difference is Chipchura's left handed.

D.Milroy-Seems like he got bigger, you can tell that he's experienced in this tournament, as he seemed to handle the leadership role quite well, he's got a very nice shot, he's good along the boards and never stops working there, very dangerous around the net, his skating still needs work, although it isin't horrible, dosen't mind the physical stuff, but needs to learn to dish it out more instead of always being on the receiving end, on the the better forwards on the night IMO.

C.Locke- If he got bigger, it dosen't show, nevertheless, he played a good game, he isin't lightning fast, but he's quick, plays a thinking game in the offensive zone and knows how to find his teamates, had a great scoring opportunity like I said but he missed, he likes to pick corners on his shots as his shot is not powerful but it's very accurate, his lower body and upper body is weak, and he got punished a few times against the boards, but I like the way he gets back up...still don't know about him, though it seems as though he can handle his own vs. bigger players, i'd have to see it vs. real pros.

J.Ferland-almost forgot about him...he too has an NHL sized body, one of the leaders on the ice, he works hard all the time, is physical, he improved his skating, and is good along the boards, will be a good 4th liner, probably sooner than later...is alot like Jason Ward, except he's probably not as good offensively, but he's bigger and tougher...

Anyway...that's it for me, some of you may not agree, but that's what I saw from the players, I don't really look at production in a tournament like this, I look at every player individually and take into consideration who they're playing with...

hope this was helpful, any questions feel free to ask...

Last edited by 417: 09-13-2004 at 01:02 PM.
Closed Thread