HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Dreger: leafs offered a 2nd and player

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2011, 07:37 AM
  #1
Rodimus Prime
Registered User
 
Rodimus Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Dreger: leafs offered a 2nd and player

According to a tweet by dregs this morning, leafs were offered, by an undisclosed team, a player and a second round pick for franson.

Pretty interesting, wonder who made the offer, and the caliber of player offered.

Also, I appologise for not posting a link, I'm on an iPhone and that's too much work, hopefully somebody will confirm for me.

Thoughts?

Quote:
DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Leafs offered a player and 2nd round pick from undisclosed team for Franson. Evidently, depth on D is highly valued in Toronto.


Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 11-16-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Added quote: Stolen from igy, thanks for that bud.
Rodimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:39 AM
  #2
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Igy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Haliburton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Leafs offered a player and 2nd round pick from undisclosed team for Franson. Evidently, depth on D is highly valued in Toronto.
Posted this in the trade thread.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:39 AM
  #3
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
According to a tweet by dregs this morning, leafs were offered, by an undisclosed team, a player and a second round pick for franson.

Pretty interesting, wonder who made the offer, and the caliber of player offered.

Also, I appologise for not posting a link, I'm on an iPhone and that's too much work, hopefully somebody will confirm for me.

Thoughts?
Well...time to jump on it. As long as the player isn't a salary dump.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:40 AM
  #4
cps230
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Richmond hill
Posts: 199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
According to a tweet by dregs this morning, leafs were offered, by an undisclosed team, a player and a second round pick for franson.

Pretty interesting, wonder who made the offer, and the caliber of player offered.

Also, I appologise for not posting a link, I'm on an iPhone and that's too much work, hopefully somebody will confirm for me.

Thoughts?
The player is probaby a 3rd liner if the pick is a 2nd rounder

cps230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:41 AM
  #5
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
Posted this in the trade thread.
The 40 page thread where everything new and interesting is hidden. Love those threads.

Don't get why mods always hide news in those long threads.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:41 AM
  #6
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,564
vCash: 500
a trade a coming boys....

regardless let's see what the future holds for us

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:44 AM
  #7
nuffsaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
It think at this time I would rather see a package deal to see a significant player come our way instead of getting 3rd liners and draft picks. Fransen could be a good asset to a package.

nuffsaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:57 AM
  #8
Rodimus Prime
Registered User
 
Rodimus Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
I think it's important to remember dregs main source with the leafs is nonis. This could simply be tactical, in either sense that he wants to drum up interest. Or by not naming team or player, keeping the true value hidden, ie the player being a cap dump, problem player etc.

Rodimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:59 AM
  #9
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuffsaid View Post
It think at this time I would rather see a package deal to see a significant player come our way instead of getting 3rd liners and draft picks. Fransen could be a good asset to a package.
Isn't franson the player who couldn't wait to play for the leafs, and whose uncle is a die hard leafs fan? Poor guy(s) ha. Seems like he never really was in the leaf plans.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:59 AM
  #10
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Pitt better make it a 1st if they are only offering Sid.
i think we are all hoping it's for a significant player...someone who has fallen out of the organization's favour someone who is in a rut and wants out..its how burkie roles. so lets hope we have one...rumour apparently was that paul stastny was a player who was being shopped around for a solid defensemen makes you wonder.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:03 AM
  #11
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Isn't franson the player who couldn't wait to play for the leafs, and whose uncle is a die hard leafs fan? Poor guy(s) ha. Seems like he never really was in the leaf plans.
I think he's certainly in the Leafs plans. If he wasn't he would have been moved by now.

Again, the Leafs are one injury away from him being in full-time.

__________________
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/JE_Iannicello
John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:04 AM
  #12
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
someone who has fallen out of the organization's favour someone who is in a rut and wants out..its how burkie roles. so lets hope we have one...rumour apparently was that paul stastny was a player who was being shopped around for a solid defensemen makes you wonder.
Solid defenseman, key word. I personally want turris. He and colborne could be our 1-2 for the future.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:05 AM
  #13
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,855
vCash: 500
Bet it's NY, if it's a 2nd rd in next year's draft this proposal peaks my interest. As we have seen 2 2nds, can = a first or moving up even further in the draft. More chips you have to play the better.

Not totally given up on Franson, but sitting is not helping his value.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:08 AM
  #14
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Bet it's NY, if it's a 2nd rd in next year's draft this proposal peaks my interest. As we have seen 2 2nds, can = a first or moving up even further in the draft. More chips you have to play the better.

Not totally given up on Franson, but sitting is not helping his value.
The Leafs can make those type of moves at the deadline if they want. Grabovski a pending UFA, maybe someone they look to move at the deadline if they are out of a solid playoff spot (and he remains unsigned). Liles, another candidate.

I don't think anyone is denying that 2nd round picks can be valuable, but it's early to jump on any deal for futures (IMO). Unless you get totally blown out of the water.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:11 AM
  #15
willy29
Registered User
 
willy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
According to a tweet by dregs this morning, leafs were offered, by an undisclosed team, a player and a second round pick for franson.

Pretty interesting, wonder who made the offer, and the caliber of player offered.

Also, I appologise for not posting a link, I'm on an iPhone and that's too much work, hopefully somebody will confirm for me.

Thoughts?
Why would any smart GM offer a decent player plus a draft pick for Franson, who can't crack the terrible Leaf's defense??? If a roster player is being offered, it has to be a salary dump or the player is in a huge slump.

willy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:14 AM
  #16
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
The Leafs can make those type of moves at the deadline if they want. Grabovski a pending UFA, maybe someone they look to move at the deadline if they are out of a solid playoff spot (and he remains unsigned). Liles, another candidate.

I don't think anyone is denying that 2nd round picks can be valuable, but it's early to jump on any deal for futures (IMO). Unless you get totally blown out of the water.
I agree, I trust Burke will move him when his value is greatest. The Kaberle deal is a perfect example. Would like to see Franson play then to improve his value, this is the only issue I worry about, the deal can be taken off the table at any time. Grabo for me is as good as gone, I will be shocked if Leafs keep him with Colborne pushing hard to make the big club, hopefully Kadri can continue his strong play now that he has broken out with a goal. Lots of movement possible, I actually don't think the playoff race will matter, Burke will pull the trigger if it helps this team get closer to the cup. He's not interested in keeping players just to make the playoffs and get blown out in the 1st rd. Team toughness in the top 6 would be a good start.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:21 AM
  #17
Drew311
Catch The Taste
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
I think it's important to remember dregs main source with the leafs is nonis. This could simply be tactical, in either sense that he wants to drum up interest. Or by not naming team or player, keeping the true value hidden, ie the player being a cap dump, problem player etc.
Everything Nonis tells Dreger is tactical. When the Leafs organization wants to get something public i'm sure they go straight to Dreger....within minutes of Dreger tweeting news it's basically world knowledge. Has to be the easiest and quickest way to create interest in a player.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:21 AM
  #18
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
Why would any smart GM offer a decent player plus a draft pick for Franson, who can't crack the terrible Leaf's defense??? If a roster player is being offered, it has to be a salary dump or the player is in a huge slump.
Well we can always hope it's a dumb GM making the offer.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:21 AM
  #19
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Igy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Haliburton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I agree, I trust Burke will move him when his value is greatest. The Kaberle deal is a perfect example. Would like to see Franson play then to improve his value, this is the only issue I worry about, the deal can be taken off the table at any time. Grabo for me is as good as gone, I will be shocked if Leafs keep him with Colborne pushing hard to make the big club, hopefully Kadri can continue his strong play now that he has broken out with a goal. Lots of movement possible, I actually don't think the playoff race will matter, Burke will pull the trigger if it helps this team get closer to the cup. He's not interested in keeping players just to make the playoffs and get blown out in the 1st rd. Team toughness in the top 6 would be a good start.
Colborne will replace Connolly not Grabo. Getting rid of Grabo would be a huge mistake. He's one of the hardest working and toughest forwards on the team.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:22 AM
  #20
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
title is wierd?

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:25 AM
  #21
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
Colborne will replace Connolly not Grabo. Getting rid of Grabo would be a huge mistake. He's one of the hardest working and toughest forwards on the team.
We may have no choice, he's an upcoming UFA and he will command upwards of 3.5 to 4 cap hit in his next contract, a conservative figure, probably 4 years as this will be his chance to cash in after a good year last year. The question for the Leafs is can we afford him and still upgrade our top 6?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:29 AM
  #22
The Iceman
Registered User
 
The Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Dallas lost Gologoski to an injury last night.
Maybe a Raycroft for Franson

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:35 AM
  #23
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 54,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Well we can always hope it's a dumb GM making the offer.
Leafs have so many assistant GM's he could probably be traded to the Leafs.

__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Keon

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:36 AM
  #24
daveleaf
Registered User
 
daveleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
We may have no choice, he's an upcoming UFA and he will command upwards of 3.5 to 4 cap hit in his next contract, a conservative figure, probably 4 years as this will be his chance to cash in after a good year last year. The question for the Leafs is can we afford him and still upgrade our top 6?
I think Grabo has proven that he is a legitimate quality 2nd line centre in the league. I would like to see him resigned long term. He does everything asked of him. At that number he is very affordable. Let him go and you will be looking for years for someone just like him.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:38 AM
  #25
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Air Canada Center
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,011
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
HF value for franson a 3rd round pick

we need to shake things up! i love hearing stuff like this

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.