HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs injury prone, unlucky or just not tough?

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2011, 10:54 AM
mohare

vCash: 500
Leafs injury prone, unlucky or just not tough?

I don't have league wide numbers to compare to, but it seems like the Leafs are having injuries at a rate above league average. Since the information coming out of Leafland is generally unspecific, we don't REALLY know what each injury is.

Personally, I am starting to wonder how severe some of these injuries are. I seem to remember a time when hockey players were tough guys and played through the pain. Now it seems like players are saying 'If i'm not 100%, i'm not playing'.

I guess overall my point is, I believe some of these players aren't injured enough to be missing games. They are only out because they dont have the heart to play through the pain.

Opinions?

Old
11-18-2011, 10:58 AM
mooseOAK*

My opinion is that people should be able to pass a basic IQ test before being able to start discussions.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:59 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
My opinion is that people should be able to pass a basic IQ test before being able to start discussions.

Because most of these injuries mean the Leafs are soft.. right?

Old
11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Loosie

Well they're still walking around under thier own power therefore they should still be playing

I guess my point is, guys usually don't play injured except for the playoffs, during the regular season most guys will not play if they are not 100%. ANd further....how injured do they have to be to not play?

Old
11-18-2011, 11:04 AM
nsleaf

Each player is different and each deals with pain in a different way. To suggest that the players may be wimpy compared to the 'old' days is a bit of a streach. I think your post is going to get flamed pretty bad.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohare View Post
I don't have league wide numbers to compare to, but it seems like the Leafs are having injuries at a rate above league average. Since the information coming out of Leafland is generally unspecific, we don't REALLY know what each injury is.

Personally, I am starting to wonder how severe some of these injuries are. I seem to remember a time when hockey players were tough guys and played through the pain. Now it seems like players are saying 'If i'm not 100%, i'm not playing'.

I guess overall my point is, I believe some of these players aren't injured enough to be missing games. They are only out because they dont have the heart to play through the pain.

Opinions?
You don't even know what the injuries are, but you'll go ahead and say they are soft and should play through the pain.

So your basing your opinion on????? The old days?

Old
11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Ari91

Wow...just wow.

A season is 82 games long and teams need to find a way to survive those 82 games if they want any chance of making it to post-season. Hockey season is not easy on players. Take moment to apply simple common sense. Winning games in the league is hard enough, why make it even harder by icing a line-up of banged up players when you can easily let them heal properly and come back in proper healthy while someone replaces them temporarily. Letting injured players play through unnecessarily only hinders their recovery process off the ice and limits what they are able to contribute on the ice. Neither the player or the team necessarily gains anything from those situations.

Besides, you don't even know what these injuries are. Just because the organization chooses not to release specific details of the injuries sustained doesn't mean you should just assume that there are some injuries that are probably not legitimate enough to force a player to miss time. The players are not diagnosing themselves nor are they the ones that setting these deadlines anyways so I'm not sure why you'd take the situation to twist it around into something that the players are at fault for.

Last edited by Ari91: 11-18-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old
11-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

All 3.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:28 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Why wouldn't the OP just do the research on the average number of games lost to injury per team so far this season rather than start a thread to discuss whether the variance compared against the unknown average is indicative that there is, or is not, a problem with the Leafs.

Here is a better thread option:

Assuming the moon does or does not collide with the Earth tomorrow, what should I pack for lunch?

Old
11-18-2011, 11:57 AM
GrizzLeaf

Nike needs to make a padded ivy-drip that will fit under a hockey jersey.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:37 PM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Here is a better thread option:

Assuming the moon does or does not collide with the Earth tomorrow, what should I pack for lunch?
Sandwiches. And if you don't eat them, you can save them for a light dinner later.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
LeafsDiary

Ball.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:19 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Poor conditioning.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsDiary View Post
Ball.
Can I take it and go home now?

Old
11-18-2011, 02:24 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I second this.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Raging Bull

This one seems to have run it's course already.

Closed Thread