HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreger: leafs offered a 2nd and player

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2011, 08:38 AM
  #26
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Leafs have so many assistant GM's he could probably be traded to the Leafs.
I'm not sure what Poulin and Loiselle do, but Dudley is the guy I would make 3rd on the Organizational Chart.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:40 AM
  #27
Deuce Awesome
Registered User
 
Deuce Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
All this does is raise the bar for Franson.


The Leafs management use Twitter as a tool to up the ante on players.


So now the "word" is out that they "turned this down", so future offers will ideally have to be higher.


Dmen are sought after right now, even the number 7 on a terrible defence team...lol...


Normally I would say that the offer was more than fair value for Franson, but seeing what Burke got for Beauch and others makes you wonder if he won't pull off another heist.


Calgary hasn't made a trade in a while, lets call them, see if they want to further the Calgary Maple Leafs dream!!


Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:41 AM
  #28
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
I think Grabo has proven that he is a legitimate quality 2nd line centre in the league. I would like to see him resigned long term. He does everything asked of him. At that number he is very affordable. Let him go and you will be looking for years for someone just like him.
Top 6 Center's a rare commodity in the NHL, I say let's wait and see what if anyone offers for him, and if the return is Kaberle-Beauch like we deal him, if not we can certainly resign him next year.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:41 AM
  #29
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
wow must have been a salary dump for the leafs not to take the 2nd

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:45 AM
  #30
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 59,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
wow must have been a salary dump for the leafs not to take the 2nd
Would you take a small Omark for him?

I'd speculate it was a forward, since they are looking at defense, and for Burke to turn it down, probably a small forward without truc.

__________________
http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/ps...e_corsi_issues

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:45 AM
  #31
Rodimus Prime
Registered User
 
Rodimus Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Everything Nonis tells Dreger is tactical. When the Leafs organization wants to get something public i'm sure they go straight to Dreger....within minutes of Dreger tweeting news it's basically world knowledge. Has to be the easiest and quickest way to create interest in a player.
I definitely agree with you here. I also think back to almost all the deals Burke and co have made since his arrival, almost none were talked about in the media before, just came out of the blue. Versteeg being the only exception I can think of off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
title is wierd?
what's weird about it?


Also thanks to rocket and igy for helping me with the original post.

Rodimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:45 AM
  #32
Igy
Registered User
 
Igy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
We may have no choice, he's an upcoming UFA and he will command upwards of 3.5 to 4 cap hit in his next contract, a conservative figure, probably 4 years as this will be his chance to cash in after a good year last year. The question for the Leafs is can we afford him and still upgrade our top 6?
He will get 4-4.5 if he can put up 60+ points this season and I still think it's worth signing him for that, long term.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:46 AM
  #33
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Leafs have so many assistant GM's he could probably be traded to the Leafs.
Maybe for Komisarek?

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:48 AM
  #34
jrgtml67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Would you take a small Omark for him?

I'd speculate it was a forward, since they are looking at defense, and for Burke to turn it down, probably a small forward without truc.

who said Burke turned it down? all dregs said was the leafs were offered, can Burke not think about it or maybe add to the deal to make it better suited for us?

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:49 AM
  #35
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,680
vCash: 500
No need to move him right now, especially for something that's not going to help the club. The offers will probably get better anyways as you get closer to the deadline and teams get more desperate.

He'll probably get in tomorrow against Nashville so lets see how well he performs. If he can start figuring it out, he could stick.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:51 AM
  #36
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
Why would any smart GM offer a decent player plus a draft pick for Franson, who can't crack the terrible Leaf's defense??? If a roster player is being offered, it has to be a salary dump or the player is in a huge slump.
Who exactly has Franson outplayed on this terrible defense?

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:07 AM
  #37
hockeyfanz*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
Why would any smart GM offer a decent player plus a draft pick for Franson, who can't crack the terrible Leaf's defense??? If a roster player is being offered, it has to be a salary dump or the player is in a huge slump.
I agree...I can't imagine the #7 D on the Leafs (who have one of the worst defensive records in the NHL) would garner a 2nd round pick unless the roster player that is being offered as part of the deal has an albatross contract. Otherwise, why not just trade him for a 2nd rounder straight up?

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:09 AM
  #38
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 59,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
who said Burke turned it down? all dregs said was the leafs were offered, can Burke not think about it or maybe add to the deal to make it better suited for us?
Well if Burke counters, he's turning the deal down and making a different deal.

But you would hope if Burke makes a deal it is not just exchanging meh players, but doing something that has an impact.

Who needs a Dupuis type of player ... unless Burke has promised to move Franson similar to how he handled Bryzgalov in Anaheim ... okay we can hope it turns out better than just giving him away.

I'm surprised at how poorly defenders perform in Toronto after being good/decent defenders elsewhere. If you watch other teams playing against other teams you'll see that many, many teams out there look organized and can move the puck with ease from their own zones. Apparently, IMO, the Leafs are more the exception than the rule with how they just cannot defend.

Some teams make defense look simple. Sure teams scramble at times, but even with the Leafs how come we often here/read the goalie played great against them. Are we sure it is the goalie and not the defensive play of the other team that limits the excellent scoring chances?

Now back to Franson, he's looked less than good when he's been in, but he was good enough to get playing time in Nashville. Beauchemin didn't look great in Toronto, but is a top 4 in Anaheim. Komisarek, highly sought after defender and with the Leafs just now earning top 6 time.

So is if Franson's ability that is the problem?

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:10 AM
  #39
John-Eric Iannicello
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I agree...I can't imagine the #7 D on the Leafs (who have one of the worst defensive records in the NHL) would garner a 2nd round pick unless the roster player that is being offered as part of the deal has an albatross contract. Otherwise, why not just trade him for a 2nd rounder straight up?
I find it hard to believe any team looking to make a serious deal is going to offer a player who puts the Leafs over the cap by a big margin.

Why even make the phone call and waste your time?

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:13 AM
  #40
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I find it hard to believe any team looking to make a serious deal is going to offer a player who puts the Leafs over the cap by a big margin.

Why even make the phone call and waste your time?
A little common sense goes a long way.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:17 AM
  #41
Igy
Registered User
 
Igy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I find it hard to believe any team looking to make a serious deal is going to offer a player who puts the Leafs over the cap by a big margin.

Why even make the phone call and waste your time?
I agree, it sounds as if Burke might have a superior or package deal that includes Franson. I can see Franson playing Thursday and a trade happening before Saturday's game.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:18 AM
  #42
John-Eric Iannicello
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

I'm surprised at how poorly defenders perform in Toronto after being good/decent defenders elsewhere. If you watch other teams playing against other teams you'll see that many, many teams out there look organized and can move the puck with ease from their own zones. Apparently, IMO, the Leafs are more the exception than the rule with how they just cannot defend.

Some teams make defense look simple. Sure teams scramble at times, but even with the Leafs how come we often here/read the goalie played great against them. Are we sure it is the goalie and not the defensive play of the other team that limits the excellent scoring chances?

Now back to Franson, he's looked less than good when he's been in, but he was good enough to get playing time in Nashville. Beauchemin didn't look great in Toronto, but is a top 4 in Anaheim. Komisarek, highly sought after defender and with the Leafs just now earning top 6 time.

So is if Franson's ability that is the problem?
Crappy goaltending can make defenders look bad. That's probably one issue over the last few years. Team commitment to defending can also be a factor (which includes forwards), as well as coaching strategy. It's known the Leafs want the defenders engaging, but at what cost? And do you have the horses to allow you to play that game? Do the forwards have to drop back and cover the D? Or just play four deep?

People are quick to lump the Maple Leafs defenders as 'crap' and if Franson can't make it here he can't make it anywhere, but that's not true. The Leafs defenders haven't been bad. I think if you ask any of the fans they'll say they've liked the way the top-four have played, and that Schenn and Komisarek have come around significantly since the start of the year (arguably, Komisarek has been 'solid' for most of the year).

Beauchemin was a top-four in Toronto just as he is in Anahehim. I'm not sure how 'great' he looks in Anaheim currently, I don't watch them enough.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:22 AM
  #43
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 59,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Beauchemin was a top-four in Toronto just as he is in Anahehim. I'm not sure how 'great' he looks in Anaheim currently, I don't watch them enough.
Oh, I know Beauchemin got top 4 minutes in Toronto.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:25 AM
  #44
vezna*
Canada's Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
omark is worthless. when you have colborne and kadri waiting, omark is even more worthless.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:33 AM
  #45
hockeyfanz*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I find it hard to believe any team looking to make a serious deal is going to offer a player who puts the Leafs over the cap by a big margin.

Why even make the phone call and waste your time?
Again...if the rumours are true...why not just trade him for a 2nd rounder straight up? More than fair value for Cody Franson. And its not the trading partners problem to work out the Leafs salary cap. They can make an offer, which Burke can refuse. Thats how trades work. Why did the Leafs "waste time" with their offer to Brad Richards? Knowing full well he wouldn't accept it?

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:34 AM
  #46
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Forgive me for saying this because I know your heart is set on a 1C, but we do actually need 3rd line players.

It was glaringly obvious even when we were winning games that it was a weak spot.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:34 AM
  #47
Squeeven
Registered User
 
Squeeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Here's a link: http://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger

I hope BB makes this deal if its true, that's a good deal as long as the player is actually a 3rd or 4th liner. Even if the player is a prospect its still a good deal.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:35 AM
  #48
ChuckWoods
Registered User
 
ChuckWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,753
vCash: 500
This isnt a circumstance where Burke has plans for Franson to be part of this franchise for years to come, this is a circumstance where Burke has a bigger package planned for Franson. Not just a 2nd (most attractive thing in the package) and a mediocre player.

If/When Burke moves Franson, it'll be for something of value to his current roster now and in the future.

Franson is a big, puck moving defender who isnt exactly terrible defensively when he doesnt get himself caught. He's got potential, he's got value and he's certainly gaining interest on the market.

There is a market for Franson, so he may be moved at some point, but I personally believe it'll be in a package that lands us something of importance. Again, why move him for quanitity pieces, when he'd be the most quality piece in a deal like a 2nd + player. I believe more teams would bite at Franson ++ than a package of a 2nd + mediocre player +.

Burke is in better shape right now than he would be if he moved Franson for that package.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:40 AM
  #49
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
We may have no choice, he's an upcoming UFA and he will command upwards of 3.5 to 4 cap hit in his next contract, a conservative figure, probably 4 years as this will be his chance to cash in after a good year last year. The question for the Leafs is can we afford him and still upgrade our top 6?
If the Leafs can lock Grabo up for 3.5-4mil for 4 years, then they should be on that like a fat kid on a cupcake!

Honestly, what a stupid question, if you trade Grabo then you're weakening the top 6, re-signing him strengthens it.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:40 AM
  #50
John-Eric Iannicello
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,409
vCash: 500
Keep in mind the depth if there's an injury.

Lashoff is gone for the season with an injury and is one of the few Marlies with extended NHL experience (74 games). And Aulie is still bouncing back after a rough start, and his own injury.

Finger has battled injury himself and I don't think he's even on the radar for a call-up. Maybe towards the end of the year to sort of give him new life, but Leafs are too close to the cap currently.

There aren't many options who the Leafs could really depend on if there's a serious injury.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.