HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Dreger: leafs offered a 2nd and player

Old
11-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Budsfan

vCash: 500
I certainly believe Burke is working on a deal or maybe more and likely it would include a defenceman but if he has a certain player, or players, that are part of another deal, he would have to turn down one, that doesn't bring any players, that can help now, or at least he would have to delay making it for a while.

Futures are ok but our future is now and a deal that could bring a player or two, that could help us go deep into the play-offs, is way more important to us at the present time.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:47 AM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Here's a link: http://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger

I hope BB makes this deal if its true, that's a good deal as long as the player is actually a 3rd or 4th liner. Even if the player is a prospect its still a good deal.
It's not a good deal.

"as long as the player is actually a 3rd or 4th liner" ?? Is that a joke? The Leafs (when healthy) have quite a few 3rd and 4th liners that are capable of filling that role.

Toronto needs a top line center... not that Franson is the guy who will get us a top line center, but he's an asset and he shouldn't be squandered in the deal that Dreger mentioned.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:50 AM
leafy84

what about something around kulie+franson + for rick Nash

leafy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:54 AM
BayStBully

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Keep in mind the depth if there's an injury.

Lashoff is gone for the season with an injury and is one of the few Marlies with extended NHL experience (74 games). And Aulie is still bouncing back after a rough start, and his own injury.

Finger has battled injury himself and I don't think he's even on the radar for a call-up. Maybe towards the end of the year to sort of give him new life, but Leafs are too close to the cap currently.

There aren't many options who the Leafs could really depend on if there's a serious injury.
I'd take Mikus or Holzer over Lashoff and Finger anyday

BayStBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:55 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Some teams might prefer to get a 2nd round pick as part of a package instead of Cody Franson. 2nd round picks are currency, and we won't know any of the value until something happens.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:57 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
Why would any smart GM offer a decent player plus a draft pick for Franson, who can't crack the terrible Leaf's defense???
because there's nothing terrible at all about the Leafs' defense?

when your worst defenseman is Luke Schenn, your defense corps is damn good.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Keep in mind the depth if there's an injury.

Lashoff is gone for the season with an injury and is one of the few Marlies with extended NHL experience (74 games). And Aulie is still bouncing back after a rough start, and his own injury.

Finger has battled injury himself and I don't think he's even on the radar for a call-up. Maybe towards the end of the year to sort of give him new life, but Leafs are too close to the cap currently.

There aren't many options who the Leafs could really depend on if there's a serious injury.
Honestly, any of Aulie, Lashoff, Finger, Blacker, Holzer, and maybe even Mikus are quality injury fill-in options.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:06 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Honestly, any of Aulie, Lashoff, Finger, Blacker, Holzer, and maybe even Mikus are quality injury fill-in options.
Maybe, but I don't think Burke has faith in going with them as 1st options. I think he likes having Franson there if there's an injury instead of having to resort to an AHL player as the first call-up if someone like Phanuef goes down.

Again, Lashoff is done for the season. Finger has too big of a cap hit and will have to go through re-entry (although low-risk, he could in theory be nabbed). So if he was picked off at 1.5m, would cause the Leafs more headaches. If he was on the roster, his cap hit would cause headaches (I believe the Leafs are close to the cap). If the player was gone for the very long term, his cap hit could fit I guess.

Aulie still finding his form - but likely the first call-up. Blacker is a bit too green for me at the moment - needs more seasoning in my view. Holzer and Mikus are good depth options perhaps, but both still untested in the NHL.

11-16-2011, 10:07 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i see

DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Leafs offered a player and 2nd round pick from undisclosed team for Franson. Evidently, depth on D is highly valued in Toronto.

how does dreger know this btw?

i would take the 2nd round pick alone
maybe the player would free up salary for them
hopefully somebody that could help)

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:08 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

It's pretty difficult to suddenly get called in to a game and keep up with the pace of the game and maintain your foot speed, which I think is Franson's biggest downfall right now. Yeah, he's soft, we all knew that I think. If he can get into 6 or 7 games in a row, I think he'll prove he's not a slouch 7th D man. All he needs is some consistency, confidence, and game action to get his foot speed back in line.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:12 AM
mbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post

how does dreger know this btw?
Dreger is Dave Nonis's cousin or something like that.

mbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:18 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

We'll need Cody.
Glad Burke didn't jump on it.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:22 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Maybe, but I don't think Burke has faith in going with them as 1st options. I think he likes having Franson there if there's an injury instead of having to resort to an AHL player as the first call-up if someone like Phanuef goes down.

Again, Lashoff is done for the season. Finger has too big of a cap hit and will have to go through re-entry (although low-risk, he could in theory be nabbed). So if he was picked off at 1.5m, would cause the Leafs more headaches. If he was on the roster, his cap hit would cause headaches (I believe the Leafs are close to the cap). If the player was gone for the very long term, his cap hit could fit I guess.

Aulie still finding his form - but likely the first call-up. Blacker is a bit too green for me at the moment - needs more seasoning in my view. Holzer and Mikus are good depth options perhaps, but both still untested in the NHL.
Having a 7th defenseman as good as Franson isn't a luxury any team really has, to be honest.

Didn't realize Lashoff was done for the year, but having top prospects of the quality of Aulie and Blacker, backed up by depth prospects like Holzer and Mikus, is pretty much as good defensive depth as you could really want, I think.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:31 AM
crediblepest
Bern-YAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
Dallas lost Gologoski to an injury last night.
Maybe a Raycroft for Franson
I think I'd shamelessly go crazy (happy) if that happened. Always loved Raycroft .

That being said. I know Franson has been awful so far, but lets not give up on him so quickly. I mean 4-5 games is so unfair to judge his talent level.

crediblepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:34 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crediblepest View Post
I think I'd shamelessly go crazy (happy) if that happened. Always loved Raycroft .

That being said. I know Franson has been awful so far, but lets not give up on him so quickly. I mean 4-5 games is so unfair to judge his talent level.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:41 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Having a 7th defenseman as good as Franson isn't a luxury any team really has, to be honest.

Didn't realize Lashoff was done for the year, but having top prospects of the quality of Aulie and Blacker, backed up by depth prospects like Holzer and Mikus, is pretty much as good defensive depth as you could really want, I think.
I don't think it's ideal to have a player of Franson's skill to sit, but I think Lashoff going down and Aulie not playing up to NHL level yet likely has them wanting to hold onto him for now - this early in the season. Ideally you have a player like Lashoff in that 7th spot. But I think we are trying to avoid situations like Montreal is in with their defenders.

As we move on and more players establish themselves moves are likely to be made. Just like Aulie made Beachemin expendable last season, I see similar situations happening this year. And that's what we want at the end of the day - that turnover the young players create.

We have players who can potentially play in the NHL - but I think if you ask those who have watched the Marlies regularly this year I don't think any defender sticks out as someone who's pushing for a spot in the NHL. Crabb did, Colborne has, and Kadri also (should have more goals then the one he has).

I like the way we are handling it right now. I have faith in Burke to do the right thing in regards to making room for youngsters. It's a good problem to have, we just don't want to put prospects into situations they may not be ready for.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

I feel like I'm the only person that thinks Franson hasn't really been given a fair a chance yet.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:50 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
I feel like I'm the only person that thinks Franson hasn't really been given a fair a chance yet.
Of course he hasn't. He has only managed to get into like 4 games this season and that shouldn't really be the case. I could see them hanging onto him because Gardiner seems to be slowing down and the rigors of an 82 game schedule for a guy coming off of an NCAA season that barely surpasses 40 is no small feat.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:54 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I agree

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
KiwiPuck217

Quote:
Definitely, I see potential in him. Depending on who the roster player is, I'd rather just hang on to Franson.

KiwiPuck217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:05 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
I don't think it's ideal to have a player of Franson's skill to sit, but I think Lashoff going down and Aulie not playing up to NHL level yet likely has them wanting to hold onto him for now - this early in the season. Ideally you have a player like Lashoff in that 7th spot. But I think we are trying to avoid situations like Montreal is in with their defenders.

As we move on and more players establish themselves moves are likely to be made. Just like Aulie made Beachemin expendable last season, I see similar situations happening this year. And that's what we want at the end of the day - that turnover the young players create.

We have players who can potentially play in the NHL - but I think if you ask those who have watched the Marlies regularly this year I don't think any defender sticks out as someone who's pushing for a spot in the NHL. Crabb did, Colborne has, and Kadri also (should have more goals then the one he has).

I like the way we are handling it right now. I have faith in Burke to do the right thing in regards to making room for youngsters. It's a good problem to have, we just don't want to put prospects into situations they may not be ready for.
yeah, I have no problem with the way we're handing it.

but that has limits - ideally as we go forward if we can get good assets back for a guy who's not in our regular lineup that's probably a good thing to jump on.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:22 AM
TheArchitect*

Stastny

TheArchitect* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you. He needs a legit string of games to get with the pace. Practice won't allow you to do that.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

sounds like Cody is replacing Jake for the nashville game.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:57 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
yea cody should get the start vs preds

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote