HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs offered 2nd+player for Franson

Old
11-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
your bottom 9 is so much worse than ours and he couldn't cut it. that says it all.
Toronto's defense contibutes to one of the highest goals against per game and Franson sits in the press box. that says it all.
I really dont believe any player whos spent a majority of the season in the PB will fetch a 2nd round pick

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:27 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Toronto's defense contibutes to one of the highest goals against per game and Franson sits in the press box. that says it all.
I really dont believe any player whos spent a majority of the season in the PB will fetch a 2nd round pick
cool. we'll keep franson and omark goes home to europe

sounds like a win/win situation

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:31 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
This is more like - Team A is offering the Leafs a later pick and mid tier prospect; so the Leafs "leak" that they've been offered a 2nd and a player
Possibly true. It seems like Burke has used this before and it worked.
I would guess someone offered a 2nd + a player who would never actually play for us. While we are obviously more interested in someone to play for us today.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 11-16-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Baiting
FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:15 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
cool. we'll keep franson and omark goes home to europe

sounds like a win/win situation
If Omark wanted to leave, he likely would have already. He wants to be an NHL'er. He just doesn't have that chance in Edmonton, considering all of the other small flashy players who are better than him the Oil already have.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:29 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
The unnamed team was nuts to offer that for Franson, and Toronto nuts to refuse (regardless of the player offered) if true.
It seems more and more that Toronto plays pressure tactics through DarrenDreger.

My guess is that Toronto hasn't been offered jack for Franson but Burke is smart and knows that some GM might jump the gun now.

If they were really offered a 2nd + a player that had any sort of positive value for Toronto I'd imagine Franson would be gone.

The only way I see TO not moving Franson for that price is it was NYR's 2nd + Redden or some buried contract.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:36 PM
mytor4*

I don't believe any team would be stupid enough to offer a 2nd rd pick for Franson unless there is a real bad contract going with the 2nd rd pick. I mean the guy can't even crack a 3rd line pairing on one of the worst defence in the league.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

gotta love the hfboards logic how their say is more true than insiders lol
same was said about kaberle value and what not. same with beauchemin

Whatever the case let's see what happens.

11-16-2011, 07:08 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
It seems more and more that Toronto plays pressure tactics through DarrenDreger.

My guess is that Toronto hasn't been offered jack for Franson but Burke is smart and knows that some GM might jump the gun now.

If they were really offered a 2nd + a player that had any sort of positive value for Toronto I'd imagine Franson would be gone.

The only way I see TO not moving Franson for that price is it was NYR's 2nd + Redden or some buried contract.
As if any GM cares what the media's saying. Seriously, why would they not just pick up a phone and find out what's going on? You think Burke is saying "well, look at what Dreger says I turned down" when somebody calls?

A 2nd doesn't do anything for the Leafs now, and Franson isn't going to lose value in the meantime. Personally, I'm not surprised at all. If they trade Franson and somebody gets hurt, they'll look awfully stupid.

grabo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
I don't believe any team would be stupid enough to offer a 2nd rd pick for Franson unless there is a real bad contract going with the 2nd rd pick.
I agree. Didn't Burke say somewhere that he was willing to accept a salary dump player from another team? Why is this deal a problem? I would have grabbed it.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Vitto79

2nd and a 7th Dman for Franson is a good deal. Doubt it was offered

Aulie in the minors should make Burke do that deal

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:00 PM
The K Man

I find this weird because it couldn't have been a cap dump along with a 2nd because Leafs don't have much capspace at all this season, unless the team offering was unaware of our cap situation.

For people saying Burke would be crazy to turn this down, it's not like his value will diminish after not accepting the trade. If anything his value is at it's low point right now, and once one of our Dmen get hurt and he comes in and performs well (I hope) his value will only rise.

No point of trading depth away at this point of the season for a pick. I'm guessing the player is just a minor league type guy so the other team can fit in the 50 man roster.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:35 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I agree. Didn't Burke say somewhere that he was willing to accept a salary dump player from another team? Why is this deal a problem? I would have grabbed it.
They don't exactly have cap room, so I don't see why that would be. Besides, what are they going to do with a 2nd round pick now? No need to rush on that one.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:38 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

I'd be open to trade Franson for one of those players (realistic options):

Linus Omark/Derick Brassard/Blake Wheeler/Colton Gillies(plus a pick or something)/Dustin Penner(add Lombardi from Leafs side)/Kyle Turris/Cal O'Reilly(plus a pick or something)/Brian Boyle(add a pick or a prospect from the Leafs)/Erik Christensen(plus a good pick or something)/Josh Bailey/Blake Comeau/Evgeni Nabokov(plus a pick or something)

And not a really realistic option, but ready to add a solid pick and a solid prospect from Leafs side: Brandon Sutter.

Last edited by QMJHLfollower: 11-16-2011 at 09:48 PM.
QMJHLfollower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Besides, what are they going to do with a 2nd round pick now?
You save it and use it at the draft. It's how a rebuilding process is really supposed to work - something Burke seems to have trouble with.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:57 PM
grabo84

Quote:
You save it and use it at the draft. It's how a rebuilding process is really supposed to work - something Burke seems to have trouble with.
Toronto isn't rebuilding. I'd much rather see them deal Franson for a player that helps them now if they decide to make a trade right away. If they decide to get a pick, they can make those deals at the deadline.

Old
11-16-2011, 09:01 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Except the draft isn't until June, and the Leafs are trying to win right now.

How would trading assets this early in the season for future benefits help the Leafs make the playoffs this season?

Old
11-16-2011, 09:04 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
You call Franson a press box hero while touting Stralman.

Oh boy.
What are you reading? Where did I "tout" Stralman? I said we signed him for free rather than trading any asset for a player of around the same talent level (albeit younger). I don't see anything that could have been construed as "touting Stralman" for anyone who took the time to read my post.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What are you reading? Where did I "tout" Stralman? I said we signed him for free rather than trading any asset for a player of around the same talent level (albeit younger). I don't see anything that could have been construed as "touting Stralman" for anyone who took the time to read my post.
you do realize we signed lebda for free and then slaney was a piece of a scrub right? and we traded for him and lombardi, who both can contribute something in the NHL NOW rather than being bought out If you call that spending assets wow. Also I've watched stralman, was on that boat and boy did it sink big time, good luck with him, he has luster but it's more of an illusion.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:38 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
Except the draft isn't until June, and the Leafs are trying to win right now.

How would trading assets this early in the season for future benefits help the Leafs make the playoffs this season?
because prospects are more valuable than NHL players in this place. you can't argue otherwise.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:40 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

He's not moving. Not in a package like that, anyway.

SeenSchenn2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:40 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
you do realize we signed lebda for free and then slaney was a piece of a scrub right? and we traded for him and lombardi, who both can contribute something in the NHL NOW rather than being bought out If you call that spending assets wow. Also I've watched stralman, was on that boat and boy did it sink big time, good luck with him, he has luster but it's more of an illusion.
Was just about to type pretty much this.

Stralman isn't very close to the same talent level as Franson either, not saying Franson is unreal, but Stralman just isn't very good. If he was Columbus would have kept him or another team would have signed him much earlier.

Old
11-16-2011, 09:42 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Toronto isn't rebuilding. I'd much rather see them deal Franson for a player that helps them now if they decide to make a trade right away. If they decide to get a pick, they can make those deals at the deadline.
What player could the leafs acquire with the 800k salary that Franson makes and the 500k in cap space the leafs have that would make an impact today?

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

The player is likely a player that would be worth a bag of pucks by himself.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:57 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Just like Tomas Kaberle. Just like Francois Beauchemin. Just like Ian White.

Don't worry HFB, you'll get one right eventually.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:59 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

To Carolina:
- Franson

To Toronto:
- Kaberle
- 2nd round pick

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote