HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moves the Isles should make

Old
11-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Alexander Semin

He was benched today by Boudreu for taking to many penalties.. The caps are trying to shop him around. How much do you think it would take for Garth to pull the trigger and he can be JT's wing man?

A 2nd rounder and Nabakov? The Caps are not going to get a 1st rounder for him, not even as a rental.

He does not look like he is interested in staying with the Caps. I for one dont care about his attitude or whatever BS stories come out. The Islanders need someone other then Tavares to score. Just because your a ***** does not mean you cant play..

I think making a move for Semin would seriously boost our offense and he clearly will be one of the top free agents at the end of the year. You wanna prove to the fans and the team that the rebuild is over then go out and get Alexander Semin

If I was Garth id make a phone call and see what happens.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Brunomics

vCash: 500
Too much money, plus it could cost picks and you know how Snow values those

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

We give Rolston 5 million for playing the 4th line... We cant give 6 million for Semin who at best he signs here long term as he is the top FA this offseason at worst he leaves and were back to sqaure one.

Regardless if he leaves or not we cannot have JT be all alone out there.. Garth says he has no limit to what he can spend then go out and make a move that will help the team win and put butts in seats!!

Old
11-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

I admittedly don't watch the caps much at all. Most of my gamecenter viewing is of Canadian teams along with San Jose, Philly, etc. I have maybe seen one Caps game this year. I do know Semin is a great talent but I also know that every day for the past week while driving home from work listening to NHL home ice on XM, Semin has been a hot topic. Mostly Caps fans wanting him gone and wanting nothing to do with him anymore. Mostly attitude problems and last I checked... the Islanders have enough to worry about on that front. A guy with that much talent being run out of town? There's a reason. Pass.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
I admittedly don't watch the caps much at all. Most of my gamecenter viewing is of Canadian teams along with San Jose, Philly, etc. I have maybe seen one Caps game this year. I do know Semin is a great talent but I also know that every day for the past week while driving home from work listening to NHL home ice on XM, Semin has been a hot topic. Mostly Caps fans wanting him gone and wanting nothing to do with him anymore. Mostly attitude problems and last I checked... the Islanders have enough to worry about on that front. A guy with that much talent being run out of town? There's a reason. Pass.
Beggers can't be choosers, the Isles are the heinous fat girl at the end of the bar and Semin can be regarded as a major prize for said fat girl, if Snow actually gets him it's an upgrade no matter how you look at it.

Old
11-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I bet it would only cost Comeau... The Caps have no need for goaltending, even if Vokoun and Neuvirth haven't been fantastic.

Semin simply is not seen as being worth his contract. Looks like a guy who may have worn out his welcome.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Beggers can't be choosers, the Isles are the heinous fat girl at the end of the bar and Semin can be regarded as a major prize for said fat girl, if Snow actually gets him it's an upgrade no matter how you look at it.
THIS!!!

Exactly my point, he can be had for a 2nd rounder and who knows whats going on in that locker room in Washington to set him off. As long as he produces on the ice I dont care what he does. At worst we have him till April and we wash our hands with him.

Right now the Islanders need someone who can score and take some pressure off JT because he is getting double teamed and pressured at every corner and our offense is Missing in Action.

Old
11-22-2011, 04:16 PM
islandermaniac

for the love of god! has no one even watched the islanders play hockey this season? do the isles really need another fancy pants dangler to play a perimeter game?

call that a big no thanks from this isles fan. i'd rather have a grinder who actually cares about winning.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:19 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

I'm sorry but you are not getting Semin for Nabokov and a second rounder. McPhee laughs and hangs up the phone. Semin has a LOAD of talent. And even though he is struggling, he still has 4 goals and 5 assists. IMO, Semin is certainly worth the first pick of a playoff team.
Also, the Caps goaltending position is not struggling dramatically, especially with all of their depth (Vokoun, Neuvirth, and Holtby). So Nabokov becomes irrelevant.
Comeau has no value at all so don't even try it. We are overvaluing our players here and undervaluing Semin.
In conclusion, Semin is their better version of Okposo right now (hint, hint).....

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
he can be had for a 2nd rounder
You don't know that. Come on now.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:44 PM
TheBoss22

I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend who knows of Pierre McGuire that players worry about being benched or waived, only because they fear of possibly being traded/picked up by the Islanders (players must read HFboards)...

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:49 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
for the love of god! has no one even watched the islanders play hockey this season? do the isles really need another fancy pants dangler to play a perimeter game?

call that a big no thanks from this isles fan. i'd rather have a grinder who actually cares about winning.
Maybe his style isn't a perfect fit with what the Isles need, but the Isles don't have anyone outside of JT with half as much skill.

Quote:
This exactly. I would much rather get an Iginla type. Good luck. If Semin were available AND THE PRICE WAS RIGHT you have to make that move every time.

It all comes down to what Washington wants to do. Are they ready to move on regardless of the return? In that case, I don't know how many teams would be willing/able to take on Semin's contract. If the Isles could get him on the cheap (return wise) you do it.

The fact is the Isles would win more games with Semin in the lineup than the team they have now.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:57 PM
JKP

Isn't one mercurial, heartless Russian enough in one decade?

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:01 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Semin is not an ideal fit as others have already mentioned, but have you seen our offense? He'd be a good rental for us.

The guy has world class skill, but has zero heart. Maybe a change of scenery and the desire to get that big, fat long term contract in the offseason would light a fire under him. He would get loads of ice time and probably be on the top line with JT. He would only be helping himself to show some passion and perform in that situation.

It's not going to happen, but it is interesting. We just need someone, anyone with offensive skill to help out Tavares.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:29 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
sorry, but i cannot agree. even large girls need to have a little self respect.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Glorydays22

Luca Sbisa

I wouldn't mind the Islanders trading for him...could move Comeau for him.

Glorydays22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:32 PM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorydays22 View Post
really now? comeau and his goose eggs?

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:33 PM
MJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
I'm sorry but you are not getting Semin for Nabokov and a second rounder. McPhee laughs and hangs up the phone. Semin has a LOAD of talent. And even though he is struggling, he still has 4 goals and 5 assists. IMO, Semin is certainly worth the first pick of a playoff team.
Also, the Caps goaltending position is not struggling dramatically, especially with all of their depth (Vokoun, Neuvirth, and Holtby). So Nabokov becomes irrelevant.
Comeau has no value at all so don't even try it. We are overvaluing our players here and undervaluing Semin.
In conclusion, Semin is their better version of Okposo right now (hint, hint).....
Please don't tell me you compared Okposo to Semin.

Anywayy, YES.

Okposo, Bailey, Comeau and Nabakov for Semin. Maybe they can throw Carlson in too.

Gives us a player who is 15x better then those 3 fowards combined, and also gets those terrible players off our team. If you say no to Semin, then you sir, are stupid

MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
sorry, but i cannot agree. even large girls need to have a little self respect.
That's true, they don't want to end up with Semin on their face.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Glorydays22

have you looked at Sbisa's stats....not a world beater....But I know he's got a hard shot from the point, which we definitely can use.

Remember, Comeau did put up 24 goals last year. He's time on the Island has run out, he needs a change. I don't see why he can't go back to scoring 15-18 goals for another team.

Glorydays22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Sneekypete

The way he has played this season he clearly has no desire to be on Long Island. Hopefully the Isles can get solid value but I see a 3rd max for a draft pick....

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Symon Asher

Unless Washington takes back Rolston , no way Wang adds 6 million of payroll

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:51 PM
kasper11

Quote:
No, we couldn't.

Sbisa = good, young, top-4 dman.
Comeau = garbage.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:06 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Make the call Garth

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
StuDog

Quote:
have you looked at Sbisa's stats....not a world beater....But I know he's got a hard shot from the point, which we definitely can use.

Remember, Comeau did put up 24 goals last year. He's time on the Island has run out, he needs a change. I don't see why he can't go back to scoring 15-18 goals for another team.
you're making my point. Sbisa brings something to the table. He's at least a decent defenseman. Comeau put up streaky points when they islanders were well out of contention. This year, when there were expectations put on his shoulders, he wilted. Good luck getting better than a 4th rounder.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote