HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2011, 11:30 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Why on Earth would NJ (or anyone else) want Penner and Stoll in any trade? Other teams have NHL scouts, they have seen just how awful these two are, and at a combined salary of almost $8 million. The Kings couldn't give these guys away if they wanted. We are stuck letting these guys play out their awful, bloated contracts and just letting them walk next season.

If the Kings and Devils are making a trade it's probably not for Parise, the Kings don't have the elite young player they would be able to move to get Parise, they already cashed in that chip for Richards.
Finally some sanity in this thread. Thank you Herby.

The Devils are going to want a ransom for Zach even though he is a UFA. The Devils despite Owner ship problems will try and sign him.

So they are not going to take cast off's from any team. Plus there is no way Brown or JJ gets traded. That would have to be Crosby coming back the other way.

The Kings value Brown and JJ that much. If they don't, we got more too worry about than Offense.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Johnny Utah

Kings have a unique situation where Bernier is a RFA the same year Quick is a UFA. Lombardi will probably try and make Quick an offer next year for an extension and if he doesn't bite, they trade him or let him walk and keep Bernier. If they sign Quick long term, then you can deal Bernier in 2013.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I actually like Mayors Manor if you are looking for humor. The guy is really dry on his podcasts and almost a little stiff to listen to but his articles and questions are really funny and give some fun insight to the Kings locker room.

Surly and Scribe is just as bad as Hockeybuzz.
Mayor is a funny guy. Talked to him tonight actually. I should have something up on his website actually in a couple of days.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:13 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Sounds like the Devils are a target if they have been following them for two consecutive games now. The Kings already played the Devils twice this season and have no further games against each other, so they clearly aren't scouting them in case of a future matchup.

I still have my doubts that the Kings will move either Johnson or Brown for a soon to be UFA. The Kings aren't going to create any big holes in their lineup to upgrade one area. If any player is going to be the centerpiece for a major upgrade, it's going to be Jonathan Bernier and/or one of LA's prospects or picks.

Old
11-17-2011, 03:18 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Concerning the Kings and whether or not they can add Zach Parise as a free agent and fit him within the cap, yes, it is very much doable.

The Kings' will be losing Penner, Stoll, Mitchell, Moreau, Hunter, Parse, and Fraser to free agency. They don't have a single player from the current pro roster who will be a RFA. In total, that is $14.275 being removed from the roster.

Let's assume Parise gets $7M even, that leaves the Kings with a little over $7M in cap room to fill the rest of the roster. Parise replaces Penner, Loktionov replaces Stoll. Assume that the Kings fill all holes on the roster internally and go with this lineup:

Gagne-Kopitar-Williams
Parise-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Loktionov-Toffoli
Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth
Andreoff
Kozun

Johnson-Doughty
Scuderi-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
Drewiske

Quick-Bernier

That leaves the Kings with over $5M in cap space, and that is if the cap doesn't go up next season. If the cap goes up, even more room for flexibility. This is the reason why internal development is so critical and important to success because they are the ones the Kings are going to look to to step in to 3rd and 4th line roles or on the 2nd or 3rd defense pairings.

Hopefully the Kings are able to land Parise and I still do hope that the Kings can fit Mitchell and yes, even Fraser, onto next season's roster.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Your joking right? Parise could walk in July. That's a brutal deal

Wow...I'm not implying he would trade DB and JJ for a rental. If any deal like that happened, it would with the contingency that Parise signed long term...that's a no-brainer.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Wow...I'm not implying he would trade DB and JJ for a rental. If any deal like that happened, it would with the contingency that Parise signed long term...that's a no-brainer.
Or better yet, he hangs onto Johnson and Brown, doesn't create two big holes in his lineup, and attempts to add a Parise during the summer without giving up any assets.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Let's break this down

The Kings simply aren't looking for a defensemen or a top 6 forward. We need to bolster the bottom 6. To me that would eliminate a player like Parise.

So if you are scouting the devils for 3rd line guys for us...Zubrus, Clarkson. And considering those are 2 guys who have been scoring for an offensively stunted New Jersey...the trade doesn't make sense.

Unless we are looking to trade somewhat struggling prospects..

IE: Hickey for Zharkov

or if you are NJ and looking to add defensive rebuild depth (which they don't have AT ALL.) at the cost of a decent prospect forward....you're talking like..Martinez or Muzzin for a Tedenby, Josefson or Palmieri.

and again...a deal like that doesn't make the most sense.

It is pretty well known though that NJ is in desperate need of a goalie......

see the above scenario with prospects and switch Bernier for one of those. Again, people over value Bernier. A goalie who MAY or MAY NOT be a starter in this league isn't going to net much more then a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a decent prospect.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:09 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Pro scouts watch other teams all the time, not just for the purpose of making trades.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Pro scouts watch other teams all the time, not just for the purpose of making trades.
The Kings are done playing the Devils this season, and they have been reported to have attended two consecutive Devils games. For what reason would they be following the Devils around, unless they know they'll be facing New Jersey in June for the Stanley Cup?

Old
11-17-2011, 02:59 PM
deeshamrock

Eklund update (this afternoon)

Quote:
Devils and Kings?

The teams have been talking, but I get the impression this deal is a deal that is down the line and contingent on how each team does...according to one source, "The Kings have huge interest in Parise, but nothing will happen until the deadline approaches and the asking price would be a goalie and a top 6 forward."
more to come.

Old
11-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
Done. Penner and Bernier

Old
11-17-2011, 03:07 PM
SFKingshomer

Zubrus would be a good addition

Old
11-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Done. Penner and Bernier
Lol right? I'll sign off on that.

Old
11-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Zubrus would be a good addition
I dunno I just don't see him being tossed away unless they are getting something worth it back.

Zubrus is 5th on the team in scoring, and that's not a team that is scoring a lot.

Zubrus for Stoll? meh bit of a wash...

We have too many guys in 3rd line duty, similar already, what with Moreau, Richardson, and Hunter.

Zubrus is good for maybe 10-15 goals. 20 in a good season. Sounds too similar to Poni. He'd get relegated to 3rd line duty here and probably be the recipient of hate when he only scores 3 more goals all season after the trade.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:11 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Kings are done playing the Devils this season, and they have been reported to have attended two consecutive Devils games. For what reason would they be following the Devils around, unless they know they'll be facing New Jersey in June for the Stanley Cup?
Meh, I just don't think there is a trade to be had for Parise right now, so maybe it is down the road. The Kings do their due diligence so maybe they are going to follow him all season if he doesn't re-sign in NJ.

Can't imagine a bottom-sixer we would want from that team in exchange for a guy like Martinez.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:13 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Was deciding between journalism and business major in college. This was pre-widespread internet use (92).

Glad I didn't choose journalism because the industry (not just sports) would be 99% clowns that claim to be "journalists" just because they have a website
As a media member (not NHL level, but a media member) I take no interest in what some hack on a blog says and refuse to allow myself to be associated with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Think back to when ATL wanted one of Brown, Simmonds or JJ for Kovy and DL said "no".

Why in the world would DL give both JJ and Brownie for Parise???

Utter nonsense!
Agreed, though I wonder if DL would have though harder about Simmonds for Kovlachuk now given where we are at compared to two seasons ago. We were just happy to make the playoffs then, now it's for a deeper drive.

Quote:
Is it possible that DL still wants Kovy???

I wouldn't rule it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
It was too much $$$ for DL back then, doubt that it's changed. As good as he is, that ship has sailed. NJ would never take what we would could offer, anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
And he would fit that enormous cap hit where? yeah, the same money that DL refused to offer up to begin with?

How old are you?
Love the maturity Axl. Don't have to be an ass on here.

As for Kovalchuk, I agree it's extremely doubtful we'd go after him in a trade and even less likely he'd come. The guy has a NMC for the next five years, why would he waive it to come to the team he passed over to come to NJ in the first place?

Also, the most expensive years of his contract start after next season. From 2013-2014 until 2017-2018, Kovalchuk makes between $10 million and $11.8 million a season. That's a lot of salary to be eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post

The Kings simply aren't looking for a defensemen or a top 6 forward. We need to bolster the bottom 6. To me that would eliminate a player like Parise.
Why not bolster both? Our bottom six is barely scoring at all, but we have only three players who are even on a 20 goal pace and only one is a winger. I don't think our top 6 is so good it doesn't need an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
Goalie and a top 6 forward is fair, depending on who they define as a top 6 forward. If the deal is Bernier and Brown and a UFA to be Parise, pass and hang up the phone.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Its obvious we are scouting the Devils for one of these 2 reasons...

1.Parise- For either the trade deadline if the Devils arent in the race, or for the offseason if he becomes a UFA.

2.As someone mentioned above, for someone like Zubrus or Clarkson who could help boost our bottom 6.

Things should get a lot more interesting in 2 months or so when the trade deadline gets closer.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
As for Kovalchuk, I agree it's extremely doubtful we'd go after him in a trade and even less likely he'd come. The guy has a NMC for the next five years, why would he waive it to come to the team he passed over to come to NJ in the first place?
If I'm Kovy, I'd be intrigued to be traded to the kings. Clearly, he knows that at one point, he was very much in demand by the kings and the fans. Besides, he has struggled somewhat since signing with the devils so, maybe a change of scenery will do him some good. And let's not forget the Richards factor. We're a better team now than we were last year. And if you don't buy into any of the above, maybe he just wants to be booed by our sophisticated fans?

Old
11-17-2011, 04:36 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
If I'm Kovy, I'd be intrigued to be traded to the kings. Clearly, he knows that at one point, he was very much in demand by the kings and the fans. Besides, he has struggled somewhat since signing with the devils so, maybe a change of scenery will do him some good. And let's not forget the Richards factor. We're a better team now than we were last year. And if you don't buy into any of the above, maybe he just wants to be booed by our sophisticated fans?
Well, by Leiweke and some of their fans.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Well, by Leiweke and some of their fans.
You didn't want Kovy back then? And if not, how bout now?

Old
11-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Kovalchuk
I would think Ovechkin has a better chance of being a King one day (late in career) than Kovalchuk. Doesn't matter because both are unaffordable in every sense of the word right now anyway. You can't get those guys without completely blowing up the team. That would be disastrous. It is just not feasible.

We have a situation here where we still have room to play for either:
a solid bottom 6 winger without giving up anything we can't replace within
a solid top 6 winger. It'll sting but we won't have to totally detonate the team (possibly JJ level guy may go though)

I like A-Mart, but Voynov seems to have that X-factor. Such a smart player. And a decision has to be made to go with Voynov and A-Mart soon. A-Mart should be the piece that's moved for the top 6 or bottom 6 winger.

Quote:
Eklund: "Devils and Kings?

The teams have been talking, but I get the impression this deal is a deal that is down the line and contingent on how each team does...according to one source, "The Kings have huge interest in Parise, but nothing will happen until the deadline approaches and the asking price would be a goalie and a top 6 forward."
more to come.
Translation: "I don't know anything. But since Parise to LA is such a hot issue. I am going to post nonsense about it to get more site hits.

Old
11-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Have you guys forgotten the stuff Lombardi has said about Kovalchuk? Even recently he spoke about him in a not so flattering manner. Get that thought out of your heads, it ain't happening.

Old
11-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
I would think Ovechkin has a better chance of being a King one day (late in career) than Kovalchuk. Doesn't matter because both are unaffordable in every sense of the word right now anyway. You can't get those guys without completely blowing up the team. That would be disastrous. It is just not feasible.
Salary goes both ways.

Old
11-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Have you guys forgotten the stuff Lombardi has said about Kovalchuk? Even recently he spoke about him in a not so flattering manner. Get that thought out of your heads, it ain't happening.
So, is DL leading the chorus of boos at the staples?

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did DL say about Kovy?

Closed Thread