HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Can't find where/when he said it but I believe it was around the the summer, close to the start of the season where Lombardi talked about the addition of Mike Richards. It may have been at the GM breakfast. But he pretty much denounced the impact a guy like Kovalchuk would have on the Kings. He didn't believe that he's a "culture changer" or knows what it takes to win.

Old
11-17-2011, 05:20 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

I really hope it's Parise and not a bottom six.

Something tells me, DL just may overpay this time around.

Old
11-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
One things for sure, if we do trade for Parise and Bernier is involved, we better make damn sure Quick gets locked up long term soon after...

Old
11-17-2011, 05:24 PM
rsaturday

Just for laughs, I thought I would mention that I am pretty sure I saw Scotty Bowman at the Nashville game a few weeks ago. He was in the restaurant on the PR level before the game. I'm not sure if this is a regular thing for Scotty, but perhaps he is on a trip for the Blackhawks?

Old
11-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Have you guys forgotten the stuff Lombardi has said about Kovalchuk? Even recently he spoke about him in a not so flattering manner. Get that thought out of your heads, it ain't happening.
This.

I think TL wanted Kovalchuk a lot more than DL.

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 11-17-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old
11-17-2011, 05:28 PM
rsaturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
One things for sure, if we do trade for Parise and Bernier is involved, we better make damn sure Quick gets locked up long term soon after...
I don't see Bernier getting traded until Quick is locked up long-term. I see no reason why DL won't offer Quick a nice extension next year. Until that happens, there is no reason to jeopardize our goaltending depth and set this organization back five years by losing them both.

I don't think the Kings will be after Parise until he becomes a UFA or if they are really floundering come the trade deadline. People who are already panicking about the scoring need to let the team gel a little bit more and see how things play out after maybe 40 games.

Old
11-17-2011, 06:10 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
You didn't want Kovy back then? And if not, how bout now?
Even less now. That contract is a motivation killer for that particular player, and it seems to be working quite well. Kovalchuk got his close to $100M in 10 years and that is what he is proud of, not championships.

Quote:
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

I really hope it's Parise and not a bottom six.

Something tells me, DL just may overpay this time around.
It sounds to me that after meeting and talking to Kovalchuk that Lombardi wasn't impressed. I think that is what you should take away from that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
This.

Like I said before, Lombardi wanted Hossa a hell of a lot more than he wanted Kovalchuk.

Last edited by KINGS17: 11-17-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old
11-17-2011, 06:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaturday View Post
I don't see Bernier getting traded until Quick is locked up long-term. I see no reason why DL won't offer Quick a nice extension next year. Until that happens, there is no reason to jeopardize our goaltending depth and set this organization back five years by losing them both.

I don't think the Kings will be after Parise until he becomes a UFA or if they are really floundering come the trade deadline. People who are already panicking about the scoring need to let the team gel a little bit more and see how things play out after maybe 40 games.
Based on the Rinne contract Dean would be foolish to move either goalie until he has one locked up to a reasonable deal.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:16 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Can't find where/when he said it but I believe it was around the the summer, close to the start of the season where Lombardi talked about the addition of Mike Richards. It may have been at the GM breakfast. But he pretty much denounced the impact a guy like Kovalchuk would have on the Kings. He didn't believe that he's a "culture changer" or knows what it takes to win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

If he was that down on Kovalchuk, I doubt he'd have tried so hard to sign him, Lieweke or not. Him and TL seem to be on the same page in terms of philosophy, I doubt that TL would break that over a huge piece of the team. Even TL knows if the GM isn't on baord for a major addition, it's likely going to cause a problem. If DL didn't want Kovalchuk, I doubt anything would have been offered to Kovalchuk in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Based on the Rinne contract Dean would be foolish to move either goalie until he has one locked up to a reasonable deal.
Agreed. While I think DL would consider moving Bernier in the right deal, he's likely leaning towards not doing anything until next year. Not only is Bernier great injury insurance, he's great contract insurance as well. While I think Quick will be our long-term goalie, the fact Bernier is likely to sign a long-term extension for much less money is the sole reason I believe he could be our permanent netminder long-term.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:09 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Its obvious we are scouting the Devils for one of these 2 reasons...

1.Parise- For either the trade deadline if the Devils arent in the race, or for the offseason if he becomes a UFA.

2.As someone mentioned above, for someone like Zubrus or Clarkson who could help boost our bottom 6.

Things should get a lot more interesting in 2 months or so when the trade deadline gets closer.
How many yrs does Clarkson have left on his contract? There's no way DL takes on a non-essential player making that much money.

Last edited by I Am Ziggy Palffy: 11-18-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old
11-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
How many yrs does Clarkson have left on his contract? There's no way DL takes on a non-essential player making that much money. Perhaps Jannsen if we're looking for some energy/toughness
Both Zubrus and Clarkson have 1 year after this. Zubrus 3.4 and Clarkson 2.7. And please god no not Janssen. Zubrus would be very good but he has too much chemistry with Elias

Old
11-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Shellz

I dont see the need for Clarckson or Zubrus. I have never seen a player fall down as much as Clarkson does. I think he has a spirit following him around that doesn't like him very much.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:01 AM
outofrange

Yeah I don't like Clarkson and Zubrus either. And LL will go down with the Parise ship even if he doesn't re-sign there. No way he trades him.

If we're looking for bottom six help (and we should) then the Kings need to look at a guy like Comeau.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:43 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
How many yrs does Clarkson have left on his contract? There's no way DL takes on a non-essential player making that much money.
That non-essential player would sit 7th on our team in points and 4th in goals right now. I'm not advocating to get him, but he's not Trent Hunter either. If his cap hit was a tad lower, he wouldn't be a bad pick up and he's proven in the past he can be a 15-15 guy that hits and fights. With him and Cliffy, we likely would have little need for Westgarth anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrange View Post
Yeah I don't like Clarkson and Zubrus either. And LL will go down with the Parise ship even if he doesn't re-sign there. No way he trades him.

If we're looking for bottom six help (and we should) then the Kings need to look at a guy like Comeau.
I've been in favour of Comeau for a while, and right now it is certainly buy low on this guy. He had a 25 goal season lat year too, so maybe a change in scenary can kick him in the right direction.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Trading Clarkson and Zubrus at this point makes little sense for NJ. Gotta look at it from their point of view.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:52 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Trading Clarkson and Zubrus at this point makes little sense for NJ. Gotta look at it from their point of view.
Totally agreed. I doubt they'd deal either without a noticable improvement coming back.

That said, the rumour was discussing the teams doing some early scouting/trade talks for a deal closer to the trade deadline, so it is possible that both could move if NJ falls off the playoff picture.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:20 AM
SFKingshomer

Comeaus been a HS, makes 2.5 mill and isn't a 3rd line player much like Okposo

Old
11-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

No on Comeau also.

I would prefer to see the Kings acquire players who are playing at a high level THIS SEASON

Sure he could bounce back, but who wants to take that chance. he has been pretty bad this season. We are better off just keeping the trash we already have on the 3rd line.

As we near closer to the holidays and more teams begin to realize this may not be their year, good quality third line players will become available.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:48 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
No on Comeau also.

I would prefer to see the Kings acquire players who are playing at a high level THIS SEASON

Sure he could bounce back, but who wants to take that chance. he has been pretty bad this season. We are better off just keeping the trash we already have on the 3rd line.

As we near closer to the holidays and more teams begin to realize this may not be their year, good quality third line players will become available.
So, what happens if the kings acquire a player playing on a high level this year but he tanks it here in LA, now what?

Old
11-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
So, what happens if the kings acquire a player playing on a high level this year but he tanks it here in LA, now what?
You can't think like that. You cannot be risk adverse in this business. They have a major problem on those lines and they need to address it.

But just to answer your question. If the guy does come in and tanks, so what? They couldn't be any more usless than any of the guys currently on the 3rd and 4th lines. I guess it would just be adding to the trash heap down there.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Primakov!

Quote:
You can't think like that. You cannot be risk adverse in this business. They have a major problem on those lines and they need to address it.

But just to answer your question. If the guy does come in and tanks, so what? They couldn't be any more usless than any of the guys currently on the 3rd and 4th lines. I guess it would just be adding to the trash heap down there.
Going by your own logic then what's the problem with acquiring a player like Comeau as RH63 suggested?

He's a player who has had past success, but is currently struggling now. And as you yourself said, you can't be risk adverse and if they come in and suck it doesn't matter.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
Going by your own logic then what's the problem with acquiring a player like Comeau as RH63 suggested?

He's a player who has had past success, but is currently struggling now. And as you yourself said, you can't be risk adverse and if they come in and suck it doesn't matter.
You bring up a valid point, but if we are going to acquire a struggling player then maybe we are just better off hoping Penner and Stoll take their heads out of their *****, rather than trade more assets for struggling players.

I would much rather pick up someone who is producing and playing at a high level.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

Lol, I don't think like that so, you don't have to worry. In case you haven't noticed, I don't blame the Penners, Moreaus, Hunters etc for their lack of production.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:23 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
You bring up a valid point, but if we are going to acquire a struggling player then maybe we are just better off hoping Penner and Stoll take their heads out of their *****, rather than trade more assets for struggling players.

I would much rather pick up someone who is producing and playing at a high level.
I think we are better off trying to get Stoll/Penner going then making a trade. I don't think any team thinks it's "out of it" at this stage, even Columbus. They do a coaching change and win 4-5 in a row, they are back in it.

As such, no one is going to deal players to use for picks/prospects most likely, unless they need the cap room, and we don't have a lot of cap room to speare as it is. That really leaves only one option, and that is dealing guys of the pro roster. Not many guys I'd be willing to trade who actually possess any value. Martinez is about it, and even then, I'd be hesitant as I'd like to keep that depth rather than make a move now.

I think we are better off holding the fort as is for now until we either get to the point some teams start "selling" or we run into actual trouble. We are tops in the Pacific and 3rd in the west, we should be fine for a while. That'll give Stoll/Penner/the rest a chance to extract their cranium from their rectal cavities and actually do something.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
guys, its not going to be Parise, so you can stop speculating that.

I have a hard time believing Clarkson is dealt, either, as both Lou and Deboer love him. also really dont want to move Zubrus.

not sure who else that leaves that interests you, just offering my opinion as a Devils fan. I would also love to get Voynov

Closed Thread