HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Brett Wilson Joins Predators Ownership Group

Old
11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
is this the thread where we are supposed to think Poile has unlimited dollars to the point where we demand a deal to mortgage the future for a top 3 rental?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Before everybody starts writing checks with the Preds logo on it remember what Wilson's inclusion does right now. The article I'm thinking about that addresses what this means is "archived for subscription only", but I remember Cigarran saying that Wilson stabilizes their overall financial footing, when coupled with their refinancing awhile back makes their debt more manageable and could minimize the financial risk of the current ownership group. Stabilizing the finances of the organization and minimizing the individual risk among the group has been a goal they've been working on since day one, and that is much closer with this deal. Maybe one day this means more money on the table for the on ice product, but for now it just shores things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
exactly. this deas not mean the pocketbooks are open

Wilson bought an equity share only and wont put any operational money in, if things are like they were when this first came up.

I suspect what he did was cashed in some of the owners debt in exchange for a share, which in turn makes each of them less vulnerable.

also, you would have to think that if a worst case scenario arose, he'd have right of firts refusal before the team could be sold to anyone else...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Are the pocketbooks open? No
Is this a good sign? Absolutely.

Random Question: Why don't the Preds let fans buy shares? Is it illegal? I know the Packers do it, but not sure about NHL rules. That could give us a big boost in money, plus makes fans feel more involved.
Naa I think we're pretty well grounded so far

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Aaaaaaah sheeet! I likey.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:52 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Everyone's saying the right things, but is there any chance he is a wolf in sheep's clothing?

I personally don't think he is, but part of me is wary of Canadian billionaires....

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:55 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

He has a very small stake in the team, and the club is healthy. I don't think this is a Trojan horse situation. I mean, it's possible and I understand sneaking suspicions, but after the length of time they went through this process of bringing him in I'd say they got to know him pretty well. And from the sounds of it he is a decent human being with a good heart who likes to help people. Plus he and Freeman go back.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:31 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
is this the thread where we are supposed to think Poile has unlimited dollars to the point where we demand a deal to mortgage the future for a top 3 rental?
Isn't that any thread?

Seriously though, this is excellent news.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Everyone's saying the right things, but is there any chance he is a wolf in sheep's clothing?

I personally don't think he is, but part of me is wary of Canadian billionaires....
Wilson was on Fan590 during the Boot's fiasco. The host stated that he hoped the team went bankrupt and Balsille bought them and moved them to Hamilton. Wilson tore into the host on his own show, and told him he was messing with the wrong fans and market. That he had been here and know's that we are the type of fans the NHL needs. He's a Stand up guy and Welcome to Nashville!!! Hell I'd spend my last dollar to buy this Canadian Billionaire a beer.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:39 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I hope Wilson is met with the best Nashville has to offer when he comes down to catch his first game as a new co-owner

Old
11-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Check out his personal website, pretty cool.

And the NFL let the Packers sell shares to the fans in the 70s (???) when the franchise wasn't doing so great and then once they realized how bad that could be for League/owners in terms of money they said no one else could do it.

I'm sure other leagues just followed suit.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:48 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Like others have already said, this is good news. Been waiting a couple of years for this to get finalized. This doesn't mean we'll go out and spend to the cap but any money coming in to help the debt load is a good thing. Also, I don't think we have to worry about him being shady because he also co-owns a minor league baseball team in tennessee already with Freeman I believe. AND he owns a loft in Nashville!

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:53 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Blum and Ellis for Iginla and Butler? Anyone?

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Excellent news. Another wallet to split the bill. Perhaps this venture gains interest of other investors on both sides of the border.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:41 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Wilson was on Fan590 during the Boot's fiasco. The host stated that he hoped the team went bankrupt and Balsille bought them and moved them to Hamilton. Wilson tore into the host on his own show, and told him he was messing with the wrong fans and market. That he had been here and know's that we are the type of fans the NHL needs. He's a Stand up guy and Welcome to Nashville!!! Hell I'd spend my last dollar to buy this Canadian Billionaire a beer.
Yup.

Congrats to you all, I'm a big fan of the Preds, and a big fan of BW. He's by all accounts a stand-up, honourable guy, earned his money through hard work and smarts, is outspoken and an ardent salesman while being a fierce negotiator but not one to take advantage of the less fortunate. He'll add to the business sense of the ownership group and fits into the respectable culture that's been hard-won by Nashville after the Boots fiasco.

Not a lot of money put into the team, but a high profile Canadian billionaire publicly putting his money where his mouth is gives a vote of confidence in the Nashville market and that isn't something to be underestimated, to players, to the media and to the business community. Also, since it was publicly mentioned for some time that BW was being courted, the fact that this comes through is a good sign that Nashville delivers when it talks.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:12 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
Check out his personal website, pretty cool.

And the NFL let the Packers sell shares to the fans in the 70s (???) when the franchise wasn't doing so great and then once they realized how bad that could be for League/owners in terms of money they said no one else could do it.

I'm sure other leagues just followed suit.
The original stock sales were back in the 30/40s. And have had several since. Usually the money is used for capital improvements to the stadium or maybe to cover signing bonuses. The "stocks" are also a non-voting share which afford the owner of said stock absolutely no rights to any revenue.

Basically people are giving them money for a piece of paper to hang on the wall.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
The original stock sales were back in the 30/40s. And have had several since. Usually the money is used for capital improvements to the stadium or maybe to cover signing bonuses. The "stocks" are also a non-voting share which afford the owner of said stock absolutely no rights to any revenue.

Basically people are giving them money for a piece of paper to hang on the wall.
They are selling Packer stocks again BTW
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...133502068.html

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:41 AM
dulzhok

This is good news.

However, he owns 5%. I don't see why he'd be willing to fork over millions more per year if he only has 5% ownership in the team. Why would he be a cash tree for the Preds, unless out of charity?

Edit: Whoops, I see people already discussed this earlier.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:27 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
He has a very small stake in the team, and the club is healthy. I don't think this is a Trojan horse situation. I mean, it's possible and I understand sneaking suspicions, but after the length of time they went through this process of bringing him in I'd say they got to know him pretty well. And from the sounds of it he is a decent human being with a good heart who likes to help people. Plus he and Freeman go back.
I agree. It seems highly unlikely that he'd be able to pull off such a hostile takeover of the company given its concentration of holders who are Nashville-based.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:28 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:

Are the shares transferrable?

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:26 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Are the shares transferrable?
nope

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:05 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Interview with Brett Wilson about his purchase of 5%:
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/articles...w-brett-wilson

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:37 AM
adsfan

Quote:

You are correct. I like the Packers, but I am not giving $200 for the piece of paper. If the team is ever sold or dissolved, the money goes to a charity. The best thing about Green Bay is no owner. No Al Davis or Jerry Jones or Art Modell to ruin everything. All the pro leagues require one person to be identified as the team rep to the league. Green Bay has a management committee that hires the GM and/or coach. But they are grandfathered in. The Packers have an owners day when the paper holders get into Lambeau Field for a "meeting". They will get 30 or 40K people for the meeting where they get to listen to the team president talk. Some teams don't get that many fans for a pre-season game!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:58 AM
adsfan

I read the JSonline article. The proposed Packers stock sale is for $250 a share. The money is to used to expand the south end zone and increase seating capacity from the current 73,128 to 79,728 for 2012.

The proposed stadium in LA is to seat 72,000. I think that it is ironic that a city of 102,000 people, with a metro area population of 350,000 needs a bigger football stadium than a city of 3 million people with a metro area of 9.5 million. No wonder that LA doesn't have an NFL team, they don't have many fans!

Go Preds!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Favorite Quote from the article: "Itís the way some deals come together. But I was at a private home for dinner, there was about 40 people there, 50 people maybe, and I happened to be sitting at a table and someone asked me if I knew Jim Ballsillie. I said I did, and the hair on the back of their neck went up, because there was some animosity toward Jim at the time because of his efforts to take the club and move them. So I told them, it wasnít like Jim and I were business partners, I just knew him, I thought he was a great guy.

They didnít like that."

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:08 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

It isn't odd that incredibly rich people know each other. I mean, they are a minority in society. Plus they can afford cool **** like jet skis

Old
11-19-2011, 01:02 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
I remember seeing an episode of the Dragons behind the Den or whatever it was they called it. They had a behind the scenes look and talk to all the Dragons from the show. Wilson wants to be an owner and wants to know that if the time is right he can be a sole owner. He did mention in the interview that he had no plans on ever moving a team he may purchase as he felt it important to let them make roots where they started. He was pretty clear that he wanted the ability to buy in and then buy out the remaining owners no matter what team he looked at. I guess he was offered stakes in the Flames and Oilers at one point. He also got into talking about how his desire to build wealth clouded his judgement and ended up costing him his family as it got to the point where making money came before his wife etc and he lost his family due to that. He said it put life into perspective at that point and he views the world and wealth in a different light now.

Last edited by 29dryden29: 11-19-2011 at 01:10 PM.
29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:24 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It isn't odd that incredibly rich people know each other. I mean, they are a minority in society. Plus they can afford cool **** like jet skis

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote