HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about Kostsitsyn and Chipchura...

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Habruti!

vCash: 500
Question about Kostsitsyn and Chipchura...

I have seen several emails on how Kostsitsyn played in the first two games of the rookie tournament and unfortunatly I was unable to attend to make my own judgment on his performance I have fiew general questions about both prospects....

1) From what I seemed to have heard, Kostsitsyn demonstrated he had skills in his first two games of the tournament. For those who have seen Pereshogin last year does he seem ahead in his development of just about the same. I believe he is one year younger the Perez was when he showed up at camp last year. So I am really interrested to see how he looks. I would guess a better question would be how he looks compared to Havlat when he firts attended that tournament but I doubt anybody would remember....

2) I guess to a simillar degree people that have seen both Staal and Higgins last year.. How does Chipcura compare to these guys (excluding skating abilities)..

Thanks.

Old
09-13-2004, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
I have seen several emails on how Kostsitsyn played in the first two games of the rookie tournament and unfortunatly I was unable to attend to make my own judgment on his performance I have fiew general questions about both prospects....

1) From what I seemed to have heard, Kostsitsyn demonstrated he had skills in his first two games of the tournament. For those who have seen Pereshogin last year does he seem ahead in his development of just about the same. I believe he is one year younger the Perez was when he showed up at camp last year. So I am really interrested to see how he looks. I would guess a better question would be how he looks compared to Havlat when he firts attended that tournament but I doubt anybody would remember....

2) I guess to a simillar degree people that have seen both Staal and Higgins last year.. How does Chipcura compare to these guys (excluding skating abilities)..

Thanks.

1)Kostitsyn, is a different player than Perezhogin, he's much more explosive and likes to carry the puck much more, and is a much better passer than Perezhogin...Perezhogin is better defensively and plays within the system and waits for his opportunity to score, while Kostitsyn tries to create them himself...sorry, didn't see Havlat when he was here...

2.Chipchura is different player than Stall and Higgins, those 2 are 2 of the best players i've seen at this tournament, Chipchura is bigger and alot more physical, but dosen't have their offensive instincts, IMO, he has to improve his skating explosiveness and his shot to be more of an offensive threat....

Hope that helped

Old
09-13-2004, 06:28 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
1)Kostitsyn, is a different player than Perezhogin, he's much more explosive and likes to carry the puck much more, and is a much better passer than Perezhogin...Perezhogin is better defensively and plays within the system and waits for his opportunity to score, while Kostitsyn tries to create them himself...sorry, didn't see Havlat when he was here...

2.Chipchura is different player than Stall and Higgins, those 2 are 2 of the best players i've seen at this tournament, Chipchura is bigger and alot more physical, but dosen't have their offensive instincts, IMO, he has to improve his skating explosiveness and his shot to be more of an offensive threat....

Hope that helped

Well said, I agree with everything. I never saw Havlat either.

Old
09-13-2004, 08:07 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Hope that helped
Perezhogin not creating is own scoring chances? Perezhogin doesnt like to carry the puck?

Im speachless...

I saw Perezhogin carriying the puck from his own zone stickhandling throught the neutral zone making the opposition looking ridicoulus twice in the same game... On the first play, he almost scored... Valiquette stole him with a magistral save...

Saying Kostitsyn is much more powerful than Perezhogin is one thing but saying Kostitsyn is a much better passer than Perezhogin is another... Perezhogin took time to adjust to the AHL caliber but once he did in the second half of the season, everything has changed, his "time/reaction" was much more better, his passing and playmaking skills also stood out... Perezhogin is a pretty smart player with superb offensive creativity... Maybe his passes dont look very crisp but its still pretty effective and accurate! I however agree it was really tough for Perezhogin in the first half of the season, he was looking like a kid playing against mens, his whole game was affected.

Old
09-13-2004, 08:21 PM
habsfansam

It's not really fair to compare Higgins, Perezhogin and Chipchura at this point... he's playing in the rookie tourney at 18, Higgins played as a 20yr old and Perez had already been playing in the RSL for 2 years (i think).

For being so young, it seems like his game is doing well... i recall that people were sold on Higgins as a good all-around player without lots of finishing flash when he was drafted, but it has improved since he was drafted. I predict the same for Chipchura... he'll score more this year by a factor of about 2: around 80-100pts.

Glad to hear that Kostitsyn is adjusting well... sounds like he's pretty happy with the organisation and is beginning to break the language barrier. We'll teach him some D and round him out and he should be a good one.

Old
09-13-2004, 09:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Perezhogin not creating is own scoring chances? Perezhogin doesnt like to carry the puck?

Im speachless...

I saw Perezhogin carriying the puck from his own zone stickhandling throught the neutral zone making the opposition looking ridicoulus twice in the same game... On the first play, he almost scored... Valiquette stole him with a magistral save...

Saying Kostitsyn is much more powerful than Perezhogin is one thing but saying Kostitsyn is a much better passer than Perezhogin is another... Perezhogin took time to adjust to the AHL caliber but once he did in the second half of the season, everything has changed, his "time/reaction" was much more better, his passing and playmaking skills also stood out... Perezhogin is a pretty smart player with superb offensive creativity... Maybe his passes dont look very crisp but its still pretty effective and accurate! I however agree it was really tough for Perezhogin in the first half of the season, he was looking like a kid playing against mens, his whole game was affected.

I don't think you read that right, as I took it a different way. I didn't see where he said Perezhogin doesn't like to carry the puck. I do think that Kostitsyn is a better passer, but I've seen a lot more of Perezhogin. One of the first things I ever noticed about Kostitsyn was how well he passed. I had heard his shot was so good, but nothing about how good of a passer he is. At least that's what I saw in the RSL.

As for Perezhogin, I've seen him take the puck end to end and score a highlight reel goal, although I don't see him carry the puck all the time, he can do it for sure. As for creating his own chances he can do it all by himself, but is likely going to be better off with a great playmaker, as he has such a good shot.

Old
09-13-2004, 09:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfansam
It's not really fair to compare Higgins, Perezhogin and Chipchura at this point... he's playing in the rookie tourney at 18, Higgins played as a 20yr old and Perez had already been playing in the RSL for 2 years (i think).

For being so young, it seems like his game is doing well... i recall that people were sold on Higgins as a good all-around player without lots of finishing flash when he was drafted, but it has improved since he was drafted. I predict the same for Chipchura... he'll score more this year by a factor of about 2: around 80-100pts.

Glad to hear that Kostitsyn is adjusting well... sounds like he's pretty happy with the organisation and is beginning to break the language barrier. We'll teach him some D and round him out and he should be a good one.

In Higgins draft year he led his team in scoring and had more goals then everyone on his team with only one player even close to him, even though he played at least 4 games less then everyone else due to him playing for Team USA, where he led the team in scoring as an 18 year old. On top of that he had success at Avalon in the USHS. Higgins has been a scorer at every level he's played at going back to High School. I don't know why, but many people had Higgins pegged for the 3rd line, but they must not have taken into account that he was Yale's top player as a freshman and dominated the ECAC in his sophomore year getting 41 pts in 28 games and being named one of the top 10 players in the NCAA.

Old
09-13-2004, 10:41 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I don't think you read that right, as I took it a different way. I didn't see where he said Perezhogin doesn't like to carry the puck. I do think that Kostitsyn is a better passer, but I've seen a lot more of Perezhogin. One of the first things I ever noticed about Kostitsyn was how well he passed. I had heard his shot was so good, but nothing about how good of a passer he is. At least that's what I saw in the RSL.

As for Perezhogin, I've seen him take the puck end to end and score a highlight reel goal, although I don't see him carry the puck all the time, he can do it for sure. As for creating his own chances he can do it all by himself, but is likely going to be better off with a great playmaker, as he has such a good shot.
Personnally, I think Perezhogin is a very nice playmaker himself, he find open ice extremmely well and his stickhandling skills, speed, shot, creativity make him a very dangerous offensive player... I mean.. What makes me so high on him is not only his impressive skillset but also the fact he is unpredictable... A bit like Ribeiro he will use his creativity to make a play when you think there is not.. But unlike Ribeiro Zhogy has the speed and acceleration to make anyone look poor defensively...

I see a great first line winger in him and I very doubt he wont reach that potential...

Old
09-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Habruti!

Quote:

Hope that helped
Well Havlat was a little tentative when he was in this tournament but looked better then Perezhogin from what I read last year (did not get to see the tournament last year either). I understand Kosts is a completely different player and I did not want to compare his style with Perezhogin. Perezhogin arrived here one year older then Kostsitsyn, but it seems to me that Kostsitsyn is closer to NHL this year the Perez was at the beguinning of last year...would you guys agree with that.

As for Chipchura I am still looking for something to compare with and unfortunatly I do not see anyone....at this point.

Old
09-14-2004, 01:23 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
In Higgins draft year he led his team in scoring and had more goals then everyone on his team with only one player even close to him, even though he played at least 4 games less then everyone else due to him playing for Team USA, where he led the team in scoring as an 18 year old. On top of that he had success at Avalon in the USHS. Higgins has been a scorer at every level he's played at going back to High School. I don't know why, but many people had Higgins pegged for the 3rd line, but they must not have taken into account that he was Yale's top player as a freshman and dominated the ECAC in his sophomore year getting 41 pts in 28 games and being named one of the top 10 players in the NCAA.
All very excellent points Montreal... I agree with you, Higgins has the potential to be a top 6 forward.

I cant wait to see how he fares in training campthis season (if they have one ) Supposed to start Wednesday though

Old
09-14-2004, 03:24 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Personnally, I think Perezhogin is a very nice playmaker himself, he find open ice extremmely well and his stickhandling skills, speed, shot, creativity make him a very dangerous offensive player... I mean.. What makes me so high on him is not only his impressive skillset but also the fact he is unpredictable... A bit like Ribeiro he will use his creativity to make a play when you think there is not.. But unlike Ribeiro Zhogy has the speed and acceleration to make anyone look poor defensively...

I see a great first line winger in him and I very doubt he wont reach that potential...

There's no doubt he's very gifted offensively, and he was always know for his goal scoring abilties, as he's had no trouble getting goals whereever he's played. I personally don't think he has great vision, but with his skills he can make good passes for sure. To me Kostitsyn is the one who will make the more "flashy" pass, where as Perezhogin doesnt see the lanes opening up ahead of time.

As for him reaching his potential, I dont' see how anyone can be so confident, as it's really hard to say what impact all this crap will have on him. I don't think it will effect his play, but it's not impossible to think he may choose not to come back. It struck me as odd, with Savard's comments when he said that he hopes that Perezhogin is forced to come back next year to honor the final year of his contract.

Old
09-14-2004, 08:49 AM
larue*

just a quick question and sorry if it has been answered in another post. If there is no hockey this year at all does Perezoghin still have to serve a one year suspension the year the league starts its regular season??? Cause if so then he might miss 2 years of hockey in NA instead of one like everyone else.

Old
09-14-2004, 10:50 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue
just a quick question and sorry if it has been answered in another post. If there is no hockey this year at all does Perezoghin still have to serve a one year suspension the year the league starts its regular season??? Cause if so then he might miss 2 years of hockey in NA instead of one like everyone else.
The suspension was dished out by the AHL. That league will have a full season this year, thus making Perezhogin eligible to play in the AHL one year from now. We all hope that he is NHL ready by then and gearing to dress for the Habs, not going back to the AHL.

Old
09-14-2004, 07:46 PM
db23

Chipchura is most similar to Guy Carbonneau, in that he usually makes the most efficient and least energy consuming play in every instance. That was Carbo's great asset. Carbo always made the optimum play in almost every situation, so he didn't need great speed or strength.

Closed Thread