HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How much hype did Daigle have?

Old
11-16-2011, 04:19 PM
BrownBeaut*

vCash: 500
How much hype did Daigle have?

Before he was drafted, strictly before. Was he receiving the type of hype that Crosby did? Or more like Stamkos? Or in between with Tavares??

Just wondering for his hype comparison.

BrownBeaut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:24 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
I would say around Tavares. It's been a long time though so I amy be off. It was pretty much a huge rumor that the Sens tanked to get him.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBeaut View Post
Before he was drafted, strictly before. Was he receiving the type of hype that Crosby did? Or more like Stamkos? Or in between with Tavares??

Just wondering for his hype comparison.
I'm talking out of my ass here, but I think that the amount of hype players get today is in a whole other league in comparison to those years. Maybe someone older than 21 year old can weigh in?

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:28 PM
BIitz
Kamo and I

GM's sent nude pictures of their wives just to negotiate with the Senators on trying to get him.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Minister of Offence

Hmm...

Yzerman, Sakic, Lafontaine, the potential for more. Though, the idiocy for much less.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
I'm talking out of my ass here, but I think that the amount of hype players get today is in a whole other league in comparison to those years. Maybe someone older than 21 year old can weigh in?
Sorry Junior (just kidding) but you are wrong. In the last 20 drafts I'd say Lindros (20 years ago) had more hype than anyone save Crosby, so it's not just "guys today get more hype".

That said, Daigle had hype, but not as much as Stamkos or Tavares, but more than RNH.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:32 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

It was huge. Not quite at the level of Lindros but way more than anyone else drafted roughly 10 years before or after.

130 points in 50 games in his draft year.

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:34 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Sorry Junior (just kidding) but you are wrong. In the last 20 drafts I'd say Lindros (20 years ago) had more hype than anyone save Crosby, so it's not just "guys today get more hype".

That said, Daigle had hype, but not as much as Stamkos or Tavares, but more than RNH.
I gotta disagree about Stamkos. Tavares had some crazy hype but Daigle was way more hyped than Stamkos.

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Guardian452

Folks were saying he was going to be franchise player and possibly the best prospect to come out of the QMJHL since Mario Lemieux.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Listen to Bob McKenzie gush all over Daigle. "Fire in his eyes like Rocket Richard around the net." Ouch.

Here's another retrospective look at Daigle and his eventual departure from Ottawa,
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...ntso_senators/

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Bobo420

From what I remember he was hyped just as much as Crosby, they compared him to Lemieux a lot since he was from Quebec also.

I'd say Lindros was the most hyped of all time.

Bobo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:38 PM
LeafsYoungGuns

He was hyped a lot more than JT but less than Crosby.

LeafsYoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:39 PM
lolwut

Other than Lindros I cant remember players getting anywhere close to the hype prospects do today.

lolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Don Nachbaur 26

Pre-Internet his hype was astounding.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

As much as Patrik Stefan...

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Daigle did receive Crosby like hype his draft year, you guys are forgetting the record contract signing that set a new standard for first round draft picks that Daigle and the Senators were responsible for. And he is among the top three players to make this list of the most anticipated draft picks in sports history:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/top...t_picks.html#3
Quote:
Back in 1993, everyone was talking about a French-Canadian kid playing for the Victoriaville Tigres of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Alexandre Daigle was a young forward who dazzled scouts with his blazing speed and had all the markings of being the best player from the region since Mario Lemieux.

So when the expansion Ottawa Senators, desperate to find a franchise player who would help get their new arena built, finished last in the regular season and got the first overall pick, general manager Randy Sexton couldn't hide his excitement.

Rumours circulated the Sens threw their last few games in order to secure the pick, although the league couldn't prove it.

Ignoring such talents as Chris Pronger, Paul Kariya and Adam Deadmarsh, Sexton named Daigle as the No. 1 selection of the 1993 entry draft.

Unfortunately for the Sens, the media spotlight was a little too much for Daigle to handle.

Lacking the passion of his teammates, Daigle never managed more than 51 points in his 4 seasons with the Senators and struggled with three more teams before retiring for two seasons to live in Hollywood.

Claiming he wanted to play again, Daigle made a comeback in 2002. In 2003-04, he scored 20 goals and 51 points to lead the Minnesota Wild in scoring, but it looks like the burden of being a first overall flop will haunt him for the rest of his career.

Old
11-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo420 View Post
From what I remember he was hyped just as much as Crosby, they compared him to Lemieux a lot since he was from Quebec also.

I'd say Lindros was the most hyped of all time.
I think part of the disagreement stems from location. In Quebec the hype for Daigle was probably insane. In Toronto I can imagine Tavares had a boatload of hype.

I'm basing my opinion on the amount of talk I heard in the Boston media (not until very very recently a media that showed even remote interest in hockey) about players. Lindros you heard about before hand. Crosby, you heard about. The other guys you only heard about around draft time.

But again, I'm sure it's totally different in Canada.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Anyone here remember the Alexander Daigle Score Card ads?

Old
11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Go Habs Go

I never saw much hype with tavares. Not any more then the average 1st overall.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Brodeur

Courtesy of Habsfan18: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=516093 (bunch of great draft pics/articles)

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:39 PM
TOML

A lot.

He was supposed to be the next great player.

Anybody remember anything about Brian Lawton hype?

It's like the first US-born player to be selected 1st overall was turned into a bust on purpose just to prove that it was Canada's game. He came in out of US high school. Hehe.

Actually, it was probably Minny thinking a US star player would attract more fans or something. Who knows?

Yzerman a North Star? Hmmm...

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Oates2Neely

Less than #88, more than Stamkos.. I'd say on par w/ Tavares, perhaps slightly more than JT. He was forever being compared to Lemieux skill-wise.. poor kid didnt stand a chance. He lacked heart however.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:28 PM
molsonmuscle360

I'd say it was borderline on the pumping that Crosby/Ovi got. Remember, they were pushing this kid like crazy in an age where 5% of the population had the internet. I actually remember me and a bunch of friends talking about how we were all going for his rookie card because we figured he was going to be the next Lemiuex.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
HockeyGuy1975

I remember this draft well. At the time there were rumors that Quebec was offering Forsberg for the draft pick in order to draft Daigle (partly b/c of French-Canadien angle). Forsberg was generally considered the best prospect outside of the NHL that year and was tearing up the Swedish league and all international competitions. I remember watching a WJC game and they interviewed an NHL scout (or GM -- I don't remember exactly) and they were comparing the two. And the scout said that he would take Daigle over Forsberg.

In my opinion (based upon my age/lifetime), the most hyped prospects were:

Lindros
Crosby
Ovi
Daigle

Tavares
Thornton
Lecavalier

Stamkos
Nolan

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Lindros definitely had the most. I'd probably give the nod to Crosby for 2nd. Daigle definitely comes in a solid 3rd. He had a TON of hype.

I think Montreal offered their entire draft or some sick package to Ottawa for him.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote