HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What's up with PK Subban?

Old
11-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Wilma

vCash: 500
What's up with PK Subban?

Leafs fan coming in peace...

What's up with Subban? I have him in my pool and he's done squat all year to the point where I'm considering dropping him if he doesn't turn it around soon. He really started to emerge last year and so I was expecting big things...but so far he hasn't been good for much besides PIMs.

Is it a product of Montreal's poor PP? Is he just snakebit? I don't mind it if he's just not getting the bounces...and I'm always hesitant to drop a young player who has the potential to bust out at any moment...but I have no exposure to Habs games so I'm hoping you all can enlighten me.

Wilma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Drop him, hes sophomore slumping

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Bunka Gurndeep

Last year in the first half of the season we seen the same thing. In the last half of the season, he was the highest scoring dman in the league

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:38 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Of course the PP has something to do with it. But he always turn it on after christmas and end up with 30pts in 40ish games. Well, that's what he did last year.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:38 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

+3 last night, he's turning it around, but I agree you should drop him.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Wilma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunka Gurndeep View Post
Last year in the first half of the season we seen the same thing. In the last half of the season, he was the highest scoring dman in the league
Interesting...this is why I ask these things

Old
11-11-2011, 09:41 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Drop him for now.

Add him back when Markov returns.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:42 AM
ruski17

Pleky on the point isn't helping him. Martin lost a lot of confidence in him.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Protest the Hero

He's not seeing first PP time so that will hurt his numbers. On top of that our PP sucks, and these guys are having trouble burying second chances, so his point shots usually lead to nothing right now.

Protest the Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Pleky on the point isn't helping him. Martin lost a lot of confidence in him.
If Martin lost confidence in Subban he wouldn't be using him on the penalty kill or matched up against the opposition's 1st line.

With the forward group so depleted and the 2nd/3rd defense pairing fairly shaky Martin has been playing Subban a lot at even-strength and on the penalty kill. To do so means limiting his time on the powerplay so he doesn't get overused.

Last night Subban played 25:34, 23:52 of which was at either even-strength or shorthanded. I don't think coaches play defensemen for 25 minutes if they don't have confidence in them.

Edit: Of course, Subban leads Habs' defensemen in PP TOI/game though as Protest the Hero said that's mostly with the second unit. Doesn't help that the Habs are sorely lacking playmakers on the PP with Plekanec playing out of position, Diaz unimpressive, and Desharnais not being good at setting up point men. Gomez and especially Markov returning will help the PP as a whole and with that Subban's point totals.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Martin hasn't lost confidence in Subban, that's ridiculous. He is not producing offensively but he has made leaps and bounds this season defensively. Obviously that's not going to help you in your pool but that doesn't really matter to me.

The numbers will come when the PP gets going but I think he's played good this year.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Bill McNeal

He's meta-trolling fans of other teams who begrudgingly took him on their fantasy teams.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
If Martin lost confidence in Subban he wouldn't be using him on the penalty kill or matched up against the opposition's 1st line.

With the forward group so depleted and the 2nd/3rd defense pairing fairly shaky Martin has been playing Subban a lot at even-strength and on the penalty kill. To do so means limiting his time on the powerplay so he doesn't get overused.

Last night Subban played 25:34, 23:52 of which was at either even-strength or shorthanded. I don't think coaches play defensemen for 25 minutes if they don't have confidence in them.

Edit: Of course, Subban leads Habs' defensemen in PP TOI/game though as Protest the Hero said that's mostly with the second unit. Doesn't help that the Habs are sorely lacking playmakers on the PP with Plekanec playing out of position, Diaz unimpressive, and Desharnais not being good at setting up point men. Gomez and especially Markov returning will help the PP as a whole and with that Subban's point totals.
He meant that Martin lost confidence in Subban on the PP. Which is obviously the case since he's not on our top unit.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:59 AM
number 11

hes playing a lot better defensively.

offensively, he isn't getting the pp time, but he's still getting plenty of shots (4th in the nhl in shots for d-men).

the points will come.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Wilma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
He's meta-trolling fans of other teams who begrudgingly took him on their fantasy teams.
I went out on a limb drafting him at all in a pool with just Leaf fans...and now I'm doubly screwed because he's not even doing well.

So yah...he's succeeding admirably at that

Old
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Martin hasn't lost confidence in Subban, that's ridiculous. He is not producing offensively but he has made leaps and bounds this season defensively. Obviously that's not going to help you in your pool but that doesn't really matter to me.

The numbers will come when the PP gets going but I think he's played good this year.
ahh no he hasn't. the only thing I notice is that hes smarter when it comes to rushing the puck up the ice and picking the proper time to do so.

Old
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

He's been fine except for his point total. He's been the victim of Martin's love affair with Yannick Weber who plays on the first PP wave instead of PK. I love Weber, but Martin should know that Subban is our main offensive threat on D and he should be used as such.

However, he's been fine defensively for the most part, plays against the other teams' best players and while he still makes costly mistakes once in a while, he's playing well. I think once he finally scores his first goal, he'll really get going. Anyhow, I sure hope so because my fantasy team needs him.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Diaz is the Darche of defence, so he gets the pp time. Drop him for now I'm sure there is someone that's producing a lot more on waivers

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
He meant that Martin lost confidence in Subban on the PP. Which is obviously the case since he's not on our top unit.
He's not on the top unit but he is leading Habs' defensemen in PP TOI and PP TOI/game (which surprised me).

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

He has been struggling on the PP, but to be fair, i think he has 40+ shots, he just isnt having much luck.

He is taking more defensive responsibility with all the injuries. Cant be run & gun with all the rooks on the back-end. I agree that when Markov/Campoli return, his numbers will jump

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
He's not on the top unit but he is leading Habs' defensemen in PP TOI and PP TOI/game (which surprised me).
who else is going to play 25 mins? maybe gorges thats it

Old
11-11-2011, 10:22 AM
PunkinDrublic*

He's no Luke Schenn.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:39 AM
JohnLennon

He'll be one of your best defensemen for the latter half of the season, book it.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Diaz is the Darche of defence, so he gets the pp time. Drop him for now I'm sure there is someone that's producing a lot more on waivers
Do you always just randomly invent things?

Subban is second on the entire team in PP time on ice and has almost twice as much as Diaz.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
It's a mixture of the dreaded "sophomore slump" and the fact that players now know what he's going to do.

Offensively, he's struggling. He has the gift of being a good stick handler and skating well too however he is cursed with the ability to want to do too much, instead of keeping it simple. He is 4th among defencemen in shots, but he could be first if he concentrated more on getting the puck to the net instead of winding up for those crazy 200 mph slapshots that usually miss the net. Offensively, he is a step below his form from last year.

Defensively, he's improved and is a step above his form from last year. He's winning battles in corners, he's hitting well, clearing the front of the net well and getting the puck out of the zone when his team needs him to.

All in all, he needs to just keep it simple offensively and the numbers should start to roll in. The return of Markov should help, if he is to be paired with him on the first PP unit.