HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Weather GDT

Old
07-24-2012, 08:25 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
It rained for 10 minutes, stopped for 30, rained again for 20 and then was sunny. Maybe it's just me, but this is what I remember years ago when I was a kid in the summer.

Heard power was out by WEM for 6 hours though. Keeping the laptop nice and full just in case.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:31 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It rained for 10 minutes, stopped for 30, rained again for 20 and then was sunny. Maybe it's just me, but this is what I remember years ago when I was a kid in the summer.

Heard power was out by WEM for 6 hours though. Keeping the laptop nice and full just in case.

If you watch the radar the severe weather did't last for long.A friend of mine who goes storm chasing even called me up and said there was golf ball sized hail south east of E-town.

Luckily Edmonton did't get any of this severe weather.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 07-24-2012 at 09:04 AM.
oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
According to Josh Classen on twitter, tornado WARNING for Leduc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The emergency warning took over the Edmonton area radio stations, really bad weather headed for Leduc and South Edmonton.
It's crazy, literally minutes after these warnings it was sunny in Leduc.

I was sitting on the edge of town(side street next to Henday between Sherwood park freeway and Whitemud and there was very little weather until about 6:30. It looked like it was going to pass me me to the west then all of a sudden it shifted and started going north then northeast. So I decided to take off from the area I was at and jump on the henday southbound where it was a trential downpour and by the time I drove to Henday and 91st street it had literally stopped raining and the sun was out.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
oilersfan11

Another tornado watch for areas south east of Edmonton today.

Leduc - Camrose - Wetaskiwin - Tofield
10:31 AM MDT Tuesday 24 July 2012
Tornado watch for
Leduc - Camrose - Wetaskiwin - Tofield issued

Potential for funnel clouds this afternoon.

Conditions are favourable for the development of funnel clouds or weak tornadoes. These types of funnel clouds form out of large cumulus clouds or very weak thunderstorms and normally do not have the energy to reach the ground. However one or two of these funnels may briefly touch down and can become destructive over a very small area. Treat all funnel clouds and tornadoes seriously and avoid when possible. Should one develop overhead take shelter until it dissipates. Remember these funnel clouds will normally appear with little or no warning.

Environment Canada continues to monitor the situation closely. Please continue to monitor your local media or weatheradio for further updates.

Should you spot a funnel cloud or tornado...And only if it is safe to do so...You can call 1-800-239-0484 to report your sighting. Please note this phone number is for reporting severe weather only.

A vertically stacked low pressure system is tracking near Camrose towards the Saskatchewan border. Thunderstorms will form this afternoon along a trough line extending from Camrose to Wainwright and towards the Saskatchewan border. Some of these thunderstorms have the potential to produce non supercell tornadoes

Old
07-24-2012, 04:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

Tornado watch is ended as per CTV...

Tornado WATCH for Leduc, Camrose, Wetaskiwin and Tofield ENDED by Environment Canada

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:43 AM
oilersfan11

City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
10:28 AM MDT Monday 30 July 2012
Severe thunderstorm watch for
City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park issued

Possible severe thunderstorms this afternoon and this evening.

This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms with large hail and damaging winds.

Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements. If threatening weather approaches take immediate safety precautions.

If you would like to report severe weather, you can call 1-800-239-0484. Please note, this phone number is only for reporting severe weather.

An upper disturbance will move over the Rockies today and track eastwards across south and Central Alberta triggering thunderstorms this afternoon and this evening. With the moist unstable air mass at the surface these thunderstorms have the potential to develop into severe thunderstorms. The main threats with these storms will be large hail, local heavy downpours and strong gusty winds.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:35 PM
joestevens29

With all the tornado review talk in the news today, I wonder what the damage would be today. Given how the areas have grown the damage would just be massive.

The one good thing though is there wouldn't be too many people without warning.

Never knew Regina had a more deadly one either. Seems odd it was news to me today.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I sure hope that no thunderstorm hits today. Our slo-pitch game was cancelled last week due to the wild weather on Monday. I'd hate to have to re-schedule two weeks in a row now. I just wanna hit the feild and get it done.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:17 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I sure hope that no thunderstorm hits today. Our slo-pitch game was cancelled last week due to the wild weather on Monday. I'd hate to have to re-schedule two weeks in a row now. I just wanna hit the feild and get it done.
Switch to wood bats.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Switch to wood bats.
I wouldn't want to be around when lightning strikes the backstop, wooden bat or not

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

I'm not convinced Meteorology should be taken much more seriously than astrology.

When the big big storms hit theres always limited or no notice.

Like in 87 when pants were caught down, or Pine lake, or CBJ or any number of other severe events.

Or a couple weeks ago when more rain fell in Millwoods in a storm than I remember since 87 and which a local meteoroligist referred to as a minor event and with no notice whatsoever. No advisory whatsoever. It was the worst storm of the summer and zero notice. A weather advisory was posted AFTER the event. Alternately several notices since have occurred some of which have been nothing.

Always seems to be the pattern when they miss one big storm they go off on a false positve predictions for a month afterwards.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post

Look at it from a positive note. If your game is cancelled, that's 2 weeks in a row you won't have to buy your teammates beer for your strikeouts.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not convinced Meteorology should be taken much more seriously than astrology.

When the big big storms hit theres always limited or no notice.

Like in 87 when pants were caught down, or Pine lake, or CBJ or any number of other severe events.

Or a couple weeks ago when more rain fell in Millwoods in a storm than I remember since 87 and which a local meteoroligist referred to as a minor event and with no notice whatsoever. No advisory whatsoever. It was the worst storm of the summer and zero notice. A weather advisory was posted AFTER the event. Alternately several notices since have occurred some of which have been nothing.

Always seems to be the pattern when they miss one big storm they go off on a false positve predictions for a month afterwards.
I agree wholeheartedly.
A meterologist would be the best job. You give ODDS!
I wish I could give odds daily in my current job and keep it.
Biggest ******** occupation I've ever seen.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.
A meterologist would be the best job. You give ODDS!
I wish I could give odds daily in my current job and keep it.
Biggest ******** occupation I've ever seen.

This sells what they do so short its laughable.

It's alot harder then Josh "never ever right" Claussen makes it look

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:16 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

What do they actually do for us? While I don't 100% agree with Replacement as I was up at 1:30am to take a leak and checked my phone and there was a notice, I still don't see what good they actually do.

Maybe if they were 100% accurate and could let me know when to cover my tomatoes then maybe I could see the point, but as it stands now I can take a look outside, take a look at the radar maps and make the same guess they do.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
What do they actually do for us? While I don't 100% agree with Replacement as I was up at 1:30am to take a leak and checked my phone and there was a notice, I still don't see what good they actually do.

Maybe if they were 100% accurate and could let me know when to cover my tomatoes then maybe I could see the point, but as it stands now I can take a look outside, take a look at the radar maps and make the same guess they do.
That's fine, but it falls into the same realm as a doctor and his diagnosis of your illness, we, for the most part, lack the training, the skills and the experience to fully understand what goes into the work they are doing, so it gets easy to look at the end situation and shout "You got it wrong, you bunch of...."

The reality of what they do is track pressure systems, the winds, the temperature from place to place. It's actually extremely hard and complicated. Because we can only see the weather that's in "our area" but the weather in our area isn't in some kind of vacuum, it's affected by many different things.

If the "experts" are curious, here's where you can get a sample of the "data" used to "make odds"

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/jet_stream/index_e.html

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/analysis/index_e.html

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/charts/index_e.html

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:

Well look at this excerpt from the forecast above.

Quote:
Possible severe thunderstorms this afternoon and this evening.

This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms with large hail and damaging winds.
This is exactly what is meant by playing odds in prognostication. This is quintessential hedging bets.

Heres my guess. No severe thunderstorms tonight or damaging hailstorms in Edmonton. Certainly nothing like the most damaging hail storm I've seen to back gardens in this region a couple weeks ago. Absolute destruction of any plants left out. Which were all left out because there was no warning whatsoever. The forecast didn't even include rain.

Anyway lets see who's right.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:31 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
That's fine, but it falls into the same realm as a doctor and his diagnosis of your illness, we, for the most part, lack the training, the skills and the experience to fully understand what goes into the work they are doing, so it gets easy to look at the end situation and shout "You got it wrong, you bunch of...."

The reality of what they do is track pressure systems, the winds, the temperature from place to place. It's actually extremely hard and complicated. Because we can only see the weather that's in "our area" but the weather in our area isn't in some kind of vacuum, it's affected by many different things.

If the "experts" are curious, here's where you can get a sample of the "data" used to "make odds"

What does that actually do for us though? Unlike your Doctor example who can make you better or keep you alive.

In Alberta there really is no reason to watch the weather people, maybe if you are in Florida where you have to worry about other things, but here no so much.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:

As you mention weather occurs due to the influence of myriad variables some of which are known, tracked, using present technology available, to soothsay a simplification of an advanced hypothesis of a probability.

In simpler terms informed guessing. With not near enough information to even warrant attention to the guessing.

I'm a cyclist, hiker, outdoorsman. For half a century its been my experience that I could better judge whats coming over the next several hours by looking and feeling what its like outside then by listening to a forecast from a meteorologist in a bunker who says its sunny out when its raining.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
What does that actually do for us though? Unlike your Doctor example who can make you better or keep you alive.

In Alberta there really is no reason to watch the weather people, maybe if you are in Florida where you have to worry about other things, but here no so much.
I'm going to apply as a meteorologist in Hawaii.

This will be my forecast which will be right on most days.

High 27 Low 20 Tradewinds, warm tropical breezes. Possible warm isolated showers.

I'd miss the odd hurricane and say that one got past me and I'd have a job beyond retirement. Except its probably in large demand.

You hinted on something important Joe. Weather in the prairies and especially Alberta is very unpredictable and due to several influences including mountains that contribute to rapidly changing conditions. In effect this whole province features "mountain weather" and anybody that isn't a liar will say that is a pretty unpredictable phenomenon. Our geography contributes with the weather so rapidly that it really precludes informative forecasting.

I go cycling, I look outside.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-30-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old
07-30-2012, 05:45 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm going to apply as a meteorologist in Hawaii.

This will be my forecast which will be right on most days.

High 27 Low 20 Tradewinds, warm tropical breezes. Possible warm isolated showers.

I'd miss the odd hurricane and say that one got past me and I'd have a job beyond retirement. Except its probably in large demand.

You hinted on something important Joe. Weather in the prairies and especially Alberta is very predictable and due to several influences including mountains that contribute to rapidly changing conditions. In effect this whole province features "mountain weather" and anybody that isn't a liar will say that is a pretty unpredictable phenomenon. Our geography contributes with the weather so rapidly that it really precludes informative forecasting.

I go cycling, I look outside.
For me it really comes down to, what do I gain if I knew it was going to rain 10mm from 10am-11:47am?

You can't prevent weather. Realize where you live and be prepared. No different than throwing an extra jacket in your car and a pair of boots in the winter. Keep an umbrella, sunscreen, and a rain coat in the Summer.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:52 PM
oilersfan11

Dangerous weather now in Red Deer country.

Red Deer Co. near Spruce View and Red Lodge Prov. Park
4:21 PM MDT Monday 30 July 2012
Tornado warning for
Red Deer Co. near Spruce View and Red Lodge Prov. Park upgraded from Severe thunderstorm warning

At 4:10 PM MDT meteorologists are tracking a severe thunderstorm 50 kilometres west northwest of Olds. This thunderstorm is moving to the southeast at 30 km/h and has the potential to produce large hail, strong wind gusts, heavy rainfall and a tornado.

This is a warning that severe thunderstorms with tornadoes are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions. Take immediate safety precautions.

If you would like to report severe weather, you can call 1-800-239-0484. Please note, this phone number is only for reporting severe weather.

Note..A summary of all warnings and watches for Southern Alberta is available in the WWCN15 CWWG bulletin issued immediately following this bulletin

Old
07-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Ya... Easy job.
Not to mention people call in and tell you what you don't know.
What a dream job.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:36 PM
oilersfan11

Very dangerous storm right now south of Red Deer.

Red Deer Co. near Pine Lake
5:28 PM MDT Monday 30 July 2012
Tornado warning for
Red Deer Co. near Pine Lake issued

At 5:20 PM MDT meteorologists are tracking a severe thunderstorm 25 kilometres north of Olds. This thunderstorm is moving to the east at 60 km/h and has the potential to produce large hail, strong wind gusts, heavy rainfall and a tornado.

This is a warning that severe thunderstorms with tornadoes are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions. Take immediate safety precautions.

Note..A summary of all warnings and watches for Southern Alberta is available in the WWCN15 CWWG bulletin issued immediately following this bulletin

Radar shows that there is potential for tennis ball hail with this storm too.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
alanschu

Quote:
For me it really comes down to, what do I gain if I knew it was going to rain 10mm from 10am-11:47am?
You can avoid the Whitemud.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote