HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's put things into perspective

Old
11-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
If you want to make a positive thread then do so. You don't have to come out and slam folks who've been critical of the club.
Exactly.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Dude, I can read just fine. Look at my post and what I bolded from yours.

Okay.... let's try this a different way.

If you want to make a positive thread then do so. You don't have to come out and slam folks who've been critical of the club.
Not sure you have, because I've criticized management and Martin myself. I guess I'm slamming myself then..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:46 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Dude, I can read just fine. Look at my post and what I bolded from yours.

Okay.... let's try this a different way.

Kriss E's next thread will be a list of thoughts we should all agree on thus negating the point of having a public discussion forums.

As we all know stating something that is contrary to the direction management is taking is obviously negative and negative things are bad so out with the bad and in with the "four legs good, two legs baaaaad"

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

After a loss to the 29th team in the NHL I can't wait for another lecture on perspective.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
After a loss to the 29th team in the NHL I can't wait for another lecture on perspective.
now now, if you have nothing nice to say, you shouldn't say anything, might offend some people...

besides, it's hard to play in front of <10,000 people when your used to sell-outs at home. Guys just needed two periods to adjust to the acoustics, can't blame them

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Bill McNeal

Gotta love the victim complex exhibited in this thread.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Because a depleted team playing back to backs with a backup goalie can't slip up against a team that always seems to give us trouble, right?

In this league even the worst teams such as the Islanders are still competitive. I mean Columbus took Boston to a shootout tonight, the Capitals got destroyed by the Jets.

Saying the Habs are bad because they lost to the Islanders is as stupid as calling them favourites for beating Philly and Boston.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Andy

Lmao at all the posters who attacked Kriss by calling him a kool aid drinker now back tracking and saying the problem is that he's attacking people who criticize.

I really wonder if some of these posters sit and watching the game hoping for a loss.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
there's a difference in recognizing success and recognizing success by the babyish ''told you so tankers'' approaches.

this board has issues in accepting that not all fans have the same opinions...

I'll put it to you in the simplistic terms that may be required for those that haven't caught-on;
  1. There is no ONE rule or approach on how to be a habs fan.
  2. We're all fans and we're all equal. Even though opinions vary.
  3. A fan that is ''less critical'' is no better than a fan that is ''very hard to please''

Some of you should should eat some soap ... because you act like children.
You are right that there is no one rule - there are differences withing the "fans". Scientists (sport psychology and marketing) already identified and named two of these groups:

- die hard fans = fans who follow/praise their team no matter they are winning or losing.

- fair weather fans = fans who only follow/praise their team when they are winning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_loyalty

So there you are - I think "fair weather fans" is a nicer word than bandwagonners or haters and I'll used it for from now on. It's scientific too, you know.

How can someone consider himself a fan when 90%+ of his posts are bashing the object of his fanaticism....beats me. Must be some sort of perverse relationship.

Also - this discussion is happening in the "let's be positive" thread not in the garbage dump that is the "fire Martin" thread - I don't even go there anymore since I'm too fragile. So let's not even go into which side attacked the other.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:39 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I really wonder if some of these posters sit and watching the game hoping for a loss.
Some probably, but others are just used to watching us blow leads, piss away solid opportunities to crappy teams, and lose when we should be winning. All this to say is when I expect us to win we don't, and when I'm sure we'll lose we pull of a win somehow. So for the sake of the team I just assume we're going to lose every game lol

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
You are right that there is no one rule - there are differences withing the "fans". Scientists (sport psychology and marketing) already identified and named two of these groups:

- die hard fans = fans who follow/praise their team no matter they are winning or losing.

- fair weather fans = fans who only follow/praise their team when they are winning.

So there you are - I think "fair weather fans" is a nicer word than bandwagonners or haters and I'll used it for from now on. It's scientific too, you know.

How can someone consider himself a fan when 90%+ of his posts are bashing the object of his fanaticism....beats me. Must be some sort of perverse relationship.

Also - this discussion is happening in the "let's be positive" thread not in the garbage dump that is the "fire Martin" thread - I don't even go there anymore since I'm too fragile. So let's not even go into which side attacked the other.
It's just the way CoolasPrice is...any postive thread, whether it's called "the positive thread" or an appreciatation thread, he's always on the first page make some negative remark, even implicit ones. Then he goes on opposing teams boards begging for a loss, then when you call him on it, he calls you a Koolaid drinker and gets insulted when you call him a basher.

Old
11-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Perspective is that when you're missing your 4 most experienced defensemen, no NHL team is a sure win, wether they are 4th or 30th there are no automatic wins.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:56 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
It's just the way CoolasPrice is...any postive thread, whether it's called "the positive thread" or an appreciatation thread, he's always on the first page make some negative remark, even implicit ones. Then he goes on opposing teams boards begging for a loss, then when you call him on it, he calls you a Koolaid drinker and gets insulted when you call him a basher.
All this coolaid talk has got me thirsty...and the only cure....is more Winning....guess I'll be thirsty for a while lol

Positive threads are great, but to be honest I never read them, its all sunshine and rainbows there and its a little too "everything is so amazing" for me, but hey 99% of Habs fans on these boards, and around the world will disagree, hell people call to TSN990 radio after a win and you'd think we just completed our 20th win in a row and have 2 100 point per game players (cough cough desharnais is not a ppg player cough cough) but when we lose the sky is falling, the world is imploding, jump ship blah blah.

Trying to keep a grip on reality is a feat in itself it seems.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:58 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

So, if some fans are fed-up with the direction of this franchise after 18 years, this makes us fair-weather fans?

Fair-weather fans don't follow when the team is losing.

Calling out fans as 'fair-weather' that are active posters and followers, despite 18 years of losing.... that is as ridiculous of statements as they come.

Your definition of a fair-weather fan is way too loose and convenient... try finding a better label.

The only thing that differentiates fans on this board is expectations ... and I'll bet that is highly correlated with AGE, and other personal attributes...

Last edited by Mike8: 11-18-2011 at 11:50 AM.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:00 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Kriss E's next thread will be a list of thoughts we should all agree on thus negating the point of having a public discussion forums.

As we all know stating something that is contrary to the direction management is taking is obviously negative and negative things are bad so out with the bad and in with the "four legs good, two legs baaaaad"
In re-reading the OP original post I have to wonder why so many guys are attacking his message. He doesn't impose his point of view simply points out that their record isn't as bad as it seems.

The problem I see is that the ones that are attacking the OP are the ones that are inflexible in their opinions and see a slam or insult in this point of view. He didn't attack the "hard to please" guys he said there is another side to see.

It's fine for you to have an opinion that management isn't doing enough. Just start a thread that shows how crappy we are and you can post there. Why come on a thread designed to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel and turn off the lights? How can you accuse the OP of being inflexible and posting the complete opposite of what he says as though it is gospel?

It seems to me that there is alot of outrage in this thread because a guy dared to say things are not as bleak as all that and it will get better. In particular the poster who had the incredible insight that we just change the coach, the GM for better ones, get bigger players up front and better players on D. Wow...that should be easy. It's not like there are 29 other teams trying to do the same thing is there?

This thread started out by being positive...a no-no to some, and has de-evolved into a pissing contest between critics and non-critics. Why the anti-positive guys have to post here is the question. Especially when they are defending their right to their own opinions by blasting the opinion of the OP. Hypocritical.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
In re-reading the OP original post I have to wonder why so many guys are attacking his message. He doesn't impose his point of view simply points out that their record isn't as bad as it seems.

The problem I see is that the ones that are attacking the OP are the ones that are inflexible in their opinions and see a slam or insult in this point of view. He didn't attack the "hard to please" guys he said there is another side to see.

It's fine for you to have an opinion that management isn't doing enough. Just start a thread that shows how crappy we are and you can post there. Why come on a thread designed to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel and turn off the lights? How can you accuse the OP of being inflexible and posting the complete opposite of what he says as though it is gospel?

It seems to me that there is alot of outrage in this thread because a guy dared to say things are not as bleak as all that and it will get better. In particular the poster who had the incredible insight that we just change the coach, the GM for better ones, get bigger players up front and better players on D. Wow...that should be easy. It's not like there are 29 other teams trying to do the same thing is there?

This thread started out by being positive...a no-no to some, and has de-evolved into a pissing contest between critics and non-critics. Why the anti-positive guys have to post here is the question. Especially when they are defending their right to their own opinions by blasting the opinion of the OP. Hypocritical.
When feeling attacked, the natural eaction of any human is to defend itself.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There wasn't any slamming of anybody until some negative nancies had to poke their ugly noses and try to play the victim card. Seriously, some "fans" are real vultures and the moment you rather see the team lose to bring "change", you stop being a fan and you start being an ###.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
When feeling attacked, the natural eaction of any human is to defend itself.
The mere defense of these people when you didn't attack them in the first place shows that THEY are aware of the game they play on these boards.

All you said was cheer up. Appearntly this is the most controversial thing you could have ever said. Cheer up!? you're a koolaid drinker and you are attacking us!

Old
11-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Fire Martin, Fire Gauthier, Cole sucks, Gomez sucks, PP is horrendous and coaches need to be fired because of it, our Defense sucks, Pearn fired etc..
We pretty much heard it all by now.Our Habs still aren't escaping any sort of criticism. Most fans jump at any chance they get to spit out their criticisms.

We all know we had a rough start, but since our win versus Philly, we're 7-2-1. Yet, it still feels like we're doomed to fail if we listen to plenty of fans.

Things aren't so bleak. So cheer up, Habs land.
Quote:
The mere defense of these people when you didn't attack them in the first place shows that THEY are aware of the game they play on these boards.

All you said was cheer up. Appearntly this is the most controversial thing you could have ever said. Cheer up!? you're a koolaid drinker and you are attacking us!
A comprehension problem?

Old
11-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Andy

Quote:
A comprehension problem?
If that offends you, then you guys have big time insecurity issues. The defense on the part of the posters here, just show that they know what game they're playing.

The funny part about comprehension was that Kriss got accused of being a koolaid drinker and it wasn't until the Lafleursguy's comment in the 5th page that people changed their complaint to the "you are telling us we can't criticize".

Last edited by Andy: 11-18-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old
11-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
A comprehension problem?
That is not an attack, that is a factual statement. An attack would be saying that these points/the people who posts them, are "wrong". He didn't say anything of such, he pointed out the fact that the team is having some new found success despite all the hardships that others have brought up and keep bringing up. Please go read all the threads referring to these points.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
That is not an attack, that is a factual statement. An attack would be saying that these points/the people who posts them, are "wrong". He didn't say anything of such, he pointed out the fact that the team is having some new found success despite all the hardships that others have brought up and keep bringing up. Please go read all the threads referring to these points.
The best part is that even Kriss has been criticizing certain things he's seen in some games, so I doubt he'd be telling other people that they weren't allowed to criticize.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
The best part is that even Kriss has been criticizing certain things he's seen in some games, so I doubt he'd be telling other people that they weren't allowed to criticize.
I'm a ****ing fan that criticizes the Habs game in and game out, but with that comes the equal responsibility to give credit where it is due. The team has gone above and beyond expectations with regards to injuries at every position imaginable. I give credit to Jacques Martin for icing a team that at least can compete against most teams.

Do I feel attacked? No, because Kriss didn't attack anybody. The only people that feel attacked are those that don't agree with his statement that the Habs are better than we thought they were (based on the first 10 games). They just can't accept that fact? I don't know.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
If that offends you, then you guys have big time insecurity issues. The defense on the part of the posters here, just show that they know what game they're playing.
I am not offended, just pointing out with bolded text that you do not understand the purpose of the OP, which of course was to offer himself as an oasis of perspective in a desert of insanity.

Unfortunately we're not in the Desert of Insanity we're travelling the Strait of Mediocrity and some people see the need to change tour guides.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Andy

Quote:
I am not offended, just pointing out with bolded text that you do not understand the purpose of the OP, which of course was to offer himself as an oasis of perspective in a desert of insanity.

Unfortunately we're not in the Desert of Insanity we're travelling the Strait of Mediocrity and some people see the need to change tour guides.
Yes, I'm sure Kriss intended to come in as the saviour. The only people making this an issue are the people who feel defended. Kriss said even when playing well they can't escape some of the ridiculous criticism. they've been getting..which is true...do you want to dispute that...please do.

He then said in the second bolded part that despite the winning streak, people are still acting like this team is destined to fail.

Quote:
but since our win versus Philly, we're 7-2-1. Yet, it still feels like we're doomed to fail if we listen to plenty of fans.
Seems like the only comprehension problem here is on your part since you read what you wanted to. It doesn't clearer than that. "We've been winning, but listening to the fans, you'd think they were the worst team"

Why is that controversial for you?

He's been accused of being a koolaid drinker, he's been accused of attacking people who criticize, yet he hasn't done any of these. The comprehension problem falls on them.