HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pageau Injured

Old
11-17-2011, 09:34 AM
operasen

vCash: 500
Pageau Injured

From Citizen:

PAGEAU INJURY BAD NEWS FOR SENATORS, OLYMPIQUES

The Gatineau Olympiques and Ottawa Senators were both feeling the pain Wednesday after it was learned that Jean-Gabriel Pageau could be out a month after breaking his finger in Tuesday's 5-1 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League win over the Shawinigan Cataractes.

Pageau, the Olympiques' captain and leading scorer, is also a Senators prospect, selected in the fourth round (96th overall) at June's NHL entry draft. Pageau, who scored in Tuesday's game, has 18 goals and 13 assists in 17 games. The high-scoring centre was hoping to receive an invite to Canada's world junior team evaluation camp.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:39 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Well this sucks...

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:41 AM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

When the title said bad news I thought it was going to be serious.... but a finger? who cares. People break fingers all the time.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:07 AM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
From Citizen:

PAGEAU INJURY BAD NEWS FOR SENATORS, OLYMPIQUES

The Gatineau Olympiques and Ottawa Senators were both feeling the pain Wednesday after it was learned that Jean-Gabriel Pageau could be out a month after breaking his finger in Tuesday's 5-1 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League win over the Shawinigan Cataractes.

Pageau, the Olympiques' captain and leading scorer, is also a Senators prospect, selected in the fourth round (96th overall) at June's NHL entry draft. Pageau, who scored in Tuesday's game, has 18 goals and 13 assists in 17 games. The high-scoring centre was hoping to receive an invite to Canada's world junior team evaluation camp.
Why is it bad for the senators...was he going to be called up? Was his finger amputated?

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:25 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Unless he broke the part of his finger that contained all of his hockey IQ and skating ability, I'm sure it's not the end of the world....

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:26 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Why is it bad for the senators...was he going to be called up? Was his finger amputated?
Probably because this means no WJC invite...which means no WJC...which means missing out on a big opportunity for his development...

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Probably because this means no WJC invite...which means no WJC...which means missing out on a big opportunity for his development...
There is so much emphasis on the WJC that I don't get. Sure it is exciting and all, but the best players at 18-20 don't always end up being the best players in the NHL. Add in that the tournament often boils down to run and gun, since there is little time to implement much of a system. More often than not it contributes very little to development.

Memorial Cup experience is better IMO. Most teams that make it play a solid, structured team game, which translates best to the NHL.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:12 AM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Yeah, it sucks that he is injured but I was relieved to see he is only going to be out for a month. I was expecting the whole season after reading the headline!

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:17 AM
jbeck5

If he's out only for a month then how much does it really affect? Team canada has a rough idea of what their team will look like at this point, so what happens over the next month won't change much. Secondly, in a month,when he is recovered, the tournament will not even be starting for another week and a half.

If he was going to make the team, he'd still be on it as he would be ready for the tournament. It's not like another couple weeks of hockey would change team canada's mind.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
There is so much emphasis on the WJC that I don't get. Sure it is exciting and all, but the best players at 18-20 don't always end up being the best players in the NHL. Add in that the tournament often boils down to run and gun, since there is little time to implement much of a system. More often than not it contributes very little to development.

Memorial Cup experience is better IMO. Most teams that make it play a solid, structured team game, which translates best to the NHL.
I think it's less about the actual system and more about the stage personally. I think it's a great test for prospects in terms of being able to handle pressure and play a role on a team that's assembled quickly.

Whether one good tournament can really up the development of a prospect is debatable but some guys have used it as a launching pad to success.

I think it's fair to say you'd rather have a prospect play in the tournament as opposed to not play in it...same goes for the Mem Cup.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
He was a long shot for a camp invite anyways.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post

I agree with you, but it's also alot harder to get Mem cup experience as only 4 teams makes it there. As an organization, you have a lot more chance to see one of your prospects in the WJC than in the Mem cup tourney.

Pageau had a great playoff last year but unless he's traded to a Q contender, I'd be surprised if the Piques go further than one round.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Zorf

Someone change the Thread title to say, "Pageau breaks finger." That way, no one needs to worry about the little munchkin. My immediate thought was that his tiny leg must have fallen off or something to make his injury worthy of a new thread and a headline that reads (in capital letters): PAGEAU INJURY BAD NEWS FOR SENATORS, OLYMPIQUES

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote