HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What I like most about this winning streak...

Old
11-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
What I like most about this winning streak...

They're winning games in regulation. Aside from the Anaheim game, they've kept their opponents from gaining a point in the standings. That's huge. All the winning in the world means jack if you can't separate yourself in the standings.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Agreed. Just looked at the schedule and had seen that we are winning most of our games in regulation.

And we're lossless in November.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:22 AM
GAGLine

Not only that, but ROW is the first tie breaker. Only philly has more than us, but they've played 1 more game. The debbies have gotten half their wins via the shootout.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:48 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
I don't even count the ANA-NYR game as an OT/SO Win. In my book the rangers won that game at least 8-1 if a hockey god did not posses hiller for 3 periods.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:15 AM
NYRKING30

great point, at times last year it felt like 30 of the 44 wins came after 60 mins. this stat will be very important this year and it also shows the growth of a team as well i think.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:41 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

They're winning in regulation.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:42 AM
NYR Viper

There is still a lot of room for improvement and yet they are still winning.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
There is still a lot of room for improvement and yet they are still winning.
It's a good thing, but let's not kid ourselves. We're beating up on teams that for the most part aren't very good. As you allude to, we're going to need to be better if we want to beat teams like Pitt, Philly, Washington & Boston with regularity.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:33 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
It's a good thing, but let's not kid ourselves. We're beating up on teams that for the most part aren't very good. As you allude to, we're going to need to be better if we want to beat teams like Pitt, Philly, Washington & Boston with regularity.

a problem that the rangers have had a very tough time overcoming the last decade is playing down to other teams levels, glad to see that they're improving in this area

thats something that seperates average teams from good teams

and besides that, a winning streak is a winning streak...i dont care who we played becuase winning 7 straight games in the NHL is a hell of an accomplishment

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
They don't make the schedule. They also beat some pretty good teams from the west.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:33 AM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
a problem that the rangers have had a very tough time overcoming the last decade is playing down to other teams levels, glad to see that they're improving in this area

thats something that seperates average teams from good teams

and besides that, a winning streak is a winning streak...i dont care who we played becuase winning 7 straight games in the NHL is a hell of an accomplishment
exactly. last year especially during the last 2 months with all of those vital playoff points on the lines, we would look great against the bostons and washingtons of the league but with the season winding down we were shutout 3-0 in game 81 vs the thrashers. a week prior got blown out on long island 6-2, while the night before we lost to a playoff bound buffalo sabres (we always have problems playing them). then a couple of games before that we lose in a shootout vs ottawa 2-1. the game prior to ottawa was against the panthers at msg. we won that game 1-0 but nearly lost because vokun was god-like that night. so yeah we usually tend to have a hard time to get up on game day against lesser teams or teams we should beat. this year we are beating the teams we need to beat whcih is exactly what a good team is supposed to do just as you say.

also agreed that winning 7 in a row against any team great or bad is a great accompishment especially when we havent seen that many the past 15 years. besides the one 2 years ago, i think i remember 1 other 7 game win streak we had and that was during the rangers dark years. am i missing any? with that being said, all of this winning just makes me say bring on the bruins,flyers,penguins,sabres,caps. knowing the guys you know they will be up at 7 am ready to go against those teams and the guys know that as well. once thanksgiving starts the schedule will get tough again as well be playing a lot of good teams coming up including our 1st meetings of this season with our rivals, the devs,pens, and flyers. all i know is when staal does come back i dont know how anybody will be able to score on us consistently. i just hope all other fans outside of hf rangers recognize the team we have and truly appreciate it. this is the closest knit rangers team ive seen since 94. i was only 5 at the time but say that year because it was a cup year.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
all i know is when staal does come back i dont know how anybody will be able to score on us consistently.
Not to derail this topic or anything. But personally, I'm not expecting him back at all this season. To go to the extreme of things, it wouldn't surprise me if he was done career wise. But I doubt we'll see Staal this season.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Not to derail this topic or anything. But personally, I'm not expecting him back at all this season. To go to the extreme of things, it wouldn't surprise me if he was done career wise. But I doubt we'll see Staal this season.
I agree with this. We can all hope Staal will come back, but at this point we (and the team) need to just assume he won't be here...and perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised. Doesn't look good.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I agree with this. We can all hope Staal will come back, but at this point we (and the team) need to just assume he won't be here...and perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised. Doesn't look good.
You never know with concussions, but it's reasonable to expect him back by January-February, unless somehow his rehabbing gets screwed up. The hit just didn't look bad enough to be career-ending.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:13 PM
NYRKING30

we keep hearing mixed reactions i guess.. one says deff out for the year the other is career ending the other is by the all star break. the truth is none of us have no idea its liek a crapshoot we may have a better chance of hitting the lotto.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:35 PM
The Beezer

For me it's something as simple as puck movement. So many years I would watch teams pass the puck up and down the ice and score these pretty tic-tac-toe goals against us. It would always bother me that the Rangers were unable to do this on the most basic level. Finally with the addition of Richards, Gaborik playing as good as I can remember and some of the younger guys finally seeming to get it. The puck movement has been tremendous and has led to them scoring (some really nice) goals during this streak. Hopefully this trend continues.

The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Longest winning streak in 36 years.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

Nobody will have a 7 game streak playing Pitt, Philthy, Wash and Boston exclusively.

No team beats everyone, but s goods team doesn't lose points ti the bottom-feeders.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:13 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
True. Which means we do need to temper our excitement.

On the other hand, it's also true that there are generally no "gimme" games on the NHL schedule. Any team can win on any night if the other team doesn't show up.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:43 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1026215

Just sayin....

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:57 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Leave it to Ranger fans to throw a wet towel on everything. Yawn....Zzzzzzzzz

You play and beat who's on your schedule.

The Pens and the Flyers haven't played division opponents either. Outside of the Devils and Islands.

They've played similar teams like the Rangers: Jets, Canes and the West coast teams.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Some of my best ideas are subconscious plagiarism.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:22 PM
ohbaby

Very surprised with the winning streak considering I don't think there was one game where we played an entire 60 minutes. Every game was close and tight with the exception of SJ. Hank and Marty have never looked better and have been giving us a chance to win. So with that said,...there is much more room for improvement.

Strange that what i'm talking about is being more consistent for a full 60 minutes, when they couldn't be anymore consistent in winning.

I'm guessing it's a case of goods teams find a way even when they're not at their best. But we shall see.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Longest winning streak in 36 years.
Since I'm apparently bumming people out I won't mention the fact that we also won 7 games in a row 2 years ago...you know, that year we missed the playoffs.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

what i like about this winning streak is i dont feel its Henrik just stealing us win after win that we don't deserve. henrik is playing great, but hes not the sole reason we are winning.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote