HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tripe! (Bucky Gleason Article)

Old
11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
So now, we are defending Tim Connolly's work ethic?

jeez, what a difference a new uniform makes

I think Connolly was a lazy player, who rarely gave a 100% night in and night out.

Maybe when one of the leaders of the team defends a player such as Connolly.... it can **** up a locker room.

The bias I see... is that Tim Connolly becomes defendable, when defending him is in turn defending Miller. I find that completely telling of where some fans stand.
That wasn't the point that was made. Miller always defends his teammates. Miller stood up for a former teammate and a fellow player in the league.

I seriously doubt that any players interpreted that as Miller defending Connolly's work ethic or lack of production.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:29 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Incorrect Reports? So Connolly wasn't a passive and lazy? He gave 100%, his effort was not questionable???

So now, we are defending Tim Connolly's work ethic?

jeez, what a difference a new uniform makes

I think Connolly was a lazy player, who rarely gave a 100% night in and night out.

Maybe when one of the leaders of the team defends a player such as Connolly.... it can **** up a locker room.

The bias I see... is that Tim Connolly becomes defendable, when defending him is in turn defending Miller. I find that completely telling of where some fans stand.
I'm not defending Connolly at all. I didn't like Connolly and thought he was soft as hell. No idea why you think I've changed my mind.

I'm saying that Bucky's articles about him were lazy, agenda driven pieces that were essentially beating a dead horse. To the point that he rarely tried to look beyond Connolly and have a fresh take on other things or players. Any possible shortcomings or struggles the team had it was a given we would get a bash Connolly opinion piece from Bucky. Or even pieces he wrote about other players in the league, he would find a way to snipe at Connolly in those articles. He hated Connolly and bashed him at every opportunity. This past summer was his last shot at Connolly.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:30 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Or even pieces he wrote about other players in the league, he would find a way to sipe at Connolly in those articles. He hated Connolly and bashed him at every opportunity.
Much like he's doing with Miller now. Miller didn't even play the last two games, is out for an unknown duration with a concussion, and Bucky is still writing about Miller instead of the team that's actually on the ice. Gleason is a joke of a journalist.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
So breaking down what he wrote --

OK, so he was told that Miller was emotional on Saturday? And... this is news? This illustrates what about Miller being a "bad apple" as you are implying? Your point has consistently been about salary and which teams are having success or failure around high-contract goaltenders. Don't recall anything about Miller being an issue...

Buckster moving on to something he's opined about previously:

This is some bushleague conjecture here on his part. I'd go so far as to point out some of the other players ticks when something goes wrong, like the lopsided Gerbe smile, even when he's getting the stupid penalty, or Kaleta sticking his chin out at people like he's a weathervane, or Vanek's eyerolling/swearing/stickslamming. But this "visual phrenology" seems pretty thin stuff, sketchy AT BEST to base team opinion of a given player upon -- and about as sure-fire as phrenology was in the first place. There is a big collapse between what happened/what was said and what people are making those things mean. What happened -- Miller gets scored on and moves in a certain way or looks somewhere (be it at someone, at something, up or down or side to side). What people make it mean -- he is a "bad apple", he is a bad teammate, he's entitled, he has gas from too much pasta for lunch, etc....

It seems like pretty thin stuff when the comments coming out of the room are consistently that they are with him and with one another. Manufactured if you will. Propaganda even.

The thin stuff, or conclusions drawn based on what information is available, is all in the eyes of the beholder. I draw similar conclusions based on the same stuff. And I would argue that anything that leads you to the complete opposite opinion is just as thin. Body Language, Personality, Attitude.... can all be read to make an inference

PS I think goaltenders are rather generic, therefore I wouldn't invest significant high salary, cap, long term contracts in them. They are as good as the team around them. There are elite seasons, very rarely are there elite individuals.

Believing that Miller is a train wreck of a personality is a completely different topic.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
See post #50 for the links to the Globe and Mail about Miller and TC.

And the other part of this that smacks of fishy -- he got some sort of response to a question about how was Miller prior to the media scrum on Saturday. Bucky's opener don't indicate that someone came and told him this, but it is something he surmised. Is there someone who is chatting it up to the press or is this just Buckster trolling for a reaction? Given the history recently, I lead toward the later.

11-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
“It’s unfortunate the media hasn’t even let him get on the ice before starting with this crap,” Miller said Thursday.

“I think some people in the media [in Buffalo] felt like he owed them explanations beyond what he cared to share, and it just became a little bit of a vendetta. From my perspective, the only thing Tim doesn’t care about is what the talking heads think about him. He cares about hockey fans, he cares about winning and he cares about his teammates.

“In my book, that’s all that matters.”
Then WTF were you wasting your time with the media for?

Old
11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Then WTF were you wasting your time with the media for?
Have you never gone out of your way to defend a friend who was unjustly being portrayed (in your opinion) even if you knew they didn't care or didn't care all that much?

He's a NHL goaltender, but he's still a person.

If your argument is that Miller actually does care about what the media says to an extent... where are you going with that? I'm sure every player cares somewhat. How could you not? Bucky knows that, that's why he's trolling players/personalities he doesn't like.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:37 PM
joshjull

Quote:
The thin stuff, or conclusions drawn based on what information is available, is all in the eyes of the beholder. I draw similar conclusions based on the same stuff. And I would argue that anything that leads you to the complete opposite opinion is just as thin. Body Language, Personality, Attitude.... can all be read to make an inference

PS I think goaltenders are rather generic, therefore I wouldn't invest significant high salary, cap, long term contracts in them. They are as good as the team around them. There are elite seasons, very rarely are there elite individuals.

Believing that Miller is a train wreck of a personality is a completely different topic.

You are as obvious as your are passionate when it comes to hating on Miller. You just keep coming up with new theories to attack Miller with. You always have and always will. This is just one of the latest. Please spare us the nonsense that this isn't part of your bash Miller campaign.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

We have the words of the players -- what they have actually said about Miller. That isn't "thin stuff" but in the realm of reality. The conjecture is what a shrug or a gaze or an ass scratch means about someone. That's what's in the eye of the beholder that's what appears to be made up here.

As for the generic netminder thing -- yep, that's what I recall as your position on things. Not anything else.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Have you never gone out of your way to defend a friend who was unjustly being portrayed (in your opinion) even if you knew they didn't care or didn't care all that much?

He's a NHL goaltender, but he's still a person.
Again, I ask the question... was that portrayal unjust? Really? Isn't that the same portrayal that 90% of this board would've given?

I think it's an example of Emotional Ryan Miller, and proof that he's NOT the leader many think he is.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:43 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Again, I ask the question... was that portrayal unjust? Really? Isn't that the same portrayal that 90% of this board would've given?

I think it's an example of Emotional Ryan Miller, and proof that he's NOT the leader many think he is.
You're missing my point. He publicly defended a former teammate. That's what good teammates do. Do you really want players publicly outing each other to Bucky Gleason? Because I gotta be honest, I don't want anyone on my team who does that, particularly not a team 'leader'.

Besides, what happened to the mantra that good teammates support each other - publicly and privately? How do you know Miller didn't ever speak to Connolly privately about anything?

Old
11-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Kruschiki

This Miller/Enroth thing could get ugly.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
We have the words of the players -- what they have actually said about Miller. That isn't "thin stuff" but in the realm of reality. The conjecture is what a shrug or a gaze or an ass scratch means about someone. That's what's in the eye of the beholder that's what appears to be made up here.

As for the generic netminder thing -- yep, that's what I recall as your position on things. Not anything else.
I guess 99% of goaltenders have no leadership, personality, attitude problems... since I don't recall many instances of teammates pointing such a thing out to the press or having negative things to say to the press... I mean, if that's the only standard we have to go by, we may as well NEVER have any conversation about anything that's not a hockey play on the ice (and we certainly can't infer too much into what they do on the ice)...

Old
11-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

What I took from that: Miller defends his teammates, even when they've moved on. Noble? Possibly. Stupid? Also possible.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:46 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
While various existing codes have some differences, most share common elements including the principles of — truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, impartiality, fairness and public accountability — as these apply to the acquisition of newsworthy information and its subsequent dissemination to the public.
Yea, Bucky isn't a journalist, he's a sensationalist

Quote:
Journalists should:

— Test the accuracy of information from all sources and exercise care to avoid inadvertent error. Deliberate distortion is never permissible.
— Diligently seek out subjects of news stories to give them the opportunity to respond to allegations of wrongdoing.
— Identify sources whenever feasible. The public is entitled to as much information as possible on sources' reliability.
— Always question sources’ motives before promising anonymity. Clarify conditions attached to any promise made in exchange for information. Keep promises.
Yea, Bucky lives by this code of ethics..... Not

Last edited by ZZamboni: 11-17-2011 at 02:52 PM.
ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I guess 99% of goaltenders have no leadership, personality, attitude problems... since I don't recall many instances of teammates pointing such a thing out to the press or having negative things to say to the press... I mean, if that's the only standard we have to go by, we may as well NEVER have any conversation about anything that's not a hockey play on the ice (and we certainly can't infer too much into what they do on the ice)...
Just to ask -- what did a teammate point out to the press with a negative thing to say here?

Old
11-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

You are as obvious as your are passionate when it comes to hating on Miller. You just keep coming up with new theories to attack Miller with. You always have and always will. This is just one of the latest. Please spare us the nonsense that this isn't part of your bash Miller campaign.
I think he's an emotional train wreck... yes.

I think he's always been an emotional, determined, and passionate player. And I don't think he's been able to deal with it properly over the last few years I think the amount of failures piling up since the Bruins series have taken their toll. (Blown series lead, blown 3rd period leads, blown gold medal, blown season start, blown comeback due to injury, Enroth guides playoff birth, blown 3rd periods, blown series lead, average start, Enroth steals spotlight, 2nd concussion in 8 months, crying in lockerroom)

Old
11-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Just to ask -- what did a teammate point out to the press with a negative thing to say here?
nothing

i was replying to this:

Quote:
We have the words of the players -- what they have actually said about Miller. That isn't "thin stuff" but in the realm of reality.
If that's the barometer, then there is nothing negative to say about any goalie in regards to the lockerroom/personality/attitude... because no one ever really speaks to the press that way...

Old
11-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
What I took from that: Miller defends his teammates, even when they've moved on. Noble? Possibly. Stupid? Also possible.
agreed

Old
11-17-2011, 02:56 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
I actually agree... sort of...

There's more to team success than individual statistics/performance. I think the personalities, demeanor, attitude of 2 specific players has been a BIG reason why this team has lacked identity, chemistry, and a team mentality for the last 4+ seasons.

But I'm just a stupid hater with a dumb opinion
Thanks for proving this yet again

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Thanks for proving this yet again
You're welcome!

Thanks for objectively reading my opinions, and responding in kind

Old
11-17-2011, 03:09 PM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Facts:
  • Ryan Miller has won more games for the Sabres than he's lost through his own play.
  • Miller is emotional, wears it on his sleeve, and is wired like quite a few goalies are.
  • Miller rarely, if ever, blames himself for poor performances.
  • Miller almost always sticks up for individual teammates in the press.
  • If Enroth was getting lit up, these threads and articles don't exist, except in the fringes.
  • Terry Pegula and Ted Black both called TBN out in a recorded conversation last year.
  • Fiery opinion sells papers.
  • TBN reporters are competing with social media more than ever for scoops and stories.
  • Bucky Gleason drafted the worst fantasy baseball team I've ever seen in 2000 or so. He sat at my table for the draft.

What does this all mean? Beats me, but it puts this and several other articles/episodes in context. Also means the guy would be an awful baseball GM.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFG View Post
Facts:
  • Ryan Miller has won more games for the Sabres than he's lost through his own play. OPINION
  • Miller is emotional, wears it on his sleeve, AGREEand is wired like quite a few goalies are.OPINION/prefer stone cold emotionless goalies myself
  • Miller rarely, if ever, blames himself for poor performances. AGREE
  • Miller almost always sticks up for individual teammates in the press.AGREE
  • If Enroth was getting lit up, these threads and articles don't exist, except in the fringes.See Lalime articles in the past 2 years
  • Terry Pegula and Ted Black both called TBN out in a recorder conversation last year.
  • Fiery opinion sells papers.Finally a Fact
  • TBN reporters are competing with social media more than ever for scoops and stories.Good Point
  • Bucky Gleason drafted the worst fantasy baseball team I've ever seen in 2000 or so. He sat at my table for the draft.lol

What does this all mean? Beats me, but it puts this and several other articles/episodes in context. Also means the guy would be an awful baseball GM.
interesting list

Old
11-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Well now, this got heated pretty quickly. Didn't even have time to grab my popcorn.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:17 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFG View Post
Facts:
  • Ryan Miller has won more games for the Sabres than he's lost through his own play.
  • Miller is emotional, wears it on his sleeve, and is wired like quite a few goalies are.
  • Miller rarely, if ever, blames himself for poor performances. Opinion
  • Miller almost always sticks up for individual teammates in the press.
  • If Enroth was getting lit up, these threads and articles don't exist, except in the fringes. Opinion
  • Terry Pegula and Ted Black both called TBN out in a recorded conversation last year.
  • Fiery opinion sells papers.
  • TBN reporters are competing with social media more than ever for scoops and stories.
  • Bucky Gleason drafted the worst fantasy baseball team I've ever seen in 2000 or so. He sat at my table for the draft.

Facts ????

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote