HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals @ Jets. 8:30pm. MTS Center. 11.17.2011.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I can't wait to see which model franchise hires BB after he gets run out of Washington.

Bruce would get a job rather easily. I'd imagine Columbus would be all over it.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:26 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
An unstructed coach that has no respect...yea the BJs would be all over that..lol

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:24 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
An unstructed coach that has no respect...yea the BJs would be all over that..lol
well BB did take a lottery draft team and turn them into a stanley cup contender, im sure the BJs would like that

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Yeah.... I said model franchise. BB is perfect for a desperate bottom dweller with zero direction.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
well BB did take a lottery draft team and turn them into a stanley cup contender, im sure the BJs would like that
Stanley Cup Contender?

You must be joking.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Yeah.... I said model franchise. BB is perfect for a desperate bottom dweller with zero direction.
Yeah...and why would a 'model' franchise need a coach?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Stanley Cup Contender?

You must be joking.
They were one game away from beating the Stanley Cup champions 3 years ago...I'd say they were and still are Stanley Cup contenders.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
They were one game away from beating the Stanley Cup champions 3 years ago...I'd say they were and still are Stanley Cup contenders.
Further than that, it could be fair to say that any team that makes the playoffs are Stanley Cup Contenders -- given the nature of the playoffs... and any teams that can make the playoffs year after year after year, even more so.

So much negativity on this board. Must come from being a fan of a team in a city that pretty uniformly sucks in sports over the past 20 years.

Almost every team that's started out this year hot has had a bad stretch.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:47 AM
um

Quote:
Stanley Cup Contender?

You must be joking.
yes they are, and its not even close

Old
11-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Atlas

Quote:
well BB did take a lottery draft team and turn them into a stanley cup contender
The Capitals have never in their history been a Stanley Cup contender. That will change only when fans and ownership recognize the difference between a good team and a great team.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:23 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The Capitals have never in their history been a Stanley Cup contender. That will change only when fans and ownership recognize the difference between a good team and a great team.
i think going to the cup finals or winning the presidents trophy make you cup contenders

Old
11-19-2011, 05:27 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:

thats dialling up the dumb, even for someone in a pretty negative place as far as the caps go like me.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Capsman

Quote:
I look at it more as BB rode the team's wave. The turnaround in 07-08 was an example of guys responding to a new coach as well as the training wheels being taken off. That was not a lottery cabler team talent-wise and most publications thought they were a playoff team. That said, you may be right that the BJs would try to recapture that magic on their own team. And who knows, he may have success with that particular group of characters, doesn't mean he is right for us at this point.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:09 AM
txpd

so...just any coach not named glen hanlon does what boudreau has done with the capitals. its the bare baseline?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
so...just any coach not named glen hanlon does what boudreau has done with the capitals. its the bare baseline?
No, but the idea that he turned a "lottery team" into a playoff team is obviously ridiculous. He got a playoff-caliber team to play to its potential in ways that it couldn't have under a coach (Hanlon) who had lost the team (and to some extent was in the wrong place at the wrong time). Not every coach would have gotten them into the playoffs, but the turnaround was pretty much inevitable.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:07 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
No, but the idea that he turned a "lottery team" into a playoff team is obviously ridiculous. He got a playoff-caliber team to play to its potential in ways that it couldn't have under a coach (Hanlon) who had lost the team (and to some extent was in the wrong place at the wrong time). Not every coach would have gotten them into the playoffs, but the turnaround was pretty much inevitable.
i love the it was inevitable thing. lets be clear about what actually happened. boudreau took over a last place team at thanksgiving. a last place team at thanksgiving had not and have not since ever made the playoffs. in order to make the playoffs the capitals needed to essentially have the best record in the league for the remainder of the season.

from day one thru the end of last season, the capitals have been the best team in the eastern conference except for being 2nd in 08-09. the capitals were expected to compete for a playoff spot in 07-08. noone thought of them as a team capable of the best record in the conference.

i would have replaced boudreau after the last playoff failure purely because of the critical mass of the disappointments. that said, the regular season coaching and results have been remarkable and anything but inevitable.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i love the it was inevitable thing. lets be clear about what actually happened. boudreau took over a last place team at thanksgiving. a last place team at thanksgiving had not and have not since ever made the playoffs. in order to make the playoffs the capitals needed to essentially have the best record in the league for the remainder of the season.

from day one thru the end of last season, the capitals have been the best team in the eastern conference except for being 2nd in 08-09. the capitals were expected to compete for a playoff spot in 07-08. noone thought of them as a team capable of the best record in the conference.

i would have replaced boudreau after the last playoff failure purely because of the critical mass of the disappointments. that said, the regular season coaching and results have been remarkable and anything but inevitable.
A last place team that just happened to have on it's roster 4 world class talents.

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green and Semin.

Three of those players are so good in fact that when all is said and done a last place team that could potentially send three players to THE HALL OF FAME.

Green is probably a long shot, but he is only the best offensive defenseman in THE ENTIRE NHL.
Backstrom isn't a lock either, but will most likely put up HOF numbers.

That's a very very very very rare concentration of elite talent.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:19 PM
txpd

anyone remember the defense and goaltending on that 07-08 team?

Old
11-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Flyersfan139

Did Vokoun really play 41 seconds in this game or is this box score wrong?

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/boxscore.htm?id=2011020267

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Stanley Cup Contender?

You must be joking.
Quote:
You two have completely lost it....close to Halpysback ignore territory.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
As someone one the fence about Bruce, I must say your hate for him is bordering on critical mass. The Caps under Hanlon were not a playoff calibre team. Bruce made them into that going on an amazing tear to make the playoffs.

All you Bruce haters at least give some credit where it's due. If you don't like him fine, at least try to be a little objective.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
A last place team that just happened to have on it's roster 4 world class talents.

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green and Semin.

Three of those players are so good in fact that when all is said and done a last place team that could potentially send three players to THE HALL OF FAME.

Green is probably a long shot, but he is only the best offensive defenseman in THE ENTIRE NHL.
Backstrom isn't a lock either, but will most likely put up HOF numbers.

That's a very very very very rare concentration of elite talent.
There were only two world class talents, Ovy and Semin back then. The others were still developing...poised for the breakout the next year.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:49 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

It was inevitable we made the playoffs. All we had to do was change coaches.

Between a vet goalie, the best player in the world in his prime, along with Semin, Green and Nick so simply moved to his natural position; coupled with half the teams making it in every year.... I think so. Even Ted could eventually pick a coach out of a hat to get an 8th place finish.

Bruce's rate of turn around was very impressive and probably unprecedented, at the top of his resume. Hanlon may have had a say in that. But it bought Bruce a few playoff failures in my book, and most everyone.

Its also proof simply changing coaches to even a minor league coach can turn high end talent teams around overnight. A new voice. Some coaches seem stuck in what they do. Or players simply get burned out on their voice, when the progression plateau's. Coaches dont coach forever. Many things in life are inevitable.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 11-19-2011 at 12:56 PM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:59 PM
IafrateOvie34

Depends of what the definition of Stanley Cup contention means. To me, the Caps have been Contenders during most of the 80s, 90s, and half of the 2000 decade. I say this because when a team makes the playoffs, anything can happen. Look at 1991 Minnesota North Stars and 2003 Anaheim Ducks. Other than working for a playoff spot, the regular season means nothing other than satisfying our hockey fix. Of course this is my opinion.

Now as far as flopping in the playoffs, the Caps are certainly in that category. I think this is why so many old Caps fans are so eager to win a Stanley Cup, including myself. Gets old seeing teams win the ultimate prize, especially teams like Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Anaheim.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:06 PM
TRASHCAT

Contender? Lets see there are 4 rounds in the playoffs and bruce has at his best gotten to the second. Three years ago he had 7 wins in the playoffs, i.e. not even halfway there. And the team has regressed since then.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote