HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nhl, Union In Minor Agreement

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2004, 08:34 AM
NYR469

vCash: 500
Nhl, Union In Minor Agreement

Quote:
TORONTO A tacit agreement between the NHL and NHLPA that will allow a small group of players to effectively circumvent pre-lockout waiver requirements means that Rangers such as Jed Ortmeyer, Jason LaBarbera, Blair Betts and perhaps Jamie Lundmark will open the season in Hartford under AHL contracts, The Post has learned.

Those aforementioned players ordinarily would have been required to clear waivers in order to play in the AHL during the lockout that will be announced by Gary Bettman following an NHL Board of Governors meeting tomorrow in Manhattan. But with the knowledge and approval of both the league office and the union Ortmeyer, LaBarbera and Betts are among players in similar situations around the league to have already agreed to AHL contracts under which they will receive their previously-agreed upon, two-way, minor-league salaries. Because the players are under NHL contracts, these AHL contracts cannot be signed or registered until after the lockout goes into effect on Thursday.

While Ortmeyer, LaBarbera and Blair have already agreed to these deals, Lundmark is still considering his options. Agent Gerry Johannson told The Post yesterday that the 23-year-old pivot, who suffered an MCL sprain that limited him to 56 games last year in which he played quite sparingly, may play in Europe or Hartford during the lockout if he plays at all. We're told that Lundmark who earned $1.025M last year but would play for his minor-league salary of $35,000 if he suits up for the Wolf Pack is seeking a clause in his Wolf Pack contract under which his NHL contract would be guaranteed if he were to sustain an injury playing for Hartford.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/28530.htm

Old
09-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Fletch

What a tease, eh?

for a second I had hope. It just makes me laugh, however, when I see the players propose an agreement, and the next move the NHL makes is to set a date to meet with the Board of Governors to authorize the lockout. This shouldn't at all be a surprise. Hockey can't gain popularity and there's no leadership from the top, and no desire to avert a lockout by either side.

Old
09-14-2004, 05:11 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
may play in Europe or Hartford during the lockout if he plays at all.
Without looking into this too much....I wouldn't have much of a problem with Lundmark playing in Europe rather then Hartford, although I'd rather he be in Hartford under Ranger control. What I wouldn't understand is if he decided not to play at all. Would there be any obvious reason for this? I think it would be the wrong message to send to everyone, including Rangers management, if he just sat back and didn't try to improve himself by getting into some game action.

Old
09-14-2004, 05:33 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
Without looking into this too much....I wouldn't have much of a problem with Lundmark playing in Europe rather then Hartford, although I'd rather he be in Hartford under Ranger control. What I wouldn't understand is if he decided not to play at all. Would there be any obvious reason for this? I think it would be the wrong message to send to everyone, including Rangers management, if he just sat back and didn't try to improve himself by getting into some game action.
no doubt not playing at all would be the worst option by far...

playing in hartford would be by far the best option because while the euro leagues might be better he wouldn't be a top line guy there, whereas in hartford he'd be on the top line and he'd be playing with all his future teammates...

Old
09-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Fletch

It's not in Jamie's best interest to not play at all...

the kid's recovered from a knee injury to end last season and hie production was horrific. I'd rather see him in Hartford, though, playing with guys that may be part of the future. He may eventually get his million. Of course his agent sees it different, in case of injury, which could see Jamie sitting at home, on his couch, watching figure skating.

Closed Thread