HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Who will be the starting goalie next year?

Old
11-20-2011, 12:40 PM
The Right Price

vCash: 500
Why not Neuvirth?

Or is he not developing as expected? I always thought and still do think he is a better keeper than Varlamov. Better glove, better positioning.

Will Neuvirth get the opportunity to challenge Vokoun for 1st keeper duties?

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Next year it'll be Neuvirth but Holtby could take over.
Neuvirth is a good goalie, so is Holtby.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Kloparren
Hth

How confident/unconfident are you guys that Vokoun would be re-signed? He'd probably have to take another bargain salary if he is re-signed or do you think he'll go elsewhere for $4 M+?

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
How confident/unconfident are you guys that Vokoun would be re-signed? He'd probably have to take another bargain salary if he is re-signed or do you think he'll go elsewhere for $4 M+?

He probably won't.
Like i said, Neuvy/Holtby.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:34 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
That's really hard to say at this point. His play is an important factor, but resigning Green, resigning/trading Semin and Kuznetsov's transition have huge implications on what money is there. I don't think it is super crazy for Vokoun to have a good year, but the Caps don't try resigning him.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Hutzler

Why wouldn't the Caps resign Vokoun?

Hutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutzler View Post
He'll probably be looking for a retirement contract. He'll probably be able to command 3 to 4 times what he's making now. The Caps may not want to spend that on him.

Lots of unknowns about what direction the team might want to go, how they'll want to allocate their money, etc.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:38 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by willch878 View Post
Neuvirth is the kind of goalie who will make the first save but nothing spectacular.

Last edited by txpd: 11-22-2011 at 01:44 PM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:08 PM
TRASHCAT

Youtube evidence always the best kind of evidence. Ask pens fans when it comes to ovechkin being dirty.

Nuevy is average at best.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutzler View Post
its pretty much impossible to say at this point for so many reasons. me personally, as far as im concerned he can have whatever the hell he wants if he helps deliver the cup to DC. if the caps dont make it but he plays well (i.e. .920+ in the playoffs supported by good play to the eye), and he still wants to take less to play for a contender and thinks the caps are such, its a no-brainer. if hes meh and wants to bank...adios.

ask the question in late may and im sure youll get a bold answer from everyone here. hopefully a positive one, not "dont let the door hit ya"

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:23 PM
bonzaibondra12

I have more evidence of Theo being a great goalie on youtube than Neuvy.

Neuvy lets untimely goals in. Tends to let in back to backs. And he has been rather bad this year.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:42 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Vokoun has been Luongo so far. Neuvirth has been slightly above average.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 06:16 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Holtby is not doing good.... well that sucks ass. Some suggested that getting Vokoun, that it would be good for Holtby to be in Hershey another year anyways. I have never understood those assumptions. Looking at his development, he showed me and Canada he was ready for a bigger challenge, heck even time in the playoffs.

It must have been tough seeing George telling the media he made it to the NHL, only to hear we landed Tvo. Imagine how you would feel if you graduated college, got hired but then your boss... changed his mind. Sent you back for another year of training, smugly being told it will be good for you. That's a laugh. Talk about mixed emotions, and confidence levels.

Hershey is nice but when the train ride ends, its gets old just buying candy.
I have season tickets for the blades and saw Holtby tones and let me tell you the WHL was a big enough challenge for him. I could put on a pair of pads and still grind out a couple of wins with the caps. Lol. It's tough to tell how good a goalie really is when the play for the caps. They either play so defensive that their goalie doesn't have to do anything or god awful where know tender in the world could keep the puck out of the net.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 06:20 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Vokoun has been Luongo so far. Neuvirth has been slightly above average.
Neuvirth has been AWFUL. There's no debating it because it's the truth. The caps once great future goalie carosel is drying up fast. Varly gone, Neuvirth stinks, and Holtby is struggling in the AHL. Not good.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Neuvirth is a perfect backup, kind of like Johnson was for Kolzig. However, as a starter, he's a below average, and not to mention injury prone.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:57 AM
txpd

nuevirth is NOT the perfect backup. nuevirth gets on a roll when playing regularly which is why some of his best work as a professional has come in the playoffs. he looks really rusty playing once every two weeks.

the perfect backup is hedberg or johnson. a veteran who's game can handle extended periods of inactivity. nuevirth would be better if he were able to play regularly in hershey, but thats not doable.

as for the future. i think its totally up in the air.

vokoun could stay, but would have to want to enough to make the contract and salary cap work. nuevirth showed last season that he be a quality #1 in the regular season and his playoff resume is strong. holtby has proven that he can be dominant, but right now 2.78 and .888sv% at hershey is not a confidence builder.

its fair to say that it could be any of the three with not entirely impossible scenario where its none of the three. if i had to put money on it, the safe bet is neuvirth, but thats only the safe bet

Old
11-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
nuevirth is NOT the perfect backup. nuevirth gets on a roll when playing regularly which is why some of his best work as a professional has come in the playoffs. he looks really rusty playing once every two weeks.

the perfect backup is hedberg or johnson. a veteran who's game can handle extended periods of inactivity. nuevirth would be better if he were able to play regularly in hershey, but thats not doable.

as for the future. i think its totally up in the air.

vokoun could stay, but would have to want to enough to make the contract and salary cap work. nuevirth showed last season that he be a quality #1 in the regular season and his playoff resume is strong. holtby has proven that he can be dominant, but right now 2.78 and .888sv% at hershey is not a confidence builder.

its fair to say that it could be any of the three with not entirely impossible scenario where its none of the three. if i had to put money on it, the safe bet is neuvirth, but thats only the safe bet
This last part I agree with. The way he's been playing, Vokoun is not worth 5 mil a year, especially when we have Neuvirth. Anyway, Vokoun will be judged based on his playoff performance, so it's too early to tell.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Hutzler

The more Neuvirth plays the more I think I should try and get rid of him in my keeper pool. What is the deal with this guy?

Old
11-26-2011, 07:58 AM
txpd

neuvirth is a backup goalie on a struggling team. he is a young goalie that is not suited as a backup goalie anyway. i wouldnt have him on my fantasy team unless vokoun gets injured and neuvirth is playing 3 out of 4 games.

Old
11-26-2011, 08:40 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Neuvirth's game has always been one of momentum. Give him 2 games in a row and he might be decent. Give him 4 and he'll start to look great.

Vokoun is probably going to be the superior option most nights, so they either have to get Neuvirth to become a better spot starter as the season goes on, or just grin and bear it for the time being.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Hutzler

Anybody know if Hunter has voiced any opinions on the goalie situation in Washington?

Old
11-30-2011, 04:33 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

AFAIK he hasn't but I haven't watched all the videos. My bet is he rides Vokoun, at least enough to where Neuvirth's opportunities are spotty enough that he doesn't get in a rhythm. But who knows, he could give Neuvirth a third of the games. Vokoun is still the 1 though if that's what you're asking.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Hutzler

It was nice to see Neuvirth play well tonight. I am hoping that Hunter was impressed and might give the kid 2 in row.