HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Will NHL players in the AHL have a negative effect longterm to the AHL

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2004, 12:19 PM
RealFalconsSupporter

vCash: 500
Will NHL players in the AHL have a negative effect longterm to the AHL

Maybe just my opinion but I think initially NHL players playing in the AHL this year because of a lockout will bring some fan interest to AHL cities but looking ahead I see this causing problems once the CBA is settled and players leave mid-season. Fans that will enjoy NHL players while their at the AHL level may lose interest once their gone. Teams that have 3, 4 or even a half dozen NHL players in the AHL lineup that all of a sudden disappear when things get settled would be unfair to ticket buying fans. AHL fans endure enough during a regular year of watching their favourite players getting called up let alone one like the 2004-05 appears to be destined towards. My own feelings are that I would rather see NHL teams lock 2 way players out even from the AHL and allow fans to watch their favourite players-teams for an entire season for a change. Opinions?

Old
09-13-2004, 03:38 PM
a89mogilny89

Send a message via ICQ to a89mogilny89 Send a message via AIM to a89mogilny89 Send a message via MSN to a89mogilny89 Send a message via Yahoo to a89mogilny89
I'll agree with that statement.

Old
09-13-2004, 08:54 PM
NYR469

first off, ahl fans might not want to hear this but ahl clubs exist to produce players for their nhl affliates end of story...and therefore what the nhl clubs need takes priority...

with that said, with maybe a few rare exceptions the guys that are going to be returned to the AHL will be young players who either skipped the AHL and went right to the NHL or guys ready to leave the AHL for the NHL...

now you are telling me that the AHL would be more entertaining with career minor leagues than guys like vanek, parise, nash, bouwmeester, tyutin, balej, blackburn, lehtonen, staal, etc???

to me those guys returning makes those clubs much better talent-wise and greatly increase the entertainment value...so the ahl gets a boost in play during the lockout and after the lockout those guys return to the nhl and the ahl goes back to normal...no long term negative effect at all (other then maybe drop off when those guys leave)

Old
09-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Serena587

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
first off, ahl fans might not want to hear this but ahl clubs exist to produce players for their nhl affliates end of story...and therefore what the nhl clubs need takes priority...

with that said, with maybe a few rare exceptions the guys that are going to be returned to the AHL will be young players who either skipped the AHL and went right to the NHL or guys ready to leave the AHL for the NHL...

now you are telling me that the AHL would be more entertaining with career minor leagues than guys like vanek, parise, nash, bouwmeester, tyutin, balej, blackburn, lehtonen, staal, etc???

to me those guys returning makes those clubs much better talent-wise and greatly increase the entertainment value...so the ahl gets a boost in play during the lockout and after the lockout those guys return to the nhl and the ahl goes back to normal...no long term negative effect at all (other then maybe drop off when those guys leave)
I agree 100%. I love my Barons more than anything, but they're only here till the Sharks need them in SJ. That's just how it's going to work. I think we should be happy to get a more exciting, higher caliber product for however long that lasts. In the long run, I think it will actually help the A. A rise in attendence, even if it's only for a little while, will boost the revenue and numbers on paper and may help out some of the teams that are struggling. It's not like we don't get our favorite players taken away from us regularly, anyway....heck we might even end up getting to see them LONGER than we would if the season went forward as usual. Just my 2 cents.

Old
09-14-2004, 11:36 AM
RealFalconsSupporter

The problem is when these NHL players leave at mid-season the level of play will certainly drop off and fans that paid to support their teams all year will have a huge let down that may or will discourage fans from returning. Some teams could drop from 1st to last or visa versa depending on how many players are sent down. I say the owners should lock out as many players a legally possible and make them suffer so this dispute gets settled much faster.

Old
09-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Serena587

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFalconsSupporter
The problem is when these NHL players leave at mid-season the level of play will certainly drop off and fans that paid to support their teams all year will have a huge let down that may or will discourage fans from returning. Some teams could drop from 1st to last or visa versa depending on how many players are sent down. I say the owners should lock out as many players a legally possible and make them suffer so this dispute gets settled much faster.
Well, I paid for my full season tickets to support my team all season, NO MATTER WHO is on the roster. I understand the point you're trying to make, but I don't think it's going to make that much of a negative difference. I really think it's a major positive for the AHL. Maybe the lockout will go the full season or longer. There's no guarantee, either way.

Old
09-14-2004, 03:54 PM
a89mogilny89

Send a message via ICQ to a89mogilny89 Send a message via AIM to a89mogilny89 Send a message via MSN to a89mogilny89 Send a message via Yahoo to a89mogilny89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFalconsSupporter
I say the owners should lock out as many players a legally possible and make them suffer so this dispute gets settled much faster.
Well, you know that isn't going to happen. I see your point and I bring up something else I'm wondering what everyone thinks of. I've heard people say they shouldn't send anyone down to the A until the lockout is settled. Personally, I think that's ridiculous. Why bother wasting a season of hockey because the bosses cannot figure out a collective-barganing agreement? I applaud Dominik Hasek for trying to play for Binghampton for his (possible) final season of pro hockey.

Old
09-15-2004, 09:45 AM
HockeyGoddess

I think it's great that younger guys (like Patrice Bergeron, Eric Staal, etc.) who played all of last season in the NHL will be able (if they choose) to play in the AHL this year, despite them being under 20 years old. Going back to their junior teams won't help their development, and while going to Europe for a year might not hurt their development, I do think that keeping them within their team's system where they'll be playing with guys they're likely to be playing with in the NHL over the next couple seasons is a good thing for their development at least. They'll be able to refine whatever skills may be a bit on the weak side while playing in a league where the talent level is pretty solid.

Guys who's had a cup of coffee in the NHL but still haven't quite made it out of the AHL on a permanent basis can only benefit from continuing to play. Of course, some of the guys given the opportunity to play in their team's AHL affiliate might not enjoy the pay cut, but *shrug*.

Old
09-15-2004, 09:46 AM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by a89mogilny89
Well, you know that isn't going to happen. I see your point and I bring up something else I'm wondering what everyone thinks of. I've heard people say they shouldn't send anyone down to the A until the lockout is settled. Personally, I think that's ridiculous. Why bother wasting a season of hockey because the bosses cannot figure out a collective-barganing agreement? I applaud Dominik Hasek for trying to play for Binghampton for his (possible) final season of pro hockey.
Apparently, he's going to be playing in the OSHL instead (4-on-4 hockey) with some other NHLers...

Old
09-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Jacob

I don't really have a problem with the likes of Staal, Bergeron or Fleury playing in the AHL, provided they're even elligible. What I do take issue with is guys like Labarbera and Hasek, guys that have nothing left to prove in the AHL and will be taking time away from young prospects Blackburn and Emery, respectively.

Old
09-15-2004, 04:38 PM
bmoak

Blackburn won't be ready to play until Nov/Dec.

Old
09-15-2004, 11:23 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

I see this as a bonus. I will enjoy it while it lasts and when it is done and over with I will still enjoy what the AHL has to offer.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:05 PM
eye

Something tells me that if and when Staal and alike return to the NHL, there will be a huge letdown, attendance will drop drastically after being spoiled watching young stars play and it will take teams a long time to recover. In the meantime the AHL may turn out to be a much better entertainment value than the NHL so go and enjoy while you can. I plan to go to many Moose games this year.

Old
09-20-2004, 02:49 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
Blackburn won't be ready to play until Nov/Dec.
Who gives a ****? My point still stands.

Closed Thread