HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rock and a Hard Place

Old
01-14-2012, 09:36 AM
mactforcoach

vCash: 500
Rock and a Hard Place

I'm just as frustrated with this team right now as most people, last night was the first time in a long time that my wife and I actually got up and walked out of a game with 10 minutes left to play.

That being said I see this club as being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The only way we will be trading for #1 D-man, or a top end goalie, or a true character guy is if we give up our youth. Nobody wants our Horcoffs, Bellangers, ect. Doesn't matter how we ended up with them, or how much they make, that's been beat to death on here.

For whatever reasons top end FA don't want to sign here, I think we can thank Mrs Pronger for starting that mess, so we aren't going to get the missing pieces that way. The only way we are going to build a true contender that has some pride and guts is from within. We need another Doug Weight/Jason Smith type leader on this team, someone that shows he cares and is willing to back it up whatever way he has to.

That guy showed up last night, Sam Gagner. Why he isn't wearing an A instead of Smyth or Hemsky is beyond me. Let's face it Horcoff will hold the C until the end of this season but after that this team should belong to Sam et al the young guns.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Beerfish

You are correct in your assessment that we are caught between a rock and hard place. There is no quick fix and for all our cries for change it would be foolish to trade off young pieces.

Fans don't even expect to be in the hunt right now despite what some may think. We expect to win or look good losing. That is the problem we are not looking good losing.

There are some serious issues on this team that will be the downfall of the rebuild unless the oilers have the balls to make some changes. There is no team dynamic right now so now is the time to change that part of it. It takes guts to admit your wrong so this won't happen but step 1 should be Horcoff getting the C removed and having him be pushed well down the depth chart. Rather than an annoyance he has become an impediment in a number of areas.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
I'm just as frustrated with this team right now as most people, last night was the first time in a long time that my wife and I actually got up and walked out of a game with 10 minutes left to play.

That being said I see this club as being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The only way we will be trading for #1 D-man, or a top end goalie, or a true character guy is if we give up our youth. Nobody wants our Horcoffs, Bellangers, ect. Doesn't matter how we ended up with them, or how much they make, that's been beat to death on here.

For whatever reasons top end FA don't want to sign here, I think we can thank Mrs Pronger for starting that mess, so we aren't going to get the missing pieces that way. The only way we are going to build a true contender that has some pride and guts is from within. We need another Doug Weight/Jason Smith type leader on this team, someone that shows he cares and is willing to back it up whatever way he has to.

That guy showed up last night, Sam Gagner. Why he isn't wearing an A instead of Smyth or Hemsky is beyond me. Let's face it Horcoff will hold the C until the end of this season but after that this team should belong to Sam et al the young guns.
Yes, KLowe's arrogance and mishandling most players that come here has nothing to do with it.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:45 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Yes, KLowe's arrogance and mishandling most players that come here has nothing to do with it.
Most players want what the Oilers can't provide...winning. Yes money is a factor, yes, incompetent management is an issue but in the end, this team simply shows no signs of winning anything in the foreseeable future.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote