1980 Polish Olympic team photo

Old
08-19-2011, 06:37 PM
pavelsredarmy
pavelsredarmy

vCash: 500
1980 Polish Olympic team photo

Can anyone on this board help me?

I'm trying to identify these players pictured in this photo taken of the Poland 1980 Olympic team.

It's the fifth photo down in the article about Polish National player Tadeusz Obloj.

http://dailysport.pl/index.php/2010/...-lowca-bramek/

Your help is greatly appreiciated.

pavel

pavelsredarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:02 AM
f1seb

Hey Pavel, the best I could do for you is to find the roster of that team. I know it's not as good as knowing who the guys in the photo are but it's a start.

Wojtynek Henryk, Lukaszka Paweł, Ujwary Andrzej, Janiszewski Henryk, Gruth Henryk, Janczy Andrzej, Potz Jerzy, Synowiec Ludwik, Marcinczak Marek, Chowaniec Stefan, Jobczyk Wiesław, Obłój Tadeusz, Sikora Dariusz, Kokoszka Leszek, Zabawa Andrzej, Pytel Henryk, Klocek Stanisław, Jachna Leszek, Dziubinski Bogdan, Małysiak Andrzej

I'll keep digging and see what else I can find on that photo for you.

f1seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:53 PM
pavelsredarmy
pavelsredarmy

Thanks for info

I know of the roster. I also have many colour/BW in-action shots of the Polish team during the 1980 Olympics.

The Canadian government keeps an extensive public digital photo archive online of all national Olympic athletes and teams. There are many shots of Team Canada 1980 versus the Poles at Lake Placid. I've also hit the Associated Press photo archive as well.

If interested, you can see some of the games archived on Youtube, posted generously by member dim75dim....

I've also seen the final statistics/results of the 1980 Lake Placid games. You can access it through the American Olympic Legacy website in their digital archives. You can also reference almost all of the other Olympic results there as well.

I play a computer hockey strategy game called Strat-O-Matic (based out of New York) and one of their roster additions they sell is the 1980 Olympic hockey tourney.

I thought it would be great to identify ALL of those players. I was 8 when the Americans rocked the hockey world.

thanks again,

pavel

Old
03-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Cp2112

Thanks for the information Pawel. Would love to have copies of any of the pictures from the US Poland game at Lake Placid. Went there few years back and the recall the Olympic museum there had some Polish hockey gear. Best,
Cezary Paluch
Toronto, Ontario

Cp2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:14 PM
pavelsredarmy
pavelsredarmy

more 1980 Poles info

Unfortunately the Poles never played the US in 1980.

Poland was in the Red Division with Canada, USSR, Finland, Netherlands and Japan.

W Poland 5-4 Finland
L Poland 1-5 Canada
L Poland 1-8 USSR
L Poland 3-5 Netherlands
W Poland 5-1 Japan

For Polish ice hockey photos online go to:

www.apimages.com - photo archive - "1980 Winter Olympics"

The only way the Poles and the US could have ever met is if Poland finished top three in their division. Poland finished fourth with 4 points, 2 (one less win) behind Canada.

Third place Canada went to play against the Blue Division/third place Czechs in a consolation round to determine fifth place in the tourney.

The top two finishers in each division earned places in the Final round.

US
Sweden
USSR
Finland

And the rest is history...

pavel

Old
05-29-2012, 08:58 PM
TatraSmichov

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelsredarmy View Post
Can anyone on this board help me?

I'm trying to identify these players pictured in this photo taken of the Poland 1980 Olympic team.
I'm coming in a bit late, but can identify at least a few of the players if help is still needed. Left to right:

Jerzy Potz
unknown
Wieslaw Jobczyk
unknown
unknown
unknown (Andrzej Ujwary?)
Andrzej Zabawa
Henryk Pytel
Tadeusz Oblój

TatraSmichov is offline   Reply With Quote