HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to the 09-10 team?

Old
11-17-2011, 05:18 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
What happened to the 09-10 team?

Hi all, new here. I was just thinking recently about that 09-10 team, the only Rangers team post-lockout that missed the playoffs. I have a hard time remembering, but wasn't it basically the same team as the 08-09 team that made the playoffs and gave Washington a run for their money in the first round? Except we replaced Gomez with a 42 (?) goal scorer in Gaborik. That team also started off hot at 7-1. Why couldn't they keep that momentum throughout the season? Why was a team that was better on paper than the team that almost beat the Capitals in the first round the year before not in the playoffs?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:27 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

That team had no secondary scoring. It was all Gaborik.

Lots of deadweights too. Higgins, Rozsival, Brashear, Drury....

I don't remember clearly but the 7-1 start probably had a lot to do with Gaborik being great and Lundqvist.
I do remember Del Zotto with the stretch passes to spring Gaborik.
And then the league caught up and it was downhill from there.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Well, we lost Zherdev, Drury declined, the defense, aside from Staal, was horrendous, and I remember Lundqvist rather up and down, too.

11-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

After 08-09, this team needed to move in a new direction. We had a roster with not a lot of promise, no top scoring, and Wade Redden's contract weighing things down.

Even though we missed the playoffs the following year (by one loss) We had a better goals for/against ratio, and were relatively improved. We also were in a better position to improve the club. When I posted a thread after missing in 09-10 about how the team was in better shape than it was the same time the season before, not a lot of people agreed. But in the long term it really seems that it has improved.

11-17-2011, 05:55 PM
SnowblindNYR

Oh, forgot Zherdev. I think that 08-09 team was the least talented team post lockout. I still can't believe they came a 2 goals away from getting past the Caps in the first round. That team had no stars on offense.

Old
11-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Oh, forgot Zherdev. I think that 08-09 team was the least talented team post lockout. I still can't believe they came a 2 goals away from getting past the Caps in the first round. That team had no stars on offense.
The only thing to be said for that team was that we have 3 very solid defensive pairs.

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-Redden
Mara-Morris

That, in my eyes, what what protracted our fight with Washington

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:04 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
The only thing to be said for that team was that we have 3 very solid defensive pairs.

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-Redden
Mara-Morris

Yucky.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Yucky.
I thought Redden played very well in that series, actually - that pair as a whole, really - but my memory is rather foggy. That was, essentially, my first year as a 'legitimate' Ranger fan.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:11 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-Redden
Mara-Morris

I think right now, even w/o Staal we have better D talent.

Old
11-17-2011, 06:22 PM
jniklast

Don't forget Naslund. The scoring was a lot deeper in 09-10 than a year later.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:24 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I thought Redden played very well in that series, actually - that pair as a whole, really - but my memory is rather foggy. That was, essentially, my first year as a 'legitimate' Ranger fan.
No I agree. For as bad as Redden was in his tenure here, and as much crap as Rozy got, I thought that pair played pretty well in that series.

Though at the end of the day, the only reason we sniffed a game 7 was Hank. He played absolutely lights out.

EDIT - for the record my memory was also pretty foggy. That was the near-end of my Senior year in college.

11-17-2011, 06:41 PM
OverTheCap

Rozy and Redden was our best pairing in 09 against the Caps. Staal and Girardi really struggled and had their minutes reduced. The defense that year wasn't great but they were very experienced, which is key during playoff time.

So far as 09-10, there was a lot of turnover that year and throughout the season. Lots of new additions such as Gabby, Prospal, Higgins Kotalik, Brashear, Del Zotto, Anismov, Gilroy, etc. By the trade deadline, Kotalik, Brashear, and Higgins were gone and in came Jokinen, Prust, and Shelley. I remember Dubinsky saying that they didn't really learn how to play like a team and stand up for each other until the last 2 weeks of season. The influx of players coming in and out combined with inexperience and some questionable characters on that team (Kotalik, Brashear, etc.) was a recipe for disaster.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
After 08-09, this team needed to move in a new direction. We had a roster with not a lot of promise, no top scoring, and Wade Redden's contract weighing things down.

Even though we missed the playoffs the following year (by one loss) We had a better goals for/against ratio, and were relatively improved. We also were in a better position to improve the club. When I posted a thread after missing in 09-10 about how the team was in better shape than it was the same time the season before, not a lot of people agreed. But in the long term it really seems that it has improved.
Actually, it wasn't so much a matter of need as it was a matter of natural progression. 2009-10 was the year that you really started to see a lot more youth taking a larger role in the lineup and that was because that youth was ready. 3 of the Rangers top 5 scorers were homegrown (Callahan, Dubinsky, DelZotto). Staal and Girardi's roles expanded even further, effectively relegating Redden to the third pair. We had an interesting rookie in Anisimov. Three young acquisitions saw significant time (Gilroy, Boyle and Lisin). When your team is shallow, like that one, and the team is fairly young, like that one, you're bound to see inconsistency. And that's exactly what we saw. That season was really the first glimpse into what we're seeing now and the first real glimpse into what the Rangers "rebuild" actually looked like.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Rozy and Redden was our best pairing in 09 against the Caps. Staal and Girardi really struggled and had their minutes reduced. The defense that year wasn't great but they were very experienced, which is key during playoff time.

So far as 09-10, there was a lot of turnover that year and throughout the season. Lots of new additions such as Gabby, Prospal, Higgins Kotalik, Brashear, Del Zotto, Anismov, Gilroy, etc. By the trade deadline, Kotalik, Brashear, and Higgins were gone and in came Jokinen, Prust, and Shelley. I remember Dubinsky saying that they didn't really learn how to play like a team and stand up for each other until the last 2 weeks of season. The influx of players coming in and out combined with inexperience and some questionable characters on that team (Kotalik, Brashear, etc.) was a recipe for disaster.
Yep. I believe they took Staal and Girardi off the Ovechkin line after a game or two.

The 09-10 team was definitely more talented than the 08-09 one. Looking at the roster, I have no idea how that team made the playoffs or even got the Caps to 7. The offense was led by Naslund, Drury, and Gomez pretty much. Let that sink in.

11-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

We had a pretty good balanced team. We only had 1 pure skill player which wont get you any were. You need atleast 2..

Kane-Toews
Crosby-Malkin
Datsyuk-Zetterberg

Cant recall others..

Tony D63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:31 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
We had a pretty good balanced team. We only had 1 pure skill player which wont get you any were. You need atleast 2..

Kane-Toews
Crosby-Malkin
Datsyuk-Zetterberg

Cant recall others..
Which team? The 08-09 or 09-10?? Because I'd argue the 08-09 team had no really pure skill players.

Old
11-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yep. I believe they took Staal and Girardi off the Ovechkin line after a game or two.

The 09-10 team was definitely more talented than the 08-09 one. Looking at the roster, I have no idea how that team made the playoffs or even got the Caps to 7. The offense was led by Naslund, Drury, and Gomez pretty much. Let that sink in.
You forgot the team's leading scorer.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
You forgot the team's leading scorer.
**** him.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
That team had no secondary scoring. It was all Gaborik.

Lots of deadweights too. Higgins, Rozsival, Brashear, Drury....

I don't remember clearly but the 7-1 start probably had a lot to do with Gaborik being great and Lundqvist.
I do remember Del Zotto with the stretch passes to spring Gaborik.
And then the league caught up and it was downhill from there.
One of these names does not belong with the others. Rozy was just fine, not dead weight. Higgins couldn't buy a goal when he was in New York.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Higgins has turned from a nice 2nd line scorer with grit to a bottom 6 energy player with grit.

I think when we got him and touted him as a "Callahan 2.0" we were bound for trouble. Of course we did the same thing with Fritsche.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Higgins has turned from a nice 2nd line scorer with grit to a bottom 6 energy player with grit.

I think when we got him and touted him as a "Callahan 2.0" we were bound for trouble. Of course we did the same thing with Fritsche.
What happened to him?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We traded him for a bum 7th defenseman who we later waived, and Fritsche spent the next season in the AHL before going to the Swiss league.

The Dman in question was Eric Reitz, who gave us a grand spanking 11 games at 13 minutes a game.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
We traded him for a bum 7th defenseman who we later waived, and Fritsche spent the next season in the AHL before going to the Swiss league.

The Dman in question was Eric Reitz, who gave us a grand spanking 11 games at 13 minutes a game.
Thanks, but I meant how did Higgins regress so quickly?

Prucha syndrome?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:37 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Thanks, but I meant how did Higgins regress so quickly?

Prucha syndrome?
He just couldn't score, simple as that. Whatever chances he did have he either shot wide or rang it off the post. Shame too cause I thought he did a lot of the little things well and you could tell he was trying, just couldn't bury the puck.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Staals Eye
What me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
He just couldn't score, simple as that. Whatever chances he did have he either shot wide or rang it off the post. Shame too cause I thought he did a lot of the little things well and you could tell he was trying, just couldn't bury the puck.
And then we scared his brother away from this board.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote