HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Finns @ 2012 NHL Entry Draft

Old
01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
croAVSfan*

vCash: 500
I saw that member Krokki said that Rendulic could be a dark-horse of players coming from Finland for this draft.

As much as I would like to Croatia get their first player drafted, I think it is not realistic. REndulic, in order to get drafted, should put some points in SM-liiga as well. Of course, he can have breakout years in age of 21,22 in SM-liiga and then draw attention from NA. But I don't think he is on that level yet.

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
Who do you think gets drafted? Lehtonen and everyone above and Korpisalo (possibly Ullberg) from goalies?
Määttä, Teräväinen, Pokka, Vainonen and Lindell should be drafted, barring a serious injury that is. Naturally it doesn’t require much courage to make a prediction like that at this point, but it’s the one I’m comfortable with at the moment. After these guys it might be a bit of a guessing game. Personally I had higher expectations about Ikonen, but he hasn’t quite lived up to them, so I’m not that sure about his draft status anymore. Tikkinen and Lehtonen are good young defensemen, but could easily be overlooked by many teams due to their size.

I’m not sure if there’s a clear favourite at this point as far as goalies go. It’ll be interesting to see how that situation plays out in the end. Although they weren’t on Central Scouting’s list, I feel that KalPa’s Henri Kiviaho and Lukko’s Oskari Setänen might end up being in the mix alongside Korpisalo, Auren and Ullberg. I’ve liked Kiviaho quite a bit in the two games I’ve seen from him this season and think he has some long term potential. He just needs more time to develop. Setänen looked promising last season, but it’s hard to say how the injury has affected his development. Nevertheless a good start to the season for him with 2 wins in 2 games.

My top-5 is otherwise the same as 2 months ago except Lindell has taken Ikonen’s place at 5th:

1. D - Olli Määttä (London Knights)
2. F - Teuvo Teräväinen (Jokerit)
3. D - Ville Pokka (Kärpät)
4. D - Mikko Vainonen (HIFK)
5. D - Esa Lindell (Jokerit)

For me Teräväinen is still slightly above Pokka and not that far from Määttä. I value Vainonen over Lindell, although it’s close. Vainonen’s defensive reliability, ability to play the body and battle for the puck are on a higher level in comparison to Lindell. Lindell has an edge in offensive ability, but needs to pay attention on how to improve his defensive game.

Here's a little example of Lindell's game in the defensive zone: LINK

In the first clip a Czech forward totally outstrips Lindell one-on-one after a long shift. In the second clip there's a difficult situation where the Swiss have a sudden 2-on-1 after a board play and Lindell ends up being a spectator in front of his own net.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:51 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Here's a little example of Lindell's game in the defensive zone: LINK
Looks like a certain Masto Nordlund in the d-zone...

But the kid is still very raw and in his first season of A-SM hockey so I'll give him some time to round out his overall game. The offensive instincts and skill is there but he still has work to do in his own zone.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:56 AM
MBhockey1

I agree with Tormentor about Vainonen. I like how he has developed this year. He is a very good defenseman; a strong first pass and defensive game. I would like to see him using his good shot more often. I like his potential as a prospect. Vainonen has good leadership qualities, too. I just hope I will have time to see many HIFK teams home games at the end of the season as well.

MBhockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post
I saw that member Krokki said that Rendulic could be a dark-horse of players coming from Finland for this draft.

As much as I would like to Croatia get their first player drafted, I think it is not realistic. REndulic, in order to get drafted, should put some points in SM-liiga as well. Of course, he can have breakout years in age of 21,22 in SM-liiga and then draw attention from NA. But I don't think he is on that level yet.
That is true, but though he has not been productive in SM-liiga he has got size and he's got more marketing value than average because he is from small hockey area.

There have always been some dark horses in the draft (Marko Anttila from Suomi-sarja for example) so I won't count Borna totally out.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Bloodhound
Regular User

Have everybody forgot Rasmus Ristolainen? I know he didnt play so well at WJC, but he is definitely one of the most promising fins in the draft. He is playing great rookie season in SM-liiga, and got potential to be 1st round pick.

Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:11 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsalaFan View Post
Have everybody forgot Rasmus Ristolainen? I know he didnt play so well at WJC, but he is definitely one of the most promising fins in the draft. He is playing great rookie season in SM-liiga, and got potential to be 1st round pick.
You're a year ahead bud, he's 2013 eligible.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsalaFan View Post
Huh, I thought he was terrific. Only few defensive mistakes and solid and poised play with the puck, what more can you ask for from a defenseman really?

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Bloodhound
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
You're a year ahead bud, he's 2013 eligible.
Oh your right. My bad

Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:50 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
Huh, I thought he was terrific. Only few defensive mistakes and solid and poised play with the puck, as a 17-year-old against 18-20 year old guys, and is 6'3 200 and is a very good skater. what more can you ask for from a defenseman really?
Fixed.

And to answer your question, I really don't know. If he were eligible this year he would have to be a 1st rounder already.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

The other end of the spectrum

I see someone has mentioned Ristolainen erroneously here, not realizing he's not eligible until 2013, but I'm considering including a side story when I do my draft preview focusing on players who have already been eligible but were not selected. I know that Teemu Eronen, Joonas Rask, and Jyrki Jokipakka were players who were drafted after passing through the draft without being selected.

The first player I thought of that might have a chance after watching the WJC was Konsta Makinen. Although he is not the ideal size for an NHL defenseman he seemed to do well in the tournament.

Any other 18, 19 or 20 year olds that have not drafted that you feel may deserve attention?

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:17 PM
bebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
Any other 18, 19 or 20 year olds that have not drafted that you feel may deserve attention?
These come first to mind
-Richard Ullberg
-Simo-Pekka Riikola
-Joonas Valkonen

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:28 PM
YARR123

These overagers I think have the best chances of getting drafted:

Joel Mustonen
Miro Aaltonen
Konsta Mäkinen

All of these guys are pretty small, but have some good qualities. Especially Mustonen could be seen as having NHL potential due to his incredible skating and NA style of play. Miro Aaltonen and Konsta Mäkinen are both very small but are speedy and have very good puck skills.

S-P Riikola is a nice defenseman but he didn't really show any certain aspect of the game that really stood out. Pretty good puck movement, skated well for a tall guy, but wasn't always so sure in his own end and is still quite scrawny.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
I see someone has mentioned Ristolainen erroneously here, not realizing he's not eligible until 2013, but I'm considering including a side story when I do my draft preview focusing on players who have already been eligible but were not selected. I know that Teemu Eronen, Joonas Rask, and Jyrki Jokipakka were players who were drafted after passing through the draft without being selected.

The first player I thought of that might have a chance after watching the WJC was Konsta Makinen. Although he is not the ideal size for an NHL defenseman he seemed to do well in the tournament.

Mäkinen would be a big surprise. In 5 previous drafts the over-agers have either been goalies (Frans Tuohimaa, Petteri Similä, Atte Engren), playing regularly in SM-liiga (Iiro Pakarinen, Teemu Eronen, Jyrki Jokipakka, Joonas Rask, Jori Lehterä) or both (Mikko Koskinen). The only exception has been Vili Sopanen.

The following players might at least offer some substance from a journalistic point of view; Richard Ullberg (a new start after some personal trouble), Sami Rajaniemi (the guy that very few talk about), Teemu Rautiainen (as tall as Napoleon, but it’s not stopping him from pursuing his dream), Miro Aaltonen (a strong comeback after a lengthy back injury), Charles Bertrand (Frenchman doing surprisingly well in SM-liiga), Borna Rendulic (Croatian guy far away from home).

Old
01-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Korkki

Kojo might go up the list. He has played better and worked harder from day to another. This weekend there is a A-jun tournament in Pori and there are lots of scouts so if he impresses them he will be drafted. He has huge frame and gives quite hard hits.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
Kojo might go up the list. He has played better and worked harder from day to another. This weekend there is a A-jun tournament in Pori and there are lots of scouts so if he impresses them he will be drafted. He has huge frame and gives quite hard hits.
During the dead puck era Kojo might’ve been a more highly valued prospect due to his nice frame, pretty good physical presence and the ability to clutch on to opponents, but under the “new” rules it’s a lot harder for a defenseman like him to use his best weapons. It has also become increasingly important for a defenseman to have good puck skills and great mobility, and those are the areas that Kojo clearly needs to work on. My guess at the moment is that Kojo won’t be drafted this year. Nonetheless I think he has some potential as a 3rd pairing defenseman, so he might become a late round option next year or a year after that if he shows comprehensive improvement in his game.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Tormentor

Bob McKenzie's Mid-Season Top-40

14. D - Olli Määttä (London Knights)
28. F - Teuvo Teräväinen (Jokerit)
31. D - Ville Pokka (Kärpät)

Old
02-09-2012, 01:52 PM
SittingDuck

wow, we might actually get 3 first rounders this year, although I would be extremely happy with just 1 (which is in my opinion the most realistic case)

SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:57 PM
plaaplaa72

Send a message via MSN to plaaplaa72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SittingDuck View Post
wow, we might actually get 3 first rounders this year, although I would be extremely happy with just 1 (which is in my opinion the most realistic case)
Määttä will go 1st round about 95% surely, Teräväinen will be an early 2nd rounder, and Pokka will be an early-mid 2nd Rounder.

plaaplaa72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:04 AM
thomast

I've stated it before Teräväinen will be IMO highest drafted Finn especially after U-18 WC. His upside is very high and has huge disadvantage at FEL because of his size and uses skill to replace it. This guy is an gem. I expect him to dominate at U-18 against players of his age. 100% first rounder to me. I expect him to go in the 10-20 range. Call me crazy but we'll see at the summer.

1. Teräväinen
2. Määttä
3. Pokka

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Needles

I find it very hard to believe that a team like Detroit wouldn't pick Teräväinen in the first round.

Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:36 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
I think that Määttä, Pokka and Teräväinen will go during first two rounds and the next Finns will be picked in later rounds.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:54 AM
SittingDuck

IMO, 2 finnish 1st rounders is possible, teräväinen has been tearing up the U18 5 country tournament, also leads in points there.

Old
02-16-2012, 05:48 AM
Needles

Jarmo Kekäläinen knows about these things so I trust his judgement:

http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/Kek%C3%A4l%...a1305555707263

Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:13 PM
SittingDuck

as an HPK fan. I would like to know what are the chances of Teemu Rautiainen getting drafted? Or Otto Paajanen? Also Tappara's Otto Räty has played some good games from what i have seen.