HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm #19 Kings @ Ducks, 11/17/11 - POST GAME WIN!, THOUGHTS & TIDBITS {Déjà vu!}

Old
11-18-2011, 10:45 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I still don't get how the Flyers traded Mike. I really don't. The guy is just a cup full of awesome and a side of god damnit I forgot the word.
The dudes been a beast since the OHL. I hope one day we can see this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjCa5T9EsKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Also Terry Murray does not send down or call up players. DEAN LOMBARDI DOES THAT...

I am sure he has input, But HE DOES NOT MAKE THAT CALL.

So stop with that BS..
TM has a lot more than just "input." TM is the guy that has to menege the players in the game, and I'd wager that TM's opinion outweighs DL's if there is any disputes between who to recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
You know, I'm all for developing players the right way, but there comes a point when one player (Voynov) is so much better than another (Drewiske), that you just can't send the former down. He's too good. Voynov has stayed loyal and has done everything the Kings have asked him, and he's making an impact NOW. How can you send a guy like that down over Drewiske? He's too good.
Drewiske is the healthy scratch guy, Voynov isn't, and TM has refused to rotate Drewiske in at all. With the way the bottom six is playing I have no idea why TM doesn't switch to a 7 D-man line up with 11 forwards and double shifts Richards. Having both Voynov and Martinez when he's healthy in the line up can only boost the offense. It's not like guys like Richardson, Lewis, Hunter, Westgarth and Moreau are doing much.

Until that happens though, Voynov is not replacing Drewiske, he's replacing Martinez. A-Mart has looked fine when he's out there as well, so I expect VV to be returned to Manchester whenever A-Mart returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
As far as moving Martinez I think you trade him for draft pick or defense prospect if you can get it.
How are we a better team trading A-Mart for a pick/prospect? We want to do some damage this post-season, so either keep Martinez for depth or trade him in a package to get a better NHL player, preferably upfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Good, fun game to watch tonight.

I really dislike TM and his decisions as the current coach, however you can not question his style when going into the 3rd period with a lead. I don't remember the stats but I don't think the Kings have lost a game leading after 2 in a very long time.
I believe we are 64-0-3 when leading after two periods now. Not sure how we've managed that the way the 3rd periods looked the last two games but I agree, results speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post
Whenever camera shows Voynov's face up close, I see Kovalchuk in Kings jersey for a moment LOL.
Seconded. I had to do a double take the first time I seen him up close, figured I was having a bizarro world dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
The Kings need to add atleast two players for the bottom lines, a 3C capable of playing an all around game and a 3RW who can do the same. The Kings bottom lines are just a disaster.
Not sure I agree, since Stoll and Penner are coming off 20 goal seasons. You have to expect Stoll didn't just lose that overnight, and Penner clearly has the talent to turn it around. I'd rather sit and wait on them to do that before going out to make a move right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Doesn't matter who Dean acquires to fill in for Moreau, Stoll or Penner. Uness they have the skill level of a Gagne, Richards or Kopitar, the won't score 10+ goals from the 3rd line.
Wayne Simmonds are Michal Handzus have the skill of Gagne, Richards or Kopitar? Didn't know that, but the 14 and 12 goals respectively they scored last year on the third line apparently says otherwise.

No one is expecting a lot of goals from the third/4th lines, but they have to muster something. Last year, our third/fourth lines most nights were filled by Simmonds, Handzus, Richardson, Ponikarovsky, Clifford and Lewis. They combined for 48 goals, and that was with Lewis, Poni and Richardson each missing 10 games or more. Westgarth would rotate in where needed as well.

48 goals is a pace of about .585 goals per game from the bottom six forwards. Our current bottom six of Richardson, Clifford, Lewis, Moreau, Stoll and Hunter/Westgarth/Fraser have scored 3 goals, one being Frasers', after 19 games. That's a pace of .158 goals per game, which over an 82 game season works out to be roughly 13 goals. That's a 35 goal difference.

Both sets were under the same coach, same system, so it appears very much to be a talent issue. We need to get these guys either scoring, or make a move to bring the scoring along more at some point.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:47 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Btw, how nice would Cogliano have looked on our 3rd/4th line right now? Kids can create some chances and has speed to burn. I'd take him over Richardson any day.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:57 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Btw, how nice would Cogliano have looked on our 3rd/4th line right now? Kids can create some chances and has speed to burn. I'd take him over Richardson any day.
Neither the third nor the fourth line appear to have any identity. The fourth has picked up more of an energy look since Fraser stepped in, but the third... what are they supposed to be?

But yeah. Cogliano would be swell. And, since we're dreaming, Clutterbuck.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Asheru

Quote:
I know he scored twice, but he has 6 points total on the year, and that's playing with Koivu and Selanne. I've read Oilers blogs over the past couple of years; he's not very good defensively and his faceoff win percentage is in the 40s. I don't think he'd have been an upgrade on the bottom 6.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post

So in order to get Loktionov into the mix, they'd need to restructure the personnel
Absolutely. No one has given one reason why Stoll continues to play the point on the PP. He provides no playmaking, he has an awful shot, he has no scoring touch. Why not stick Williams back on the point like he was a couple of years ago. The worst case scenario is he falls flat on his face, which is what Stoll has been doing for months.

There is no reason Moreau and Stoll are out there over Lokti. But again it gets back to the veteran love, especially two former Oilers.

Wouldn't a #2 PP unit of VV - Williams - Gagne- Lokti- Insert anyone be better than what we saw last night?

Quote:
Not sure I agree, since Stoll and Penner are coming off 20 goal seasons. You have to expect Stoll didn't just lose that overnight, and Penner clearly has the talent to turn it around. I'd rather sit and wait on them to do that before going out to make a move right now.
Stoll did lose it overnight, so did Penner.
These guys are coming off 20 goal seasons where they simply fell apart in the second half and have yet to show any signs of recovery this season. It has been well over a half a season since either guy has done anything.

Another problem with these guy is they are failed second liners, and that doesn't automatically make you quality third liners because third liners are asked to play a different type of game, something Penner and Stoll have not shown they are able to to for this team. Lars mentioned it in a post above, but what is the identity of a Penner-Stoll line, what are these guys supposed to do? They are only out there because they combine to make $8 mill a year and we are stuck with them. I've mentioned this before, it's like when a closer in baseball starts to suck in that role it doesn't mean he will automatically be a good set-up man, it might just mean he sucks, and I think thats the case with #25 and #28, they just suck.

The Kings bottom lines have already taken points off the standings this season and will continue to do so until something is done.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:06 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Loktionov and Voynov do not look like rookies out there, they belong on this squad! Our offense just looks like more faster and create more opportunities with Loktionov and Richardson.

Not to the mention the play of Gagné. Voynov's goal on the PP was because of a beautiful pass by Gagné, this guy is what I was begging for all off-season, knew he'd fit right in and could create something amazing with Kopitar. Great pick up by Lombardi, I know it's still early, but if he can stay healthy, we could really have something here

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Wayne Simmonds are Michal Handzus have the skill of Gagne, Richards or Kopitar? Didn't know that, but the 14 and 12 goals respectively they scored last year on the third line apparently says otherwise.
I agree, I should have said 15+. I've change my other post.

I'm pretty sure most thought they would get 20+ goals last year, Simmonds was thought to have the skill to be a top 6 and is playing in a top 6 role in Philly. 14 and 12 was a disappointing season from those two and part of the reason they are no longer on the Kings. Handzus was making $4 million, which is more than Stoll. I don't think that anyone would argue that Stoll and Moreau have more skill than Handzus and Simmonds. Gettting 7-10 goals from Stoll and 5-10 from Moreau would be a good result from Murray's system. The Kings expect to get more from their second line this season, last year they had 2 third lines. They both spent time being the #2 line, this year Richards is clearly the 2nd line and the 3rd line isn't getting the same opportunties. The Kings are built and play for a top heavy offense.

Frolov's production dropped significantly when his role changed from #2LW to #3 LW, did his skill level drop?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Neither the third nor the fourth line appear to have any identity. The fourth has picked up more of an energy look since Fraser stepped in, but the third... what are they supposed to be?

But yeah. Cogliano would be swell. And, since we're dreaming, Clutterbuck.
Isn't that the coach's fault? How can you blame the players for their linemates or role they are asked to play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Loktionov and Voynov do not look like rookies out there, they belong on this squad! Our offense just looks like more faster and create more opportunities with Loktionov and Richardson.

Not to the mention the play of Gagné. Voynov's goal on the PP was because of a beautiful pass by Gagné, this guy is what I was begging for all off-season, knew he'd fit right in and could create something amazing with Kopitar. Great pick up by Lombardi, I know it's still early, but if he can stay healthy, we could really have something here
It was a great pass, but Voynov jumped up at the right time. How often do we see Johnson and especially Doughty just stand at the blue line instead of jumping back door? Johnson has improved some this season, but Doughty continues to just blast pucks into shin guards. A nice wrist shot would be better. Stoll does the same thing, he had a nice turnover at the blue line and instead of wristing the puck at the net, he winds up for a slap shot and gets it deflected out of play, if the coach wasn't happy with all of the blocked slap shots, wouldn't he correct that? Instead we here that they need to focus more on getting shots through. I would like see him have a no slap shot from the blue line policy. You have to be at the top of the circles or below to take a slap shot. Wristers from the point do more damage, especially on the PP.

Last edited by Sydor25: 11-18-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old
11-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
A Duck fan at work
I am laughing at him not
With him this morning.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:32 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
I know he scored twice, but he has 6 points total on the year, and that's playing with Koivu and Selanne. I've read Oilers blogs over the past couple of years; he's not very good defensively and his faceoff win percentage is in the 40s. I don't think he'd have been an upgrade on the bottom 6.
The guy gets 4 minutes a game less than Teemu and Saku, roughly three minutes per game of which is the powerplay. Cogs also takes a regular PK shift, averaging 1:22 a game on the penalty kill. Btw, he only has one less point than Selanne this year, so he's holding his own.

I also wouldn't have him as a centre, I'd use him on teh wing where his speed would be better to generate a forecheck.

Watching Cogs play with the Oilers, which I'd rather than just reading blogs, Cogs was a great third liner in Edmonton and capable of generating 35ish points per season while being quite reliable defensively. Considering what we are throwing out there most nights, I fail to understand how he's not an upgrade on what we have. He has more goals than our entire bottom six combined.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Great game! It's funny, despite our insane record after leading going into the 3rd period, I still get nervous. I guess that's 21 years of being a Kings fan sneaking up on me. Remember when they couldn't hold a lead in the 3rd if their lives depended on it? Good times.

Quick had a good game, even though he gave up 3 which is nice to see. Has anyone noticed, since his shut out streak, when he gives up a goal, he usually complains about something to the refs? It's so weird. I don't know if it's just his determination this year, or what. The last handful of games, every goal, he seems to have something to ***** and complain about. On the Ducks 1st (I think) goal, he complained that they were in his way, when really he just needs to protect his space and his blue paint. Just a little something I noticed lately.

I love Voynov and Lokti, but I think some of you are overlooking their defensive game due to their offensive game. Voynov wasn't very good defensively last night and there were a lot of plays where Mitchell saved his ass. He was caught chasing and on one of the Ducks goals, he gave his guy (Selanne?) too much room. Lokti had a few giveaways where he was trying to be too cute (it's nice to see creativity, but I can remember 2 plays where he was doing this and the Ducks almost scored from the takeaway), and our second line was caught running around a lot in the defensive zone. I don't blame that all on Lokti, but he wasn't helping the situation.

Overall, a great game. I'm just nitpicking at this point. I LOVE Richards. Last night my husband said, "I might just have to get a Richards jersey". LOL

I sure hope Bernier gets into a game next week. He needs to play more to get better and if Quick goes down, we're screwed. Also, to the people saying that he'll (Quick) get enough rest in the next few days, the games add up. You can't look at it at some point week by week, but overall. This is what happened the year Ersberg was the back up with Quick. All of the sudden, the games piled up. Bernier is more than capable of starting. At this point, if you aren't going to give Bernier a chance with the Kings, you need to play him so you get the most out of him in a trade. He needs to prove that he's more than potential, that's he's a good goalie in this league.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:37 AM
null33

Quote:
Isn't that the coach's fault? How can you blame the players for their linemates?
I'm not blaming anybody. You gotta play the hand yer dealt, even hands that were dealt two, three off seasons ago, in different contexts, with different priorities to balance.

Coaches and players will have to figure out what that third line is supposed to be. Is it a 2a? Does it cycle and play defense like the old Handzus+Kid+Big Russian line used to? Dunno. They'll figure it out, eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
Absolutely. No one has given one reason why Stoll continues to play the point on the PP. He provides no playmaking, he has an awful shot, he has no scoring touch. Why not stick Williams back on the point like he was a couple of years ago. The worst case scenario is he falls flat on his face, which is what Stoll has been doing for months.

There is no reason Moreau and Stoll are out there over Lokti. But again it gets back to the veteran love, especially two former Oilers.

Wouldn't a #2 PP unit of VV - Williams - Gagne- Lokti- Insert anyone be better than what we saw last night?
Stoll is on the point because he's a better option than anyone else. Maybe Mitchell, but now you're giving up Stoll's faceoffs and adding more minutes to Mitchell's load. Williams, given the risky plays Williams tends to make and his lackluster top end speed... yikes.

Maybe you move Richards from the first unit -- but why bust that up?

The least disruptive option is to add Loktionov in place of Moreau/Hunter and ask Williams or Gagne to go to the net. But that's still pretty disruptive.

As for the charge of veteran love -- 1) Why would Murray have any special connection to the Oil? If anything, he'd show more love to ex-Flyers. (Maybe that's why Handzus got so many minutes. ); 2) One has to cherry pick pretty strenuously to make the veteran charge stick. Murray has given lots of young players plenty of responsibility over the years, most recently to Loktionov and Voynov.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:40 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

Stoll did lose it overnight, so did Penner.
These guys are coming off 20 goal seasons where they simply fell apart in the second half and have yet to show any signs of recovery this season. It has been well over a half a season since either guy has done anything.

Another problem with these guy is they are failed second liners, and that doesn't automatically make you quality third liners because third liners are asked to play a different type of game, something Penner and Stoll have not shown they are able to to for this team.
Sorry, don't agree.

While yes, they have to play a different style of game, there is no excuse for the low numbers Penner and Stoll have produced. That said, I don't think you just lose it overnight, not when you are in your prime years, which both Stoll and Penner are.

Stoll also can play a 3rd line role and has done so in the past, quite successfully as well. Penner I don't think is very well suited to the second line, but the fact he's out there 13 minutes a night or so should still provide him the time to generate some sort of offense, regardless of who is out there.

Like I said in an earlier post, our bottom two lines have combined for 3 goals in 19 games, or a pace of about 13 for the season. This is compared to 48 last year. This isn't just Stoll and Penner, this is everyone. Clifford has looked like a mess compared to last year, Richardson and Lewis had 32 points last year combined, this year they might reach 10 at the pace they are going. No one is doing anything on those lines. It might be the personal, but it also might the coaching, because something has changed. The guys we have on the 3rd and 4th lines have four players who have scored at least 20 goals in a season in their careers, two of which did it just last year. To go from that to just 3 goals between six players speaks to a much bigger problem then "losing it overnight" and a "lack of identity."

Old
11-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
The dudes been a beast since the OHL. I hope one day we can see this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjCa5T9EsKE
LOL that is ****ing awesome!

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:44 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Frolov's production dropped significantly when his role changed from #2LW to #3 LW, did his skill level drop?
Maybe, considering what he did when he reached New York

Old
11-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
The guy gets 4 minutes a game less than Teemu and Saku, roughly three minutes per game of which is the powerplay. Cogs also takes a regular PK shift, averaging 1:22 a game on the penalty kill. Btw, he only has one less point than Selanne this year, so he's holding his own.

I also wouldn't have him as a centre, I'd use him on teh wing where his speed would be better to generate a forecheck.

Watching Cogs play with the Oilers, which I'd rather than just reading blogs, Cogs was a great third liner in Edmonton and capable of generating 35ish points per season while being quite reliable defensively. Considering what we are throwing out there most nights, I fail to understand how he's not an upgrade on what we have. He has more goals than our entire bottom six combined.
Cogs is a solid all around hockey player, he is not going to mistaken for a Selke candidate but he is above average defensively and is one of the best skaters in the NHL. He is frustrating because much like Brown his hands are often times behind his feet, but he would be a quality 3rd line LW for the Kings who could fill in on a 2nd line in a pinch like what he is doing now.

I assume this is the kind of guy the Kings will look to add. In addition to a good 3rd line center.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Maybe, considering what he did when he reached New York
New York plays very similar to LA. And with the media spotlight? Frolov was doomed as soon as he signed the contract. But, yeah, it's much simpler to believe that his skill just disappeared. Just like Jagr when he went to the KHL.

Another interesting fact, Richardson leads all NHL forwards with 30 shots and zero goals. Guess who is number 2:

Jeff Carter with 29 shots and zero goals (in 9 fewer games).

Old
11-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Mike Richards, it' sthe only way he knows how to play . He's got insane ice intelligence, his hockey IQ is off the charts...
Seriously. So many examples, but one was that empty netter. Yeah everyone knew to shoot since the goalie was pulled + on the PK so no icing. But Richards had to let that one go pretty quick. It was actually a pretty slick move to steal it and get it on net. He was looking for that before the puck dropped. Can't imagine many other guys on the team pulling that off.

re Voynov: I don't care who he's playing with, the kid has undeniable talent. Heads above the other rookie/young defensemen. And I don't buy this whole "he can't play D" BS. He plays D just fine at the NHL level. The thing with him, when he has no outlet on the breakout, I don't have to worry about him making a stupid pass. He'll just hold on until he gets help or make a creative play to get the puck up ice. This is awesome.

re Loktionov: He had maybe one defensive lapse, but he also made lots of good defensive plays. I also don't buy this whole he's a defensivel liability and too weak BS. He's clearly stronger. And the whole injury thing are you people kidding me? Penner and Parse are hurt. People get hurt in hockey. Just a bunch more excuses.

The question you need to ask is: Who would you rather have there Parse, Penner (even though I'm still a supporter of him), Lokti? I think Lokti shows the most potential. He and Richards are also starting to get reads on eachother. Both super smart. Brown complements them really well too.

*BTW, anyone else notice Lokti/Richards sort of switching off/backing eachother up in the center role? I am no psychic but I imagine that was also MR's hockey sense kicking in. Probably told Lokti if he ends up there, stay with it and switch back later. I think they will be switching midplay more often.

I assume DL will be having a busy Thanksgiving week.

Last edited by Kingurentai: 11-18-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Like I said in an earlier post, our bottom two lines have combined for 3 goals in 19 games, or a pace of about 13 for the season. This is compared to 48 last year. This isn't just Stoll and Penner, this is everyone. Clifford has looked like a mess compared to last year, Richardson and Lewis had 32 points last year combined, this year they might reach 10 at the pace they are going. No one is doing anything on those lines. It might be the personal, but it also might the coaching, because something has changed. The guys we have on the 3rd and 4th lines have four players who have scored at least 20 goals in a season in their careers, two of which did it just last year. To go from that to just 3 goals between six players speaks to a much bigger problem then "losing it overnight" and a "lack of identity."
People are forgetting that the Kings didn't have a true second line last year. All those opportunities that were split between Stoll and Handzus' lines last season are now given exclusively to the Richards line. Now that Richards is getting going (5 goals in 5 games), I hope that we will see a different Penner when he returns. Brown still needs to up his finishing, but he's a streaky player. He is the definition of a Murray winger, he relies on bounces to get his goals in bunches. His first 2 goals were actually scored after he muffed the initial chance and then poked in the rebound.

Old
11-18-2011, 12:27 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
New York plays very similar to LA. And with the media spotlight? Frolov was doomed as soon as he signed the contract. But, yeah, it's much simpler to believe that his skill just disappeared. Just like Jagr when he went to the KHL.
I'm not saying it did disappear, as I didn't watch him in NY. But you can't deny the fact his numbers went in the toilet when he played there. And if he was doomed when he signed the contract, why would he sign it? He needs to understand his own personality and if playing in the spotlight meant a tough season, then he shouldn't have went there. If he was doomed, it was his own fault.

Old
11-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
The question you need to ask is: Who would you rather have there Parse, Penner (even though I'm still a supporter of him), Lokti? I think Lokti shows the most potential. He and Richards are also starting to get reads on eachother. Both super smart. Brown complements them really well too.
Between those 3, Penner. He's a natural winger with 20+ NHL goal talent. Loktionov is young potential and great to have as a call up. He's exactly the kind of depth that Lombardi talks about all of the time. You want your prospects pushing to get into the lineup, but he's not there yet to push Penner off the roster.

Old
11-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
I'm not saying it did disappear, as I didn't watch him in NY. But you can't deny the fact his numbers went in the toilet when he played there. And if he was doomed when he signed the contract, why would he sign it? He needs to understand his own personality and if playing in the spotlight meant a tough season, then he shouldn't have went there. If he was doomed, it was his own fault.
Well, didn't his agent blame the Kings for his downfall. Didn't he say they sabotaged him? Maybe NY was the only NHL team to make an offer.

Frolov fills a very good niche and he performs it well. Asking him to play "heavy" and still score goals wasn't going to work.

It would be like asking Cammy to play a "board-to-dot" style and expect 30 goals from him.

I'm not saying the players don't have the majority of the blame for poor performance, they are the ones on the ice. I just think that the coach has more of an influence on results than some. Some think the coach isn't really needed and almost eveyone plays the same way.

Lewis has failed on 2 shorthanded breakaways this season, should he have scored on at least 1 of them? Yes, but I've also seen Kopitar miss on consecutive breakaways. Doesn't mean that Kopitar can't finish, we all know that he can, it's just there are cycles to goal scoring and everyone goes through them. It's up to the coach to put each of his players into a position to succeed rather than force the players into roles that they are not suited for. It's okay to have the skilled players with more freedom to make risky plays. Yes, it will result in more chances against, but it will also result in nice plays like the Williams/Scuderi/Kopitar goal last night.

Last edited by Sydor25: 11-18-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old
11-18-2011, 12:33 PM
ShowtimeDynasty
LAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Seriously. So many examples, but one was that empty netter. Yeah everyone knew to shoot since the goalie was pulled + on the PK so no icing. But Richards had to let that one go pretty quick. It was actually a pretty slick move to steal it and get it on net. He was looking for that before the puck dropped. Can't imagine many other guys on the team pulling that off.

re Voynov: I don't care who he's playing with, the kid has undeniable talent. Heads above the other rookie/young defensemen. And I don't buy this whole "he can't play D" BS. He plays D just fine at the NHL level. The thing with him, when he has no outlet on the breakout, I don't have to worry about him making a stupid pass. He'll just hold on until he gets help or make a creative play to get the puck up ice. This is awesome.

re Loktionov: He had maybe one defensive lapse, but he also made lots of good defensive plays. I also don't buy this whole he's a defensivel liability and too weak BS. He's clearly stronger. And the whole injury thing are you people kidding me? Penner and Parse are hurt. People get hurt in hockey. Just a bunch more excuses.

*BTW, anyone else notice Lokti/Richards sort of switching off/backing eachother up in the center role? I am no psychic but I imagine that was also MR's hockey sense kicking in. Probably told Lokti if he ends up there, stay with it and switch back later. I think they will be switching midplay more often.

I assume DL will be having a busy Thanksgiving week.
All of this.

Voynov's puck control is a great defensive asset.

Saw Lokti pick-pocket a few ducks out there.

Richards!!!

ShowtimeDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:38 PM
jml87

Quote:
Jeff Carter with 29 shots and zero goals (in 9 fewer games).
Carter likes to follow the "put pucks on net and things will happen" philosophy. He just fires everything he gets on goal. It evens out usually and he gets a lot of goals, but his shot total is usually off the charts.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Cogs is a solid all around hockey player, he is not going to mistaken for a Selke candidate but he is above average defensively and is one of the best skaters in the NHL. He is frustrating because much like Brown his hands are often times behind his feet, but he would be a quality 3rd line LW for the Kings who could fill in on a 2nd line in a pinch like what he is doing now.

I assume this is the kind of guy the Kings will look to add. In addition to a good 3rd line center.
Just for ***** and giggles, say something bad about a former U of M player.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote