HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

"Canada Cup" 2012 Roster

Old
10-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
"Canada Cup" 2012 Roster

I am not sure if they have ruled out the idea of having a Canada Cup in 2012 (in August), the last I heard was that the Olympics was doubtful but that they would run the Canada Cup/World Cups for sure. But then I've not heard anything about them announcing a tournament, and time seems to be an issue.

Anyway with all the kids breaking through, and many of the vets leaving the scene, I thought it was fun to make a roster for a potential Canada Cup in 2012.

Here is my roster:
Sedin-Sedin-Landeskog//Gabriel Landeskog in a Burrows role!
Pääjärvi-Zetterberg-Franzen//I want a really fast team, especially since the games are played in August and many vets historically are look pretty darn slow in the CC/WC. I am not sold on Pääjärvi, but he brings alot of speed and I would put him on the 2nd line.
Zinbanejad-Bäckström-Louie Eriksson//Zinbanejad in a AO role! Bäckis loves to have a right hand shot on the left side. Z would also bring alot of speed and enthusiasm. Eriksson is the sniper on the other side of one of the best playmakers in the game.
Steen-Patrik Berglund-Alfredsson//Alfie is a lock if he is still playing, and he does a really good job in more of a checking role too. Berglund have to settle on the 4th line. The LW position here is tough. Giving the youth we have on the top 3, I want someone with a little bit more experience -- and PKing ability is really important too. Steen is one of the most underrated players in the NHL (of the Swede's). Everyone from Kreuger to Enqvist to a bunch of SELers would challenge.

The blueline is hard to put together, but this is how mine would look (I am counting on Lidström retireing -- but it would be awesome if still played):
Hedman-Kronwall//Hedman will be a rock in another year. Kronwall is our best RD.
Tallinder-Erik Karlsson//Karlsson might be the best offensive D in the game right now. I wouldn't mind to play Tallinder with more of a defensively solid D partner to get a real shut down D pairing, but I can't leave the offensive guys out.
Enström-Larsson//I am giving Larsson the benefit of the doubt. We are a bit heavy on LD's over RD's -- its important to have guys in their natrual positions on the small rinks, you don't get much time in the corners.
Jonathan Eriksson/Öhlund-Edler//All three could make alot of sense/be locks. Gotta wait on see on this one. OEL? Nah, I am not sure if he makes it since he wouldn't be a top offensive D on this team anyway.
Lundqvist
Marklund

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:37 PM
WayneBruce

I really don´t understand why everyone wants Paajarvi on the olympic roster. There might not be good options on his position but right now he is not the best. Also, Edler is a pure lock imo. He might be the best swedish defenseman right now.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

That's a well balanced team that would be fun to watch.

My only gripe with it is that I'd have Edler in there in place of Tallinder. He did well with an offensive minded defenseman like Erhoff before, so why not play him with Karlsson?

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Pretty sure that the NHL did rule it out, for now. They'll have one in 2015 at the earliest.

Also, Kronwall doesn't play right defense. He's said he's not comfortable there. Pretty solid lineup, though.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Ribban

D-locks on an NHL sized rink must be:

Edler
Hjalmarsson
Murray

Despite the lacking media attention these guys get becasue they are west coast boyz, they are top producing D-men, and quite a few #'s larger than the talented youngsters you see Biffen write about cuz they play when he's awake and you get on TV in Sweden, as you're subject to the East Coast bias in a big way.

I'll also take:
Erik Karlsson
Toby Enström
Tallinder

If Kronwall decides to play his damn position in Tre Kronor instead of chasing after people all over the ice to land a big hit, trying to score cheap points with the Swedish media, I'd love to have him onboard, but he was BSing in the Olympics and truly cost us big vs. Slovakia. The Kron-Wall of pain BS seems to have gotten to his head. National team duty isn't personal play time, and if that's not clear to him, then I'd be happy to leave him at home. There is no lack of competent D-men to pick from right now.

If Hedman steps it up a notch, he might be in the talks, but he still sorts in the plays too slowly, and he keeps being half a step behind time after another - can't have that in a best of the best tourney.

J. Eriksson is a similar story to Hedman, but whereas Hedman makes pretty sound decisions with the puck once he has it, Eriksson is giving me that "loose gun" feeling. Just don't know what will come out of there, and not necessarily a guy I'd like to have on the ice in a Gold Final vs. a desperate and hungry Team USA or Team Canada that's bringing the pressure.

I would be inclined of dressing Grossman as #7 if Kronwall fails to show defensive responsibility. ODouya seems like a coachable guy as well, so he'd be in the back of my mind. Don't need an all-star at #7, but rather someone who can come in and give a solid contribution when/if necessary.

Forwards:

Sedin-Sedin-Hörnqvist
Steen-Berglund-Eriksson
Z-Bäckis-Franzen
Sjöström-Påhlsson-Stålberg
Pääjärvi

No particular order on the top-3 lines (lots of flexibility there and really just a matter of who's hot and who's not). 4th line is all legs and making the team to make sure that every single opposing D-man gets checked when trying to start the break-out. Shoie + Pahlsson is first out on the PK, closely followed by Z and Bäckström/Steen. St[lberg can move up anytime, and Magnus P. can easily step into any position but Hornqvist's, perhaps. But, if the Sedin's get to play with Franzen, Paajarvi wouldn't be a bad linemate to Z and Backstrom.

Last edited by Ribban: 11-01-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:13 AM
Ola

Ribban, so Hjalmarsson and Murray makes your team ahead of Hedman and Kronwall?

No matter what Biffen said we got a bit of a log-jam on the blueline for sure, and its definitely hard to pick 6 guys.

Edler sure, ahead of A Larsson. I looked a bit into the future on that one. But Tallinder gotta be in the top 6 too. If Öhlund is left out, we are really weak infront of the net without Tallinder.

Old
11-01-2011, 04:49 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Landeskog
Pääjärvi-Zetterberg-Franzen
Zinbanejad-Bäckström-Louie Eriksson
Steen-Patrik Berglund-Alfredsson

The blueline is hard to put together, but this is how mine would look (I am counting on Lidström retireing -- but it would be awesome if still played):
Hedman-Kronwall
Tallinder-Erik Karlsson
Enström-Larsson
Jonathan Eriksson/Öhlund-Edler
Lundqvist
Marklund
Sedin - Sedin - Zetterberg (finally)
Eriksson - Bäckström - Hörnqvist
Steen - Berglund - Pääjärvi
Franzen - Järnkrok - Silfverberg
Landeskog - Ericsson

Karlsson - Edler (all the eggs in one big basket)
Kronwall - Hedman
Hjalmarsson - Ericsson
OEL - Enström

Lundqvist
Markström
Lindbäck

Taxi Squad:

Söderberg
Larsson
Fasth

jfc64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:40 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Sedin - Sedin - Franzen
Eriksson - Bäckström - Zetterberg
Steen - Berglund - Landeskog
Hörnqvist - Johansson - Stålberg
Zibanejad

Karlsson - Edler
Enström - Tallinder
Kronwall - Hjalmarsson
Hedman - Larsson

Last edited by landskronala: 11-01-2011 at 10:31 AM.
TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Ola

Guys liks Landeskog and Zinbanejad is the future for sure. Id really like to see them on any team.

Truth the be told, I am sick to deat to see these BÅG type of players who supposedly has "intanglibles" like sniping ability or playmaking ability -- but really look so sllllooooowww and square in lack of a better word next to our core players.

Hence why I would like to see:
-Gabriel Landeskog next to the Sedins,
-Mika Zinbanejad next to Bäckström, and
-Magnus Svensson-Pääjärvi next to Z and Franzen.

Those three would play the game the only way they know it; with speed under their skates and no second thoughts. As opposed to what we saw in the Olympics were guys like Weinhandle skated around doubting himself in the crease looking to utilize his extremly avg sniper ability and such.

So I say no to Patric Hörnqvist and co. If someone bleh like that is going to make my team its on a 4th line and because he can kill penalties. I have Steen there but there is a number of options for that spot. I other positions it take youth and speed over bleh-options.

I also do not want to chicken out on the blueline. Look we have three absolute world class alternatives up front. They read:
Sedin-Sedin-X
X-Zetteberg-Franzen
X-Bäckström-Louie Eriksson

And let me tell you this, if you look at the ability to manage the puck on the blueline, like I would like to say that -- nobody -- can match what we can put on the ice. Read: Erik Karlsson and Tobias Enström (top 4-5 in the game for sure in this aspcet), next to 4 guys who are born and raised in the classic Swedish manage the puck big ice hockey (take your pick of the other players mentioned: Kronwall, Hedman, Tallinder, Edler and co).

This gives us a option to put a team on the ice that:
1. Brings what a) the Sedins brings, b) what Z and Franzen brings and c) what Bäckström brings.
2. Have a ton of speed and youthful enthusiasm in Landeskog, Zinbanejad and Pääjärvi.
3. Can manage the puck at the backend as well as any team we have seen hit the ice in long while.
4. Has one of the best goalies in the league.

Thats a team that ought to be able to play a exciting brand of hockey, that possibly in a tournament played in August just could suprise many of the more veteran squads.

Sorry, but I would pick the above before more boring BÅG-LIKE options like some of the names mentioned.

Last edited by Ola: 11-01-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old
11-01-2011, 09:22 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Zetterberg - Bäckström - Franzen
Landeskog - Johansson - Steen
MPS - Berglund - Stålberg (checking-line)
Hörnqvist, Holmström,Alfredsson (4th line RW if still playing)

Karlsson - Edler
Lidström - Kronwall
Enström - Hjalmarsson
Hedman - Murray

Lundqvist
The Moose
Markström

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:53 PM
DeKeyser Soze

Are you all assuming Lidström retires after this season or has he already officially retired from the NT?

Sedin Sedin Weinhandl()/Hörnqvist
Landeskog Bäckström Franzén
Zetterberg Berglund Loui
Steen Påhlsson Alfredsson
Stålberg

Lidström Edler
Enström Murray
Kronwall Hjalmarsson
Karlsson

Lundqvist
Hedberg
Ersberg

DeKeyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Ribban

Quote:

No matter what Biffen said we got a bit of a log-jam on the blueline for sure, and its definitely hard to pick 6 guys.

Edler sure, ahead of A Larsson. I looked a bit into the future on that one. But Tallinder gotta be in the top 6 too. If Öhlund is left out, we are really weak infront of the net without Tallinder.
Crazy as it may sound, but I don't see it being a matter of competition among them.
Murray and Hjalmar stays at home for me, Hedman and Kronwall not so much.
In other words, Kronwall and Hedman is in competition for spots with Erik Karlsson and Tallinder, and from what I've seen so far, I'll take Erik Karlsson over Hedman any day of the week, and I prefer Tallinder over Kronwall, for the reasons I posted before.

Murray is a rock back on D (one that make the opponents hesitate). He sees the ice and is already in position before the plays are ever made. Very intelligent player, and a pillar on the PP. People don't give him enough credit for his offense, but he consistently makes sound and patient choices with or without the puck. Can you imagine him backing up the Sedins with his little chips down and around the boards to start the cycle everytime the puck comes sliding out.

Edler might be the best all-around D-man we have right now (yes, I said it) and can drop the hammer like nobody else on the PP.

Hjalmarsson makes very few mistakes, if any, and you can pair him up with anybody, as he reads the game so well, and has so much skill to go with his brains that he solves almost anything thrown at him.

Enström is like Hjalmarsson but a tad bit smaller.

Tallinder has wheels like a fwd and eyes in his damn neck. There are times when I wish he'd let go of the puck a tad bit sooner, but then again, he rarely commits any bad turnovers, and I don't recall last time I saw him get overplayed.

Erik Karlsson (almost forgot) is the next GREAT defenseman we'll have in the NHL. I know there are some young pups that'll give him a run for his money on that, and we may have more than one guy who'll be great, but for now, Karlsson is rising.

Who of these gents should take a backseat to Hedman or Kronwall, I don't know, and for a #7D, I want a tight and seasoned DD, not another skilled OD, like Hedman.

Old
11-01-2011, 03:52 PM
cheerupmurray

How come Hjalmarsson doesn't put up any points in NHL? He has the tools to do it. Speaking about d-men I have never seen Gunnarsson look as good as this season. He is a pretty unnoticable player, but he does everything right at the moment, even in PP, bringing the puck into the zone and shooting a lot.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
How come Hjalmarsson doesn't put up any points in NHL? He has the tools to do it. Speaking about d-men I have never seen Gunnarsson look as good as this season. He is a pretty unnoticable player, but he does everything right at the moment, even in PP, bringing the puck into the zone and shooting a lot.
Hjalmarsson has all the tools but one... the puck. I believe he got to look at it briefly during warm-ups against Nashville last night. But Toews got pissed and told him to mind his own business right after that.

Gunnarsson is from Örebro, and much like all other success stories relating to hockey from there, he will be ignored.

Old
11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
He doesn't get any PP time.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:56 PM
joe89

Quote:

For the role they'd play on Team Sweden, I'd take Murray over Hedman right now. But I think they could both be slotted in.

Kronwall, Edler, Enström, Karlsson, Tallinder, Murray, Hedman would be my top7 for the time being. Hjalmarsson right outside. Very dynamic defense.

On the forward side, I'd remove Zibanejad and Pääjärvi and insert Johansson(just as fast as Pääjärvi with more skill), and Hörnqvist(much needed component to the PP). The other 10 I agree with.

Lundqvist and Enroth in goal.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
Crazy as it may sound, but I don't see it being a matter of competition among them.
Murray and Hjalmar stays at home for me, Hedman and Kronwall not so much.
In other words, Kronwall and Hedman is in competition for spots with Erik Karlsson and Tallinder, and from what I've seen so far, I'll take Erik Karlsson over Hedman any day of the week, and I prefer Tallinder over Kronwall, for the reasons I posted before.

Murray is a rock back on D (one that make the opponents hesitate). He sees the ice and is already in position before the plays are ever made. Very intelligent player, and a pillar on the PP. People don't give him enough credit for his offense, but he consistently makes sound and patient choices with or without the puck. Can you imagine him backing up the Sedins with his little chips down and around the boards to start the cycle everytime the puck comes sliding out.

Edler might be the best all-around D-man we have right now (yes, I said it) and can drop the hammer like nobody else on the PP.

Hjalmarsson makes very few mistakes, if any, and you can pair him up with anybody, as he reads the game so well, and has so much skill to go with his brains that he solves almost anything thrown at him.

Enström is like Hjalmarsson but a tad bit smaller.

Tallinder has wheels like a fwd and eyes in his damn neck. There are times when I wish he'd let go of the puck a tad bit sooner, but then again, he rarely commits any bad turnovers, and I don't recall last time I saw him get overplayed.

Erik Karlsson (almost forgot) is the next GREAT defenseman we'll have in the NHL. I know there are some young pups that'll give him a run for his money on that, and we may have more than one guy who'll be great, but for now, Karlsson is rising.

Who of these gents should take a backseat to Hedman or Kronwall, I don't know, and for a #7D, I want a tight and seasoned DD, not another skilled OD, like Hedman.
Ok Ribban, I respect your opinion. Thats some interesting insight of some of the D's in the west that I don't see a ton of. I see these guys a little diffrently.

On Murray, natrually I really like him. But I definitely think that he is pretty immobile. If we were talking about picking a team for 82+ games, Id think he was more interesting for a top 6 spot -- but in best of 1 games I just think he brings too little defensively to warrent a spot (like when he gets behind he gets behind by alot for sure).

On Hjalmarsson, I just don't think he has a high enough skill-level to compete with someone like Enström. I definitely don't think he is like Enström while being better defensively.

On Enström, I think he is fantastic with the puck and IMO he is solidly establishing himself as a very good nr 1 D in the NHL. I hesitation I would have as regard him on a WC team is that he is a player who needs a solid amount of ice time to play his game.

On Tallinder, I definitely think that he can fill a defensive role. His size and reach is very valuble, he moves well. I am not a big fan of him, but undoubtedly is a good player who is very valuble to have if for example a team like Canada throws out 3 forwarsd on the ice 6'2 and bigger.

On Hedman, like with Tallinder, his size is also valuble. He is rough around the edges still, but improving fast and in 12 months -- I think he beats out the competition clearly.

On Edler, I agree with to some extent. I would change my top 6 and put him in it for sure. But, I do not think that he is like that good (our best D). You need to be very careful when you compare a D who plays on a great team with a D who plays in a less stabile environemnt. Very very careful. I am a Ranger fan, and I can guarantee you that if Edler played for the Rangers like nobody would have him in the top 6 (which probably would be unfair). And its basically the same for Hedman in Tamapa, at team that also looses alot if pucks in the wrong areas of the ice.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Ok Ribban, I respect your opinion. Thats some interesting insight of some of the D's in the west that I don't see a ton of. I see these guys a little diffrently.

On Murray, natrually I really like him. But I definitely think that he is pretty immobile. If we were talking about picking a team for 82+ games, Id think he was more interesting for a top 6 spot -- but in best of 1 games I just think he brings too little defensively to warrent a spot (like when he gets behind he gets behind by alot for sure).

On Hjalmarsson, I just don't think he has a high enough skill-level to compete with someone like Enström. I definitely don't think he is like Enström while being better defensively.

On Enström, I think he is fantastic with the puck and IMO he is solidly establishing himself as a very good nr 1 D in the NHL. I hesitation I would have as regard him on a WC team is that he is a player who needs a solid amount of ice time to play his game.

On Tallinder, I definitely think that he can fill a defensive role. His size and reach is very valuble, he moves well. I am not a big fan of him, but undoubtedly is a good player who is very valuble to have if for example a team like Canada throws out 3 forwarsd on the ice 6'2 and bigger.

On Hedman, like with Tallinder, his size is also valuble. He is rough around the edges still, but improving fast and in 12 months -- I think he beats out the competition clearly.

On Edler, I agree with to some extent. I would change my top 6 and put him in it for sure. But, I do not think that he is like that good (our best D). You need to be very careful when you compare a D who plays on a great team with a D who plays in a less stabile environemnt. Very very careful. I am a Ranger fan, and I can guarantee you that if Edler played for the Rangers like nobody would have him in the top 6 (which probably would be unfair). And its basically the same for Hedman in Tamapa, at team that also looses alot if pucks in the wrong areas of the ice.
The respect is mutual, and truly enjoy balling with you back and forth! I am certainly not an NHL coach, nor am I in line to land a job in the league... not that I know of anyway , so I don't expect anybody to take what I say without a fistful of salt.

You did crack me up though, as I also keep an extra eye on the Rangers in the east... the hopeless Rangers, who I year in and year out want and wish for to have a great season. This year, the Ranger D is... uhm... really providing us with an exciting opportunity to improve! *see what I did there* ... and a guy like Edler would go right in as #1 and probably provide more of a lift than people think, as he plays physically when needed, knows how to hit his wing with a first pass, has good speed, possesses a well known bomb from the blue line to stretch the opponents' D, and reads off and exploits any forward falling asleep on him.

The Canucks aren't making him great, but rather it is him, Bieksa (these days) and Salo (every other day... when healthy), who provide the space for the Twins & Burrow (who aren't very good in their own zone) to do what they do. The same is true for Canucks 3rd and 4th line, which are basically energy players all the way through. The Canucks much talked about offensive punch really starts and depends on their D, which is why they hurt so bad in the play-offs when one or two off the guys in the back go down.

I do want to give Enström more credit as well. He is the sole reason to why they can have the big DB on D. The DB goes off in all directions at any time with the puck, and it is frequently Enström who has to save the day, when the DB turns the puck over. Lots of work in the shadows that aren't recorded on the stat sheets.

Same with Hjalmarsson really. The kids are running wild, and they certainly create a fair share of highlight moments, but they also fail just as often if not more, and then it falls on the D core to fend off the rushes or cover for some kid that took a chance and left the zone early. I would love to see, what the L.A. Lakers used to refer to as the junk stats (created by Pat Riley during the Showtime era to show how many times a player dove on the floor for a loose ball, boxed out for a rebound, got a hand in someones face, etc.), to see how many times Seabrook and Hjalmarsson has to break up odd man rushes or defend a triangle by themselves in a corner because the wing is out of position or not committed to his defensive assignment (yes, I'm a total nerd when it comes to these things - a product of my love for Am. Football and Basketball).

We are in complete agreement that Murray is not a speed demon. There are moments, usually after blowing the froth off a couple of cool ones, that I envision even myself being able to beat Murray up and down the ice although I know that is taking things a little too far.

Last edited by Ribban: 11-02-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old
11-29-2011, 09:36 PM
dan1el

Sedin-Sedin-Landeskog
Eriksson-Backstrom-Zetterberg
Franzen-Zibanejab-Paajarvi
Sjostrom-Berglund-Alfredsson
Steen

Karlsson-Hedman
Kronwall-Enstrom
Murray-Hjalmarsson
Edler

Lundqvist
Enroth

Being a Sens fan I like Rundblad to make a run at being on this team though. He is pretty good.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote