HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XIX | Trade Spezza Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2011, 11:00 AM
DJB

vCash: 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Now that Boudreau has replaced Carlyle as the Ducks coach, any Ryan trade will be put on hold for awhile is my bet.
It should, but in reality it's not going to stop Leafers from offering Kulemin and Kadri proposals for Ryan...

Old
12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
dan1el

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
couldnt disagree more, makes us better in both the short term and the long term.
Ottawa should be looking to make a deal exactly like this.

basically two 2nd round picks, Foligno and Weircoch
or look at it this way:

3 assets that will in no way be on our roster next year, takes nothing out of current prospect pool which is ranked 2nd on HF boards and Foligno whom i like but is a 3rd liner hoping to make it as a 2nd liner someday.

For a young guy who is a #1 center in the NHL, almost a point per game for his career.

Greening Spezza Michalek
Filitov/Regin Stastny Alfie
Daugavins Smith Condra
Butler Winchester Neil

Still in the pipeline - 1st round pick 2011, Z, Noesen, Stone, Puempl, Prince, Silfverberg up front.
Lee, Boro, Gryba on D.

minimum 7 players looking for NHL time over the next 2 years, on a team that is already very young.
where do you think these guys are going to play?

Any talk of managing our assets properly immediately starts with a simple question, is it possible to trade some of our excess depth for high end talent.
If yes, make the deal.

if we dont we will end up squandering them away on small one off deals. a 2nd round pick here, a 3rd here - trade for a similar player in a different position etcetc.

High end trade like that, a high end UFA signing and Ottawa is a contender with lots of cheap contracts,and lots of youth in the pipline.

that's how you win, that's how you stay a winner.
just for kicks we make that trade, then sign Parise to a 7.5 million deal. Here is the roster and the cost. (not all players necessarily will be there but more the $$ side of things)

Greening .8 Spezza 7 Michalek 4.3
Parise 7.5 Stastny 6.6 Silfverberg 1.3
Daugvins .6 Smith .8 Condra .6
Butler 1 Regin 1 Neil 2

Cowen 1.3 Karlsson 5.5 (inc raise)
Phillips 3 Gonchar 5.5
Lee 1 Runblad 1.5

Andersson 3.1
Lehner 0.9

Alfie 4.8 cap hit even though retired

Total $59.2 million

Over 4 million under the cap with this roster next year. at the end of that year, Alfie comes off the cap, gonchar comes off the cap freeing up $10 million more.

Ill take that roster and $14 million to spend, with loads of prospects still to come.
Again its the principle not the exact trade. One trade like that, one high end UFA (dman or forward) and Ottawa is loaded for years.

Couldn't agree more. Foligno is a very good player for Ottawa, but he's no Stastny, and if the price is him and Wiercoch then it's not exactly a steep price to pay.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Jackie Treehorn

Yost saying Ottawa and Columbus talking Brassard. He posts on Eklunds site but he seems to be somewhat reluctant to get into trade rumours and he insists he can confirm they talked as late as this morning. Wonder what the ask is.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Yost saying Ottawa and Columbus talking Brassard. He posts on Eklunds site but he seems to be somewhat reluctant to get into trade rumours and he insists he can confirm they talked as late as this morning. Wonder what the ask is.
My guess?...Lee+O'Brien+a late pick

Problem is Brassard's salary, which imo is the main reason why he isn't in a Sens uni yet.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Ottawa needs a Stastny or a Parise. We need to make a big trade for a big time forward because that's all we are really missing, imo.

We have the defensive core, the goaltender of the future(Or nab a goalie from UFA, fairly easy to find them) As well as the offensive talent up-front and the solid bottom 6.

However, if we can get Brassard for relatively cheap, go the hell for it.

Old
12-02-2011, 09:05 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Ottawa needs a Stastny or a Parise. We need to make a big trade for a big time forward because that's all we are really missing, imo.

We have the defensive core, the goaltender of the future(Or nab a goalie from UFA, fairly easy to find them) As well as the offensive talent up-front and the solid bottom 6.

However, if we can get Brassard for relatively cheap, go the hell for it.

Sens + Stastny =/= Stanley Cup

Stay the course. For the love of Alfie you guys are impatient

Old
12-02-2011, 09:12 PM
HSF

Stastny is overpaid

Old
12-02-2011, 09:18 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
Regin and Lee should be able to get it done IMO.

In saying that, I do not want Brassard on this team. He is a more proven, experienced version of what we want Regin to become.

Problem is, they are both injury prone, and we have a longer sample size to make an educated opinion that Brassard is not the same player he was in 2008. I think the Brassard supporters are way to caught up in the player from 4 years ago. He is not the same player every since he hurt his shoulder in a fight. Todays Brassard plays a weak, tenative game.
Regin and Brassard aren't at all the same, and I sure as hell don't want Regin to become him.

Old
12-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
Regin and Lee should be able to get it done IMO.

In saying that, I do not want Brassard on this team. He is a more proven, experienced version of what we want Regin to become.

Problem is, they are both injury prone, and we have a longer sample size to make an educated opinion that Brassard is not the same player he was in 2008. I think the Brassard supporters are way to caught up in the player from 4 years ago. He is not the same player every since he hurt his shoulder in a fight. Todays Brassard plays a weak, tenative game.
well if/when the deal gets done, our lineup could be this:

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Filatov-Brassard-Alfie
Foligno-Regin-Neil
Daugavins-Smith-Condra/Winchester/Konopka/Butler

Brassard could greatly benefit from MacLean's system, and his tentative/weak game game could fixed here.

Old
12-02-2011, 09:25 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
well if/when the deal gets done, our lineup could be this:

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Filatov-Brassard-Alfie
Foligno-Regin-Neil
Daugavins-Smith-Condra/Winchester/Konopka/Butler

Brassard could greatly benefit from MacLean's system, and his tentative/weak game game could fixed here.
Greening-Spezza-Butler
Michalek-Brassard-Alfredsson
Foligno-Regin-Neil
Daugavins-Smith-Condra
Winchester

Old
12-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Greening-Spezza-Butler
Michalek-Brassard-Alfredsson
Foligno-Regin-Neil
Daugavins-Smith-Condra
Winchester
Fun fact; Filly and Brassard actually have chemistry..believe it or not, throw in Alfie and wow.....we have ourselves a bottom 9.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:06 PM
trobby

Fun Fact: Filatov only played 44 games while playing with CBJ.
Fun Fact: Filatov only scored 13 points while playing with CBJ.
Fun Fact: Filatov only averaged 8 minutes a game in '09, 8 min in '10, 12 min in '11.
Fun Fact: Based on Fun Fact 1-3, there is NO WAY Filatov had chemistry with anyone.

Bonus Fun Fact: Alfie is the WOW factor on any line.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Fun fact; Filly and Brassard actually have chemistry..believe it or not, throw in Alfie and wow.....we have ourselves a bottom 9.
I don't want a bottom 9, where's my top 6!

Brassard isn't an answer to anything. Especially with his contract, it shouldn't cost more than Lee or an AHL prospect and maybe a mid rounder. We aren't doing all that bad, even without a real 2nd line C. Let the kids play, learn and win.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Ed Wood

Yost believes the Blue Jackets want a dman who can play right now and mentions Lee or Carkner as possibilities. I don't think Columbus want to take back more contract than one of those guys with a pick or prospect thrown in as well. I think Murray is trying to include one of our excess forwards in the deal.

Old
12-03-2011, 08:21 AM
TSA0402

Blue Jackets got torched last night, the major letdown was a brutal play by each of the Clitsome/Johnson pairing on the same play. Other d-man John Moore is not a good NHL defenseman yet.

No point in discussing forwards. They have Atkinson waiting in the wings, who I'd take over any surplus Sens winger anyday. Clearly need defense. Brian Lee fits the bill. ****!

Old
12-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

Lee is no different from what a lot of franchises should have in their system.

Old
12-03-2011, 08:31 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Blue Jackets got torched last night, the major letdown was a brutal play by each of the Clitsome/Johnson pairing on the same play. Other d-man John Moore is not a good NHL defenseman yet.

No point in discussing forwards. They have Atkinson waiting in the wings, who I'd take over any surplus Sens winger anyday. Clearly need defense. Brian Lee fits the bill. ****!
Moore can play NHL he is ready I do not understand why Clitsome played and not Moore? Johnson i bad too. I would like to get a physical defensman to Moore and Clitsome with Johnson out.

But what I saw Lee... I will see the game against Caps but probably not I thought he is better. I would like to get a tough wing... thats why Foligno is my choice for Brassard. Idid not know he isso good in the front of the net. I wanted a goalie for Brassard but after this it is passe.

Old
12-03-2011, 08:47 AM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Moore can play NHL he is ready I do not understand why Clitsome played and not Moore? Johnson i bad too. I would like to get a physical defensman to Moore and Clitsome with Johnson out.

But what I saw Lee... I will see the game against Caps but probably not I thought he is better. I would like to get a tough wing... thats why Foligno is my choice for Brassard. Idid not know he isso good in the front of the net. I wanted a goalie for Brassard but after this it is passe.
If the Blue Jackets get Lee or Foligno for Brassard it's because there's a draft pick coming back Ottawa's way.

I don't understand why everyone keeps imagining that Brassard has a lot of trade value. What did Nik Hagman get in trade this year? What did Blake Comeau get in trade this year? What about when Bergfors when on waivers, anyone make a claim?

All players who have either produced more in the NHL or have at least produced at the same level. One guy they couldn't give away for free and the other two they gave away for free.

It sucks to admit it for Jackets fans but Brassard's situation is even worse than these guys as his contract is even larger than any of the aforementioned.

If Murray is sending Brian Lee the other way, you can be sure there's either a prospect or a draft pick coming back with Brassard for doing CBJ a favor.

Old
12-03-2011, 08:53 AM
JustinYS

Still waiting for the "Confirmed with link"...

Old
12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
derriko

vCash: 50
Maybe they're waiting to see how Carkner plays in his re-hab stint?

Personally if we could pick between Carkner or Lee getting shipped out I would pick Lee 99/100 times and even add a pick or a higher one than what it would take for Carks. I've supported Lee since the day he was drafted but he's just a dime a dozen and we should just cut our losses and move on

Old
12-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Lee is no different from what a lot of franchises should have in their system.
Believe it or not, not all franchises have much for defensive depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post

Foligno is doubtful to go anywhere. He's stapled.

Old
12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

Well If Yost is talking about it, this as as good as a done deal. I always said we needed more French Canadians on the team. I hope he can regain his developmental direction.

Old
12-03-2011, 09:24 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Believe it or not, not all franchises have much for defensive depth.

Foligno is doubtful to go anywhere. He's stapled.
If Lee gets traded, in 2.5 years, we will have left:

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Rundblad
Borocop - Gryba

some of those have question marks since they haven`t played in the NHL yet.

Not sure we have a lot of depth at defense

Old
12-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Rundblad
Borocop - Gryba

I am sure we will find a capable 5-6-7 from within or via free agency. Nothing expensive, but someone like Preissing

Old
12-03-2011, 09:38 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Rundblad
Borocop - Gryba

2.5 years is plenty time to find defensemen, either through the draft, trade or UFA.

Not to mention we also have Fransoo and Claesson depending how they develope.

Ideally, I would like Ottawa to acquire another 1st Round pick this year, and take someone like Reinhart, just to even out our prospect pool a little bit.

Closed Thread