HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter May Want Out of Columbus. Interested?

Old
11-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
... and if we aren't planning to pay Roy as a top tier #1 center in 2013, then we should definitely be looking to move him this year, rather then letting his trade value plummet when he enters the final year of his contract.
Management has made it clear what their goal is, how does it make any sense at all to trade a guy who is the teams best center just to avoid his trade value dropping?

Or is this one of those mythical trade him for a "big true #1 center" type deals?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Management has made it clear what their goal is, how does it make any sense at all to trade a guy who is the teams best center just to avoid his trade value dropping?

Or is this one of those mythical trade him for a "big true #1 center" type deals?
More from the aspect of making a one-for-one to alter the core now, without breaking the bank to get someone who may or may not be the guy to supplant or compliment Roy in the near future.

11-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I disagree.

Even if they didn't want to pay Roy in 2 years, you keep him. Because the goal is to win a Cup, and these 2 years they are going to be in the picture. (I'm assuming that you don't just make a lateral move because the other team would need a reason for it, and I'd be really weary of Jeff Carter as the top center).

Ultimately, I think Roy will be re-signed. They'll be able to free up salary on defense (Leopold/Regehr, although maybe Regehr gets re-signed), plus throw in a hometown Pegula discount and cap increase, and I can see him signing around 5M.

It'll be interesting to see if they ink him to an extension this offseason. Of course, we'll see how the team performs when it matters first.
The only way they re-sign Roy for that type of cap hit... is if they give him 7+ years... camparable are you going to use to get Roy in around 5???
E.Staal 8.25
Lecavalier 7.7
Gomes 7.3
Spezza 7.0
Kopitar 6.8
M.Koivu 6.75
Stastny 6.6
Briere 6.5
Toews 6.3
Cammaleri 6.0

I don't see how Roy gets less then M.Koivu

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post

It only makes sense, if you've determined that a shake up type of move, to alter the core that has played 13 playoff games in the last 4 years, is necessary in building towards a cup.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
If the team was resigned to moving Roy, they could do so after this season when there'd be a lot more teams in a position to take him on. More suitors usually equates to better offers. That way, we could see how the team performs with both Roy and Carter and make a decision from there.

I get the whole "core shakeup" concept, but I'm not sure replacing Roy with a player some may perceive as a pouter or malcontent is going to provided the desired change.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Jeff Carter May Want Out of Columbus. Interested?

RDS's Renaud Lavoie tweeted yesterday that Carter wants out of Columbus already. His agent has denied it, but Lavoie said other GM's are aware of this, as is Lavoie's Columbus source. Carter will be 27 on January 1, and is currently in the first season of an 11yr/$58m deal ($5.273m cap hit). He's averaged 36 goals and 66 pts over the last four seasons.

There was a conversation in the Around the NHL thread regarding whether people would be interested in Carter, and the players they'd be willing to give up to get him. Would you be interested in Carter? Who would you reasonably offer?

(Josh, want to dump the conversation in here?)

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

I'd take him, but not for whatever price Columbus will be asking for him.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:22 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

If this theory is true, I would not want a player who less than 20 games into a season with a new team, he wants out? Who's to say he wouldn't pull that junk in Buffalo? No thanks, I don't care how good he is.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:24 PM
CowbellConray

I would love to have carter. Off ice issues aside, he is a great player but even better he is a center that likes to shoot. I think him with leino and maybe gerbe or ennis would be a very solid line. That being said, it would probably take Ennis to get him from CBJ.

I would throw this offer to CBJ:

Jeff Carter

for

Ennis, Boyes, Calgary 2nd, + one mid level prospect Dman (TJ brennen, Crawford, Biega) Maybe a mid to late round pick.

CBJ got him for Voracek, 8th overall, and a third. I think Ennis has the same value as Voracek, The Calgary second and boyes is decent, TJ brennen and a 4th is better value than a 3rd.

I would do that trade and ice the following line up:

Vanek - Roy - Pommers
Leino - Carter - Stafford
Gerbe - Goose - Kaleta
Mccormik - Adam - Hecht

Good/Great top 6, good 3rd line and Adam can learn some more defensive responisbilities from Hecht

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
If this theory is true, I would not want a player who less than 20 games into a season with a new team, he wants out? Who's to say he wouldn't pull that junk in Buffalo? No thanks, I don't care how good he is.
Would you want to play for the Blues? I mean, honestly?

Old
11-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Would you want to play for the Blues? I mean, honestly?
St Louis are a decent team .

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:35 PM
joshjull

My thoughts on the Carter situation from the around NHL thread

If Carter is really asking for a trade. Then he is essentially quitting on the Jackets when times are tough. Not a very encouraging reaction to his first time as the clearcut #1 center on a team. He could hide in Philly and let others work them out of a slump. But in Columbus he is the man at center. Is fighting through this horrible start and laying the groundwork for future success that overwhelming to him?

That should make one pause about acquiring him.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres Fan UK View Post
St Louis are a decent team .
lulz

My bad.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:40 PM
glassjaw*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
My thoughts on the Carter situation from the around NHL thread

If Carter is really asking for a trade. Then he is essentially quitting on the Jackets when times are tough. Not a very encouraging reaction to his first time as the clearcut #1 center on a team. He could hide in Philly and let others work them out of a slump. But in Columbus he is the man at center. Is fighting through this horrible start and laying the groundwork for future success that overwhelming to him?

That should make one pause about acquiring him.
Third times the charm. Columbus is an awful team. I really don't blame him for wanting out especially when he was unexpectedly traded away from a powerhouse team he played a big part in. If we can get him for something like Ennis and some meh throw-ins like Grags or whatever, I'd pull the trigger.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:40 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

I think you have to have interest in a player of Carter's caliber. I just don't see Columbus giving him up already unless they get vastly overpaid. Unless he makes it clear that he wants out, I don't see it happening.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Interested? Certainly. Buffalo remains weak in the middle. Carter, when on his game, is a very capable scorer and has the size teams covet.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:54 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Third times the charm. Columbus is an awful team. I really don't blame him for wanting out especially when he was unexpectedly traded away from a powerhouse team he played a big part in. If we can get him for something like Ennis and some meh throw-ins like Grags or whatever, I'd pull the trigger.
We couldn't trade Ennis for him for Cap reasons.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:58 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Interested? Certainly. Buffalo remains weak in the middle. Carter, when on his game, is a very capable scorer and has the size teams covet.
Even with my reservations, he is still someone I would be interested in getting.

IIRC he centered Leino and Briere coming into the playoffs the year Philly went to the Finals (then Briere took over when he got hurt). Maybe getting Leino and Carter together could spark them both.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:59 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I don't like him. That said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If the price was right, and by right I mean expendable parts and a pick, then I'd look into it. Especially if it frees cap space.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
EVen with my reservations he is still someone I would be interested in getting.

IIRC he centered Leino and Briere coming into the playoffs the year Philly went to the Finals. Maybe getting Leino and Carter together could spark them both.
Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Leino-Carter-Stafford
Ennis-Hecht-Boyes
Gerbe-Goose-Kaleta

Old
11-18-2011, 02:01 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
I don't like him. That said:

If the price was right, and by right I mean expendable parts and a pick, then I'd look into it. Especially if it frees cap space.
It would be awfully tough, bordering on impossible, to trade expendable parts and a pick for Carter AND free up cap space. Carter has a 5.27mil cap hit

Old
11-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Leino-Carter-Stafford
Ennis-Hecht-Boyes
Gerbe-Goose-Kaleta
One of our small centers seems to have disappeared.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:04 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Honest questions, not trying to be a wise guy...

Do Agents of players "do their homework" before helping a player sign to a team?

Do all players "do their homework" before signing to a team?

Are they forced to sign to teams sometimes? (especially when talented)

Does it sometimes really take signing with a team, living in the town, playing with the team, experiencing the fans and local media, to know weather or not they will regret their decision?

I would THINK that they would call current or past players, research the town, housing, nightlife, etc..... Do everything possible from every angle to make an educated informed decision before going to a team.

With all those thoughts, what the bleep is wrong with Carter? Is he an idiot? Because if this story is true, I really question his intelligence. Or was the 11 year commitment not his choice? Educate me.

Edit: sorry, now I see it was a Flyers 11 yr. signing...

Last edited by ZZamboni: 11-18-2011 at 02:09 PM.
ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Columbus gave up Jakub Voracek (40-50 point player), a first round pick in 2011 and a third round pick in 2011 for Carter. At the very least, they're going to be looking to get those assets back. Any trade proposal to Columbus is pretty much going to have to match or exceed that package.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Honest questions, not trying to be a wise guy...

Do Agents of players "do their homework" before helping a player sign to a team?

Do all players "do their homework" before signing to a team?

Are they forced to sign to teams sometimes? (especially when talented)

Does it sometimes really take signing with a team, living in the town, playing with the team, experiencing the fans and local media, to know weather or not they will regret their decision?

I would THINK that they would call current or past players, research the town, housing, nightlife, etc..... Do everything possible from every angle to make an educated informed decision before going to a team.

With all those thoughts, what the bleep is wrong with Carter? Is he an idiot? Because if this story is true, I really question his intelligence. Or was the 11 year commitment not his choice? Educate me.
His contract was signed in Philly, not Columbus. He was traded before his NTC kicked in. Carter had no choice in the matter.