HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Jeff Carter May Want Out of Columbus. Interested?

Old
11-18-2011, 09:41 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitzo4221 View Post
Sabres are getting Carter...period. Thats what they need a number one center. With Pegula, it's going to happen.

Hopefully
To play devil's advocate, only 1 player acquired since Pegula has taken over has lived up to the hype.

And, no, I'm not bashing Pegula so don't go there.

But, I am looking squarely at someone in the front office.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Smitzo4221

Important note - Much to my suprise, and i mean MUCH, Carter has only eclipsed seventy points once.

Roy has done this twice and came within one point of seventy another time. It seems many Sabres fans are underestimating Roy's importance and talent.

Last edited by Smitzo4221: 11-18-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Smitzo4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:10 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Important note - Much to my suprise, and i mean MUCH, Carter has only eclipsed seventy points once.

Roy has done this twice and came within one point of seventy another time. It seems we as Sabres fans are underestimating Roy's importance and talent.
Hey, careful when you say "we"

"Some Sabres fans" ...... Much more accurate

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:57 AM
jfb392

Quote:
-- In an earlier post, we quoted Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson in denying a report via RDS that center Jeff Carter has requested a trade. Howson and Carter chatted briefly this morning in Nashville, and Howson said nothing has changed from his earlier statement. There was no trade request. Carter said Howson approached him only has a heads-up that the local media would be looking for him after practice. (Yep. They were.) Carter also vehemently denied the report, and he had more to say. That will be our main story in Saturday's editions of The Dispatch.
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...lllllllle.html

Now I can stop having nightmares about hearing RJ say "Carter shoots high and wide" every game.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:00 AM
LFDM

Ok, tbere seems to be a misunderstanding about his trade request, so all of this might be hypothetical...
To those who question Carter for him speaking his mind about being traded: It' silly. Going from Philly to Columbus who look downright atrocious right now you really can't blame. I know that I'd want to be traded for sure...Carter has a reasonable contract for ages, I guess you can give future picks for him. This team is not rebuilding anyway, our picks are of no worth going forward in the next years - when they are longing for the cup...
I say get him, if he's available...

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:06 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFDM View Post
Ok, tbere seems to be a misunderstanding about his trade request, so all of this might be hypothetical...
To those who question Carter for him speaking his mind about being traded: It' silly. Going from Philly to Columbus who look downright atrocious right now you really can't blame. I know that I'd want to be traded for sure...Carter has a reasonable contract for ages, I guess you can give future picks for him. This team is not rebuilding anyway, our picks are of no worth going forward in the next years - when they are longing for the cup...
I say get him, if he's available...
With all due respect.... Do you proof read your posts? I had a hard time following your sentence fragments. I'm not perfect either but try re-writing some of that so we can respond. Just asking

Old
11-19-2011, 10:48 AM
LFDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
With all due respect.... Do you proof read your posts? I had a hard time following your sentence fragments. I'm not perfect either but try re-writing some of that so we can respond. Just asking
yes, you're right, I suck - especially when in a hurry...

more fragments: don't blame Carter for wanting to be traded. From Philly to Columbus is a serious downgrade, I can understand him if he wants out. He probably just wants to win, which is impossible in Columbus...
We can trade picks, we aren't rebuilding anyway. A proven player like Carter is definetely worth it.

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:06 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFDM View Post
yes, you're right, I suck - especially when in a hurry...

more fragments: don't blame Carter for wanting to be traded. From Philly to Columbus is a serious downgrade, I can understand him if he wants out. He probably just wants to win, which is impossible in Columbus...
We can trade picks, we aren't rebuilding anyway. A proven player like Carter is definetely worth it.
Yea, Carter would be a nice pick up. True Columbus is a downgrade, but Buffalo would be an upgrade

Old
11-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...lllllllle.html

Now I can stop having nightmares about hearing RJ say "Carter shoots high and wide" every game.
I thought the nightmare would be RJ saying "and it appears Carter is out with another broken foot".

11-19-2011, 12:42 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:

Roy has done this twice and came within one point of seventy another time. It seems many Sabres fans are underestimating Roy's importance and talent.
Roy is criminally underrated by many on this board. He's a MUCH better player than Carter. Carter is invisible unless he's scoring goals. While Roy can do things that make you want to rip your hair out, he can control the pace of a game. Roy doesn't need to be surrounded by better players to succeed. Carter does.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:16 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Roy is criminally underrated by many on this board. He's a MUCH better player than Carter. Carter is invisible unless he's scoring goals. While Roy can do things that make you want to rip your hair out, he can control the pace of a game. Roy doesn't need to be surrounded by better players to succeed. Carter does.
So if Roy centered McCormick and Tropp, he would be almost as effective as if he was centering Leino and Stafford? Hmmm interesting story.

Old
11-19-2011, 03:55 PM
littletonhockeycoach

I'm not really interested in getting Carter. I guess I just don't like his game. Nor his injury history. Not sure what's behind his dissatisfaction with the Columbus situation but sometimes, ya gotta suck it up and work to make it better than try to bail.....

I would be interested in one of the Stoll's...... Any one of them in fact. Eric would be a nice add....

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 04:49 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
I'm not really interested in getting Carter. I guess I just don't like his game. Nor his injury history. Not sure what's behind his dissatisfaction with the Columbus situation but sometimes, ya gotta suck it up and work to make it better than try to bail.....

I would be interested in one of the Stoll's...... Any one of them in fact. Eric would be a nice add....
You mean one of the Staal's ... I personally would take any Staal BUT Eric. I just have a deep hatred for that dude.

Old
11-19-2011, 05:08 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
You mean one of the Staal's ... I personally would take any Staal BUT Eric. I just have a deep hatred for that dude.
yeah..... I'm rightfully embarrassed.... cognition is going into the toilet these days. I think I had a realtor named Stoll once.....

I mix metaphors a lot too

I think I understand your hatred for Eric but it's funny how attitudes change when the guy ends up playing for your team (Tim Connelly excepted......)

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:15 PM
stokes84

Quote:
So if Roy centered McCormick and Tropp, he would be almost as effective as if he was centering Leino and Stafford? Hmmm interesting story.
He would make them better than if Carter centered them, that's for sure.

Old
11-20-2011, 01:26 PM
stokes84

Quote:
He would make them better than if Carter centered them, that's for sure.

Old
11-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Takeo

Who wouldn't want out of Columbus? The Sabres should be all over it if Carter is available. No hesitation.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I agree, and at the same time, I think Carter is overrated on this board. I like him, but he is not a better player than Roy. And if people think our top 6 is soft now, it doesn't get any better by adding Carter.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:44 AM
dan213

I would take Carter in a heartbeat.

dan213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:53 AM
niroopg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I agree, and at the same time, I think Carter is overrated on this board. I like him, but he is not a better player than Roy. And if people think our top 6 is soft now, it doesn't get any better by adding Carter.
Who are you kidding? $6 mil/ year for a guy entering his prime and who has 29, 46 ( as a 23-24 year old), 33, 36 goals in the last 4 seasons. That kind of consistency is rare in the NHL, if you haven't realized.

niroopg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:25 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post

Did you mean Staal? Or were you meaning Stoll from LA?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 07:21 AM
HiddenInLight

Id love to see carter come to buffalo. Lines would be fun to think about too.

Vanek - Adam - Pommer
Stafford - Roy - Boyes/Hecht
Leino -Carter - Ellis/Ennis
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta

Honestly Id put adam back on the vanek pommer line...gives him first line experience, better centers in roy and carter aren't really needed there...that line was good early on. Carter and Roy can do the 2a 2b (which in our case is sort of 1a/1b since we won't have our best center on our top line....don't really need to....) Make sure we put carter with leino since they have chemistry already it may spark leino. Then put roy and stafford together wth GGK as line 4. Fill in the other blanks with guys not used in the trade (I think he may be had for Sekeraand Ennis maybe toss in a pick, then we might need another trade to drop some cap space...wouldn't be too hard to do I bet toss sombody for a pick or a 7th dman on the cheap)

Would put our team up on a whole new level. Especially if we do it soon so the remaining lines can build chemestry before the playoffs.

Then we make sure we are the 8th seed in the playoffs so we don't need to get any wins at home and we will be set!

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by niroopg View Post
Who are you kidding? $6 mil/ year for a guy entering his prime and who has 29, 46 ( as a 23-24 year old), 33, 36 goals in the last 4 seasons. That kind of consistency is rare in the NHL, if you haven't realized.
Sure, that's great. He's a very good player, I never said he wasn't. But given the depth in Philly, he was never THE guy on offense, coming to Buffalo he would be focused on by defenses much more than he ever was in Philly. I know it's a small sample size, but thus far in Columbus that point has been proven. I never said he wouldn't be a great addition to the team, just saying that I don't think replacing Roy with Carter necessarily makes the team better.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:28 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Columbus gave up Jakub Voracek (40-50 point player), a first round pick in 2011 and a third round pick in 2011 for Carter. At the very least, they're going to be looking to get those assets back. Any trade proposal to Columbus is pretty much going to have to match or exceed that package.
Drew Stafford, a 1st, and a 2nd/3rd or prospect should do it then. I don't get the whole sentiment around wanting to trade Roy a guy who shows up every night instead of getting rid of a bum like Stafford. Wouldn't trading a guy who just signed a big new contract and was given a letter going into this season qualify as shaking things up?

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:27 PM
mikey329

ready for criticism leino -miller- for carter.

mikey329 is offline   Reply With Quote