HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Off ice to on ice shooting

Old
11-18-2011, 09:55 AM
BlackNYellow

vCash: 500
Off ice to on ice shooting

Hey everyone,

So about one year ago I started skating in general, about 4 months after skating I decided to start playing hockey, or attempt to rather . I am currently in an adult league, my skating has improved ten fold from when I began. I have also been on these boards browsing for tips on shooting, which I have been working on diligently, primarily my wrist shot.

For the most part I practice my shot off ice on a piece of white board that I had from work. My wrist shot off ice is awesome. I do use a shorter stick (about 3 inches shorter than the stick I actually use in games, on the ice).

Now when I go to take this shot in game, the puck more or less does nothing that I have taught it to on ice (). What I mean by that is, my shot on ice barely gets off the ice, maybe 2-3 inches max then begins to fall really quickly, leaving me to believe that the power being generated is far less than that off ice. Which I realize off ice I have more 'stability' and am not worried about falling because I am not balancing on two blades but my entire foot.

My question is, has anyone experienced this issue, and also are there any tips for successfully transferring my off ice game to on ice?

I understand all of this is not an easy skill obtained over night. It is just somewhat frustrating to see an awesome, hard, wrist shot off ice then get on ice and the puck skips and wobbles through the air. I am trying to get more and more ice time, but that is proving to be a task between work and the times available to me at the local rink.

BlackNYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I personally use about the same length stick for shooting off ice. I find off ice my knees are bent less, so I stand up a little more, which makes the difference negligible.

You're doing good learning the muscle movements, but you may have to change how you shoot when you get on ice. Focus on quick release, not a hard shot, but shooting quickly. The push-pull is crucial. You want your hands to whip very quickly. Don't worry about loading the stick on ice.

Just focus on a quick shot, not hard. See how that mindset works and if you're still having problems, stop back.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:26 AM
flyers10

I think part of the problem could be the lack of stability/balance that you have on ice (which you have realized). I bought a small piece of synthetic ice so I can put on some old skates and shoot in my garage. If you have roller blades put those. Not exactly as skates but will help more than sneakers. Also, like Jarick mentioned work on a quicker release. Worth it to shoot a bit slower if you can fire it quickly and not give goalie time to set. Make sure to work on good body position (bend knees to use for power) and maybe video yourself to see what is good and what needs improvement.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If balance is a problem work on shooting on one leg off ice. Literally stand on one leg and shoot. Switch up legs too.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:06 PM
BlackNYellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If balance is a problem work on shooting on one leg off ice. Literally stand on one leg and shoot. Switch up legs too.
I will definitely give this a shot.

@flyers10 -- where would one get themselves a piece of synthetic ice?

BlackNYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:24 PM
flyers10

There are several places online that sell it in 4'x4' or 4'x8' interlocking pieces. A 4x4 runs about $150-175. Sometime can find material from old dasher boards from a rink for cheap. Basically it is HDPE or UHMWPE. U can buy sheets of it from plastics companies too. Try to find one local and probably cheaper than the ice places and no shipping fees. You don't need anything huge to practice skating, just enough to stand and shoot on. Or use old rollerblades to start for cheap. I splurged and got this: http://globalsyntheticice.com/GSIAllStarSystem.aspx It has helped me improve my on ice balance/technique.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote