HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The best team ever but with a twist

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2011, 04:31 PM
  #1
chcl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
The best team ever but with a twist

This thread is not about greatness or how good people were relative to the other teams when they played. This is about the best team ever.

So let us pretend we have a time machine and using this we can pick any NHL team from any season.

This team would be given modern day equipment (if needed) and 3 months to prepare before participating in the 2011/2012 NHL season.

Which team would dominate the most?

chcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:18 PM
  #2
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chcl View Post
This thread is not about greatness or how good people were relative to the other teams when they played. This is about the best team ever.

So let us pretend we have a time machine and using this we can pick any NHL team from any season.

This team would be given modern day equipment (if needed) and 3 months to prepare before participating in the 2011/2012 NHL season.

Which team would dominate the most?
2002 Wings (assuming they wouldn't get older with time travel^^)

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:21 PM
  #3
TheIceShotMe
Rookie User
 
TheIceShotMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
2002 Wings (assuming they wouldn't get older with time travel^^)
Agree.

TheIceShotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:25 PM
  #4
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,091
vCash: 500
1985, 86 or 87 Oilers. Before the Coffey trade. They would eat up the new rules for breakfast. No redline! 4 on 4 play?!?!?

Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Tikkanen, Nilson maybe... they would eat up no redline. Their speed and talent would be unassailable, some of the bottom parts of the team could be weak but the top end talent would see them through.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:35 PM
  #5
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
1985, 86 or 87 Oilers. Before the Coffey trade. They would eat up the new rules for breakfast. No redline! 4 on 4 play?!?!?

Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Tikkanen, Nilson maybe... they would eat up no redline. Their speed and talent would be unassailable, some of the bottom parts of the team could be weak but the top end talent would see them through.
There was nothing weak at all about the bottom end of those teams. In fact, the Oiler's depth is often very underrated.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 06:59 PM
  #6
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
1985, 86 or 87 Oilers. Before the Coffey trade. They would eat up the new rules for breakfast. No redline! 4 on 4 play?!?!?

Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Tikkanen, Nilson maybe... they would eat up no redline. Their speed and talent would be unassailable, some of the bottom parts of the team could be weak but the top end talent would see them through.
I gotta agree. Those teams built with speed would be devastating today.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:58 PM
  #7
evilstanley
Registered User
 
evilstanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: montréal, stie
Country: Hungary
Posts: 501
vCash: 500
ummmmmmm

1976-77 Habs and its not even close.

seriously

evilstanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:19 PM
  #8
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,930
vCash: 500
Why does this team from the past only get 3 months to prepare?

Is this 3 months of practice or 3 months worth of games?

The biggest difference from pre-1980 hockey is the short shift game, and I don't think practice would be enough for older players to get used to it.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.