HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Washington Capitals @ Toronto Maple Leafs 11.19.2011 7:00 pm

Old
11-21-2011, 04:34 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
They'll probably send him back once Green is healthy unless he's PPG or something. Similar to what's going on with Voynov in LA. Doubt he'll be much better than Alzner when he was first called up (and then sent down despite our blueline being crappier, though he looked great).
Orlov has one nice weapon - the possible best shot of any our Dman. And he's lefty.

Turnovers - not much of a problem while Wideman/Carlson suck as it is already.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:22 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
From my days chilling at Kettler, two things I realized about Orlov, he was the only defensemen in the organization willing to attempt an open ice hit, and probably still is. And that he has great hand eye coordination.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:43 AM
txpd

erskine hits in open ice. green has done it with some regularity as those things go. carlson will hit in open ice. open ice hitting is stepping up in the play and risky even when the hit comes off well.

do you use training camp as a basis to judge things like big hits?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:18 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
erskine hits in open ice. green has done it with some regularity as those things go. carlson will hit in open ice. open ice hitting is stepping up in the play and risky even when the hit comes off well.

do you use training camp as a basis to judge things like big hits?
You should have no problem recalling this seasons best D open ice hit then, or even calling up a youtube of it. Hook me up, I don't remember one.

I have no problem using camps to grade the orgs players, since its the only place for me to see all of them. Too bad for you out of towners, otherwise you would see how easy it is to grade the organEZEzation as a whole via the Kettle camps. If guys arent bringing their game in camp, it's probably dumb, but it's out of my control. I can only go by what I see.

Old
11-21-2011, 11:19 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

I seriously can't believe BB is still the coach. What if this team gets bombed again tonight with no pulse? Maybe that Sid return will juice them up for some strange reason.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
txpd

seriously? mcphee fired hanlon after a post game presser where hanlon sounded like he had given up. mcphee just doesnt fly that way or leonsis doesnt. mcphee requires leonsis sign off before he makes a move like that.

if the caps get blown out again tonight, thats another brick in the wall. but, what if.....what if the caps win?

rh....the caps hits are all youtubed? i didnt know that.

Old
11-21-2011, 11:58 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
mcphee requires leonsis sign off before he makes a move like that.
Nope.

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/leo...nds-15583.html

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:09 PM
third man in

McPhee must really be enamored with this 2012 draft class.

That's all I have at this point.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:21 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
seriously? mcphee fired hanlon after a post game presser where hanlon sounded like he had given up. mcphee just doesnt fly that way or leonsis doesnt. mcphee requires leonsis sign off before he makes a move like that.

if the caps get blown out again tonight, thats another brick in the wall. but, what if.....what if the caps win?
one win is going to change the past 1.5 years of this general malaise?

Old
11-21-2011, 12:34 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
i believe that. i also believe that mcphee has said several times about firing hanlon that he decided they needed a change and called patrick who called leonsis and they had a meeting to discuss what to do.

maybe its just a matter of informing, but even with that if leonsis decents, its his team.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:35 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
one win is going to change the past 1.5 years of this general malaise?
sure...just as much as a couple of bad losses erases the playoff drive and system changes that took the team to first in the east last season. you would describe that and the way they played v the rangers as malaise?

Old
11-21-2011, 12:52 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
sure...just as much as a couple of bad losses erases the playoff drive and system changes that took the team to first in the east last season. you would describe that and the way they played v the rangers as malaise?
They did well against a ****** NY team...great. But their season was meh (we all know it was despite the 1st seed) and then they get embarrassed by the Lightning.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
You should have no problem recalling this seasons best D open ice hit then, or even calling up a youtube of it. Hook me up, I don't remember one.

I have no problem using camps to grade the orgs players, since its the only place for me to see all of them. Too bad for you out of towners, otherwise you would see how easy it is to grade the organEZEzation as a whole via the Kettle camps. If guys arent bringing their game in camp, it's probably dumb, but it's out of my control. I can only go by what I see.
You don't remember one, because there wasn't one.
Even thou open ice hits are not the most important part of the game, sometimes they can become turning points... One hit can totally change the whole complexion of the game. With one hit the whole team can get reenergized. So, i'm with you, if we have a hitter in the minors, bring him in, if anything just to gain some experience.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:20 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
You don't remember one, because there wasn't one.
Even thou open ice hits are not the most important part of the game, sometimes they can become turning points... One hit can totally change the whole complexion of the game. With one hit the whole team can get reenergized. So, i'm with you, if we have a hitter in the minors, bring him in, if anything just to gain some experience.
Thank you. There are none. Sure, the open ice hit is probably a lost art. Soon to follow it appears, hitting completely, now that S1d is back online.

Back in the Stevens era, moving up on a forward crossing the blue almost every game, head down looking to pass etc, he sprung many many odd man rushes the other way. Put fear into forwards, that may just dump it in next time. Created energy for the team and crowd, which feed off of each other.

I think it would be nice to see Bruce command his team to finish his checks for a game. Being nice to our opponents over the past 4 years hasnt helped our cause. Erskine Brouwer and Ovi need help. I dont believe guys that don't hit, cannot hit - I have seen them start every playoffs every year we make it.

Prepare the team for the playoffs. Piss off some opponents, take out some aggression by more than frigging skating everywhere and after every loss. Heck, even have defensemen try an open ice hit, since our centers are always covering the step ups anyways. I think the team would find some direction, and may realize it leads to wins. Teams have won in the playoffs by doing that for a long time. Instead of outwerkem, let's try and force some turnovers on both ends.

Our team appears so lost right now, we have no identity, no playstyle, no direction. Just Ovi if the crowd cheers loud enough to get him fired up.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 11-21-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old
11-21-2011, 02:13 PM
ReggietheSavage15

When has Carlson thrown a hit in the neutral zone? Honestly, I can't ever remember him having a "Doig-like" hit....no knock on Carlson, but he's not overly physical.

ReggietheSavage15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

if continued embarrassment triggers change from higher powers, then **** it, im rooting for 6-0 phoenix.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:43 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggietheSavage15 View Post
When has Carlson thrown a hit in the neutral zone? Honestly, I can't ever remember him having a "Doig-like" hit....no knock on Carlson, but he's not overly physical.
I have seen him throw some hits along the neutral zone boards, but never in open ice. He may not hit often but I think he is our 2nd most active hittter on defense. With Erskine up in the box, I think it's him. Who knew.

It's too bad the league doesn't logs bodychecks. Not all hits need to create a turnover to have an effect on the game. A dman knocks a forward on his ass as the goalie scrambles to cover a loose puck > turnover.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

BTW....and I don't know if this was brought up....but Steckel looked like a MUCH better skater out there against the Leafs. I wonder if someone finally got him some powerskating help and got him in shape. Looked like a completely different skater to me.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:26 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Or it just shows you how REALLY lazy the caps were! Stecks looks fast!

I just hope the Caps aren't his new Tampa.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote