HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fighting going away in hockey?

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Fighting going away in hockey?

Over at STLToday.com, JR hosts his weekly chat where fans can send in questions to be answered.

One question he answered was about the future of fighting in the game of hockey and JR said he actually expects a day to come where it no longer is a part of the game at all because he fears that the day will come where someone doesn't get back up after a fight.

Now while that is obviously something nobody wants to see happen, I can't imagine having hockey without having fighting as a part of it.

Thought this was an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of and wondered what others thought of it.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:41 AM
actionhank1786

vCash: 500
I don't think it will ever go away.
They have all the rules for it now, and it's the same as hitting.
They do what they can to make something that has the potential to be dangerous, as safe as they can make it.
So while they may make more rules, i don't see them ever getting rid of it. It's part of the sport.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:09 PM
BluesRiver

I have no problem whatsoever with banishing fighting in hockey. Players are bigger and more powerful now. The "sending a message" bit still get across without a distraction. Most fights now are slow, awkward dances during which few punches are connected.

No fighting=no goons=better hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I sued to love watching Sutter and Secord go at it, but now it is a relic.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:12 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
There will always be fighting, there just won't be as much. There are still players, like Lucic who are skilled enough, but still play tough and can sometimes get out of line like the Miller hit, where a fight is needed. It will be a long time before all the Tootoo's are gone and I doubt they are ever gone, so as long as those pests are here, fighting will still be in hockey.

In response to JR's reasoning, fights today are not like fights in the past where they were complete blood baths. Yes enforcers today train more like MMA fighters, but I think they end the fights before they get too bad and the is a general respect between the fighters to not take it to the extreme that JR brings up.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:22 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesRiver View Post
I have no problem whatsoever with banishing fighting in hockey. Players are bigger and more powerful now. The "sending a message" bit still get across without a distraction. Most fights now are slow, awkward dances during which few punches are connected.

No fighting=no goons=better hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I sued to love watching Sutter and Secord go at it, but now it is a relic.
I kind of agree with this.

I don't mind that there is some fighting in hockey, but I would be happy to see the designated goons go the way of the dinosaur. The rules as they are today don't really allow for enforcers to be effective. Does a fight between two goons, agreed to ahead of time, really prevent Sean Avery from taking liberties? No. Someone has to do something to Sean Avery for that to happen. (Don't get too caught up on my specific example....maybe Avery is a bad choice here).

I'm cool with Backes fighting Iginla, although I'm sure most organizations would rather NOT see those guys fighting much. I just would rather see more skill on the 4th line, which leaves little room for goons.

The final nail, though, is that the teams that are winning the Cups are not usually carrying a lot of fighters. Maybe even in the regular season they do, but by playoff time no one can afford to have those guys on the roster. I'd rather see playoff caliber hockey all the time.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:44 PM
EOM

I don't mind seeing players fight to vent their frustrations, settle a score, etc. but I'm sick of seeing those stupid staged fights between players who are otherwise completely useless. I'm so glad Janssen is no longer a Blue.

Old
11-19-2011, 01:28 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

I think what gets in the way here is that most like a good fight, I also.

But is it necessary is the question? I've answered this question many times on other forums and I believe the sideshow fight is just a waste of time, sure it can get a team fired up from time to time. But I would have to say they're not necessary any longer, because like it was said in a previous post these guys don't even suit up during the playoffs. So how important can it really be?

The fact is it still sells some tickets.

Old
11-19-2011, 02:28 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

I think fighting in hockey will always be necessary. You have a conglomerate of well-conditioned, fiercely competitive athletes(with composite clubs in their hands and razor sharp knives strapped to their feet) whose livelihoods may be on the line with every win or loss. I think it is necessary to give those players a relatively safe outlet to vent their frustrations with each other. I think if you get rid of fighting you would see a rise in dirty and dangerous plays(e.g. the McSorely/Brashear incident).

Old
11-19-2011, 02:39 PM
SteenMachine

Hell with the way the refs "police the game" on the bad nights it wouldn't hurt to have the players do it themselves again. I think it really comes down to, do we just accept that the Instigator rule is going to put a slow and steady end to the need for it more so than is it useful anymore. It used to be about making guys play honest, and respecting the rules when matched up against talented players that make the tough guys team win. Now it's just kind of a quick showdown that leads to minor injuries and buys time for the bench to catch their breath.

Old
11-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Herb25*

Fighting and intimidation can and will always be a useful tactic in winning hockey games.

Old
11-19-2011, 04:09 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I kind of agree with this.

I don't mind that there is some fighting in hockey, but I would be happy to see the designated goons go the way of the dinosaur. The rules as they are today don't really allow for enforcers to be effective. Does a fight between two goons, agreed to ahead of time, really prevent Sean Avery from taking liberties? No. Someone has to do something to Sean Avery for that to happen. (Don't get too caught up on my specific example....maybe Avery is a bad choice here).

I'm cool with Backes fighting Iginla, although I'm sure most organizations would rather NOT see those guys fighting much. I just would rather see more skill on the 4th line, which leaves little room for goons.

The final nail, though, is that the teams that are winning the Cups are not usually carrying a lot of fighters. Maybe even in the regular season they do, but by playoff time no one can afford to have those guys on the roster. I'd rather see playoff caliber hockey all the time.
The last paragraph is very important. In years past it was always the top 6 and bottom 6 lines, but now it is more top 9 and the 4th line. The Janssen's, Twist's, Chase's are a dying breed. The fighters today have to be able to contribute something else to the team. Reaves is a very good grinder and has good hands for an enforcer, so he makes for a useful 4th liner. But the players that are on a team strictly for fighting are becoming scarce in the NHL.

Old
11-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Herb25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
The last paragraph is very important. In years past it was always the top 6 and bottom 6 lines, but now it is more top 9 and the 4th line. The Janssen's, Twist's, Chase's are a dying breed. The fighters today have to be able to contribute something else to the team. Reaves is a very good grinder and has good hands for an enforcer, so he makes for a useful 4th liner. But the players that are on a team strictly for fighting are becoming scarce in the NHL.
Jody Shelley
Kevin Westgarth
George Parros/Brookbank
Matt Kassian
Brian McGrattan/Stortini
Steve McIntyre
John Scott
DJ King (there if needed)
Cam Janssen/Eric Boulton
Colton Orr
Zenon Konopka/Neil/Carkner
Trevor Gillies
Darcy Hordichuk
Paul Bissonette
Frazer McLaren (there if they needed)
Shawn Thornton
Letourneau-Leblond/Ivanans (there if needed)
Bass/Dorsett/Boll

I wouldn't call them "scarce" just yet.

Old
11-19-2011, 04:55 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb25 View Post
Jody Shelley
Kevin Westgarth
George Parros/Brookbank
Matt Kassian
Brian McGrattan/Stortini
Steve McIntyre
John Scott
Cam Janssen/Eric Boulton
Colton Orr
Trevor Gillies
Darcy Hordichuk
Paul Bissonette
Shawn Thornton
Bass/Dorsett/Boll

At most you have one heavyweight and 2 middleweights per team.
Sorry, but that is a MASSIVE decrease from what we saw even in the mid-90's where teams would carry a full line of middleweights, 2 heavy's and an agitator as their bottom 6.

Even among today's heavyweights, most of them are more than just fighters.
Scott and Carkner are solid enough as 3rd pairing D men(slow but decent at patrolling the crease).
Hordichuk, Parros, Konopka, Boulton, Thornton, Orr and several others are good enough defensively to play the PK if needed and a few of them can even notch 10 or so points a year(Neil, Thornton, Konopka, etc).

Pure enforcers like Twist used to be are dying out of the NHL. Teams are figuring out that you have to be able to at least play solid defense or you're a liability to the team.

Old
11-19-2011, 04:58 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb25 View Post
Jody Shelley
Kevin Westgarth
George Parros/Brookbank
Matt Kassian
Brian McGrattan/Stortini
Steve McIntyre
John Scott
Cam Janssen/Eric Boulton
Colton Orr
Trevor Gillies
Darcy Hordichuk
Paul Bissonette
Shawn Thornton
Bass/Dorsett/Boll

How many of these guys were on playoff rosters? How many played at all in the playoffs? I'm genuinely curious. My impression is that most of these guys are put up in mothballs for the post-season.

Old
11-19-2011, 05:37 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
I think fighting in hockey will always be necessary. You have a conglomerate of well-conditioned, fiercely competitive athletes(with composite clubs in their hands and razor sharp knives strapped to their feet) whose livelihoods may be on the line with every win or loss. I think it is necessary to give those players a relatively safe outlet to vent their frustrations with each other. I think if you get rid of fighting you would see a rise in dirty and dangerous plays(e.g. the McSorely/Brashear incident).

There is a relatively safe outlet to vent frustration and get revenge; hitting. Good, clean hitting.

Old
11-19-2011, 06:41 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
There is a relatively safe outlet to vent frustration and get revenge; hitting. Good, clean hitting.

The NHL isn't effective at keeping hitting clean and discouraging dirty play with fighting, I don't believe the league would be able to do it without fighting.

If the NHL bans fighting, it would be stepping on the heritage of the game. Those are the type of changes that would make die hard fans question their allegiance to the league.

Old
11-19-2011, 07:01 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
The NHL isn't effective at keeping hitting clean and discouraging dirty play with fighting, I don't believe the league would be able to do it without fighting.

If the NHL bans fighting, it would be stepping on the heritage of the game. Those are the type of changes that would make die hard fans question their allegiance to the league.
Then I guess that would be in line with the old saying, "out with the old, in with the new".

If so-called die-hard fans are pugilistic barbarians, then turning them away through the banishment of fighting is fine with me.

Old
11-19-2011, 07:12 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Then I guess that would be in line with the old saying, "out with the old, in with the new".

If so-called die-hard fans are pugilistic barbarians, then turning them away through the banishment of fighting is fine with me.

If so-called new generation fans are delicate pacifists, then turning them away through the banishment of the instigator penalty is fine with me.

The NHL isn't doing so well that it can afford to get rid of its longtime loyal fanbase. The NHL is a fringe sport in the US, drawing new fans is much harder than keeping its current fanbase.

Old
11-19-2011, 07:38 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
If so-called new generation fans are delicate pacifists, then turning them away through the banishment of the instigator penalty is fine with me.

The NHL isn't doing so well that it can afford to get rid of its longtime loyal fanbase. The NHL is a fringe sport in the US, drawing new fans is much harder than keeping its current fanbase.
Yeah? Well...as a combat vet, pugilistic barbarian wannabes have the perspective of a gnat. I ain't no wannabe. BTDT

One of THE biggest threats to attracting new fans is that there is fighting in professional hockey. We could go on and on about this, but I'll refrain.

Old
11-19-2011, 08:05 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
pugilistic barbarian wannabes have the perspective of a gnat.

Sure!

Quote:
One of THE biggest threats to attracting new fans is that there is fighting in professional hockey.

I disagree. Hockey has never been the kind of sport that draws soccer moms and the over coddled. If you give up fighting, what's next? Hitting?

Old
11-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Fighting is part of hockey history and has its place. I see absolutely no reason to try to get rid of it. Its one of the distinguishing characteristics of the game.

It is also more morally acceptable IMO than most of the things you see on tv. So, if you are going to argue that it is barbaric or brutal, then I will respond by saying what else do you watch?

Old
11-19-2011, 08:18 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Fighting is part of hockey history and has its place. I see absolutely no reason to try to get rid of it. Its one of the distinguishing characteristics of the game.

It is also more morally acceptable IMO than most of the things you see on tv. So, if you are going to argue that it is barbaric or brutal, then I will respond by saying what else do you watch?
Ahh yes! Like any typical internet forum the conversation descends into attacking the credibility of the arguer rather than the argument.

buh bye

Old
11-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Ahh yes! Like any typical internet forum the conversation descends into attacking the credibility of the arguer rather than the argument.

buh bye
How am I attacking you?

Think about it this way, whats worse psychological attacks or physical attacks?

Are spearing, cross checking, vulnerable checks, head shots and slashes better than a squared up fight?

Is it more impressive that someone can pull finesse moves and fight when the time calls for it or having finesse players stick swing instead of square up and settle things?

Last edited by Celtic Note: 11-19-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old
11-19-2011, 08:57 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:

buh bye

No one is attacking you in this thread. Asking you to fill the holes in your own opinions isn't an attack.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:19 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:

buh bye
Cause bailing out on a conversation that isn't all about your opinion is the epitome of maturity?

For those that want some inside perspective on fighting's role in hockey I highly recommend reading the book The Code, has a lot of input from Twist and few of the other pure tough guys along with the history of "policing themselves", a breakdown of the Bertuzzi-Moore hit because it was relative when the book was written, and a ton of cool back story about players who threw down with or played against some of the memorable fighters anywhere from Probert to Gordie Howe. It also puts some strong arguments for and against the instigator rule and an explanation of its genesis.

http://www.amazon.com/Code-Unwritten.../dp/1572437561

Closed Thread