HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Fighting going away in hockey?

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2011, 08:39 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesRiver View Post
Yeah? Well...as a combat vet, pugilistic barbarian wannabes have the perspective of a gnat. I ain't no wannabe. BTDT

One of THE biggest threats to attracting new fans is that there is fighting in professional hockey. We could go on and on about this, but I'll refrain.
I disagree with this a 100%. Most casual non hockey fans I've talked to enjoy fighting. That is the one aspect of the game they look forward to.

Old
11-19-2011, 08:46 PM
BluesRiver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I disagree with this a 100%. Most casual non hockey fans I've talked to enjoy fighting. That is the one aspect of the game they look forward to.
We are talking about two different kinds of people. I am referring to non-fans. There have been countless times that I've heard non-fans of ice hockey who've said that they don't watch it because of the fighting.

But it doesn't matter.

It is a very simple equation. No fighting=no goons=better ice hockey.

No matter what you say goons suck at ice hockey. I want a better product on the ice.

If you really want fighting in your life, then go out and fight someone instead of playing the armchair general. Go fight someone instead of pretending this is Call of Duty or some smart bomb video game.

Old
11-19-2011, 08:50 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
We are talking about two different kinds of people. I am referring to non-fans. There have been countless times that I've heard non-fans of ice hockey who've said that they don't watch it because of the fighting.

But it doesn't matter.

No matter what you say goons suck at ice hockey. I want a better product on the ice.

If you really want fighting in your life, then go out and fight someone instead of playing the armchair general. Go fight someone instead of pretending this is Call of Duty or some smart bomb video game.
Leagues in general that have no fighting have more slashing and other things that cause more injuries in general then fighting does. Fights also can be huge momentum changers for a team. I personally thing that add to hockey. Some of the great players in history have also be apt at fighting.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:00 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:

What happens if the NHL takes out fighting to appease non-fans, and those non-fans still don't become fans?

Or...

What happens if the NHL takes out fighting to appease non-fans, and those non-fans continue to suggest that if the NHL would just remove hitting they could then become fans?

Generally people who don't like something need a reason to justify their dislike. Fighting is a pretty common excuse for that dislike because in recent years it has become somewhat controversial. I honestly believe that the people who don't watch hockey because of fighting, still wouldn't watch hockey without fighting.

If you are looking for a castrated game of hockey... Watch Soccer.

Last edited by The Grouch: 11-19-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old
11-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:

I modified the very simple equation. No fighting=more gutless plays=worse ice hockey.

As for the arm chair general/Call of Duty thing... Huh?

Old
11-19-2011, 09:23 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I modified the very simple equation. No fighting=more gutless plays=worse ice hockey.

As for the arm chair general/Call of Duty thing... Huh?
I'm talking about vicariously fulfilling your inner pugilistic barbarian by way of ice hockey fights or violent video games.

If you went out and actually fought someone face-to-face, then I think you would be less inclined to fighting.

Violent video games fulfill the "little boys" who fantasize about killing and fighting. But put yourself in a real situation and we'll see how much you really want to fight.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:34 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
I'm talking about vicariously fulfilling your inner pugilistic barbarian by way of ice hockey fights or violent video games.

If you went out and actually fought someone face-to-face, then I think you would be less inclined to fighting.

Violent video games fulfill the "little boys" who fantasize about killing and fighting. But put yourself in a real situation and we'll see how much you really want to fight.
Holy psych 101 batman!

Old
11-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:

You act as though you know me.

Have I ever fought? Sure, multiple times.

Would I fight again? I prefer not to, but if the situation calls for it then you do what you got to do. Especially when its to protect others...which is why I feel it is part of hockey, just as it is part of life.

It seems your pretty sensitive to the subject, so if something bad happened to you in this area of your life then sorry to hear that.

I still don't get why your talking down to people and making this about children and video games.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:18 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
You act as though you know me.

Have I ever fought? Sure, multiple times.

Would I fight again? I prefer not to, but if the situation calls for it then you do what you got to do. Especially when its to protect others...which is why I feel it is part of hockey, just as it is part of life.

It seems your pretty sensitive to the subject, so if something bad happened to you in this area of your life then sorry to hear that.

I still don't get why your talking down to people and making this about children and video games.
You asked me to provide a deeper explanation of my stance. Sorry you don't like it.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:19 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:

So what is happening now? You've completely abandoned any argument about hockey and have instead decided to question the psychological motivations of someone who prefers fighting in hockey?

If you are that concerned about violence in video games, I suggest you contact Tipper Gore.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:43 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
So what is happening now? You've completely abandoned any argument about hockey and have instead decided to question the psychological motivations of someone who prefers fighting in hockey?

If you are that concerned about violence in video games, I suggest you contact Tipper Gore.
Yes that is exactly what I am doing. Anything else honey? No? Alrighty then!

I'm sorry the shoe fits and that my incisive instincts have cut your heart out. Now go back to your fantasy video games.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:46 PM
BluesRiver

No matter what anyone says I remain steadfast that fighting in ice hockey is a huge distraction and having goons in the games takes away from skilled players. You can try to get in MY head, but I am better at parsing out motivations than you are.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:48 PM
BluesRiver

Can we move on now?

Old
11-19-2011, 10:52 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

edited in the name of harmony

Old
11-19-2011, 10:53 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Can we move on now?

Yes!

Old
11-19-2011, 11:01 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
Yes!
Regarding the irony, I tried not to "go there", but I can and when I do I do it well.

It's official. Moving on now.

Old
11-20-2011, 02:28 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
My wife is gradually becoming a casual fan, but she gets really uncomfortable with the fighting. I think the fighting prevents her from getting more engaged with the team.

On the other hand, I think its part of the game, and I think the instigator rule may be preventing enforcers from being effective at actually policing dirty play. So...if they can't do their jobs, maybe the fighting itself is less important.

Old
11-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

vCash: 50
The instigator rule has to go away. So incredibly stupid.

I don't mind having less guys in the league like Cam Janssen (no offense Cam fans) who are there SOLELY to drop the gloves, but part of the appeal of the game is the physicality. Can't lose that. It isn't meant to be soccer on ice

Old
11-20-2011, 02:11 PM
SteenMachine

Fighting is such a minor event over the course of the game as well. It's not like we see bench clearing brawls, it's a quick scrap that ends in someone losing balance more often than not. It'd be like people saying "oh man I just can't watch Nascaar because they crash, at all, ever."

Old
11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Herb25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
On the other hand, I think its part of the game, and I think the instigator rule may be preventing enforcers from being effective at actually policing dirty play. So...if they can't do their jobs, maybe the fighting itself is less important.
News Article: Penalty Box Does NOT Reform Players

Neither does a little instigator penalty deter enforcers from holding dirty players accountable from taking liberties on their star players or teammates. Players that fight while hiding behind their faceshields also receive an instigator penalty, it happens almost every night in the NHL.

Last edited by Herb25*: 11-21-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Closed Thread