HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is Happening at My University

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2011, 02:59 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

vCash: 500
This is Happening at My University

This is completely off-topic, but since the Canes have a day off I figured we could all get pissed over something else. I attend UC Davis, and yesterday this happened on campus

There was a peaceful Occupy Davis student rally that had set up some tents on our large, public field called the Quad. After they refused to leave, the university sent riot police to pepper spray and arrest students. For you college-age Caniacs, is **** like this happening at your universities too? I think it's a shame that bright young students are treated like this for protesting an unfair government and a UC system that's increasing our tuition 8-16% annually for the next 4 years.

I'll be at Monday's protest. Hope I don't get pepper-sprayed!

Old
11-19-2011, 03:41 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

When I was up in Boone last some hippies were "occupying Boone" in front of the Jimmy Johns downtown. I told them to step aside, I have sandwiches to consume.

Old
11-19-2011, 04:03 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

These guys were only occupying lecture halls and the Quad. No food institutions were affected, thank goodness

Old
11-19-2011, 04:21 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
When I was up in Boone last some hippies were "occupying Boone" in front of the Jimmy Johns downtown. I told them to step aside, I have sandwiches to consume.
I go to school in Boone so I see those guys a lot. One guy chained himself to a statue outside the student union saying that he wouldn't leave until the occupiers achieved their goal but he was gone by the weekend

Old
11-19-2011, 04:21 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Chad Larose has been Occupying the first line, much to the chagrin of the haters.

Old
11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

I saw flyers at Boone's "mall" to Occupy Boone. I mean really? Boone? I guess the hippies here are getting bored.

Old
11-19-2011, 05:17 PM
normalpsychology

vCash: 50
Yeah I had to navigate through a jumble of tents and some nasty people to mail two packages the other day in Chapel Hill after my classes.

Old
11-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Mr America

Those hippies should have either done what the police said or brought their own weapons. This whole occupy thing has gotten way out of hand. I would never say the represented me in any way.

Nobody takes them seriously.

Old
11-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Gibson19

Nope. Then again I don't know the happenings of college life. Don't kid yourself, they are no all bright students. A bright would have realized that they were being ordered to disperse and not gotten pepper sprayed.

Also that tuition hike is the governments fault. Since UC Davis is a public school, the government has cut funding. Without that funding they need more tuition revenue to stay running. It's happening to every school

The OWS movement for the most part is misguided, poorly managed, and insignificant. If you really think businesses are gonna change the way they run because a handful of people in cities across the US, you're dead wrong. The movement is purely symbolic. Until they can wean themselves off all the goods produced by big business that they consume daily, their message means nothing.

In summary: Occupy the Government

Old
11-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan793 View Post
I go to school in Boone so I see those guys a lot. One guy chained himself to a statue outside the student union saying that he wouldn't leave until the occupiers achieved their goal but he was gone by the weekend
Did he happen to state what their goal actually is?

Old
11-19-2011, 05:44 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Yeah the 'Occupy' thing has been going on at just about every University in North Carolina.

Charlotte is hosting the DNC in about 10 months, **** might get crazy.

Old
11-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Yeah the 'Occupy' thing has been going on at just about every University in North Carolina.

Charlotte is hosting the DNC in about 10 months, **** might get crazy.
If I'm off work, I might take a trip to Charlotte, just to see the potential ****storm.

Old
11-19-2011, 06:10 PM
snakepliskin

with working a 52 hour work week combined with my life mission to rid the organization of paul maurice i sure don't have time to waste on unemployed hippie wannabees

Old
11-19-2011, 08:28 PM
NorthStar4Canes

I'd rank that only as about a "2" on the riot police vs.whoever fun scale and feel absolutely no indignation or sympathy at all. Too staged, involved no blood, bricks, or bullets, and I just can't relate to college kids who prioritize a nebulous, pretend-serious "cause" over keggers and getting laid.

The clash down the road here in Cairo yesterday was way, way better. A solid 7.5 performance by police and protesters.

Old
11-19-2011, 08:48 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
I'd rank that only as about a "2" on the riot police vs.whoever fun scale and feel absolutely no indignation or sympathy at all. Too staged, involved no blood, bricks, or bullets, and I just can't relate to college kids who prioritize a nebulous, pretend-serious "cause" over keggers and getting laid.

The clash down the road here in Cairo yesterday was way, way better. A solid 7.5 performance by police and protesters.
So... any Molotov cocktails?

Old
11-20-2011, 05:10 AM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
So... any Molotov cocktails?
With no dog in the fight here, it's just the regular kind for me. Doubles. But for them, oh sure. Anything flammable or solid that can be hurled (and hurled back once the rubber bullets run low or while resting between administering beatdowns). I "participate" by steering clear of these kind of real riot deals where the random death(s) barely gets a mention because they're common.

So nah, can't get too excited about college-campus kiddie...I mean "occupiers".. who get pepper-sprayed only because the cops aren't allowed to bust their heads like in a proper dust-up. The doings of hippie-pretenders concern me just about as much as LaRose playing on the 1st line does.

Cheers!

Old
11-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Get the **** out when told to leave property that is not yours. It's quite ****ing simple. I don't feel bad for anyone getting hosed with pepper spray that breaks the law and refuses to cooperate.

Old
11-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Vakarian View Post
If I'm off work, I might take a trip to Charlotte, just to see the potential ****storm.
I'm assigned to work security detail for DNC. I'm thinking my hands will be full

Old
11-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTON HIS HOLINESS View Post
This is completely off-topic, but since the Canes have a day off I figured we could all get pissed over something else. I attend UC Davis, and yesterday this happened on campus

There was a peaceful Occupy Davis student rally that had set up some tents on our large, public field called the Quad. After they refused to leave, the university sent riot police to pepper spray and arrest students. For you college-age Caniacs, is **** like this happening at your universities too? I think it's a shame that bright young students are treated like this for protesting an unfair government and a UC system that's increasing our tuition 8-16% annually for the next 4 years.

I'll be at Monday's protest. Hope I don't get pepper-sprayed!
Update. Hoping ur nose is running by now . Snot not blood btw.

Old
11-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

I'm in a much less liberal state than y'all, keep this in mind.

A bunch of older hippies talking about injustice or whatever got in front of the state house and started tearing down the christmas tree. THE CHRISTMAS TREE. Needless to say it didn't even require the police to disperse those weirdos.

Old
11-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Mr America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Get the **** out when told to leave property that is not yours. It's quite ****ing simple. I don't feel bad for anyone getting hosed with pepper spray that breaks the law and refuses to cooperate.
But see, they try to argue that they are "occupying" public property, i.e. their property also.

However, Stossel, or maybe it was Judge Napolitano, did a great job of explaining why they shouldn't be up to all the BS they are, even if it is public property.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:52 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Did he happen to state what their goal actually is?
Nope. So it was pretty strange.

Old
11-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
But see, they try to argue that they are "occupying" public property, i.e. their property also.

However, Stossel, or maybe it was Judge Napolitano, did a great job of explaining why they shouldn't be up to all the BS they are, even if it is public property.
The jail is owned by the government. Hope the idiots enjoying occupying their property

Old
11-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

This isn't necessarily the best place for this kind of discussion. There is, however, a political forum on here.