HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - The Consolidated List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2012, 12:10 PM
  #901
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,701
vCash: 130
So who wants Mike Green? lol

Seriously though, if we get Steen back before the trade deadline, I think Stewart could get traded. He isn't scoring, he wouldn't be in the top 6, and he doesn't help the bottom 6 with his floating ability.

Stewart has Fernando Torres syndrome and recovering from that is no guarantee.

I just have one of those feelings like last season with EJ. Army has surprised us before and I'm almost expecting to be surprised again.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
  #902
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
So who wants Mike Green? lol

Seriously though, if we get Steen back before the trade deadline, I think Stewart could get traded. He isn't scoring, he wouldn't be in the top 6, and he doesn't help the bottom 6 with his floating ability.

Stewart has Fernando Torres syndrome and recovering from that is no guarantee.

I just have one of those feelings like last season with EJ. Army has surprised us before and I'm almost expecting to be surprised again.
Stewart practicing on the 4th line with Porter and Nichol today. Carlo hurt his wrist during practice and left the ice. He hurt his shoulder at the end of the game last night. Huskins paired with Petro in practice. Arnott is practicing on the 3d line again (Sobotka/Crombeen) and Langenbrunner's up on the 2d line.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
  #903
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
So who wants Mike Green? lol

Seriously though, if we get Steen back before the trade deadline, I think Stewart could get traded. He isn't scoring, he wouldn't be in the top 6, and he doesn't help the bottom 6 with his floating ability.

Stewart has Fernando Torres syndrome and recovering from that is no guarantee.

I just have one of those feelings like last season with EJ. Army has surprised us before and I'm almost expecting to be surprised again.
Well we could use a winger to replace Stewart.

BlueBeard is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 12:31 PM
  #904
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,701
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Well we could use a winger to replace Stewart.
Nope, we obviously need more help on the right side of our defense and apparently Green and Subban are 2 players that we would love to have. Apparently we have some interest in Schenn as well, so maybe we could dump Stewart for him.


bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:06 PM
  #905
BadgersandBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Hello everyone!

Hey there HF peeps! This is my first post on these boards. I've lurked for awhile, and I've been on the STL forums a bit, but I figured I'd finally say hello and start doing what everyone likes to do best, generate crazy trade proposals! (I know we have a sticky thread for this, all subsequent trade talk will be kept there)

How does everyone feel about Mark Streit? He has a reasonable cap hit at 4.1 million, signed for this season and next season. He is the Isles captain, and is a -very- good offensive d-man, who's.....ok in his own zone. He is 34, and not really "the guy" we want to pair with AP over the long run, but might be a decent short term fix while we wait for Cole to develop. Only thing is, I don't know who we give up in order to make salaries even.....thoughts? Flame on!

BadgersandBlues is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
  #906
BadgersandBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
A player I really covet is Marc Staal. He hasn't played as well since he returned from his concussion (That his brother gave him lol) but a lot of that might come from the fact that he's now playing with a new D partner, and he isn't getting the PP time he once did. However, he has a really solid contract, he's only 25, and he's effing huge, not to mention he has the pedigree of a Staal.

I think that the Rangers might actually be willing to trade him after what happened this year with McDonagh and MDZ really coming into their own, and all the depth they have at LHD, both on their main roster and in their system. The Rangers need some supplementary scoring help, mainly they need a guy that can put the puck in the net. If Stewart gets hot over the end of the season and into the playoffs, I would -love- to trade him and maybe a pick for Staal. (Once we have Tank signed)

BadgersandBlues is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:35 PM
  #907
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Welcome over here Badgers. Staal would be a great acquisition. He may be having that same thing the players talk about with the adjustment time after a concussion.

I think the price tag would still be really high despite the success of MDZ and McDonagh and Stewart would have to really pick up the pace to get to the point where the Rangers would be tempted for that trade.

I'm trying to get a better sense of the Yandle & Gormley situation in Phoenix. They will need offensive help with Turris sent packing and Whitney retiring soon and their propsect system pretty bare on forwards. Gormley shoots left but they're plugging him in on the right side (maybe just because OEL and Yandle aren't moving from the left plus they have Klesla finally healthy over there). I recall being impressed by Gormley in WJCs and no doubt he would cost a ton ala Schwartz/Tarasenko would for someone to get that kind of prospect from us but I can't remember if he played the right or left side. If he's a right side only dman, I wonder whether the Blues could put together a serious package for Yandle. I covet him as much as Ryan or Parise or Suter. I doubt he's available.

As simon in canada suggested in a post a page or two back, perhaps the way to go is young prospect 1-2 years removed from the draft for Stewart, once Tarasenko is signed. Brodin for Minnesota's a lefty, Siemens is a lefty, that's what had me thinking about Gormley given Phoenix' stacked left side.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
  #908
EOM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,341
vCash: 500
I don't think Marc Staal or Yandle would be available for a price the Blues would be willing to pay.

EOM is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
  #909
Renard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIE RAY BLUES View Post
H22: I get your point, really I do but my arguement against standing pat is that the goal is to win the cup not just contend. The facts are clear....We cant beat Detroit in a playoff series...Hell guys I'm not even down on our team but we can't seem to beat Nashville or Columbus when we play them. I'd have to say a nightmare matchup for us would be Nashville. So please don't tell me were ready for a run at the cup. Also great teams make moves....Armstrong knows this he did it in Dallas..and has done it so far here... Detroit does it almost every year..How many times at the deadline have we watched the wings make a move and said to ourselves...Great it just got that much harder to take them out! I don't think we should give up core players and I include stewart in that mix mostly because he is a Dustin Buflin sp. type who should excell in the playoffs...But standing pat won't lead to a Market St. parade. Not this year.
I agree that we should make a move for a center if the right player is available, even if it means giving up one of our treasured prospects.

If we wait till next year, there is no certainty we will be better. Will Tarasenko come over from Russia? Will Schwart leave college and join the team? Will both live up to expectations?

I was a fan when we had the great team here in '80-'81. We had a ton of young talent at that time, including Liut, Sutter, Federko, Babich and Turnbull. We didn't go far in the playoffs that year, but I had no doubt that we would be a dominant team that next yead. All we needed a physical defenseman, but I thought we would get one in the offseason.

Unfortunately, Wayne Babich hurt his shoulder in a pre-season fight, and he was never the same. Liut wasn't as good either. We traded a lot of our depth to get Scott Campbell, and he only played 4 or 5 games with us, but gave up hockey because of headaches. Turnbull (a second overall pick) never panned out.

The point is - if you think you are close, take a shot at the cup. I'm not positive that one man can get us there, but I am positive that without an upgrade at center, we won't get there.

Renard is online now  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
  #910
britishblue
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
welcome. the isles are only 6 points out of the playoffs and have actually been on a pretty good run recently 5-3-2. especially when you consider that both 8th placed toronto (4 game losing streak) and 7th placed ottawa (2 wins in their last 10) seem to be sliding. combine the fact he is their captain with the reality that besides streit their d is neither productive or particularly good, and the chances he is moved are pretty slim.

i'm a big fan of streit and think he would be an ideal short term partner for petro, but i just don't see the isles moving him.

britishblue is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
  #911
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Not before the deadline, certainly. Perhaps not ever. Phoenix has a thread about the deadline that was around 14 pages when I perused it the other day and in it they discuss long term what to do. The majority opinion is Yandle's not going anywhere but I was surprised to read of a minority opinion that said move him to get a return. He is one of those players that the Blues would have to think about putting together a strong package if you could get him. It's way too early to know what would be asked. But if Stewart rebounded, according to the kimzey model, maybe Stewart + Cole/Rattie + 1st would be attractive to them. Stewart would have to get over 20 goals by the end of the season to even think about it.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 02:08 PM
  #912
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Not before the deadline, certainly. Perhaps not ever. Phoenix has a thread about the deadline that was around 14 pages when I perused it the other day and in it they discuss long term what to do. The majority opinion is Yandle's not going anywhere but I was surprised to read of a minority opinion that said move him to get a return. He is one of those players that the Blues would have to think about putting together a strong package if you could get him. It's way too early to know what would be asked. But if Stewart rebounded, according to the kimzey model, maybe Stewart + Cole/Rattie + 1st would be attractive to them. Stewart would have to get over 20 goals by the end of the season to even think about it.
The thing I worry about with a guy like Yandle is at what point does a a guy who's fairly dynamic start to limit Pietrangelo's ability to be creative in the offensive zone. I know Pietrangelo is smart enough to make the correct reads to let his partner pinch/rush/etc but does Yandle possess the same intelligence to let Pietrangelo do the same? I'm not saying he can't, but if we get a guy like him and the pairing doesn't work because of issues like that, then we're back in the same boat we are now. Well a bit nicer boat but still...

BlueBeard is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
  #913
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Welcome over here Badgers. Staal would be a great acquisition. He may be having that same thing the players talk about with the adjustment time after a concussion.

I think the price tag would still be really high despite the success of MDZ and McDonagh and Stewart would have to really pick up the pace to get to the point where the Rangers would be tempted for that trade.

I'm trying to get a better sense of the Yandle & Gormley situation in Phoenix. They will need offensive help with Turris sent packing and Whitney retiring soon and their propsect system pretty bare on forwards. Gormley shoots left but they're plugging him in on the right side (maybe just because OEL and Yandle aren't moving from the left plus they have Klesla finally healthy over there). I recall being impressed by Gormley in WJCs and no doubt he would cost a ton ala Schwartz/Tarasenko would for someone to get that kind of prospect from us but I can't remember if he played the right or left side. If he's a right side only dman, I wonder whether the Blues could put together a serious package for Yandle. I covet him as much as Ryan or Parise or Suter. I doubt he's available.

As simon in canada suggested in a post a page or two back, perhaps the way to go is young prospect 1-2 years removed from the draft for Stewart, once Tarasenko is signed. Brodin for Minnesota's a lefty, Siemens is a lefty, that's what had me thinking about Gormley given Phoenix' stacked left side.
Gormley is naturally left sided, I don't recall ever seeing him play right. The fact the Coyotes have so much strength on the left, and Gormley is the best defenseman not in the NHL basically means they think that he will be shoehorned into the team in any way they can. Maybe that will be the case, and Phoenix are confident that transition won't be any problem. In which case we would have zero chance of getting.

As I said earlier, if we could get Gormley and Whitney for Stewart, Rattie and a second then I would certainly make that deal. I'd be willing to move Schwartz for him, but not in a deal with Stewart or Rattie.

As for Yandle, if we want him it would cost us Backes. I can't see them being interested in moving him for anything less.

Alklha is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 04:11 PM
  #914
BadgersandBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
The thing I worry about with a guy like Yandle is at what point does a a guy who's fairly dynamic start to limit Pietrangelo's ability to be creative in the offensive zone. I know Pietrangelo is smart enough to make the correct reads to let his partner pinch/rush/etc but does Yandle possess the same intelligence to let Pietrangelo do the same? I'm not saying he can't, but if we get a guy like him and the pairing doesn't work because of issues like that, then we're back in the same boat we are now. Well a bit nicer boat but still...
This is the main reason why I feel like Staal would be a better choice then Yandle or Streit. He's more of a stay at home type guy, very physical, has offensive upside.....but doesn't -have- to generate offense to feel good. Yandle is no doubt amazing, but I'm not sure how I feel about putting two guys who are clearly offensively motivated together. AP is good enough to be in the right spots for Yandle to do his thing, but can we say the same about Yandle? Could you have imagined a D pairing of Paul Coffey and Sandis Ozolinsh? (sp) I think it would have been a disaster. I know Cola has been billed as a more offensive D-man, but I think Cola has learned that he will look good as long as he gives AP the puck and doesn't try to do too much, whereas someone like Yandle might be much less willing to defer.

I don't think we should really do much at the deadline, as this team has truthfully earned the right to play together in the playoffs, especially if we can ever get fully healthy. Scoring will probably be our downfall, but as Nacho said, we might just have to take this year on the chin and come back with our offensive cavalry (Tank/Schwartz/Rattie) coming over the horizon.

I'm excited as can be for this off-season though. I think this off-season is probably the most important in the last 10-12 years of Blues history. It's truly the start of our window for Cup runs, and we can all agree this team still needs to add some pieces. If we get this off-season "right" we will easily become one of "the teams" always in the talk of challenging for a Cup over the next 5-7 years. We need to get an owner in place so we have the financial stability to start locking up some guys that are clearly the core of this team. Those contracts will then let us know what kind of framework we have to go out and improve the team. Then we need to go find a long term partner for AP, through FA or trade. Suter and Staal come to mind, but so do McDonagh, Sbisa, Johnson (Jack), and an honorable mention to Josh Gorges. Out of all those I'm not as sold on Johnson, but meh.

BadgersandBlues is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 04:39 PM
  #915
Vi Nc E x13x
Registered User
 
Vi Nc E x13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Hi Hab fan here I noticed some here are willing to trade Stewart because of his off year I havent seen many games what seems to be the problem he was so dynamic when he first got traded to st.louis. Also what would it take for mtl to land him?

Vi Nc E x13x is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
  #916
BadgersandBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Nc E x13x View Post
Hi Hab fan here I noticed some here are willing to trade Stewart because of his off year I havent seen many games what seems to be the problem he was so dynamic when he first got traded to st.louis. Also what would it take for mtl to land him?
Make PK Subban shoot left.

Truthfully I don't think MTL has much of anything that we need currently. I love Rene B. (Former Badger baby!) but we really don't need another big physical winger. We could use a true top center, but our largest hole is clearly our top pairing LHD. Other then that this team really doesn't need much.

BadgersandBlues is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
  #917
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Nc E x13x View Post
Hi Hab fan here I noticed some here are willing to trade Stewart because of his off year I havent seen many games what seems to be the problem he was so dynamic when he first got traded to st.louis. Also what would it take for mtl to land him?
The Canadiens and Blues just aren't good trading partners.

The three players that would probably interest the Blues are Pacioretty, Gorges and Plekanec. All of which are non-starters from the Habs perspective. Even if they were willing to move Pleks, the Blues internal budget probably couldn't take the contract.

We aren't in a rush to trade Stewart. If we do move him, I suspect he will be packaged for an upgrade or it will be in basically a 1-for-1 deal for a player with similar upside.

Alklha is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
  #918
CarvinSigX
Meh
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The IL Side
Country: United States
Posts: 9,591
vCash: 500
I agree. The only trade I'd look at if ownership approved, would be something like...

Stewart
Ponich
1st

Plekanec

CarvinSigX is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 05:56 PM
  #919
h22prelude93
Registered User
 
h22prelude93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St.Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I agree. The only trade I'd look at if ownership approved, would be something like...

Stewart
Ponich
1st

Plekanec
I'm pretty sure Montréal says no there...them trading Plekanec would be like us trading Backes. The Blues also say no because they wouldn't want to take on that kind of contract for what would be a 2nd line center.

h22prelude93 is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 06:23 PM
  #920
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Gormley is naturally left sided, I don't recall ever seeing him play right. The fact the Coyotes have so much strength on the left, and Gormley is the best defenseman not in the NHL basically means they think that he will be shoehorned into the team in any way they can. Maybe that will be the case, and Phoenix are confident that transition won't be any problem. In which case we would have zero chance of getting.

As I said earlier, if we could get Gormley and Whitney for Stewart, Rattie and a second then I would certainly make that deal. I'd be willing to move Schwartz for him, but not in a deal with Stewart or Rattie.

As for Yandle, if we want him it would cost us Backes. I can't see them being interested in moving him for anything less.
Thanks for the info on Gormley. That is what I thought but wasn't 100% sure and like you said, they shoehorned him in because he has to play. He's a really great young player and I'd be pumped if they got him to play with Petro. Has a chance at being good enough early in his career.

Agreed that Yandle is definitely a very high price and if it was Backes or nothing there's no point creating a hole to fill another. Didn't even bother asking about him first of all because they're a playoff team over there and so the discussion is moot for now and second of all someone like Chris Stewart would have to just get himself together in a big way. As much as it looks like a longshot, he only had 13 goals through the 56 game mark of the year last year, although he only played 36 because of the injury. IF Chris Stewart put in 15 of 26 all of a sudden Blues fans would be saying, how could we think of trading him and I would still be saying well now maybe we can add Rattie and a 1st and get Yandle over here.

On the concerns about Yandle, I see it as much more of a Suter-Weber than a Coffey-Ozolinsh. Pietrangelo plays nothing like Coffey or Ozolinsh, for one thing, and Yandle is way better than the poor man's Mike Green he's being made out to be. Way better. Why is he being pegged as defensively irresponsible? (not by you but by Badgers whose opinion I respect, sort of conflating the response)

I agree that Staal would be a great addition too, and he too would be in that expensive acquisition category. As great as MDZ and McDonagh have been this year, I'm not sure they're ready to rely on those two. Maybe they are, which would be great for Staal's potential availability, or even one of McDonagh/MDZ's availability, since they have an obvious surplus.

It isn't limited to just one guy. There are options and most of them (NYR, Phoenix, LA) will be looking for scoring. LA is dying scoring wise, Phoenix' cupboard is bare and Whitney's retiring, and the Rangers have been asking about 2d line scoring help because they're structured a bit like us.

For any of this to make sense, Chris Stewart has to get it going. Big time. Hitchcock has been making veiled comments for awhile about it's time to produce or else people aren't going to play as much and we all knew where that was directed. We all know Hitch hates Canadians! It just sucks that he needs this to get motivated (best case).

Hey Badgers, I know you hated my Berglund and Stewart for Ryan idea, but you at least see where I was coming from by not losing much certainly in Stewart and very possibly in Berglund, right? Ryan is a very special player in this league, one I covet. Hell, I'd still make the deal if Hitch is willing to put McDonald at center and then the task becomes find a replacement for McDonald before he retires. The jury is way out on Berglund and the jury is in on Stewart (never going to be consistent enough where you want to risk relying on him). The jury is in on Ryan, he's very special. I watch him whenever I can. Ryan is what we hope Tarasenko becomes in the NHL, they have similar games. I totally understand the hole-at-center argument others come back with which is why I said if Hitch would play McDonald there. Yeah, we'd have to look for a center sooner but vision is hard to teach anyone. Berglund hopes that will eventually come but you either have it or you don't.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
  #921
Blanick
Winter is coming
 
Blanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,704
vCash: 500
I still think the we need a good scoring winger more than a center, while Bergy is having a down year I think a lot of that can be attributed to Stewart's poor play. Thats why I am still on Stewart+Rattie+1st for Eriksson.

Eriksson is an under the radar star, who can play either wing and has a solid two way game. I know I am kinda beating a dead horse but thinking about taking this proposal to trade forum.

Blanick is online now  
Old
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
  #922
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,701
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
I still think the we need a good scoring winger more than a center, while Bergy is having a down year I think a lot of that can be attributed to Stewart's poor play. Thats why I am still on Stewart+Rattie+1st for Eriksson.

Eriksson is an under the radar star, who can play either wing and has a solid two way game. I know I am kinda beating a dead horse but thinking about taking this proposal to trade forum.
I would be interested to see what the Stars fans think of his value. It would probably be a lot though. I do agree, he would be a great fit. Stewart's value on the main board would be near 0, so it would get some interesting responses.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
  #923
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
I still think the we need a good scoring winger more than a center, while Bergy is having a down year I think a lot of that can be attributed to Stewart's poor play. Thats why I am still on Stewart+Rattie+1st for Eriksson.

Eriksson is an under the radar star, who can play either wing and has a solid two way game. I know I am kinda beating a dead horse but thinking about taking this proposal to trade forum.
What'll happen if you do is Stars fans will say no and then you'll wind up arguing over Stewart's value and it'll be like another team trying to convince us to take quantity for Backes (think of something like Hemsky + MPS + 24th overall pick, how would you reply). Ericksson is not that under the radar. He's not far below PPG and played in the All-Star Game. That package is just not going to be embraced by anyone even if you think it should. It just won't end well. But do it if you must.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 09:40 PM
  #924
BadgersandBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Thanks for the info on Gormley. That is what I thought but wasn't 100% sure and like you said, they shoehorned him in because he has to play. He's a really great young player and I'd be pumped if they got him to play with Petro. Has a chance at being good enough early in his career.

Agreed that Yandle is definitely a very high price and if it was Backes or nothing there's no point creating a hole to fill another. Didn't even bother asking about him first of all because they're a playoff team over there and so the discussion is moot for now and second of all someone like Chris Stewart would have to just get himself together in a big way. As much as it looks like a longshot, he only had 13 goals through the 56 game mark of the year last year, although he only played 36 because of the injury. IF Chris Stewart put in 15 of 26 all of a sudden Blues fans would be saying, how could we think of trading him and I would still be saying well now maybe we can add Rattie and a 1st and get Yandle over here.

On the concerns about Yandle, I see it as much more of a Suter-Weber than a Coffey-Ozolinsh. Pietrangelo plays nothing like Coffey or Ozolinsh, for one thing, and Yandle is way better than the poor man's Mike Green he's being made out to be. Way better. Why is he being pegged as defensively irresponsible? (not by you but by Badgers whose opinion I respect, sort of conflating the response)

I agree that Staal would be a great addition too, and he too would be in that expensive acquisition category. As great as MDZ and McDonagh have been this year, I'm not sure they're ready to rely on those two. Maybe they are, which would be great for Staal's potential availability, or even one of McDonagh/MDZ's availability, since they have an obvious surplus.

It isn't limited to just one guy. There are options and most of them (NYR, Phoenix, LA) will be looking for scoring. LA is dying scoring wise, Phoenix' cupboard is bare and Whitney's retiring, and the Rangers have been asking about 2d line scoring help because they're structured a bit like us.

For any of this to make sense, Chris Stewart has to get it going. Big time. Hitchcock has been making veiled comments for awhile about it's time to produce or else people aren't going to play as much and we all knew where that was directed. We all know Hitch hates Canadians! It just sucks that he needs this to get motivated (best case).

Hey Badgers, I know you hated my Berglund and Stewart for Ryan idea, but you at least see where I was coming from by not losing much certainly in Stewart and very possibly in Berglund, right? Ryan is a very special player in this league, one I covet. Hell, I'd still make the deal if Hitch is willing to put McDonald at center and then the task becomes find a replacement for McDonald before he retires. The jury is way out on Berglund and the jury is in on Stewart (never going to be consistent enough where you want to risk relying on him). The jury is in on Ryan, he's very special. I watch him whenever I can. Ryan is what we hope Tarasenko becomes in the NHL, they have similar games. I totally understand the hole-at-center argument others come back with which is why I said if Hitch would play McDonald there. Yeah, we'd have to look for a center sooner but vision is hard to teach anyone. Berglund hopes that will eventually come but you either have it or you don't.
Sorry if I gave the impression that I think Yandle is defensively irresponsible, b/c that's not how I view him. I personally don't watch a ton of Phoenix games, but he seems to play well in his own end....however it does seem that he's the one out of his D pairing who's jumping into the play and triggering the rush....while his partner plays more like Cola does with AP. That's all that gave me pause.

I know you love yourself some Bobby Ryan. I think he's a fantastic player as well. He scores the goals that are just ridiculous (Playoffs against Nashville are you kidding me?) I can't justify giving up on Berglund yet though. I think he's a player we are going to want in another 2ish years. AMac is clearly awesome, the whole game against San Jose I kept saying man, where have you been all my life, but he is one hit away from being finished for his career. I don't think we can take that chance at this point, for a position that was -supposed- to be filled in the acquisition of Stewart. I am much more comfortable with your idea about Iginla, where we don't have to give up quite as much. I don't think we can afford to trade 2/3 of our "second line," with the other 1/3 being an injury (and age) risk, for one pretty good player. It just strikes me as too 1993 all over again, ya know? This is all moot however, b/c Hiller is finally playing like the Hiller of old, and the Ducks are winning again. I would like to find out more about Sbisa though, I wonder if he could be pried from them for a guy like Stewart and maybe a pick.

I think that we can put together a pretty attractive package this off-season for any LHD we want. I'm assuming Jackman is going to resign, and Russell is clearly a Hitchcock favorite (plus he really does compliment Polak well, even if I've been a bit underwhelmed by his ability to put up some points) which means that Cole is basically either going to spend another year in Peoria, (Nothing wrong with that, and could happen) play with AP on our top pairing, (Not sure I'm comfortable with that, and probably won't happen) or become a pretty nice trade piece. (Very likely, and I'm pretty comfortable with it, as long as the return is a true #1 LHD) So if you start thinking about Stewart/Cole/1st as the core of a trade, that's a pretty attractive package, so long as we can sell Stewart's upside. We -might- even be able to sell someone like Tampa Bay on it, and get someone like Hedman. I think that's a bit of a dream though. But no one is going to laugh us off the phone with a package like that.

BadgersandBlues is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 11:42 PM
  #925
Vi Nc E x13x
Registered User
 
Vi Nc E x13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I agree. The only trade I'd look at if ownership approved, would be something like...

Stewart
Ponich
1st

Plekanec
I love plek great shutdown guy but with eller turning into a good shutdown guy(thx btw) I would do this trade

Vi Nc E x13x is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.