WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
Bad bumper.

No biscuit.

No really you shouldn't bump old threads honestly.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:07 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Actually I think it's worth bumping. Dunno about anyone else, but after the last few games I feel like I've got a different perspective on the question altogether.

llamapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Avder
Is only game.

I thought we got this same perspecitve last year when Koivu went down and we just completely fell apart

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:56 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I thought we got this same perspecitve last year when Koivu went down and we just completely fell apart
Yeah, but this year we got confirmation.

I'm gonna admit, I was on the "anti-Koivu" bandwagon at the beginning of the year when he was struggling. Thought that his leadership and his importance to the team was overstated. In light of the last few games, I'm pretty sure I was wrong

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 08:50 AM
SphinX
Bryzniiestiime!

Koivu will never get traded, nor will he ever loose his "C"

end.

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
And we'll probably have the question come up again next year when Granlund has taken over the 1st line center position () and people are wondering if 6.75 million/year is ok for a 2nd line center.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Like I posted earlier, I think Koivu is an elite #2 two-way center on a team that's lacking an elite #1 offensive center. Or you can swap 1 and 2 if it makes you feel better.

We might be able to survive Koivu's absence if we had a Granlund type in the roster who could make things happen by himself. Bouchard's PROBABLY as close as we get to that kind of player.

It's weird, we've got a lot of talent, but it doesn't fit nicely. We've got a shadow of Dany Heatley, we've got a nice secondary center in Cullen, we've got a couple tweeners like Setoguchi, we've got a great PF who's always injured, etc.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:31 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Like I posted earlier, I think Koivu is an elite #2 two-way center on a team that's lacking an elite #1 offensive center. Or you can swap 1 and 2 if it makes you feel better.

We might be able to survive Koivu's absence if we had a Granlund type in the roster who could make things happen by himself. Bouchard's PROBABLY as close as we get to that kind of player.

It's weird, we've got a lot of talent, but it doesn't fit nicely. We've got a shadow of Dany Heatley, we've got a nice secondary center in Cullen, we've got a couple tweeners like Setoguchi, we've got a great PF who's always injured, etc.
Agreed. Which is why I have been pushing hard for Parise. Why? Because if we add him and Granlund, everybody perfectly gets slotted in their ideal position, rather than being pushed up a line.

1st line - Parise-Granlund-Heatley
I am actually jesting when I proclaim that Granlund will get 80 points next year. But, if he played with Parise and Heatley, 60-70 points are well within reach. Parise will create so much space for Heatley, and Granlund will have to great goal scorers to set-up. the Caps Backstrom made the jump to 1st line center instantly because he was playing with some great talent.

2nd line - Bouchard-Koivu-Setoguchi
Bouchard and Setoguchi are 2nd line players. Both have looked decent together. Koivu, is the ideal #2 center. This line would be a thread every night, but it wouldn't have to carry the load every night. If we got 55 points out of Bouchard and 25 goals out of Setoguchi, this 2nd line would be a success.

3rd line - Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Cullen
Checking line with some offensive ability. Cullen and Clutterbuck are good back checkers. You'd have two guys that could take draws. Brodziak is coming into his own. Cullen is too streaky to be a top-6 player

4th line - Gillies/Staubitz/Kassian - Powe - Johnson
I liked Powe more as a 4th line center. Johnson looked good in the begining, but now he's cooled. This would be a pretty standard NHL 4th line.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Agreed. Which is why I have been pushing hard for Parise. Why? Because if we add him and Granlund, everybody perfectly gets slotted in their ideal position, rather than being pushed up a line.

I am actually jesting when I proclaim that Granlund will get 80 points next year. But, if he played with Parise and Heatley, 60-70 points are well within reach. Parise will create so much space for Heatley, and Granlund will have to great goal scorers to set-up. the Caps Backstrom made the jump to 1st line center instantly because he was playing with some great talent.

Bouchard and Setoguchi are 2nd line players. Both have looked decent together. Koivu, is the ideal #2 center. This line would be a thread every night, but it wouldn't have to carry the load every night. If we got 55 points out of Bouchard and 25 goals out of Setoguchi, this 2nd line would be a success.

Checking line with some offensive ability. Cullen and Clutterbuck are good back checkers. You'd have two guys that could take draws. Brodziak is coming into his own. Cullen is too streaky to be a top-6 player

I liked Powe more as a 4th line center. Johnson looked good in the begining, but now he's cooled. This would be a pretty standard NHL 4th line.
Heatley can score when he's set up and has a little room. I do not know if he has the speed to keep up with Parise and Granlund judging by what I've seen this year.

Northland Wild Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Zamuz

When Granlund comes there will be no 1st line, there is 1a and 1b lines.

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Wildfish

Quote:
Is that correct? The team fell apart when he was injured or did it actually nosedive after he came back?

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:05 AM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
Is that correct? The team fell apart when he was injured or did it actually nosedive after he came back?
Fell apart when he was injured. It was so late in the season last year, if I remember right, that when he came back they only had like 10-15 games left in the season, and IIRC it took him a few games to get back up to 100%. They didn't really have enough time to recover from the nosedive they took when he went down.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Seems like this would be tough to fit under the Cap. Brodz is due a big raise if he re-signs with The Wild. Parise is going to get a huge contract from someone. The Wild already has Mikko and Heatley's huge Cap Hits. Grandlund with get the rookie Max, of course, but there will also be some big performance bonus money involved.

Nice line-up but does the money work?

Old
12-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Fell apart when he was injured.
OK, if 5-5-2 equals "falling apart."

Old
12-26-2011, 10:34 PM
mnwild

yeah trade him and heatley for toews and kane

mnwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:45 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Bumping this again;

I still have to wonder if Koivu is the square peg for Minnesota.

He's a gifted player no doubt but I am having my serious doubts that a team can be built around him.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:51 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Bumping this again;

I still have to wonder if Koivu is the square peg for Minnesota.

He's a gifted player no doubt but I am having my serious doubts that a team can be built around him.
I can't think of many other guys I'd want leading our team instead of him. Great leadership and a premiere two way center. He is pivotal to our franchise especially with our bright future. He is/will be a great mentor for Granny.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:57 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
I can't think of many other guys I'd want leading our team instead of him. Great leadership and a premiere two way center. He is pivotal to our franchise especially with our bright future. He is/will be a great mentor for Granny.
While he might be a great leader, he isn't a 1st line player.

We tried Havlat with him. It didn't work out. We had to get Bruno back and we had to have Miettinen play with him because they were the only ones that really worked well with Koivu.

Setoguchi and Heatley aren't working out either.

How many more players are we going to have before we simply regulate Koivu down a peg and have someone like Brodziak or Cullen skate first line?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:12 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Koivu is a great captain and absolutely belongs on this team. Also... not sure you can say it would be building around him anymore when Granlund comes over. It would then be Granlund that they would be building around.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:

We tried Havlat with him. It didn't work out. We had to get Bruno back and we had to have Miettinen play with him because they were the only ones that really worked well with Koivu.

How many more players are we going to have before we simply regulate Koivu down a peg and have someone like Brodziak or Cullen skate first line?
Brodz or Cullen instead of Koivu? Ha.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:19 AM
Thumper17

How does Stajan, Jokinen and a 2nd sound?

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:

I would have to agree. He is kind of like our version of Ryan Kesler. Great two way player that can chip in offensively, but not a player you want to be your first line center if you want to contend for a cup.

I don't really know if switching in Brodzy or Cullen in for him on the top line is the solution though. In the short run it is definitely worth a try. I want to see Cullen and Heatley together. But in the long run we need a dynamic scoring center to lead our teams first line.

IMO Granlund is too small to really be a dominant center in the NHL like a Thornton, Toews, or Getzlaf. He is just another playmaker. I see him developing into a Bouchard like player with less speed. I'm hoping Coyle or Phillips can continue to develop there offensive game and maybe take that first line center spot someday.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:14 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:

20 other teams in this league would kill to have Koivu as their 1st line center... Just saying.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:14 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Because Brods and Cullen have been rockstars lately. Cullen has gone into his second half of the year disappearing act again, and Brods finally came out to see if he saw his shadow last night. When Koivu was out, people finally got to see Cullen on the top line. He and Heater were brutal together. Not pretty.

Worrying about who centers the top line should be the least of our concerns. Have you seen the defense this past month? You might want to stop the bleeding back there before moving on to smaller issues.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote