HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Opinions on Mike Yeo

Old
11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
MK9

vCash: 500
I was on the fence about him being selected as coach. Not totally against it, just slightly skeptical. But, I share the belief that teams take on the personality of their coaches. Seems this is what has happened with the team. Yeo has that air of confidence, without being arrogant. Some coaches have this hubris or false bravado. Basically poor attempts at projecting confidence. You can tell it's genuine with Yeo. There seems to be no quit and no mental block of 'Well we're down and out and can't come back'.

But, I'll say this. It's great they are playing together as a group. I believe they've all bought into Yeo's system 100%. I also believe they still haven't completely gotten it nailed down. I think they're close. Once the last few pieces become instinct to the players. They won't have to think about the small things. I think at that point the scoring will start to open up some more. I think this system plays very well to a guy like Cullens game. Which would be why he is scoring and playing well. I'm not using that as an excuse for Koivu, Seto and Heater. But, I think it's probably a part of it why they're not scoring. I think as the system continues to become second nature for those guys, I think the scoring from them will increase.

I'm hoping the PP will continue to get better, but that was something Yeo was in control of in Pitt. The names they had there and the Pens PP was still really bad. The good thing is I think Yeo is the kind of guy that is good at analyzing and fixing problem areas.

I'm on board with the guy and I'm honestly excited about the future and direction of this franchise. They keep going this way and this team is going to be a force.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 12:17 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Love to hear things like this. I think there's a video about it on Wild.com as well.

Also intrigued that he's making them practice tomorrow. Good on him for not taking the foot off the gas. Article.
Quote:
"I'm impressed," he said. "But we have to get better."

NHL1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 12:31 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Love to hear things like this. I think there's a video about it on Wild.com as well.

Also intrigued that he's making them practice tomorrow. Good on him for not taking the foot off the gas. Article.
It's awesome that the team can have some fun like that while still taking practice seriously!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Jagged Ice

Caught that too in the post game press conference. Yeo was asked if the team was taking tomorrow off. He said "no we're going to practice...we need to get better." Man and team on a mission!

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:23 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged Ice View Post
Caught that too in the post game press conference. Yeo was asked if the team was taking tomorrow off. He said "no we're going to practice...we need to get better." Man and team on a mission!
Whoever loses the next "contest" in today's practice should have to put a turkey on their head for 30 minutes. The rest of the guys get to pose with him for photos.

Old
11-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I'm really liking Yeo's passion for the sport. The guy is holding a practice on Thanksgiving while the team is number 1 in the league and saying it's not good enough.

The Wild will have ups and downs this season, but Yeo really seems like he is able to get guys to believe in his system and play in a confident manner. IMO he will be in the running for the Jack Adams award if the Wild make a good showing in the playoffs.

1,000th post

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Jbcraig1883

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I know it's still early this season but I think Mike Yeo deserves some Jack Adams talk. He's doing a hell of a job. I always enjoy his post-game comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
1,000th post
Congrats!

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:22 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Hawks fan here... would just like to say that while it's still early, I'm super jealous of your teams coach. Great example of doing alot with a little, as opposed to the Hawks coaching staff who like inventing new ways for our star-studded roster to completely call it in some games.

Becoming Wild was super cool, and I absolutely hope we meet you guys in the playoffs this year. Your guys are playing like theyre hungry, and I like it alot!

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Hawks fan here... would just like to say that while it's still early, I'm super jealous of your teams coach. Great example of doing alot with a little, as opposed to the Hawks coaching staff who like inventing new ways for our star-studded roster to completely call it in some games.

Becoming Wild was super cool, and I absolutely hope we meet you guys in the playoffs this year. Your guys are playing like theyre hungry, and I like it alot!
Thanks Homie. I think the same of Yeo.

Mumbler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

If the Jack Adams were awarded today I cant think of anyway it would not be awarded to Mike Yeo for what hes done with this team. I was expecting the turnaround to take a lot longer, like, most of the season and then we barely make it in, if we make it in, but hes made this team pull a high speed u-turn and it seems like were doing nothing but gaining momentum.

I'm a believer in this guy 100%.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:44 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Best part of the off-season. I also give Fletch major credit for having the cajones to take well-thought risks. Not all will pan out, but the reward for persevering... All I can say is not many people would do it.

Thank you to Yeo, Fletch, and the team that is buying in with dedication so far.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Jbcraig1883

Just watching this guy talk to media, on the bench, etc. makes ME feel confident. Confident about what, I don't know, but he certainly has an aura...

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 04:53 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Just watching this guy talk to media, on the bench, etc. makes ME feel confident. Confident about what, I don't know, but he certainly has an aura...
Funny you mention that, but it's absolutely true. A person can almost walk with their head held a little higher after listening to his comments. He's THAT good at it. Cripes, I've got finals coming up. Wonder if he'd accept some money in exchange for a few words of wisdom.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Know what I like most about Yeo? Gives guys "chance to respond." Many coaches wouldn't have come back with Bax. #mnwild
http://twitter.com/#!/rstanzel/statu...86553468518400

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:46 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

anyone care to guess my opinion?

i don't think i've posted in this thread yet...

I was the founder of the #FireToddRichards twitter tag two months into his tenure...

well, it's been two months...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:51 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Yep. Very similar to how he pulled Backstrom aside for a quick chat before a shootout earlier this season. He passed on some words of confidence and support, and Backs went out and won it that night. It worked then, and it works now. And one of the things that stood out was Backstrom's comment later that night saying how it was nice to know that the coach had his back.

There's a reason why Yeo is the coach and we're sitting in the stands. Because I sure as heck wouldn't have put Backs in tonight.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:11 AM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Doesn't ever settle for a median standard which I like, a team wins 3-1 or so and says we can still play better.

Haven't seen a Wild team like this in years. Hopefully Latendresse can come back soon, we miss his goal scoring ability.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

It's still pretty early but I love what I'm seeing out of Yeo so far. He tells it like it is and doesn't always look for the positives, thus ignoring the negatives which is one thing Richards was guilty of sometimes. Also, the players seem to not only be buying into the system he's teaching, but excelling at it. Most importantly, it seems he's getting respect from the players, something they didn't do for Richards.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:32 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
It's still pretty early but I love what I'm seeing out of Yeo so far. He tells it like it is and doesn't always look for the positives, thus ignoring the negatives which is one thing Richards was guilty of sometimes. Also, the players seem to not only be buying into the system he's teaching, but excelling at it. Most importantly, it seems he's getting respect from the players, something they didn't do for Richards.
He doesn't need to try to look for anything, as he completely understands what he sees going on in a game...no having to look at the tape to figure it out.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:11 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
--After watching a slow start to practice, Yeo called the players to center ice and reminded them of the need for more energy. And that is a translation that, if not quite literal, is certainly more suitable to a family blog. "I was hoping I wouldn't need to," Yeo said of his speech. "But after we went a couple times it was apparent that we probably should."
Linky

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
It appears phoning it in is no longer an option for Wild players.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:19 PM
EkiE

He seems to be good young bald Hcoach and wearing glasses to look smart.

EkiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Good to hear they aren't screwing around in practice. They do need to get better, like Yeo says.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

I like the sound of todays practice. Still kind of disappointed that Heater is still with Koivu. That line just doesnt work.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote