Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinions on Mike Yeo

Old
12-02-2011, 01:47 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Good for Yeo. He has to be in the running for coach of the year. The fact we're in December and we're in the top 5 of teams is amazing when people had us last LOL

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:26 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
If he wanted to, this guy could get the players believing in Santa Claus.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
If he wanted to, this guy could get the players believing in Santa Claus.
Can he get Heatley to believe he has the ability to score more than 1 goal in a game?

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:40 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Can he get Heatley to believe he has the ability to score more than 1 goal in a game?
He's saving that for the 2nd half.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

vCash: 50
I hope Wellman gets some good time in the top-6 on this west coast road trip coming up.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:20 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

if we play with the same energy we did in this last game we're not going to do to well or make any of our call ups look good during this trip. Yoiks that was frightening to behold. Would be fantastic if Wellman keeps it up or makes himself un-demotable while Lats is out. Clutter can come back and take his rightful place on the third line and with he and Brodz back there we'll have three threatening lines...Ha, or at least three lines that are as likely to score as the others.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:27 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
if we play with the same energy we did in this last game we're not going to do to well or make any of our call ups look good during this trip. Yoiks that was frightening to behold. Would be fantastic if Wellman keeps it up or makes himself un-demotable while Lats is out. Clutter can come back and take his rightful place on the third line and with he and Brodz back there we'll have three threatening lines...Ha, or at least three lines that are as likely to score as the others.
Agreed. Clutterbuck is great on the 3rd line. That's his spot. He should get pushed out of that role.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:19 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Article on Mike Yeo:

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2011/11/...sct=nhl_bf2_a4

Quote:
You might think that sounds an awful lot like how Jacques Lemaire coached the Wild (and the Devils), and it does to the extent that both Lemaire and Yeo preach sticking with the system in all circumstances. Both also produced good defensive records and the Wild rank fourth in the NHL in goals allowed per game (2.17). But you’d be wrong to equate the substance of the two coaches’ systems.

Under Lemaire’s trapping system, his team fell back and passively defended, forcing turnovers in the neutral zone and then counterattacking. For Yeo, it’s all about getting the puck deep, behind opposing defenders and outworking them, keeping it in their end, grinding them down, forcing turnovers in the offensive zone and capitalizing. If you stick with it long enough, Yeo preaches, you’ll get rewarded. Your opponent will cough it up eventually if you keep the pressure on.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:05 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Agreed. Clutterbuck is great on the 3rd line. That's his spot. He should get pushed out of that role.
We saw some interesting line combos last night that I wouldn't mind seeing some more of. Heater-Koivu-Wellman managed to eke out a couple times. I actually wouldn't mind seeing that "Heater to the third line" suggestion someone made the other day:

Wellman-Koivu-Clutterbuck
Butch-Cullen-Seto
Johnson-Brodziak-Heater

I think Heater's weaknesses mesh really well with that line, Koivu works best when he's by far the best player on his line, and the Butch-Cullen-Seto line has worked well when they're not being matched up against stronger defensive lines.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Yeoda. heh.

wonder if NHL.com can use that without paying Lucas.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:43 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

(via reddit)

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:26 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Props to Yeo and Sydor for addressing the issue and trying to change it up.

Excerpt from Russo's blog.

Quote:
2. The other morning before the Devils game, I asked coach Mike Yeo about the power play, and he talked about the lousy 5-on-3 the Wild had in Edmonton that very well could have killed them. It was stationary, not aggressive. After the game, assistant coach Darryl Sydor got together with guys like Heatley and Mikko Koivu to diagram a new alignment with a tweak in personnel.

Cullen replaced Jared Spurgeon, and he went down low with Setoguchi and Bouchard. Koivu and Heatley were at top.

Tonight, the Wild, down 2-zip, got a big 5-on-3 late in the first. Heatley scored with 3 seconds left when he flashed the slapper through a perfect Setoguchi screen. Beauty of a blazer.

“The key to a 5-on-3 is to have a threat up there, and Seto’s got to trust me there,” Heatley said in Heatleyesque way. “I just have to pick a side and not hit him.”
It's pretty hard to not get caught up in the score, but if they can do it, more power to them.

TSN.ca

Quote:
"We have a group of guys in there that are not going to quit, they're not going to give up and look for excuses," rookie coach Mike Yeo said. "One thing we can really credit our success with is that we try not to get wrapped up in the score. We just know that it's about the next shift, going out and playing our game. All it takes is one play to get us right back in there."

Last edited by NHL1674: 12-05-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old
12-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

The only thing thats really worrying me at this point is the lack of passing and breakout ability, keeping us hemmed in our own zone game after game. Were supposed to be forechecking in the offensive zone and causing turnovers, and then being aggressive in their zone. We cant do that if were always stuck in our zone and by the time we get it out, all we can do is dump and change, only to get hemmed in again once they enter the zone once more.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Well I have one criticism against Yeo that's fairly plain to see.

The slow starts. I really want to see that taken care of. The Wild were down 2-0 right away in last nights game, and it seems like they always need to come back. This should be one of the main things that Yeo works on improving.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:57 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
The only thing thats really worrying me at this point is the lack of passing and breakout ability, keeping us hemmed in our own zone game after game. Were supposed to be forechecking in the offensive zone and causing turnovers, and then being aggressive in their zone. We cant do that if were always stuck in our zone and by the time we get it out, all we can do is dump and change, only to get hemmed in again once they enter the zone once more.
Last night the defensive problems weren't really passing or breakouts, we just couldn't get our sticks on the puck in the defensive end. Anaheim did a great job with zone control. They kept us hemmed in our own end because we were chasing them while they just moved the puck around.

There were a couple bad breakout attempts early in the game, but in the third we just couldn't touch the puck.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:00 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post

The slow starts. I really want to see that taken care of. The Wild were down 2-0 right away in last nights game, and it seems like they always need to come back. This should be one of the main things that Yeo works on improving.
I'll take the slow starts if it means we play to the final whistle once we get going. I'd much rather the first period be the death period. That way we still have time for a comeback.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post

I guess its partly cos our system is built to be fully effective after 2 periods of grinding down the opposition.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:52 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I'll take the slow starts if it means we play to the final whistle once we get going. I'd much rather the first period be the death period. That way we still have time for a comeback.
a friggin men. the game Yeo preaches is hard as hell to pull off for a full 60 minutes, let alone doing it 82 games/ 60 minutes per night. (unsustainable?) It seems to me in the slow starts the team is playing and studying the opposition, then responding. I don't know if that's what he's going for, but I'd much rather be the team that has the answer to the other team than the one posing the question night after night in the first period. It seems like a passive attitude but we've responded well thus far. there will be a few hiccups of course (probably tonight) where the other team responds back and we might not have the time to answer, but through the course of the season I like the fact that our effort goes up in a game rather than graphing down as the clock runs out.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Yeo said he wasn't all that unhappy with period 1, and I agree. Anaheim had a couple brilliant goals, but got outshot 17-9 and outchanced as well. The Wild deserved no worse than 2-1 after that period.

Now the 3rd is another story....

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Yeo said he wasn't all that unhappy with period 1, and I agree. Anaheim had a couple brilliant goals, but got outshot 17-9 and outchanced as well. The Wild deserved no worse than 2-1 after that period.

Now the 3rd is another story....
The 3rd was just about our inability to match their desparation for the most part, which happens from time to time.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
a friggin men. the game Yeo preaches is hard as hell to pull off for a full 60 minutes, let alone doing it 82 games/ 60 minutes per night. (unsustainable?) It seems to me in the slow starts the team is playing and studying the opposition, then responding. I don't know if that's what he's going for, but I'd much rather be the team that has the answer to the other team than the one posing the question night after night in the first period. It seems like a passive attitude but we've responded well thus far. there will be a few hiccups of course (probably tonight) where the other team responds back and we might not have the time to answer, but through the course of the season I like the fact that our effort goes up in a game rather than graphing down as the clock runs out.
I guess I'm alright with it, but in the past the Wild would never have been able to come from behind under our old coaches. With very few exceptions. I just wish they would start and finish strong.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:24 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

well our effort (vs. skill, as in most of the high end teams) is what pushes us above the competition most nights and effort is just that--effort. it's harder physically to win that way when you're relying on it more than the blackhawks or redwings or canucks have to to get the same results in the standings. we seem to be pacing ourselves and it's getting results. but the concerns about slow starts are completely valid--there are going to be games this year (especially against very disciplined teams) where we fall behind early and just don't have enough skill to beat the puck into the net.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
well our effort (vs. skill, as in most of the high end teams) is what pushes us above the competition most nights and effort is just that--effort. it's harder physically to win that way when you're relying on it more than the blackhawks or redwings or canucks have to to get the same results in the standings. we seem to be pacing ourselves and it's getting results. but the concerns about slow starts are completely valid--there are going to be games this year (especially against very disciplined teams) where we fall behind early and just don't have enough skill to beat the puck into the net.
Well to be fair, it's hard to score when playing the trap and against it.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's almost like rope a dope...instead of starting strong then having a death period then trying to get back up, they start a little slow then grind and grind and grind until the end. Then we take advantage of other teams' death periods.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
mnwildgophers

I just feel like we don't have the horses to move that puck out of our zone sometimes, we make a lot of bad decisions. I know it happens to the best of players, but it just seems like we have such a hard time getting out of our own zone especially the Zanon/Stoner pairing. We need some help on that back end eventually here I would think specifically breaking that pairing up, shipping off Zanon somewhere else and bringing in someone who can make a breakout pass, but I feel like I'm nitpicking when this team is clearly not a fluke. You don't win 14 of 18 and be a fluke, we're a good team.

Yeo has a good system, and when we play that system, you can see how good we look (1st and 2nd periods vs Annie). I don't think we even started slow, the backdoor goal was a killer for us and Annie capitalized on their PP, and was hemmed in our zone at the beginning of the game, but we had a ton of chances. Let's just keep up the winning ways, and we'll be fine. We have an odd streak of winning 5 then losing 2 in a row horribly followed by another 5 games of winning. I'm proud of the way this team is playing and I'm sure they can keep it up.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote