HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Martin

Old
07-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Carl33

vCash: 500
Matt Martin

Hello NYI fans, I saw Matt Martin in your depth chart...this kid look like a beast in his 5 games stint...tell me about his skills, skating, upside and dou you think he will be an Islanders this season?

He got 15 body check in 5 game with 9 min/game and 26 PIMs

How he look in the prospect camp? With petrov and maybe Nino...dou you think there's still a roster spot for him?

Carl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Dice on Ice

50/50 on making the roster this year. I'd personally hang him back and try to capitalize on the glimmer of hope that he matures into a top six forward. The kid's dedication and work ethic are off the charts, and his improvement since his draft year has been positively astounding. In prospect camp, the skating jumped out the most. However, more subtle improvements like his screens in front of the net are equally important.

Most forecasted Martin as a fourth line grinder in the NHL who will stick up for teammates and bring energy by constantly being physical. I see that as his absolute worst-case scenario at this juncture. Martin has shown good offensive aptitude, from his strength on the puck, to his good cycling game, to his net front presence, to his very surprising shot and playmaking skills. He was a very unheralded fifth round pick who by all accounts could've gone undrafted had the Isles not plucked him there. However, that's gonna pay serious dividends by this time next year at the latest.

The possibility of him becoming top six material is rather remote, but to doubt him after all he's accomplished would be folly. He personifies everything that the Islanders are trying to become. No matter what he ends up being as an NHLer-- fourth line grinder, third line all-around contributor, or consistent top six winger in the Milan Lucic mold-- he will be a fan favorite and a lifer here. You can take that much to the bank.

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:15 AM
OK Okposo

Hope he makes it to the big club this year... hes definitely earned it.

OK Okposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:35 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
Most forecasted Martin as a fourth line grinder in the NHL who will stick up for teammates and bring energy by constantly being physical. I see that as his absolute worst-case scenario at this juncture. Martin has shown good offensive aptitude, from his strength on the puck, to his good cycling game, to his net front presence, to his very surprising shot and playmaking skills. He was a very unheralded fifth round pick who by all accounts could've gone undrafted had the Isles not plucked him there. However, that's gonna pay serious dividends by this time next year at the latest.
That's basically where I put him, he is 4th line most likely, 3rd liner at best. He basically will be a Asham clone(which considering where we drafted him is not a bad thing)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 05:15 AM
IslesNorway

I guess Martin will see some time with the Isles this coming season, but I think it would be better for his development to spend most of his time in Bport and getting called up occasionally.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:05 AM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl33 View Post
Hello NYI fans, I saw Matt Martin in your depth chart...this kid look like a beast in his 5 games stint...tell me about his skills, skating, upside and dou you think he will be an Islanders this season?

He got 15 body check in 5 game with 9 min/game and 26 PIMs

How he look in the prospect camp? With petrov and maybe Nino...dou you think there's still a roster spot for him?
The Isles absolutely need to find a spot for Matt Martin this upcoming year. He is a type of player every team needs. He can change momentum with some shifts. The isles would be making a mistake IMO wasting him in Bridgeport.

In a few years I see MM riiding shot gun to some skilled guys on a regular shift, this upcoming year he will most likley start on the 4th and work himself up after injuries.

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:27 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
The Isles absolutely need to find a spot for Matt Martin this upcoming year. He is a type of player every team needs. He can change momentum with some shifts. The isles would be making a mistake IMO wasting him in Bridgeport.

In a few years I see MM riiding shot gun to some skilled guys on a regular shift, this upcoming year he will most likley start on the 4th and work himself up after injuries.
i would rather see him play 18 minutes a game in bport right now then play on the 4th line... this kid has raw offensive talent..its there...their is no reason to rush him

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Islander Forwards

Current roster Top 4:
Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Moulson (assumed)

Current roster Middle 5:
Schremp, Nielsen, Comeau, Hunter, Parenteau

Current roster Bottom 3:
Konopka, Gillies, Weight (assumed)

(By the way, the homepage only lists 10 current forwards. Moulson and Weight are not included.)

Serious candidates to make noise at camp:
Petrov, Joensuu, Martin

Very outside chances to make noise at camp:
Rakhshani, Ullstrom, Niederreiter, Haley (if retained)

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Islander Forwards

Current roster Top 4:
Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Moulson (assumed)

Current roster Middle 5:
Schremp, Nielsen, Comeau, Hunter, Parenteau

Current roster Bottom 3:
Konopka, Gillies, Weight (assumed)

(By the way, the homepage only lists 10 current forwards. Moulson and Weight are not included.)

Serious candidates to make noise at camp:
Petrov, Joensuu, Martin

Very outside chances to make noise at camp:
Rakhshani, Ullstrom, Niederreiter, Haley (if retained)
This is spot on.

Just want to add that: You have to figure that Gillies will be an extra man so the Islanders will carry at least 13 forwards. I think that spot will go to Martin.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:31 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
This is spot on.

Just want to add that: You have to figure that Gillies will be an extra man so the Islanders will carry at least 13 forwards. I think that spot will go to Martin.
I agree that is a good chance of happening but i think that Gillies won over the coaching staff at the end of last season. Unless his spot is stolen by a streaking player, I think we could look at Gilles being an everyday 4th liner.

Think of the quote although I cant remember if it was Snow or Gordon talking of how Konopka wasnt a replacemnt for Gilles but someone who will play alongside of his this coming season.

I do think they will carry an extra forward and maybe extra dman with the big club this year my thoughts are that it will be Parenteau and Gervais though.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I agree that is a good chance of happening but i think that Gillies won over the coaching staff at the end of last season. Unless his spot is stolen by a streaking player, I think we could look at Gilles being an everyday 4th liner.

Think of the quote although I cant remember if it was Snow or Gordon talking of how Konopka wasnt a replacemnt for Gilles but someone who will play alongside of his this coming season.

I do think they will carry an extra forward and maybe extra dman with the big club this year my thoughts are that it will be Parenteau and Gervais though.
konopka will be an everyday player , gillies will dress when needed

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
This looks about right.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:51 AM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
i would rather see him play 18 minutes a game in bport right now then play on the 4th line... this kid has raw offensive talent..its there...their is no reason to rush him
The Isles have an asset right now, use him, dont waste his abilities at Brideport. The way martin plays his career could be over his next shift. He runs through walls for his coach and teammates. Might as well be on the Island. He can hone his offensive abilities practicing against NHL players and playing 10-12 minutes a night to start off in the NHL. The Isles were a better team last year with Martin in the lineup.

Old
07-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Jets82

Am I missing something on Parenteau? I saw him play a few times with Hartford and with the Rags last season and was not very impressed. Is he considered a lock to make the team?

Jets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Sneekypete

Start him in Bport and let him work on his offensive game. If he is deserving mid season give him a call but he has raw offensive potential and it should not be wasted playing 4th line minutes in the NHL at the present time.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:58 AM
NYI78

Quote:
The Isles have an asset right now, use him, dont waste his abilities at Brideport. The way martin plays his career could be over his next shift. He runs through walls for his coach and teammates. Might as well be on the Island. He can hone his offensive abilities practicing against NHL players and playing 10-12 minutes a night to start off in the NHL. The Isles were a better team last year with Martin in the lineup.

4th line players don't play 10 minutes..they have an asset with work could be a 15 to 20 goal scorer...but it needs to be developed...he has HANDS and talent its just raw

Old
07-14-2010, 09:26 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
4th line players don't play 10 minutes..they have an asset with work could be a 15 to 20 goal scorer...but it needs to be developed...he has HANDS and talent its just raw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Start him in Bport and let him work on his offensive game. If he is deserving mid season give him a call but he has raw offensive potential and it should not be wasted playing 4th line minutes in the NHL at the present time.
I know you both have seen Martin play a lot of games in BP and you've both been consistent in your view that he needs time. I tend to agree based on what we saw from him with the Islanders last year. You can tell he's raw and that's why I wouldn't rush him into the NHL.

For the TYPE of game he needs to play to be effective, I believe his UPSIDE is much higher if he can work on his OFFENSIVE game in Bridgeport. Imagine him on a top line with veteran AHL scorer (like a Ketih Aucoin/A. Giroux/Mauldin/Smith last year - that TYPE) and a top pure offensive talent like a Petrov/Joensuui (if he's ready for that role) - he'd get a chance to play important minutes as a support player on an offensive line.

He wouldn't get that chance THIS year in the NHL. He'd be a 3rd 4th liner, limited minutes, in a narrow role - ala Sim/Bergie.

Too limiting for him at this stage, given his potential upside, IMO.

This is primarily why power forwards take longer to develop. Their games are more complex. There's more they can offer but it takes much longer to develop ALL THOSE areas.

A guy like Bailiey or Tavares, are limited in their offering. They are pure offensive players that need to ADJUST to the NHL and learn to deliver OFFENSE while learning to be reliable defensively. That's a MUCH SMALLER ask than being a tough guy, a support player to an offensive guy, a fighter (at times), screen the goalie, dig for pucks, go to the net. That's the guy I'd like to see Martin become.

Quote:
The reasons above are why I disagree with you. If he earns a spot in the top nine, and plays there consistently, then I'd agree with you. I just don't think he's better at this stage than others that would play in the top nine.

Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Moulson, Nielsen, Comeau, Hunter, Schremp - leaving one spot for:
Weight (on occasion), Parenteau, Martin, Petrov, Niederreiter, Joensuu, Ullstrom

(I also expect them to add a forward. If they don't, Martin can be in the NHL with a great camp. I'd say it's between Martin, Joensuu and Petrov - outside shot Niederreiter to earn a spot in camp if another NHL-forward is NOT brought to camp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets82 View Post
Am I missing something on Parenteau? I saw him play a few times with Hartford and with the Rags last season and was not very impressed. Is he considered a lock to make the team?
Apparently Gordon liked him a lot from when he coached in the AHL. They think he can be this year's Matt Moulson.
I think Snow/Gordon have earned the benefit of the doubt. We shall see.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Isles Junkie

Trade Hunter (if you can), let Martin & Joensuu fight for the spot, profit...

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:48 AM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I know you both have seen Martin play a lot of games in BP and you've both been consistent in your view that he needs time. I tend to agree based on what we saw from him with the Islanders last year. You can tell he's raw and that's why I wouldn't rush him into the NHL.

For the TYPE of game he needs to play to be effective, I believe his UPSIDE is much higher if he can work on his OFFENSIVE game in Bridgeport. Imagine him on a top line with veteran AHL scorer (like a Ketih Aucoin/A. Giroux/Mauldin/Smith last year - that TYPE) and a top pure offensive talent like a Petrov/Joensuui (if he's ready for that role) - he'd get a chance to play important minutes as a support player on an offensive line.

He wouldn't get that chance THIS year in the NHL. He'd be a 3rd 4th liner, limited minutes, in a narrow role - ala Sim/Bergie.

Too limiting for him at this stage, given his potential upside, IMO.

This is primarily why power forwards take longer to develop. Their games are more complex. There's more they can offer but it takes much longer to develop ALL THOSE areas.

A guy like Bailiey or Tavares, are limited in their offering. They are pure offensive players that need to ADJUST to the NHL and learn to deliver OFFENSE while learning to be reliable defensively. That's a MUCH SMALLER ask than being a tough guy, a support player to an offensive guy, a fighter (at times), screen the goalie, dig for pucks, go to the net. That's the guy I'd like to see Martin become.

The reasons above are why I disagree with you. If he earns a spot in the top nine, and plays there consistently, then I'd agree with you. I just don't think he's better at this stage than others that would play in the top nine.

Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Moulson, Nielsen, Comeau, Hunter, Schremp - leaving one spot for:
Weight (on occasion), Parenteau, Martin, Petrov, Niederreiter, Joensuu, Ullstrom

(I also expect them to add a forward. If they don't, Martin can be in the NHL with a great camp. I'd say it's between Martin, Joensuu and Petrov - outside shot Niederreiter to earn a spot in camp if another NHL-forward is NOT brought to camp)

Apparently Gordon liked him a lot from when he coached in the AHL. They think he can be this year's Matt Moulson.
Obviously I like Martin alot. FRom a selfish standpoint I want to see him play in the NHL now. Let me ask you a question. Are the Islanders better with Martin in the lineup ? yes or no? I would think that's all that matters. Personally I feel MM is ready to contribute to a NHL team now.

He reminds me or a poor man's Rick Tocchet when he came up with Philly. Ovetime MM can very well become a TOP six player whom will protect our top offensive guys with skill. I see martin popping in 20 one day. It would be a huge letdown if "knock on wood" he shatters a knee or shoulder playing across the pond at Brideport. Not saying this will happen but the shelf life of a guy like Martin is not long due to the way he plays. I hope over time Martin will pick his spots so he can carve out a long and fruitful NHL career. If the Isles stick him on the bridge there is no doubt MM will play balls to wall and could very well obtain a career threatening injury along the way. I hate being negative but MM belongs on the Island now. he is mentally tough to handle the bottowm role and will evolve over time into a top six. Just the way Clarkson plays for the DEVS. The Isles need a guy like Martin now.

anyway, its a good debate to have over a solid 5th round pick in 2008. Our 2008 draft is evolving into something special eh?

bailey, Hamonic, Ness, Donovan, Petrov, Ulstrom, Martin, Poulen, Trivino who is looking like a bust. I may of missed someone else but the Isles have a shot at six everyday NHler's from one draft. As it is, Bailey, Hamonic, Petrov and Martin are NHL talents right now.

Old
07-14-2010, 10:40 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Obviously I like Martin alot. FRom a selfish standpoint I want to see him play in the NHL now. Let me ask you a question. Are the Islanders better with Martin in the lineup ? yes or no? I would think that's all that matters. Personally I feel MM is ready to contribute to a NHL team now.

He reminds me or a poor man's Rick Tocchet when he came up with Philly. Ovetime MM can very well become a TOP six player whom will protect our top offensive guys with skill. I see martin popping in 20 one day. It would be a huge letdown if "knock on wood" he shatters a knee or shoulder playing across the pond at Brideport. Not saying this will happen but the shelf life of a guy like Martin is not long due to the way he plays. I hope over time Martin will pick his spots so he can carve out a long and fruitful NHL career. If the Isles stick him on the bridge there is no doubt MM will play balls to wall and could very well obtain a career threatening injury along the way. I hate being negative but MM belongs on the Island now. he is mentally tough to handle the bottowm role and will evolve over time into a top six. Just the way Clarkson plays for the DEVS. The Isles need a guy like Martin now.

anyway, its a good debate to have over a solid 5th round pick in 2008. Our 2008 draft is evolving into something special eh?

bailey, Hamonic, Ness, Donovan, Petrov, Ulstrom, Martin, Poulen, Trivino who is looking like a bust. I may of missed someone else but the Isles have a shot at six everyday NHler's from one draft. As it is, Bailey, Hamonic, Petrov and Martin are NHL talents right now.
i understand what you are saying totally and i get it...and i think clarkson comparssion is fair...however i would rather have brendan morrow than clarkson and i see that in martin...

Old
07-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Trade Hunter (if you can), let Martin & Joensuu fight for the spot, profit...
I have to agree here. Hunter is a solid player, but he's becoming more and more redundant and more talent trickles up to the big club. He's a character guy, but the team is loaded with character guys. He battles well along the boards and lays hits, but he's not overly physical. He provides some offense, but he doesn't go to the front of the net often enough for a big guy. He's good for the cycling game, but he's the slowest skater on the team... even slower than Tavares in my estimation.

You throw all that in with the idea that Hunter's had some trouble staying healthy, and I'd have to say it makes him available. For teams that need a veteran character guy who can provide constant effort with an offensive spark, I think he has value because he's under control at a pretty reasonable rate for a long time.

If you can use someone like him as part of a package for a solid defenseman, I'd pull the trigger on it.

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Hipster Doofus

My problems with Hunter stem from his inability to play a full season and his lack of footspeed. If the Isles could unload him they should, they depth and size on the wings to replace him. Whether it be promoting a prospect or demoting Comeau.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
TeamKidd

i believe i read in another thread that Gordon believes Petrov to be an NHL player right now and so I think he definitely makes the team.....which i'm fairly certain will leave Martin, JJ, and Ullstrom in BPT until an injury comes along. at which point the one playing the best will get a cup of coffee.

I think next year is a better time to consider martin for a full time job.....same for JJ, dehaan, nino, and maybe ullstrom & KK. (boy thats a lot of talent to add in a club in one year!!)

...at which point we'll probably see exits from hunter & schremp...and this team COULD be stacked 3 lines deep. woo!

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
He also signed a 1 way contract, he'll make the team unless waived which is unlikely until the season starts.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:52 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
i believe i read in another thread that Gordon believes Petrov to be an NHL player right now and so I think he definitely makes the team.....which i'm fairly certain will leave Martin, JJ, and Ullstrom in BPT until an injury comes along. at which point the one playing the best will get a cup of coffee.

I think next year is a better time to consider martin for a full time job.....same for JJ, dehaan, nino, and maybe ullstrom & KK. (boy thats a lot of talent to add in a club in one year!!)

...at which point we'll probably see exits from hunter & schremp...and this team COULD be stacked 3 lines deep. woo!
Parenteau could be usurped by Martin...as far as the rest of your post goes, why didn't I think of that???

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote