HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Weighted vests

Old
11-22-2011, 09:29 PM
sauce9397

vCash: 500
Weighted vests

has anybody tried using one of these during practices? I am thinking about asking for one for Christmas. Hope it helps to boost my speed and quickness on the ice during games.

Any suggestions? Advice on a certain vest?

sauce9397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:48 PM
noobman

I've been doing some research into it myself.

From what I've seen, it sounds like a weighted vest can be great for drills. It may alter your centre of gravity while skating, which could hamper your coordination a little bit.

Here's an interesting excerpt from Peter Twist:

Quote:
Weight Vests:

Weight vests force the player to skate with added mass, with the idea of making the effort harder. They also raise the skater's centre of gravity, which forces the skater to adopt a lower hip and knee position to counteract this. This in itself will overload their legs, and will force them into a good position to handle high speed tight turns. I have used vests for conditioning laps, flow drills, and tight turn drills. Players can handle the puck okay when wearing the vest, but I do avoid any body contact, agility maneuvers, or stop and starts - the added weight on the upper body creates a concern for lateral and rotational stresses on the knees. Moreover, the low back region may be susceptible with long duration skates. Vests have their merits within controlled drills for a segment of a practice.

Source: http://www.playyourgame.com/overload.html
I've seen a specialized hockey vest and beyond that a more standard MIR weighted vest which looks like a good general purpose weighted vest that won't interfere with your upper body movement too much.

I also found an interesting weighted belt product from a place called Bronko Hockey. It's designed to fit around your hockey pants at the hips and supposedly gives you the advantages of a weighed vest without altering your centre of gravity, putting your lower back at risk of injury, or impeding movement. It looks like they've filed for a patent as well, so they seem to believe in the product.

Last edited by noobman: 11-22-2011 at 09:54 PM.
noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I've been doing some research into it myself.

From what I've seen, it sounds like a weighted vest can be great for drills. It may alter your centre of gravity while skating, which could hamper your coordination a little bit.

Here's an interesting excerpt from Peter Twist:

I've seen a specialized hockey vest and beyond that a more standard MIR weighted vest which looks like a good general purpose weighted vest that won't interfere with your upper body movement too much.

I also found an interesting weighted belt product from a place called Bronko Hockey. It's designed to fit around your hockey pants at the hips and supposedly gives you the advantages of a weighed vest without altering your centre of gravity, putting your lower back at risk of injury, or impeding movement. It looks like they've filed for a patent as well, so they seem to believe in the product.

Good info, especially about the start and stop and contact aspects. I was wondering about the weight and center of gravity affects but it seems all good from that standpoint.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote