HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

What gives NHL, why the disrespect to the Wild?

Old
11-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Consensus seems to be that the Wild are one of the biggest frauds out there.

Also, metrics have a very real and important place in baseball. Hockey? Um... Ya, no.
I didn't realize it either, but I read it on HF so it must be true.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
JACK ADAMS AWARD
Winner: Kevin Dineen, Florida
Runners-up: Peter Laviolette, Philadelphia; Dave Tippett, Phoenix
Comment: New coaches frequently get early results, but the Panthers have done so with a roster that underwent serious overhaul in the offseason. In a similar vein, Peter Laviolette has the Flyers playing at a high level after significant summer trades that saw the Flyers ship out Jeff Carter and Mike Richards and bring in half a dozen forwards, most of whom are playing significant roles. Dave Tippett and Barry Trotz could be included virtually every year, but Tippett gets the edge right now, while Tom Renney (Edmonton), Glen Gulutzan (Dallas) and Mike Yeo (Minnesota) are among others that might be faring better than expected.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381196

Laviolette worked there. Makes sense.

Last edited by Fel 96: 11-24-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Dee Oh Cee

MIGHT be faring better than expected?

Dee Oh Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:33 AM
mnwild

vCash: 125
Who cares if they're being talked about on NHL.com or not?

It's probably because they feel as they don't need to advertise Minnesota because its already got a good sized fan base that is here to stay, and they feel like its more worth their time to advertise other teams where fans are likely to pay attention based on winning, media coverage, etc.

I say stop *****ing about it.. who cares. Just keep on winning, Wild.

mnwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:51 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

NHL video feature calls us the #1 surprising team in the league.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=DL|NHL|home

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 05:10 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
NHL video feature calls us the #1 surprising team in the league.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=DL|NHL|home
and we're one of the 9 top stories! Help, too much attention *beep* shutdown *beep*

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 05:32 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
and we're one of the 9 top stories! Help, too much attention *beep* shutdown *beep*

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=nhl-rxl-twt

"Derek Boogard"

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:17 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Burnside didn't drop the Wild too far in the power rankings (7th from 5th) even after the two blowouts. That's a huge change in perspective.

TSN currently has a Wild headline: "Wild stop two game losing streak with win over Lightning"

We're moving up in the world!

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:25 AM
CG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Burnside didn't drop the Wild too far in the power rankings (7th from 5th) even after the two blowouts. That's a huge change in perspective.

TSN currently has a Wild headline: "Wild stop two game losing streak with win over Lightning"

We're moving up in the world!
Had a good chuckle after watching TSN's highlight vid from last night. They don't even bother to show Clutter's shorty and barely anything on what a great game Backstrom had. The whole thing was about Stamkos.

CG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Dee Oh Cee

It's not even like Stamkos dominated...he had 2 great scoring chances and scored on one of them...well then again I missed the 1st so maybe he was more dominant in that period but really we held them back pretty well.

Dee Oh Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:33 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I thought Stamkos looked good. Not overly impressive like some other stars have appeared against the Wild but his speed and skill is hard for the Wild to stop if he's got some space.

For me, I was a little surprised by how invisible Connolly was. Can't say I've watch Tampa much this year but for how he's regarded on HF and what not I would have figured he would have been more prominent.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:43 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
I thought Stamkos looked good. Not overly impressive like some other stars have appeared against the Wild but his speed and skill is hard for the Wild to stop if he's got some space.

For me, I was a little surprised by how invisible Connolly was. Can't say I've watch Tampa much this year but for how he's regarded on HF and what not I would have figured he would have been more prominent.
To me, Stamkos is becoming yet one more player that I would consider generational talent. He finds a way to just dominate. This far into the season, Ovi is "meh" in my mind and the two top players in the NHL right now are Crosby and Stamkos.

Connolly has been invisible in the four Tampy games I've watched so far this season so last night wasn't really an exception to how he's been playing. He has the skills but he just seems timid, almost like he's paranoid that any hit will bring back his injury. In particular, any time he's around the boards, he just looks like he wants to get the F away from them...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:45 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

The few Tampa games I've seen (just previous Vs games, and anything on HNIC) he's been pretty invisible. I certainly wouldn't say he's dominated anything. However, he's been fairly good defensively as well.

Old
11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Cant stand Stamkos since his "high stick dive" here in Winnipeg. Burmistrov lifted his stick and there wasnt even any contact to Stamkos' face yet he went down like he got shot. Reminds me of a Canuck tactic. Needless to say after that, everytime Stamkos touched the puck he was met with a chorus of boos from the crowd

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:41 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
Cant stand Stamkos since his "high stick dive" here in Winnipeg. Burmistrov lifted his stick and there wasnt even any contact to Stamkos' face yet he went down like he got shot. Reminds me of a Canuck tactic. Needless to say after that, everytime Stamkos touched the puck he was met with a chorus of boos from the crowd
There was a tripping call against Heatley last night that's somewhat similar. Stamkos was twisting around to try grab at a flying puck, and Heatley skated past. He might have brushed against Stamkos, but it didn't look like there was actually any contact whatsoever. Heatley went to the box and Stamkos skated off with this extremely guilty look on his face that just screamed "I drew a penalty when he didn't do anything!"

Old
11-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2011/11/...sct=nhl_t12_a1

A little respect for the red light blog on Si.com

pretty interesting read, actually differentiated Yeo's system from Lemaire's.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:10 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2011/11/...sct=nhl_t12_a1

A little respect for the red light blog on Si.com

pretty interesting read, actually differentiated Yeo's system from Lemaire's.

Not even two sentences in and they already get the facts wrong.

Quote:
Mike Yeo, the NHL’s youngest coach, has his Minnesota Wild tied with the Chicago Blackhawks for first place overall in Western Conference after a 2-1 win over Tampa Bay on Monday night.
I'll read on and edit with my thoughts on the article

Overall I thought it was a good read. It's nice to see that some people out there actually watch the Wild and realize that they haven't been playing the same system since 2000. Good find, Wild48.

tyratoku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:30 PM
nickschultzfan

I really wanted Connolly (or Skinner) to drop to the Wild. But Connolly really hasn't been any more impressive than say Wellman at the NHL level. I realize Wellman is 3-4 years older than Connolly, but I'm talking about their current impact.

I'm currently happy with Granlund dropping to us. Although, that could change if Connolly puts it together, which has a high probability, and Granlund can't.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post

Not even two sentences in and they already get the facts wrong.

I'll read on and edit with my thoughts on the article

Overall I thought it was a good read. It's nice to see that some people out there actually watch the Wild and realize that they haven't been playing the same system since 2000. Good find, Wild48.
Yeah the wrong score was kinda funny... but I let it slide considering the rest of the article was actually pretty well researched.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 05:42 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post

He's an incredibly talented player, but things like this and that questionable trip on Heatley really make me lose some respect for him.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post

He's an incredibly talented player, but things like this and that questionable trip on Heatley really make me lose some respect for him.
I did enjoy watching him leave Heatley in the dust when he scored last night though. It was a treat. Stamkos has the puck while Heatley doesn't, therefore Heatley has a slight advantage skating since he doesn't have to worry about hanging on to the puck, and he still isn't even close to skating as fast as Stamkos.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:20 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Grantland's piece from yesterday opens with comments on the Wild.

Old
12-01-2011, 10:32 AM
mnwildgophers

The thing about the Wild so far this year is the ability to take points out of games (3), and to be able to get those extra points 5 times. Also, if you look at the schedule, we don't have a very long losing streak. If we lose 2, we answer back with 5 straight wins (this has happened twice already this season). We lose 2, we answer right back with 2 straight wins. We just don't give up and if we play a bad game, we re-group, and get ready to go back to doing the things that win us games.

I'm trying not to care about not being talked about a ton, but since we are staying near the top of the conference for the time being, NHL network is starting to talk about us a bit after the Oiler game. We were the 3rd game shown (behind DET-TBL, BOS-TOR) which isn't all that bad, but it was kind of funny because they had a graphic up that said something like "Wild in 1st place in the NHL!!" We are starting to get a little recognition after last night, there were numerous tweets saying how we were tops in the league and stuff. I'm still falling under the typical Minnesotan mantra that we are going to screw it up somehow, but I'm really enjoying what Yeo has to say after games winning or losing. He can consistently pick out things that Richards would have just looked at you oddly.

The thing is that we can't take a losing streak because the point spread in the Western Conference. From us to 8th, it's only 5 points. That's quite a few points considering the loser point, but we've seen us blow things like this before. I'm enjoying the road, and anything this season is just icing on the cake. Next year is our year (FBJ SAVE US!!!)

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:52 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Well, it's hard to do less than point per game in today's NHL. Since '07-'08, only 5 or 6 teams in the league each season finished with fewer than 80 points. If the Wild go 0.500 for the remainder of the season, we'll finish with 90 points, which should be about 5 points out of the playoffs. So, as long as we finish 0.544 (say 31-26-0 or 28-23-6), we should make the playoffs.