HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks (2) vs Senators (1) | The Heartbreaker Edition

View Poll Results: Who was the Senators best player?
Auld 55 55.56%
Michalek 5 5.05%
Kuba 0 0%
Spezza 11 11.11%
Gonchar 1 1.01%
Greening 8 8.08%
Da Costa 1 1.01%
Cowen 1 1.01%
Foligno 0 0%
Smith 8 8.08%
Daugavins 2 2.02%
Alfredsson 1 1.01%
Butler 1 1.01%
Karlsson 4 4.04%
Other 1 1.01%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Billy Madison*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Never suggested you coined the phrase, just that you are the only person to use it in the context of Filatov.

Each of us can interpret things differently, but MacLean's words were pretty clear, he wants Filatov to use his skill and make plays with the puck. I interpretted those statement he made to mean Fialtov needs to have a confidence boost, so a stint in the AHL may help.

Murray's words were more general in nature, to some extent sounded like the typical words spoken when a player is demoted.

If working smarter was the criteria to play on the Sens, Why is Foligno there again??
I took it to mean that he needs to figure out how to use his skill at the NHL level. Look at a guy like Schremp, so much tallent but he could never put it together. Filatov has a higher tallent level then that and is a much better skater but he needs to be able to use his head so those assets can be put to use.

Again, I personally believe it isn't a matter of Filatov getting a chance, it's a matter of something clicking up stairs. If it does, I think he goes on to have a very good NHL career. If he doesn't the KHL is a great way to make a living. It's more mental than physical IMO and I base that on the way he plays the game right now.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:35 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

vCash: 1000
I find it funny that the GDT has yet to close.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Holdurbreathe

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
I took it to mean that he needs to figure out how to use his skill at the NHL level. Look at a guy like Schremp, so much tallent but he could never put it together. Filatov has a higher tallent level then that and is a much better skater but he needs to be able to use his head so those assets can be put to use.

Again, I personally believe it isn't a matter of Filatov getting a chance, it's a matter of something clicking up stairs. If it does, I think he goes on to have a very good NHL career. If he doesn't the KHL is a great way to make a living. It's more mental than physical IMO and I base that on the way he plays the game right now.
That's fair.

BTW I am not sure if he got a fair chance or not, life isn't alway fair. I do believe young players need more time to adjust than older, more mature players. I do think the Sens lousy start and the one way contracts didn't help his cause, leading to a fairly predictable result,

I have watched Filatov alot this fall, including games he has played in the AHL. My take is the difference between his offensive play in Bingo and Ottawa is night and day. Lehner is right, he looks like he is too good for the AHL at times.

I think this leads people to feel he just needed more time to adjust to the NHL level of play. Sometimes making the step to the NHL has more to do with circumstances than just talent. With the signing of Smith, Condra, Greening, Butler and Konopka the kids were going to have to be outstanding to stay with the team or hope for injuries.

I hope he decides to stick it out in Bingo, the Sens could definitely use a player of his skill in the future.

PS Schremp was a head case, he didn't work at the game and if the rumours are true partied hardy. Edmonton couldn't straighten him out, nor the Islanders and the Thrashers bid goodbye after 18 games.

Comparing Filatov to Shremp is just nasty.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:26 PM
KarlSen

Nothing is as sexy as a player not in the line-up.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Godinster

I was at this game live, my first Sens game. Although there were clearly a ton of Canucks jerseys, there was an entire section near me that was Sens fans. I dunno if it came across on TV or not, but there were several "Go Sens Go" chants throughout the game, some louder than others.

Godinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:03 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godinster View Post
I was at this game live, my first Sens game. Although there were clearly a ton of Canucks jerseys, there was an entire section near me that was Sens fans. I dunno if it came across on TV or not, but there were several "Go Sens Go" chants throughout the game, some louder than others.
Yeah when I lived in Van a few years back I was always surprised by how many Sens fans showed up to the Sen/Van games, good to see!

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:42 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Skunk View Post
quietly impressed in Konopka.

Face off wins: 5 , Face off losses: 1
He does a lot of good things for this team, including helping the centres with faceoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Our PP let us down.
Yea, they have to get the PP going again. It seems that it's the same old story, they are trying to make that perfect pass & pass too much & not enough shots on net. Get the puck to the net, we have guys now parked in front of it.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Yea, they have to get the PP going again. It seems that it's the same old story, they are trying to make that perfect pass & pass too much & not enough shots on net. Get the puck to the net, we have guys now parked in front of it.
Their zone entry has been sketchy of late. Do it for a while, teams prepare for the way you do it, then you must adjust. This is why PPs can often be inconsistently good and inconsistently bad. We could use some better puck control on our PP going forward.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote