HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Is this not their job?

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Hab-Dawgs

vCash: 500
Is this not their job?

You would think that it is in the best interest of Slob Goodenow and Gary Sh*tman to get this whole conflict resolved so that the players can play, and the owners can make money. Because they will all lose a lot of money if there is no season.

My best bet as to what those two jokers are doing right now is probably relaxing in some hotel room, having all their "expenses" paid for them, figuratively jerking it...

Bobby Orr had a good idea when he said lock them in a room until they figure something out. And I don't understand why that's not being done. They should be under extreme pressure from their respective organizations to get a deal worked out, and oh yeah, in case I forget maybe the fact that there's 200 million fans that would really like them to take their fingers out of their ***es and figure something out....

Their job is to make sure the league runs and that the players are happy with the way it's being run. If they're not doing that, maybe they should get someone who actually cares about there being a hockey season next year.

Geez. Someone's gotta do something......

Old
09-14-2004, 03:46 PM
John Flyers Fan

Bettman only needs the support of 8 owners to get his way .... some of the more moderate owners and especially owners in the large markets made a big mistake giving him that much control.

Old
09-14-2004, 03:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Bettman only needs the support of 8 owners to get his way .... some of the more moderate owners and especially owners in the large markets made a big mistake giving him that much control.

I guess it is time for the big market owners to get in his face. He can't fire the owners.

Although the same owners just extended his contract not too long ago...

Old
09-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Tom_Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Although the same owners just extended his contract not too long ago...
What does Bettman make? Does asnyone know?

Tom

Old
09-14-2004, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Benjamin
What does Bettman make? Does asnyone know?

Tom
More than anyone who has done nothing to be benefit of the NHL.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Source

Quote:
Bettman, 49, did not disclose the terms, but reports have speculated he will make between $3 million and $3.5 million per year. He has been the commissioner since Feb. 1, 1993.

Old
09-14-2004, 05:10 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

And apparently, unlike Goodenow, Bettman still gets paid during a lockout. He still gets paid, the warchest keeps the debts paid, except the average guys in the office at the NHL Warchest not meant for that stuff.

Old
09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

the nhl will lose considerably less money by not having a season as opposed to having one.

Old
09-14-2004, 08:24 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
the nhl will lose considerably less money by not having a season as opposed to having one.
I know the NHL ownership group continues to say this, but I don't buy it for a second.

Old
09-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I know the NHL ownership group continues to say this, but I don't buy it for a second.
Like Ted Saskin said, with their proposal they will be more benefit to the owners than not having a season at all.

To me it's like 1994. Play in January you play 50% of the season & you get all the playoff revenues.

Closed Thread