HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

#19 - 11/21/11 - Your New Jersey Devils @ Florida Panthers 7:30 PM ET

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
They have more points than us (although we have a game in hand), so nothing to underestimate... Should be a fair fight all around.

WIN THIS, BOYS!
Ya, but the Panthers have been the sad sack of the league for so long, it's hard to think of them any other way. Just have to make sure the guys get up for this like it's a big game. I think they will, if only because they're trying to win for DeBoer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
Considering the epic gong show that is the NBA lockout, which can only help hockey, that should be a sufficient cautionary tale to get something done quick and without drama in the NHL.

(One hopes.)
And I would have thought that the previous NHL lockout would have been caution enough for the NBA to avoid their lockout, but apparently not. Hopefully the NHL has learned something this time around.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Ledger_NJDevils Rich Chere
Dmitry Kulikov told SunSentinel DeBoer was too stern: "With Pete it's one mistake and you're like shaking for the rest of the game."

Michal Repik told SunSentinel this about playing for DeBoer: "To go out there you are scared to play; that's not the right thing for us..."

I'm imagining what Trottier would say about these pansies.

Have to be nice and coddling to the kiddies, because they are the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
lol what a bunch of softies

Lemaire would have them in tears
Forget Lemaire, I'd love to see what would happen under Keenan or Hitchcock.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:21 AM
njdevil26

I wish Lemaire could be around just for press conferences. Could you imagine if he was the coach of the Kenyan Olympic Marathon team?

Reporter "Coach, all three of your runners just set world records. How do you feel?"

Lemaire "Well... they are out of shape."

Old
11-21-2011, 08:22 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Dmitry Kulikov told SunSentinel DeBoer was too stern: "With Pete it's one mistake and you're like shaking for the rest of the game."

Michal Repik told SunSentinel this about playing for DeBoer: "To go out there you are scared to play; that's not the right thing for us..."

Old
11-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

They're no Panthers

a bunch of ***** cats

Old
11-21-2011, 08:31 AM
theking72
Confucius Ackbar

Quote:

It's all relative. Debour must seem like a party to the Devils.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
its crazy how close the conference is....I know its only 1/4 into the season but still

we are in 10th technically right now. by the end of tonight we could potentially be 2 points from 1st lol

Old
11-21-2011, 08:33 AM
VaxjoDevil

Not that I believe DeBoer is that harsh. But laugh at it all you want, to perform under pressure is not helped with a leader that is going nuts on every mistake.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:41 AM
manisback121

Its a difference between a team that is capable of tiring it around and a team that is less capable.

Remember the last coach we played under and won the last game of the playoffs...very demanding, but kind when doing well; extremely demanding and temperamental when bad.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Devils731

Also, Sutter had a similar issue moving from Juniors to Pros, and I don't think they're the only coaches to have that issue.

With Juniors you can use the whip more often then on millionaire pros. It's not right but it's just what reality is.

Both coaches, seemingly, learned to use a carrot and a stick over time, instead of just the stick.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I don't think DeBoer is that harsh. If he is, that fact hasn't come out to TG or Chere before now. He is benching rookies, but usually it's deserved, and every single time we get a report on the reason why, and what the rookie can do to play his way back into favour. That's not the arbitrarily stern and forbidding coach the Panthers are describing.

And it seems like the team is having plenty of fun playing for him. I'm sure if you asked the Devils for their honest opinion without the Lou-imposed filter, you wouldn't get the same response the Panthers gave. The Devils players genuinely seem to like him.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:42 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

I feel like I should copy and paste what I said about hitch over the summer (gee, how’s he doing with those blues, anyway?)

coaches can change. especially when their previous behavior/strategies resulted in getting fired. I think PDB even mentioned over the summer that he learned a lot from FLA and wasn’t looking to make the same mistakes twice with players, and he had to adapt his AHL-honed strategy, etc.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:47 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Not that I believe DeBoer is that harsh. But laugh at it all you want, to perform under pressure is not helped with a leader that is going nuts on every mistake.
Sir Alex Ferguson.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:49 AM
ADD-devil950003

LGD!!!!! You know Pete wants to bury his old team. Help out your coach boys, he deserves this win!

Old
11-21-2011, 08:50 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Sir Alex Ferguson.
Wait, are you imply that the stone statue has emotions?

Old
11-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
its crazy how close the conference is....I know its only 1/4 into the season but still

we are in 10th technically right now. by the end of tonight we could potentially be 2 points from 1st lol
It's crazy how the current points system forces relative parity on the league for so long into the season. Nobody has really been separated from the pack yet, except the Jackets and maybe the Islanders.

Old
11-21-2011, 09:02 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Sir Alex Ferguson.
Completely different culture and situation. Ferguson is not harsh on mistakes but on attitudes. A soccer coach like him has to temper big, big divas, huge stars in the biggest sport in the world. More often than not, they want to decide how they should play, instead of their coach.

Old
11-21-2011, 09:04 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Wait, are you imply that the stone statue has emotions?
Stone statue? Really? He's one of the most fiery personalities in all of sports...also probably the most successful "coach" that spans across all major professional sports.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9172623AA4pAJh

Quote:
Mark Hughes, former United striker and now Wales manager, said: "He would stand nose-to-nose with you and just shout and bawl, and you would end up with your hair behind your head." Mark Hughes gave the nickname to the fearsome decibel-busting rollickings dished out by the boss over his 20 years in charge at Manchester United.

Ferguson insisted: “There are a lot of myths. One of the papers once claimed that I used to go behind the stand at East Stirlingshire and practise screaming. But there’s an element of truth in it. The hairdryer thing was started by Sparky, he owned up to it after he left. I can understand that because of my policy in the dressing room.”
He's so tough on underperforming players that he has his own form of discipline.

Quote:
Completely different culture and situation. Ferguson is not harsh on mistakes but on attitudes. A soccer coach like him has to temper big, big divas, huge stars in the biggest sport in the world. More often than not, they want to decide how they should play, instead of their coach.
Sure the personalities in football have to be broken down, but I don't think the situation is that different.

Old
11-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

So even if DeBoer is/was a hardass... he's had to have learned from his mistakes. His NHL coaching tenure is what... 3 years?

I like DeBoer so far.

Old
11-21-2011, 09:07 AM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I don't think DeBoer is that harsh. If he is, that fact hasn't come out to TG or Chere before now. He is benching rookies, but usually it's deserved, and every single time we get a report on the reason why, and what the rookie can do to play his way back into favour. That's not the arbitrarily stern and forbidding coach the Panthers are describing.

And it seems like the team is having plenty of fun playing for him. I'm sure if you asked the Devils for their honest opinion without the Lou-imposed filter, you wouldn't get the same response the Panthers gave. The Devils players genuinely seem to like him.
I pretty much agree with all of this.

If you do what the coach demands you get rewarded, just look at Henrique. He's worked his way up to the 1st line playing with Zach and Kovy and even though he's made a couple of mistakes now and then there's been no indication of Deboer punishing him.

Old
11-21-2011, 09:08 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:

I had a lot of respect for Kulikov. Guess that's gone. Who knew a professional athlete could be that big of an insecure baby.

Old
11-21-2011, 09:11 AM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
I've seen plenty of examples of the opposite. There's been instances when he's made a substitution at half time because of mistakes.

Old
11-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

LGD!!!

Old
11-21-2011, 09:12 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
I had a lot of respect for Kulikov. Guess that's gone. Who knew a professional athlete could be that big of an insecure baby.
I don't understand this. How do you assume he is an insecure baby without knowing what actually happened?

Old
11-21-2011, 09:14 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
I've seen plenty of examples of the opposite. There's been instances when he's made a substitution at half time because of mistakes.
Yeah well, everybody has to be harsh on mistakes, to a point. But I don't think that is Ferguson's genius. His success is built on being able to handle star players's ego, I think.

Closed Thread